• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Gardening Club: Ploughing FUBAR's infertile Fields

Something on three levels with pools at top and bottom and a cascade between - only a couple of feet from top to bottom and neither pool more than about a square yard in area.

What do you call a water feature?!!!

I can't wait until its summer again.

Make my garden all tip top and have BBQ parties :D

Fishface said:
Something on three levels with pools at top and bottom and a cascade between - only a couple of feet from top to bottom and neither pool more than about a square yard in area.

8o

An eighty thousand gallon wildlife pond - in truth it's the only one I ever constructed :\ & that was twenty odd years ago - it still holds water & assorted wetland creatures BTW . However one needs waterproofing as a basic element =D either butyl liner (expensive & puncturable & ugly) or Fullers earth ( ask the silly cow with the conctrete pilings for some, as I recall she had a layer running under her residence).One must 'puddle' the Fullers earth. Some nice stonework (rustic tha knaas) finally a 'funky' rill adjoining the two ponds & a solar or wind powered pump for water movement.Fountains are for pretentious twats according to my big boys book of pretentiousness. That'd be my interpretation of your desire. Personally I reckon the bigger the better, but like everything it's a question of scale I suppose. :)

What size area is to be devoted to this aquatic masterpiece ?

Aren't architects supposed how to know how to create these things on paper?

B9 said:
An eighty thousand gallon wildlife pond
8o Jeepers!!! 8o

B9 said:
Aren't architects supposed how to know how to create these things on paper?
Yeah, but I always value the experience of those who have actually undertaken such work- lots of things 'look alright on paper' 8) ;)

As I said, the two pools will only be in the region of a square yard each and neither more than a foot to eighteen inches deep - the garden's not big enough to have much larger - unless I turn the whole thing into a pool!!! =D

Something a bit like this, I suppose:

poolay8.jpg

Last edited:
Sorta attractive puddles then ? ;)

The sound of running water is soothing apparently, go for it. Letting it run out into an area to create a swampland isn't a possibility is it ?

B9 said:
Sorta attractive puddles then ? ;)
Ya got it in one! ;)

B9 said:
Letting it run out into an area to create a swampland isn't a possibility is it ?
Not really - the Kitchen's at a lower level than the garden!!! 8)

What plans have you got for your patch, mate?

^ Herbs aplenty - climbers & eventually a hornbeam arbor.

^ How so - it'd be nice- good old native plant as well, very underrated tree is hornbeam.It makes brilliant topiary/ hedging/arbors etc.

Just joshin' ;)

I bow to your superior knowledge of trees, dear friend.

I'm planning a coupld of espaliered fruit trees - probably an Egremont Russet apple and a peach - while I've also got a pomegranate coming - apparently they used to grow them a lot round this way, so the landlord of me local, myself and another of our number are going to have a go at growing them :)

Do BL restrictions on sources also extend to nurseries, I wonder? :\

Russett apples are delicious - best British apple in my opinion - tho I haven't tried many varities. Pomegranates - I mean why ? personally I'd have thought greengage/plum for jams & tarts & chutneys.Pomegranates are picky fiddly fruits as I recall.

B9 and Fishface, lets get a before and after pic of your garden.

^ If you're planning to remain here for a few years I'd be glad to :D - it might even bring out my competitive streak that I misplaced sometime ago.:)

I've a feeling I took a couple of photos of the building site that comprises my once nice garden. Somewhere on this computer :) .......I think ?

Fishface said:

I've always cheated using large-ish plastic sandpits you find at toy stores. Easy to cut with a saw, move around by yourself etc. A little solar pump (you still see the sun in Britain don't you?) connected back to the original pit will recycle nicely. Obviously plenty of silicon to seal. Then camoflage with sand, rocks/boulders etc. Not too much demand for pond type features round here, tend to attract disease carryong mosquitos unless you fill with fish.

Waiting for the last of the 36 deg C days before I plant out my vegie patch for winter. I do miss my English garden with winter greens that thrive on a frost. I'd kill to be able to grow decent leeks but even the winter here fries eggs....

B9 said:
Pomegranates - I mean why?
I'll get back to you on that! ;)

Edit: Here we go, matey :) : http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-on-the-appeal-of-the-pomegranate-772994.html

eDDe9 said:
B9 and Fishface, lets get a before and after pic of your garden.
Your wish is my command:

gardennb0.jpg

and one looking back towards the house, which we aim to cover in baskets & large window-box:

img9514gt6.jpg

Busty St Clare said:
I've always cheated using large-ish plastic sandpits you find at toy stores
Fantastic idea - cheers! :D

Last edited:
Mines more like it looks like over your garden wall fishface !

Nice job so far tho :)

Good to see original bricks.
What area you living in?

lovely garden fishy, i'm envious. is it all your own or shared with neighbours?

i like the way you've cheekily hung bird feeders on your neighbour's overhanging tree. where other people see a problem, you've seen an opportunity. %)