• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5-HTP and cardiac fibrosis?

search

Bluelighter
(NB: 5-HTP = 5-Hydroxytryptophan. 5-HT = serotonin. MAO = monoamine oxidase, and MAOI = monoamine oxidase inhibitor. 5-HT2A & C are serotonin receptor subtypes)

As a long standing 5-HTP advocate, I was a bit worried when I came across this page.

The author claims that oral 5-HTP is likely to cause cardiac fibrosis.

He notes that 5-HTP is readily converted to 5-HT in the liver by aryl amino acid decarboxylase, which is B6 dependent. He notes that this 5-HT will then pass up the portal vein to the inferior vena cava, and pass through the right side of the heart, where he claims it will cause fibrosis (scarring) of the valves. From here, it will go up the pulmonary artery to the lungs and be metabolized to 5-HIAA by pulmonary MAO. This action of MAO in the lungs makes venous samples for 5-HT poor tests for assessing 5-HT production from the GI tract or liver.

He compares this process with the production of 5-HT by gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors, which are known to produce large amounts of serotonin, and which are also correlated with a characteristic pattern of mostly right sided cardiac fibrosis (consisting of dense fibrous deposits - primarily on the tricuspid valve, but also occurring on the pulmonary valve, eventually leading to right-sided heart failure). He correctly notes that the degree of 5-HT production has been shown to be an important predictor of the progression of cardiac fibrosis.

He also comments on the histologically identical lesions found with drugs with 5HT2 agonist activity such as dexfenfluramine, fenfluarmine and other 5-HT2-preferring ergot drugs.

He claims that concomitant B6 supplementation will make this process worse, to the point where almost no 5-HTP will make its way to the brain to be converted to 5-HT.

:\

...so, I’ve done a bit of reading. I’ve found that there are indeed 5-HT2B and 5-HT2C receptors known to exist in large amounts in human heart valves, and interaction of 5-HT with these receptors is known to cause fibroblast mitosis.

50 – 85% of an oral dose of 5-HTP is absorbed. Around 25% of this is broken down by hepatic aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase (to 5-HT) before entering the bloodstream, so only 38 – 64% of the dose actually ends up as extra serotonin in the brain when 5-HTP is taken orally as a dietary supplement.

5-HIAA levels are going to correlate to total MAO activity – in the gut, liver, brain (5-HIAA is actively transported back across the blood-brain barrier for excretion) AND lungs. This means that urinary 5-HIAA levels may correlate poorly to portal vein 5-HT levels.

While around 25% of an oral dose of 5-HTP is going to be converted to 5-HT in the liver, I’d note that the liver also contains a large amount of MAO. I am unclear as to how much of this 5-HT made in the liver is going to reach the portal vein, but I suspect that it is a very small amount - 91% of carcinoid tumors associated with cardiac fibrosis have already metastasized either to the liver itself, or to parts of the body with venous drainage that avoids hepatic first pass metabolism before entering the right heart. As metastatic deposits derange liver architecture and inhibit liver function, I feel that this indicates that hepatic MAO activity is difficult to overwhelm in otherwise healthy individuals.

Additionally in normal individuals 80% of total body 5-HT comes from gastrointestinal enterochromaffin cells. This 5-HT will also make its way up the portal vein to the liver. Given that normal individuals do not develop cardiac fibrosis, this again suggests good hepatic MAO activity.

If decarboxylation happened proximal histologically to MAO concentrations, I suppose there could be a problem, but I think that this is relatively unlikely (if anyone has any info on this, it would be appreciated).

B6 is prevalent in the diet, and deficiency is relatively uncommon (although it can occur with anti-TB agent isoniazid, penicillamine and with estrogen+/-progesterone therapy – as in contraceptive agents). Thus normal people will have adequate B6 in their livers to assist the decarboxylase enzyme. This said, B6 is contraindicated in L-DOPA therapy without concomitant decarboxylase inhibition precisely because B6 increases the rate at which hepatic decarboxylase converts L-DOPA to dopamine.

Carboxylase inhibitors such as carbidopa are generally given with dopamine, as they reduce nausea produced by dopamine at D2 receptors on the blood side of the blood brain barrier. This implies that moderate amounts of dopamine manage to manage to avoid hepatic and pulmonary MAO after oral L-DOPA administration.

To summarize, 5-HT has a plausible mechanism for causing cardiac fibrosis, and evidence from carcinoid tumor patients and problems resulting from 5HT2 agonist appetite suppressants supports this role. The effect is going to correlate to 5-HT dose delivered to the right side of the heart. This dose is unable to be measured indirectly with urinary 5-HIAA levels, as these will be contributed to by pre-hepatic, hepatic and brain MAO (representing 5-HT that has not been exposed to the right side of the heart) as well as pulmonary MAO (representing 5-HT that has). Given normal enterochromaffin production of 5-HT and carcinoids distal to the liver generally does not cause fibrosis, it seems that hepatic MAO action is robust. However, experience with L-DOPA and carbidopa shows that some monoamine is able to get through.

The only way to really test this would be sampling portal venous 5-HT concentrations post oral 5-HTP dose. I don’t have full access to any research databases, but to the best of my searching ability, this has not been done.

However, weighing all the data, I would say that intermittent short-term use of 5-HTP is likely to be safe. I’m a little less sure re: daily use, but again, I think that moderate doses are also likely to be safe. Apparently 5HTP has been used in medicine in France and Italy for ~30 years - in some cases at very high doses (~2000mg / day) – without anyone noting cardiac side effects.

I’d suggest that 5-HTP would be best consumed with carbidopa, although sadly carbidopa is a little difficult to obtain. It has been used this way without ill effect in numerous medical trials in humans without ill effect. I note that your 5-HTP FAQ states that carbidopa is contraindicated with 5-HTP, and suggest that this is incorrect.

Phew. Any input would be welcome.

Thanks for posting this.

I'm going to move it to Advanced Drug Discussion, because it is frankly over my head, and (I suspect) most of the posters in this forum :)

I don't know the active dose of 5-HTP or the physical/chemical characteristics but if oral injestion, and first pass liver metabolism result in less brain effects (desired effect), and more cardiac fibrosis (side-effect) another administration method should be considered.

Perhaps transdermal delivery should be considered, and would be prefered to IV/IM regardless of the chem. Heck, I don't know if you can even inject 5-HTP.

BigBenn said:
Perhaps transdermal delivery should be considered, and would be prefered to IV/IM regardless of the chem. Heck, I don't know if you can even inject 5-HTP.

...you can give it IV (it's been used this way in numerous medical trials in humans), but this would somewhat fly in the face of the harm minimization intent...

TBH I'm not sure, but since 5-HTP is actively transported both across the gut wall and the blood-brain barrier, I suspect that transdermal absorption would be poor.

Carbidopa provides a solution, although it seems like it's relatively hard to obtain without L-DOPA. It'd be nice to know if all this stuff about cardiac fibrosis is significant at all...

Pulmonary hypertension (which leads to the cardiac fibrosis due to the massively increased workload the right venticle has) is linked with drugs that basically fuck around with serotonin in a way the body never intended whereas 5-HTP is one of the compounds naturally occuring in the biosynthesis of serotonin from tryptphan. I can't remember if the rate limiting step in the biosynthesis of serotonin is tryptophan hydroxylase or 5HTP-decarboxylase; if it's the latter then I'd say it's probably much bluster & fury signifying nought (Shakespeare will be revolving in his grave and my incorrect quotation!), if it's tryptophan 5-hydroxylase though then, er, maybe...

Somebody else can have a look, I'm feeling too fluffy headed to be bothered to look at the moment (dental pain is treated with some wonderful drugs!)

fastandbulbous said:
I can't remember if the rate limiting step in the biosynthesis of serotonin is tryptophan hydroxylase or 5HTP-decarboxylase; if it's the latter then I'd say it's probably much bluster & fury signifying nought (Shakespeare will be revolving in his grave and my incorrect quotation!), if it's tryptophan 5-hydroxylase though then, er, maybe...

It's tryptophan hydroxylase... thus why 5-HTP is used, as it sidesteps this rate limiting part of the biosynthesis. :)

I think it's unlikely to be a significant risk. It could perhaps be prudent however to only use 5-HTP when it's neuroprotective properties are sought before and after MDMA administration, though.

fastandbulbous said:
Pulmonary hypertension (which leads to the cardiac fibrosis due to the massively increased workload the right venticle has)

This is untrue.

Pulmonary hypertension is generally secondary to either pulmonary vascular/parenchymal disease or mitral/aortic stenosis (ie: left sided heart disease).

Pulmonary hypertension may cause cor pulmonale, where the right ventricle expands over time, and thus becomes less and less efficient until right sided heart failure ensues. There is no recognized association between pulmonary hypertension and fibrosis of the right sided heart valves, although IIRC there can be pulmonary incompetence secondary to mechanical ventricular enlargement. This is pathologically distinct from the changes being discussed in the above paper.

Pulmonary hypertension related to 5-HTP use would therefore be secondary to;

1. Direct action of 5-HT at 5-HT1B and 5HT2A receptors in the lungs, causing smooth muscle contraction
  2. Possibly some action of 5-HT on fibroblasts in the lungs, causing endothelial damage

The valvular fibrosis is a direct action of 5-HT on 5-HT2B and 5-HT2C receptors on the heart valves - interaction of 5-HT with these receptors is known to cause fibroblast mitosis. Fibroblasts lay down collagen, ie: scar tissue. So it's likely to be a direct effect.

fastandbulbous said:
I can't remember if the rate limiting step in the biosynthesis of serotonin is tryptophan hydroxylase or 5HTP-decarboxylase

It's tryptophan hydroxylase.

Yeah, this has been discussed a lot. L-aromatic amino acid decarboxylase (LAAD) is ubiquitous, it's not just in the liver. 5-HTP is converted in the gut and the blood to 5-HT.

Will taking a suitably large amount, for a suitably long period of lime give you cardiac valvopathies? Almost certainly, just like any other 5-HT2B agonist.

How much is that suitably large amount? No idea.

It's that simple. Avoiding 5-HTP and B vitamin supplements is probably another good idea.

As someone on SSRIs, I'm concerned about valvopathies caused by chronic SSRIs.

BilZ0r said:
It's that simple. Avoiding 5-HTP and B vitamin supplements is probably another good idea.

As someone on SSRIs, I'm concerned about valvopathies caused by chronic SSRIs.

...yeah, I was wondering about the SSRIs while I was reading through stuff, similar kind of issue? SSRIs dumping more 5-HT into the systemic circulation? Something different? Do you have any links to places I could read more?

So someone just recommended 5-HTP to me... now I"m totally unsure as to whether or not I should keep taking it to repair the memory effects of cannabis. What's the word?

The word is that all evidence points to the fact that the negative effect of cannabis on memory reverses about a month after you stop smoking.

Unfortunately, there are no studies (AFAIK) looking at whether SSRIs are bad for your heart.

Great summary there! Sorry, I can't answer your question about 5-HTP, but here's some more detailed information about heart disease. The attachement is a great figure of the basics of what's going on here.

There has been a bunch of research lately on the correlation between 5-HT2B agonists and valvular heart disease. The research began with a focus on adverse effects of the weightloss drug "fen-phen". I think Bilzor was already hinting at this research, but here ya go:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=16863450&query_hl=7&itool=pubmed_docsum

This review highlights the recent application of receptorome screening to discover why the anorexigen fenfluramine causes serious cardiopulmonary side effects. Receptorome screening has implicated N-deethylation of fenfluramine and serotonin 5-hydroxy-t-ryptamine 2B receptors in the adverse effects of the drug; subsequent studies corroborated this finding. The results discussed highlight the utility of determining the potential activity of drugs -- and, importantly, of their in vivo metabolites -- at as many molecular targets as possible in order to reliably predict side effect profiles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=17202450&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum

Check out the attachment.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if hydergine has relevant affinity for the 5-HT2B receptor?

Some 5-htp supplements actually contain B6 along with it in the capsules. I wonder why.

Ximot said:
Some 5-htp supplements actually contain B6 along with it in the capsules. I wonder why.

B6 is a cofactor for the conversion of 5-HTP to 5-HT in the brain as well as in the liver. Subjectively, 5-HTP + B6 is much better than 5-HTP on its own.

So what the OP is telling us is that we should SNORT 5htp to stop as much as possible going to the heart ?

*ducks for cover* 8)

Try it and tell us. If you like snorting extracted plant matter that is, and maybe if you're lucky the possability of some sort of minor serotonin sydrome