• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5-HTP and cardiac fibrosis?

Heh, i've insufflated 5-HTP before (just to see). I'm pretty sure I felt a mild euphoria for a 1/2 hour or so. Maybe expectation but.. =/

Peppermint, 5-HTP is not a nootropic. It doesn't do anything to help alleviate cannabis-induced memory problems... or any memory problems at all, for that matter.

Splatt said:
Try it and tell us.

Well funny you should mention that, i almost started a thread on this

I randomly happened to score approx 1.5g of 5HTP powder from a friend last Friday. Before going out to a club me and a friend decided to rail 2 small lines each for shits and giggles.

It worked. Not like orgasmic highs and eye wobbles, i just felt ok and happy for once. I ended up having a really good night out. Lets just set the record straight. I only smoke a tiny bit of weed at night and may do MDMA/LSD/2CB once every couple of months. Despite my moderation, healthy diet and exercise i suffer(ed) from mild depression which would often snowball. I was doing all the right things and no matter what there was no light at the end of my tunnel.

I long suspected i might have some sort of imbalance. But was against seeing any proffessional after the way i keep reading they just chop and change SSRI's or whatever until they find one that works maybe. Its my head, my problem and i am going to fix it

So enter 5 hydroxytryptophan. I didn't have any capsules to take it orally, so when i am starting my day i have been railing 2 little lines each morning for almost a week now. I like it. I like it a lot. I can feel normal. I can feel high. Despair no longer floats around like grey cloud. I had some again before i went out on sat night and had another gangbuster night. Just felt hunky dory and struck up alot of conversation with randoms and actually listened to what they had to say for once, especially when i wasn't drunk.

Seratonin syndrome ? yes that is a risk (would like to know more from smart guys), and i plan to do this for a maximum 2 weeks and then take 2 off

Who knows how i will feel when i get a tolerance ....

Who knows how i will feel on the 2 weeks off .....

Time traveler is proudly a guinea pig for humanities finest @ Bluelight :)

Sorry to re-asl, but they say 5HTP is worthless without Vitamen B6.. How much is required and should it be taken the time of 5HTP ingestion. My centrum multivitamen has 2.4mg of B6 in it and wondering if it needs more and what common foods contain it?

i would like to disagree with that statement completely

MyDoorsAreOpen said:
Never take 5-htp with a b-complex, unless you want to feel nauseous and loopy for a few hours.
from Has 5-htp Hekped You ?

I took a berrocca (B vitamin complex) one morning and did feel a bit funny, i UTFSE and found people saying B-6 was not a good idea with 5-htp. Now i avoid berocca and some energy drinks.

Whoa.. didnt know.. take my multivitamen with breakfast in the morning so don't know if its still bad as i take 100mg of 5-HTP before bed, about an hour or so before bed, or with dinner, so maybe upto 4-5 hours before bed sometimes.

Splatt said:
Sorry to re-asl, but they say 5HTP is worthless without Vitamen B6.

Thats not really accurate. Sure 5HTP requires vitamin B6 in order to get converted, but theres generally enough B6 in your body already without needing to take extra. So taking a regular B6 supplement will be quite sufficient to make sure your levels are topped up.

I tried snorting 100mg of the NOW productbrand, tjhe whole cap when drunk. Dont ask me why, stupid alcohol crap. Got a bit of a relaxed effect and had crazier dreams and could fall asleep kind of quickly. Had benzos as well though. I think most of the powder didnt absorb in the nose as when I picked it 5 minutes later i could get white gunks out, but some definitely absorbed, just not filler?

After several months of self-medicating with 100 mg 5-HTP/night for depression, this has me fairly convinced that I should stop. I've been unable to decide whether the 5-HTP is doing anything (I feel better, but I'm unsure if it's due to the passage of time, less stress, more exercise, zazen practice, etc.).

If I feel like crap in a few days, I guess the 5-HTP has been working.

I can't believe there isn't a single mention of plain ol' L-Tryptophan in this thread. You realize that the only reason 5-HTP even exists as a supplement is because the supplement companies wanted to get around a pointless ban (which has been lifted) of L-Tryptophan? L-Tryptophan is how humans were meant to ingest 5-HTP: Here's a list of foods it's in from Wiki: chocolate, oats, bananas, dried dates, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, meat, eggs, fish, sesame, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, spirulina, and peanuts

And yet the only thing anyone ever talks about is 5-HTP. From what I understand, the way it's supposed to work is that L-Tryptophan is supposed to be converted to 5-HTP once it reaches the brain, and then the 5-HTP gets converted to serotonin. Ingesting straight 5-HTP causes the body (as opposed to strictly the brain) to be exposed to 5-HTP, something that doesn't happen naturally. I could be off, but it seems to me like it's just stupid to take 5-HTP.

You are off.

The conversion of 5-HTP to 5-HT takes very little time - on the order of an hour for an average dose, IIRC.
The conversion of tryptophan to 5-HTP to 5-HT takes much longer - about a day, IIRC.
The 5-hydroxylation step is the rate limiting one. By taking 5-HTP we skip it out altogether :) .

This means if you were wanting to increase the levels of 5-HT in your body in reasonable haste, you're clean out of luck if you're using tryptophan.
For instance, side-loading whilst using MDMA is just NOT going to work if you're using tryptophan.

MattPsy said:
This means if you were wanting to increase the levels of 5-HT in your body in reasonable haste, you're clean out of luck if you're using tryptophan.

Good things come to people who wait ;)

But what if i'm rolling and want more 5-HT in my brain NOW? ;)
Eating a crapload of tryptophan the night before is just not going to work the same.

There is so much contradictionary information out there.
http://headaches.about.com/cs/alternative/a/5htp.htm
5-HTP should not be taken with Carbidopa, which is used to treat Parkinsons disease; triptans such as Imitrex, Zomig, Maxalt, or Amerge; and some other prescription medications.

I take 300mg of 5-htp without added B6 but take 2 multivatimins a day.
Then one can debate how bad magnesium stearate is in supplements.

5-HTP should not be taken with Carbidopa, which is used to treat Parkinsons disease

That's because carbidopa prevents peripheral conversion of L-DOPA to dopamine (inhibits DOPA decarboxylase but doesn't cross the blood brain barrier) so I suppose from that warning that it does the same for 5-HTP

Avoid 5-htp with B6 I'd say. From Wikipedia:

"Excess 5-HTP, especially when administered with Vitamin B6, is thought to be metabolized and excreted before reaching the brain.[3][4]"

if cardiac fibrosis is resulted from excessive 5-htp intake. can the problem be reversed if 5-htp intake is stopped? or is it permanent?

Hi, I am a young teenager and have cholesterol of 240. I know that’s bad and you don’t have to remind me about and make me feel worse. After all I want to know is a good diet for someone my age. And now in school I don’t know what to eat. What should I eat? I want to lower my cholesterol in a month if possible. All advice is welcomed! Just help me please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid 5-htp with B6 I'd say. From Wikipedia:

"Excess 5-HTP, especially when administered with Vitamin B6, is thought to be metabolized and excreted before reaching the brain.[3][4]"

Can I specifically request Fastandbulbous respond to this, please?