Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐⭐⭐

• ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Total voters
^Heh, I agree that bothrop clearly isn't aware of the fact that this is the fourth season of Arrested Development. We are, however, discussing what has been dubbed the "Ulysses of sitcoms." I expect many of those familiar with the original series won't be able to articulate much more than that this season is "weird," so I can't imagine trying to figure it out from a perspective I genuinely believe is from scratch like bothrop. It is enormously intertexual -- like nothing I've ever seen on television -- and if you don't recognize the references it's simply going to appear superfluous and strange.

It's good and, don't get me wrong, I'm laughing, but it does seem disjointed and maybe almost too "zany".

The whole reason I stopped watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, was because it was getting too zany for me.

I think I've watched 6 episodes, so far.

Tobias' episode was the best, so far.

^tis only too zany if you don't catch the references or the show's sense of humor. You should have never stopped watching IASIP. What do you mean too zany? that's the whole fun of it!

i loved season 4 of AD, i wish the story progressed a bit more but it was very interesting and although different from before, if they hadn't made the show more dynamic i think many more people would have disliked it for playing it overly safe and not switching things up.

tobias (david cross) is fucking hilarious though and all of ambiguous behavior is just hilarious, especially after rewatching the first 3 seasons recently. So glad they all came together and didn't fuck it up! I'm glad that didn't do too much on buster and thought they kind of overdid it on george sr, he was much more hilarious in the original 3 seasons.

Now i've been searching desperately if there is going to be either a 5th season or a film. Maebe said the movie script was better as a tv show in the last episode of s04 i think and in the final episode of the 3rd season she was told it was better as a film, so maybe the writers are planning on another series at least and not a film anymore. If they could do 3-4 more seasons i'll be happy. Once that is over i'll probably kill myself.

The fact that this is/was considered one of the best sitcoms on TV is proof that TV is seriously lacking in anything quality.

I can't quite put into words what I don't like about it because that would involve thinking deeply about something I don't care at all about.

I've given it chances, but I'm going to trust my gut that it isn't for me.

Yeah, that's too bad but I'm thinking something with so much self-reflexivity and subtle goofiness it will have a lot of replay value. Also, I heard they're trying to do a movie, which will likely be green lit if it hasn't already since so far as I can tell the new season has been very well received.

To anybody who hasn't started watching it: do not try watching the episodes out of order. Despite the fact that you "can" do this there is a very definite narrative logic to the default ordering that clearly has to inform viewing to get some of the humor in "later" episodes.
The movie thing has been on going for years from what I remember, at least the talk of it, that is. I was pretty disappointed though that J. Walter Weatherman made no appearances, I really hoped like the forget me nows, he would randomly show up, like one sibling trying to teach the other a weird lesson in some way again. Also I really liked how far they took the forget me nows, I know they were used a fair bit in season three, but from what I remember more so just alluded too rather than actually having Gob drug himself and multiple people, multiple times in real time. Probably those and the Sound of Silence moments were some of my favorites from S4.

The fact that this is/was considered one of the best sitcoms on TV is proof that TV is seriously lacking in anything quality.

I can't quite put into words what I don't like about it because that would involve thinking deeply about something I don't care at all about.

I've given it chances, but I'm going to trust my gut that it isn't for me.
While I certainly don't think Arrested Development is a bad show, I can understand why certain temperaments might find it exasperating. The show is a mirror maze in a grand cathedral built in honor of pop-cultural goofiness. It doesn't have much of a purpose beyond light comic entertainment, and so it may naturally be a lot to ask of more serious dispositions to navigate it.

Finally sat through the last five eps. The whole season works like each previous episode, so it caters for people who binge watch.

For me it didn't work at all. It was too tiring. I could watch them again, but I don't feel like trying to remember all the later episode bits in the first few in the time it would take to get to the end again. Fuck this.

New futurama >>>>>>> new arrested development

I thought that the new season was pretty good, on par with those prior. Because I only ever got around to watching any Arrested Development in 2012, there was some seeming continuity.

ebola

i'm revising my issue with it, it aint the way the story self references over a long period, the original did this too. it's the story continuity is completely unsatisfying. doing character at a time stagnates the continuity so it never goes anywhere. none of the arcs have real conclusions except michael and his son.

Good lord, how have I ignored this show for so long?! I knew it existed, I knew it was very popular and that it was getting great reviews. I'm just running through the first season now and thoroughly enjoying it.

The movie thing has been on going for years from what I remember, at least the talk of it, that is. I was pretty disappointed though that J. Walter Weatherman made no appearances, I really hoped like the forget me nows, he would randomly show up, like one sibling trying to teach the other a weird lesson in some way again. Also I really liked how far they took the forget me nows, I know they were used a fair bit in season three, but from what I remember more so just alluded too rather than actually having Gob drug himself and multiple people, multiple times in real time. Probably those and the Sound of Silence moments were some of my favorites from S4.
Unfortunately the guy who played J. Walter Weatherman, died before season 4 was filmed. He was killed when someone left a door open with the AC on.

season 5 will be on netflix on 29 may. seems like they want to do a mulligan on season 4 and pretend it never happened