Pink Floyd vs Led Zeppelin

Which one?

• Total voters
I go for Floyd. I´ve got both of their catalogs and listen to their work front to back. Each band has an album that I absolutely can´t stand later in their career (Coda-LZ and Final Cut-PF) but in general, I listen to Floyd more, I know them better, and hate hearing them on the radio (since it is either going to be "Money" or "ABitW pt2).

In high school, I listened to Dark Side on a daily basis, either in my car or in my room. Since then, I got exposed to the rest of the material and liked a lot of what was going on before Dark Side.

On an unrelated side note, an unsubstantiated rumor: In 1967, Pink Floyd with Syd Barret at the helm were busy recording their first album, Piper At The Gates of Dawn, at Abbey Road studio. Another band heard the sound that these guys were making and said, "We need to make an album like this!"

The band was the Beatles and the album was Sargent Pepper.

well they did meat in abbey road, im not sure who was playing chest with who but it did happen...
and how about what a shame mary jane...
its seems like a duo between pink and beatles :)
i remember john saying in a interview that he was sad that they never recorded it cuz he liked it

wiki said:
Another belief is that the song was influenced by Syd Barrett, the early leader of Pink Floyd, who were recording at Abbey Road Studios at the same time as The Beatles in 1967. A long-standing legend states that Barrett actually appeared on and co-wrote the track, leading to the song's tenuous inclusion on many Pink Floyd bootlegs. However, nobody who was actually present at the recording has ever corroborated this.

Also the phrase Mary Jane is generally considered to be slang for marijuana. Bob Dylan introduced The Beatles to marijuana (1964) in a New York hotel room when he offered the Fab Four pot...
judging from the mood-lyrics i can easily believe he (sid) was part of it

edit : oh and you can listen to that song here (sid): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm9CgeDHOsc&feature=related

or here (john): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixKCfJhW_x8&feature=related
^the first pic use in the video tells a fuckin lot...:)

oh and another edit..
i did vote for Paul in the paul vs john cuz john wasnt as much of a influence for me, due to the fact that is style of coolness, introspection wasnt as influential on me due to others doing the same, people like sid, lou reed...
paul was rock and roll, little Richard was rock and roll... in his respective scale paul his kicking more ass than john in his respective scale...

Last edited:
this is the most pointless rediculous poll ive seen on here APPLES & ORANGES what the fuck.

what the fuck is wrong against comparing apples to oranges
some people likes to compare science to religion (faith against logic) isnt that more lame ?
how about digital vs analog

why the fuck should we compare identical twin ?
and why do some of you criticizing these poll dont participate in other not pointless thread (or create new one for that matter...)

oh and apples and oranges is a great pink floyd single :)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=58&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

contrary to some i love the sid barrette era pink floyd, more trippy, more innovative
edit : well they were really innovative in the studio with DSOTM...(my fav)

never really got into pink floyd as much as i did zeppelin. i went with zeppelin because of my musical taste and its good to peel out to

ninjadanslarbretabar said:
and why do some of you criticizing these poll dont participate in other not pointless thread (or create new one for that matter...)
I do, on occasion.

However, the way in which 99% of threads degenerate into juvenile 'x is better than y' arguments deters me from becoming more involved.

And for somebody who has been an avid music fan since the early 60's, has played in bands (some professional) since the early 70's and continues to write and contribute to various music journals and books, that's a pretty sad reflection of the ability of this forum to maintain music lovers' interest :\

i know what you are saying, i do most of my music reading outside this forum due to that :(
but i rather read something light than nothing cuz most people dont make the effort to write or read more than one liner

i made 5 vs thread
1 of them as reach 3 pages
3 of them 2 pages
and they are still being bump
and then people started creating new one, aka participating more in this forum
if thats the level of discussion that will make this forum alive then so be it
there is alway those other place outside bluelight for those more elaborate discussion- reading

other thread ive made:
a James brown appreciation thread
the guy is one of the most influential figures in 20th century
...it got 2 response

favorite album to sing along to

died after 5 response

theme of the week : elements (wind, fire, water, earth)
3 response...

so like i was saying id rather make easy thread with people participating than having a dead forum

:\

and if you are a musician how about bumping those :

fellow musicians - show off yer gear v.2

Musicians - review your gear!

I like Floyd a lot, but compared to Zeppelin, they're kind of niche. I can put on some Zeppelin no matter who I'm with, no matter what state of mind, and get something out of it. I can't really say the same for Waters & crew, but looking at the poll, I guess I'm in the minority.

GratefulFloyd said:
I would like to see something like ELP vs Yes

wait wait wait like emerson lake and palmer vs. YES or El-Producto EL-P vs yes? Cause El-Producto's got my vote, and vs Emerson Lake And Palmer, YES has my vote...

THIS IS A DRUG FORUM!!

Of course Pink Floyd's gona win

led zeppelin cannot get enough stairway to heaven, also, i think they were more influential. god wat i would have gave to go to the zep concert with jason bonham

Man, this for me is like getting a parent to admit who their favourite child is. Although if I had to listen to one of those bands, and only of them for the rest of time, I would have to go with Pink Floyd.