• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Diphenhydramine HCL vs Doxylamine Succinate

Doxylamine is possibly the most effective sleep medication available without a prescription. Reports Auburn University, doxylamine succinate has hypnotic, or sleep-inducing properties comparable to those of the prescription-only barbiturate drug secobarbital. Doxylamine's action on the H1 histamine receptors in the central nervous system is responsible for the drowsiness it produces; however, the National Center for Biotechnology Information states that exactly how sleepiness results from this action is not yet fully understood.

Gypsy Captain, I followed your lead and purified my doxylamine for insufflation! I'm the type who only has trouble getting to sleep so I figured the less is more approach would be appropriate.

Knowing the solubility I'm stupid for using extra water to 'get it all' but it still hasn't dried.. So the liquid solution goes in a little dropper and I aspirate.

Three days later and I'm still not asleep. Your voodoo magic is worthless, I'm going to go door knocking, sullying your good name while alternately begging for zolpidem.

I usually take 75-100mg of Diphen per night to fall asleep....have been for the last 4 years....I've tried doxy and it just doesn't work for me...I would never waste benzo's on sleep....so I guess it's Dph for me...

I've had alot of experience with dipenhydramine, though I can't say it's been worthwhile.

It gives a horrible sedating feeling while simultaneous keeping you up. doxylamine is much cleaner, and sedates better.

In terms of hangover, doxylamine is usually gone when one wakes up. Dipenhydramine sticks around for quite a long time and interferes with the next day.

dipenhydramine is now a last resort sleep med and come down cure for me.

I really won't use either of these again, I get a hang-over like effect from each, although as you mentioned, diphenhydramine has a worse one.

wouldnt seroquel is the strongest sedating anthistamine?

I used to take the phenergan (promethazine) to go to sleep works well at its max recommended dose of 75mg way better than doxylamine. promethazine is actually a weak antipychotic
promethazine is atleast otc in australia

Diphen vs Doxy

My $.02:

Diphenhydramine HCL (Benadryl) is a far better *antihistamine*. Doxylamine succinate (Unisom) frankly sucks for runny noses. If your nose is running, or you are sneezing, Diphenhydramine is the best (non non-sedating antihistamine) hands down, use it, it is much better at stopping a runny nose than Doxy at any dosage. 50mg is a good starting dosage, 100mg being the maximum.

Also, diphenhydramine HCL (Benadryl) is a decent sedative and has a moderate half-life. In other words, it is good if I need a quick knockout punch and know I won't get more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep. Even at a higher dosage (75-100mg) it seems to wear off quickly and leave me reasonably ready to go in the morning. But, it's not as strong as doxy, which in some cases (only 5-6 hours of sleep available) is a good thing.

Doxylamine succinate is a better sedative but has a long half life. Overall it knocks me out better and keeps me asleep better but can leave me feeling groggy in the morning at any dosage. If I know I can sleep in (8+ hours), I will choose the Doxy every time. 25-50mg. Be forewarned when shopping for doxy. Read the label. I usually look for the generic version of Unisom that has just the doxylamine succinate in it, usually 25mg per tablet. Typically 1 tablet (25mg) is about the right dosage. I have no problem going up to 50mg but, again, the long half life WILL leave you groggy feeling in the morning. At the 50mg level expect 10 hours of total "grogginess."

In terms of mixing, it is fine but just don't over do it. I'd say max for me (180lbs) is 50mg doxy and 100mg diphen max. I will usually start off less than than and max out at that. My days of drug abuse are over. At some point in my life I learned to respect drugs, stop abusing them, and use them to improve my life. Anyway, if I can't sleep in (8+ hours) I don't mix them at any level.

Both of these are sedating drugs. If you have allergy problems during the day I would recommend going with something non-sedating (loratadine aka Claritin) or mix in 60mg of the REAL pseudoephedrine HCL (aka Sudafed BTC behind the counter lol) with your 50mg of diphenhydramine hcl. The Sudafed "PE" aka new formulation aka the stuff available over the counter now is total junk and plain does not work. I've battled stuffy noses my whole life and the government replacing pseudoephedrine hcl with phenylephrine has to be the dumbest thing I've seen in the US OTC market. But I digress...

I find Ambien, Ambien CR, even the 12.5mg level to be completely useless. But I have been taking low dose diazepam (aka Valium 10mg/day) for years now. I can stop at any time for weeks with no issue yet it still helps me relax in crowded places and slows my generally always racing mind. I find clonazepam extremely sedating at 1mg+ and not that good at controlling my anxiety. I find diazepam sedating at 15mg+. I typically don't use benzos or non-benzos for sleep though. I get prescribed 10mg/day of diazepam for anxiety. I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg before bed. Works good for me as I have a generalized anxiety disorder. In the benzo world I found clonazepam to be better at sedation and diazepam better for anxiety. Xanax is far too powerful/addicting and Ativan (lorazepam) is fast but weak. But benzos are an entirely different discussion :)

Take care and titrate up slowly. Don't do stupid stuff like sniff diphenhydramine or take 800mg of it. Be safe, respect drugs, they will respect you and improve your life. I've been down the bad road, take my advice and respect them.

Last edited:
More like dreams

Dph is a relitivly good sleep aid, until the threshold is passed of approximatly 500 mg, it becomes a delirant and a strong hallucinogen... Ive used dxm and dph relitivly alot, so yeah i took aprrox. 60mg doxy, and aprox 400mg dxm, effects are speedy nd hallucinations, strange sensation of awake!!! 257ml tussin dm, with 10mg per 5ml nd 100mg guafessin per 5ml, and cool breeze nighttime couph and soar throat, acetominophine, 1000mg,
per30ml, in237ml, anddxm, 30mg, doxy(Appriviation)12.5mg .... So i believe i have possibly crossed that line is that safe to say that is correct or no?, at any rate it still holds a strong euphoric effect on the body as well as the mind, taste is terrible though... very nasty... at this time im rather inclined to think outside the box,...

I use diphenhydramine much more often, it's hit or miss for me but it never leaves me feeling groggy, no matter if I only get 4 hours of sleep.

I consider doxylamine as bringing out the "big guns," it will knock me the fuck out, but like several people said I won't take it if I can't get 8+ hours, because it leaves me groggy for a long time afterward.

Truth Be Told

Yeah, i most definantly aggree with the last post, i just woke up after taking like 60-70mg of doxy and i feel grogy as hell, lol im in a good mood though and at least its effects dont leave me stupified like that of dph...

Diphenhydramine is awesome.
I can take it in the middle of the day when i have SO much energy and it will knock me right out.
and i love the body load it gives! that makes it that much easier to get to sleep.
and right before i fall asleep i get this rush of euphoria and tingling all over my body...then BANG im out cold.
i never get a hangover from the stuff either...but i dose low (50mg) most of the time

also, theraflu has these "multi symptom" dissolving strips and the only active ingredient is diphen! that was great news for me since i cant swallow pills. i think its 25mg's diphen per thinstrip.

I used to have this problem, but i found solution. What I do is I put the pill in my mouth, then a mouth full of water and tilt my head back and swallow, I don't even feel it going down. I've gotten so good I can swallow like 3 big pills with barely any water. I used to not be able to swallow pills at all without almost choking or puking lol.

Doxy is more effective with less side effects for me. I have a lot more experience using diph but I've become a quick fan of doxy. Dosage for both is important though. Anything more than 50mg of doxy or 75mg of diph is asking for trouble. I've found 38mg of doxy to work bes and if I need to use diph 50 mg.

diphenhidramine for coming down

diphenhidramine is nice for itching and insomnia as well!
I took one pill one day cause I had some allergy and not only it stopped the itching but it also made me very sleepy and I slept like a babe
Its nice as a downer:p

Doxylamine is a better sedative ime, and has less of a hangover.

I find doses of 12.5mg perfect for a sleepless night, with practically no hangovers compared to 25mg.

Doxylamine is a better sedative ime, and has less of a hangover.

I find doses of 12.5mg perfect for a sleepless night, with practically no hangovers compared to 25mg.

I agree, Ergic! I'd point out that sometimes I choose to even dose below 12.5mg because doxylamine succinate really is sedating.

I remember using around 25mg orally and passing out fairly quickly from the sedation alone... it reminds me of a euphoria-less benzodiazepine for insomnia.

hmmm. idk some people have problems with dph and its side effects, i for one, dont, the only bad thing about dph is how esily you think you can handle 8-12 to make u sleep in minutes, it dosnt work like that, in fact, it becomes a diliriant at such a dose, especially if you dont know what mg your taking, i took 12 once to sleep, im used to getting the 10mg, 120mg ok that works. i will sleep good, unfortunantly i ended up calling my freind who gave me them this time, he told me i started asking messed up questions and i was surley delusional, after i figured out why, i realized, DOSE is a major importance, you NEED to know what mg u are taking, i for one, was taking the 50mg per capsol, i didnt know this since i didnt pry into dph research all that much and i figured they only sold it in 10s and 25s, turns out theirs 50s to, i ended up taking 600mg of dph when i assumed it was 120, bad decision, as well as the stange and unusual side effects, later i found myself more messed up than i thought, i was talking to my parents and my dad told me the next day he asked me if i had something stached in the closent cuz i kept looking over their, and i asked him didnt you say i had something stached under my pillow...

doxy... loves it

doxylamine is far far superior imo, i can take a capful of nyquil and it will nearly always knock me out for 8+ hours, and that contains only 13mg doxy. you will wake up with a groggy tired feeling the next morning however i sort of enjoy this as i have anxiety issues and it seems to work very well for that although i am sure the good sleep makes a huge difference too. recently i bought some diphenhydramine as i mistakenly thought it was the same ingredient in nyquil and i have taken it twice, one capsule 50mg when i was also very tired but couldnt sleep...the worst feeling... you insomniacs will know what i mean, it did absolutely nothing, and i slept horribly each night. i am going to try 2 diphenhydramines at some point and see if that works better but i doubt it will. I am trying to avoid drinking nyquil every night to get to sleep because i do drink alcohol quite a bit some nights and it is said it can cause liver damage when taken with aceteminophen which is the main ingredient in nyquil... i will maybe buy some doxy unisom? tomorrow if i can find it because the doxy works really great for me it totally calms me down and relaxes me and sleep comes easy, i have high blood pressure and fast heart rate issues as well and it seems to work awesome for both of those things too.

i love my nyquil but sometimes it gives me an intense ill feeling in my intestines the next day, and some diahrea its very unpleasant, but does not seem to happen that often luckily

as far as hydroxyzine goes i have the generic hydroxyzpam 50mg I was prescribed it for anxiety, it had little effect on anxiety even when I would take 4 or more pills, and i felt no sedation whatsoever. i am curious about the opiate potentiation, i want to try this, i used to have codienes and i loved them but my doctor switched me to tylenol/codienes #3 which are bullshit and contain very little codiene, however i still do want to try one with hydroxyzine has anyone tried this and would that even be worth it? sigh... wish i had some better opiates, but yeah the withdrawl from them really does suck too

i am annoyed with all these medicines containing high doses of acetaminophen everywhere when they all say it can severely damage your liver, especially with so many people who drink alcohol or take other acetaminophen containing drugs, i know they add it to nearly everything to prevent abuse of the other substances especially in cold medicines, but that is so unsafe, its funny how the FDA cares so much about milder drugs that can give you a mild high but they ignore acetaminophen which can totally destroy your liver and you will die an agonizing slow painful death but they dont give a shit. better that than be able to get a little high and maybe feel good of of some other drug which is probably totally safe. what the fuck

anyways doxy, wayyy better at sedation i think, but i guess everyone is different, from reading the posts on here it seems diphen does work for some people. i am just wondering how much i will have to take for it to have a noticeable effect on me

I discovered restavit was sold otc and decided to try it. Unfortunately I just presumed it was the same dose of doxylamine as Mersyndol, so I took five at once. Took therefore 125mg as opposed to 25mg. I slept for about 15 hours! It's now late into the next day and I still feel too drowsy to get anything done. Be careful, don't underestimate these simply because they're sold otc.