• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

GBL/ GHB withdrawal HELP

watering714

Greenlighter
Hello. I had been taking gbl everyday, many times (10 times or so) a day for the past month or so.
I need it to stay asleep at night, taking it throughout the night or else I can't sleep.

Now I am going to stop, and when I start taking it less I just completely feel like shit. I am drinking lots of water because I'm extremely dehydrated
I've read the best ways to help with g withdrawals are valium and alcohol, but what if I don't have either?

My question to you is what helps to minimize the withdrawal symptoms, and how long will this withdrawal feeling really last? Is there anything serious to be looking for?
Last time I stopped, it was only 1 day of feeling the awful withdrawals(feeling extremely bored), but I was using much less. This time I am slowly taking less and less because I don't belive I can stop altogether without suffering panic attacks and other odd feelings.

There are a few of us all experiencing the same withdrawal symptoms, we all decided to stop at the same time.

I appreciate any feedback, I am somewhat desperate. I should have consulted bluelight earlier, but was a bit embarrased

The golden rule: Get rid of all the GBL/GHB/1,4-B lying around, and your sources for them.

Alcohol and benzos definitely help, but they actually don't cover all the w/d symptoms.

I haven't tried this myself, but I have read on here (with scientific support) that diphenhydramine or other relatively safe anticholinergics help a LOT, not just for sleep, but also for the general symptoms since they are cholinergic.

Try to avoid stimulants, including caffeine and nicotine.

I personally found small doses of Ketamine helpful, but K helps me with just about anything!

Good luck - the worst should be over in 3 days. Psychological symptoms may last much longer. The sooner you stop, the less you suffer.

Good call with the diphenhydramine, I didn't think of that.
I have been using K very moderately, and it is taking my mind off of the withdrawals(and everything else for that matter)

I'm just confused about this whole thing, and can't think clearly at the same time.
Is it safe to completely stop cold turky with this drug?

Its hard to tell (about cold-turkey). You mentioned you've been tapering, that is good. May I ask what your last dose was?

The w/d is somewhat similar to that of Alcohol. While it is rarely fatal, the risk of seizure is very real if withdrawing from high doses and long-term rule, due to GHB's GABAergic action.

I have also personally experienced delusions, auditory hallucinations and paranoia, and know that these are among the listed (but not frequently announced) symptoms of G w/d. Your experience of confusion is not unusual.

last dose was 1.75 ml, down from 2ml every 3 hours..
I think I may have to try this diphenhydramine sleep thing tonight, I haven't sleep a full night in a long time.

Any other suggestions? I keep feeling like "what do i do"

also moderator, why do you say the golden rule is to get rid of all G sources?

Don't stop cold turkey, thats needless suffering. Convert the GBL to GHB, personally I've found HB to have far milder withdrawal symptoms. Taper until you are only using it for sleep, no doses during the day. At the end you will have one or two sleepless nights but then its over.

I am currently taking 3.5 mls at night to get to sleep. Will I experience WDs from that?

Do you use any during the day? GBL/GHB has a ridiculously short halflife so using once a day shouldn't be a problem.

All the best :)

Here's hoping that the OP is doing okay!

Fortis-- you might have some insomnia for a few nights, but you won't likely get any tremors or anything. If you're worried, then tapering is always best.

also moderator, why do you say the golden rule is to get rid of all G sources?
ive only tried GHB once and hated it but i think basically wat jamshyd was saying was wat applies to any drug that ur trying to get off - its near-impossible wen ur craving a drug or in withdrawal, to stay off that drug wen uve got it in the house or ur in contact with ppl who r using
therefore, its wisest to delete ur contacts and get rid of any of the drug u hav left
much gd luck

Do you use any during the day? GBL/GHB has a ridiculously short halflife so using once a day shouldn't be a problem.

All the best :)

Guys that is so good to know. No, I just take it at night.

Well done the OP for not letting G poop his party.

If I decide to stop (probably not because I get a good sleep on it) then I will taper the dose.

It's a good idea to take a break every now and then even if you're not planning on quitting for good. You don't want to get too used to having it every day, and even if you're only taking it in the evening you will start to develop a tolerance.

When I had a source, what I did was buy a litre, enjoy it for however long it would last, save the last 10 mLs or so for tapering, and then take a good two to three week break before getting any more. It kept it from getting boring, and kept my tolerance from getting too high.

It's a good idea to take a break every now and then even if you're not planning on quitting for good. You don't want to get too used to having it every day, and even if you're only taking it in the evening you will start to develop a tolerance.

When I had a source, what I did was buy a litre, enjoy it for however long it would last, save the last 10 mLs or so for tapering, and then take a good two to three week break before getting any more. It kept it from getting boring, and kept my tolerance from getting too high.

Ok, thank you for sharing that little gem of advice. Many many thanks.

No worries man. Do the drugs, don't let them do you.

To the OP:

You will feel terrible as long as the taper lasts and for some time after. Like all other drugs in the general class of gabanergics. But then you will begin to feel better. Definitely not easy. You have to really want it because it's hard. After 30 days I'm not sure you'll really get any true w/d other than rebound insomnia. If really bored is the worst w/d symptom you have had ......

Best to stop now. It will just get harder the longer you wait.

Baclofen

To anyone struggling with GBL withdrawal - see your doctor!

I thought I'd never get off this evil, evil drug. Tolerance will build, and if you end up dosing 24/7 the end result is probably going to be a trip to the emergency ward.

If, like me, you've researched "online" and fallen for the usual BS about tapering and/or using benzos to to help please stop, and see your doc.

I went cold turkey - and literally lost my head. The docs have been wonderful, and prescribed a drug called Baclofen which will be tapered off slowly over the next few weeks. It works on the GABA receptors, as does GBL/GHB. No cravings for GBL at all, since it isn't really physically addictive anyway, and no psychological addiction since the Baclofen curbs that.

Baclofen is a relatively new approach I think but please don't try to self medicate or do this on your own. Doctors are aware of GBL/GHB addiction and DO know how to treat it. Don't leave it to late - seek professional advice.

I thought I'd never escape the horrible addiction of this legal drug, but Baclofen works wonders. I'm not brave enough to post as myself and I'm unlikely to reply to any questions, but if you are caught in the grasp of this substance I repeat - seek help, and mention Baclofen if your doc is unsure what to do.

In my case the wisdom of the masses via forums and messageboards were no help whatsoever, which is why I post this reply. If you are suffering in silence, and seeking to taper off or escape the addiction, get help, try Baclofen.

NB: Baclofen works on the GABA receptors, was originally a epilepsy drug, is now mostly used as a muscle relaxant as a treatment for conditions such as multiple scelrosis/parkinsons. It's also a "novel" treatment for alcholism, and since GBL withdrawal is awfully similiar to the alcholism "DT's" you can see how this approach may work.

Seek help.

I'm glad to hear that baclofen worked for you, but not everyone needs medical help for withdrawals. Unless you're already close to dosing 24/7, adhering to a slow taper will work well, although it might take a bit longer.

Different strokes for different folks. Every different bit of advice is helpful.

same situation here.
been using the lactone for the past 4 months or so, with 1 week pauses, getting through mild withdrawals with booze and/or benzos.

been doing ~30ml/day for the past month. tapered off a bit for the last few days.
withdrawal kicked in this morning. 2hrs shaky and panic attacks, then settled down a bit on the level of mental dullness, slight confusion, light sensitivity. seems to be slowly getting better, but you never know.
from what i gather, psychotic episodes come with longer and heavier abuse, and dont kick in until the second day.
and that is my main concern. i dont wanna freak anybody out, or end up in the psych ward.

as genuinely unpleasant as it is, i can handle it for a day or two or three, but a week..?!
and what i totally wouldn't be able to handle afterwards is cracking up and being hospitalized.

I was taking somewhere in the region of 25-30 ml a day for about 4 months, and stopped cold turkey. Relapsed once a couple of days later cuz the tablets i was taking made me trip and i need sleep. I didn't sleep at all for at least 3 days. I had desensitization, it took me a little over a week to get over the withdrawal fully. I was drinking half a bottle of whiskey to try to make myself feel 'Normal' i am in no way promoting you do this, just telling you my experience. Tapering is the best thing, but in the end i got so fed up of it i threw it all down the toilet, nearly 250 ml's.

Multifacet Void

I have been taking GBL on and off since Nov. I used 250ml in Nov and Dec. 250ml in Jan and 500ml in Feb. I quit cold turkey on Sunday when I realised that I was taking it just to feel normal. I think that I had about 30ml on Saturday between 6am and midnight, much like every day last week.

There has been much craving, but despite having a load of the stuff here, I haven't touched it. And I won't. I quit smoking in the same way. Everytime I begin to feel paranoid I read a note to myself that I wrote after my last dose on Sunday, reminding me that I am going to feel like this. Only thing is that it feels like there are more than one of me here at the moment. One of us listens, and a different one answers - I'm not quite sure that I am making sense to outsiders when I speak because I am not interested in what they are saying at all and the bit of me that is listening is not assigned to reply. I know that I am not psychotic, because I understand that my symptoms are as a result of overstimulated neurones crying out for something of which I am depriving them and I understand that the way I feel is a manifestation of that physiological happening. I know when my behaviour appears incongruous and I have had to apologise and explain what I mean once or twice. So far, I have got away with it.

I am not interested in what is written on these fora, or in what I am writing. But I am simultaneously very aware that I need to focus on being in control of this feeling while I ride it out, because I can see myself flying out of control very easily if not.

I only realise now that I was relying on GLB for everything; to make me hungry, to make me go to the toilet, to want sex, to feel happy, to sleep, to wake, to live, to love my partner. And it did all of that and so much more. I became a puppet to it, and I am not prepared to live my life that way.

3 days in, I am drifting between reality, and a misty feeling that something's not quite right in the universe. That and significant bodily symptoms. I have back pain, no appetite, or any desires at all. I threw up earlier, it felt inconvenient.

Yet, if I do manage to convince myself to do anything that I "should" do to be a normal member of society, like wash or eat, there is a part of me that is satisfied.

A grumpy, bored, disillusioned troll that is thinking about nothing at all is sitting between me and the world out there where the sun is shining and everything looks rather friendly from what I can make out. Usually, I get on with enjoying that. Today, however, I just sit. I watched half a film. It was too much. I saw myself walk past a mirror. I look like a tense, hunched, old man although I am barely 30.

I have been drinking a tot of vodka at 3pm and at 8pm every night, to establish some sort of circadian rhythm again. When taking G, I slept when it was convenient and woke when I needed to. I was completely in control and refreshed when I needed to be. Except for one point last month where I nearly cut my finger off while making dinner. It was stiched up in A&E and has healed brilliantly.

Essentially, that makes me think that I wasn't in control at all. Am I in control now? How long is this feeling to last? I thought about having a dose yesterday, but I couldn't be bothered. I haven't thought about dosing again today.

This isn't a terrible feeling, but it is hideous in its nothingness and the most frightened I have ever been, because every day I expect it to shift or look a little better at least. Every day it is the same, with a moment of something worse at least once in the day. Today's was a little blackout while talking to my housemate. I don't think she noticed. Or maybe she did.

I'm not sure that I care that she did.

I do not think that GBL is evil, but I have once more learned that I can easily lose focus and begin relying on adjuncts. I don't think that I will ever do GBL again, because it would be too tempting to return to where I was last week. I have a greedy streak that I pay for through unpleasantness like this.

I'm not expecting help, or sympathy. But writing this has focussed me a little. There is a fraction more congruity to my existence. Thanks for reading and if anyone else can sympathise with this at some point, hopefully it will show that it is a necessary part of the detox. Hang in there. I hope to report better news soon.