• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Diphenhydramine HCL vs Doxylamine Succinate

I'm surprised doxylamine seems to be the proffered choice. Sure there is less of a hangover, but the stuff is way to short acting IME. It's pretty much equipotent to diphenhydramine but it just won't keep me asleep. Luckily I rarely use either now, but I got myself in a real jam with OTC sleep meds in the fall as absurd as it sounds.

I've wanted to try doxylamine for ages for sleep, and to potentiate opiates but i cant find any product in the uk that has it in. The only thing that has it in is syndol for migraines, but that also has paracetamol and caffeine so I'm not interested in trying that.

I'm surprised doxylamine seems to be the proffered choice. Sure there is less of a hangover, but the stuff is way to short acting IME. It's pretty much equipotent to diphenhydramine but it just won't keep me asleep. Luckily I rarely use either now, but I got myself in a real jam with OTC sleep meds in the fall as absurd as it sounds.

I think it can be pretty common for people to become dependent on OTC sleep meds. There have been times in my life where I had to take Dipenhydramine+2-3 beers+marijuana to get a good sleep. I should mention that sleep has always been a real problem for me. I've been prescribed Seroquel (which worked well at first, but now gives me restless legs so I no longer take it) and Trazadone (which doesn't seem very effective).

Anyways, I haven't tried Unisom (Doxylamine) in awhile so I think I am going to pick some up today. I have been having trouble sleeping lately... nothing like the old days but for whatever reason I have been waking up between 4-6 AM and I usually do not go to bed until at least 11 PM. I will be starting a new job soon which is going to require me to get up early so I need to get my sleeping schedule back on track. Which means I need to start going to bed a little earlier or at least try to fall asleep. I hate laying in bed and not being able to fall asleep. Insomnia has always driven me nuts and actually some of my earliest memories are of me struggling to fall asleep.

I also noticed that some people like the feeling that Dipenhydramine gives them before sleep, I too have noticed that occasionally. I really notice it if I am already relaxed or in a good mood. Also, I tended to feel it more when I smoked Cannabis frequently, but that might have been the Dipenhydramine taking the edge off of the marijuana induced anxiety.

My one question: I have seen some people suggest that Doxylamine has a shorter half-life then dipenhydramine while others suggest it has a longer one.. do we have a definitive answer on that?

Ok. So I am currently on methadone maintenance and have been for 6 months. My tolerance to opioids is huge ss im on 150mg. I have given up trying with opiates as even with 320mg of oxycodone iv doesn't even touch the sides. I cant do benzos anymore as my blackout threshold is too low. I have decuded to give 125mg of doxylamine succinate (restavit) a go. It seems that antihistamines are all I have left to give me some type of euphoria and sedation. Once these babies kick in I will give a review.

so for science sake, i just snorted 2 doxys (25 mg) and it was rather foul and the powder kept flying down my throat. for some rason its very hard to get this shit to just stay in your nose. i kept coughing out powder. i guess thats what i get for snorting an antihistamine lol. but, the effects are definatly more than twice as strong as swallowing. quite impressed, but i cant bring myself to snort any mroe of that shit. im going to bed lol. peace

I have done this also, the bioavailability of doxy snorted is s lot higher than oral. Oral is somewhere around 23% and snorting is around 70%. But yeah shits nasty nasty stuff up the nose lol.