• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Opium Poppy (Papaver somniferum) cultivation

im not sure what you are asking but tassies are my favorite strain they can produce up to 30% morphine in there latex Persian whites are a close second i don't find the flower as pretty but it is said to be one of the strongest poppies. i also enjoy growing afghan whites and hens and chicks. i cant tell you the quality of your seeds but if there normal you will prob get 90 seedling out of your 100 seeds but this can turn out to be just a few fully mature poppies after culling and pests.

the seeds are very small so yes looks are deceiving.

what do you mean by pre 2k? are you asking if you have the high thebain content poppies? if you are i can say they most likley are not. Those poppies are called "nords" and there seed are kept under lock and key.

i get my seed from bulk food stores i almost always get tassies the high morphine ones because the commercial opium crop is the same crop most commercial seeds come from and the high thebaine seeds arnt available to the public.

Wow, so maybe this is where domestic opium comes from, people like you!

Home grows yield very small quantities of opium (if you are talking about latex, as opposed to pods).
Then again, It depends how big your "garden" is.
When you say "domestic" I assume you're not referring to Australia...

Growing poppies is not illegal

theres a growers union. Sure, if you are growing the type that produce high morphine content that could be construed as manufacture, but who is gonna bust you on that?

Cultivating opium is illegal , but growing poppies is not

This is Australian Drug Discussion.
Growing Poppies is certainly illegal here. Even if the law turns a blind eye to ornamental garden varieties.

Ahh.. lucky bastards with garden space.

God, Springtime will never be as sweet stuck in a second story apartment.

Post pics, PissPot if you find any around on the web:)

I still live with the oldies (purely for conviniance relating to my current work) and am very lucky to live on a ~1100 square metre block but the down side it that we are pretty much on a massive sand-dune so the soils good for fuck all, too much alkaline :(

surprisingly through, the poppies dont seem to mind it too much but everything else I grow struggles...

Last edited by a moderator:
Am no garden guru, but poppies, like a lot of other plants like good drainage. Sand mixed with compost, should give the right ph, be aerated and have good drainage as well.

Poppies love sand.
Not sure about other variables (such as ph and nutrients) - but they thrive in well drained sandy soil

Anyone had any experience with the white seeds from Indian grocers? I'm guessing they are a by product from the Indian medicinal crop.
I've heard that variety gets bigger and has more pods but is slightly less potent than our local stock. Might be worth a look.

Poppies love sand.
Not sure about other variables (such as ph and nutrients) - but they thrive in well drained sandy soil

Yep. I lived close to the beach and the soil was very sandy. Had my best Poppies ever at that place.

How does one defend dried pods against mold? A mate was showing me some of his pods that had this black, sooty type of mould growing on them. The pods were still quite dry and hard and the mould hasn't gotten on the inside of the pod...yet. Just wondering if this is something to be concerned about or if he should be doing something now to prevent it getting worse. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Use some silica packs (the type you get in bottles of vitamins, shoe boxes etc that say "do not eat", heh) to stop dried pods getting moist, which allows mould to grow.
They may have gone mouldy as they were being dried; this was always a problem when I used them.

The best solution I found was to use a food dehydrator to properly dry them out ("cracker dry" like mushrooms - but they need hearing for quite a while on a low setting to prevent them from burning, and I would cut each pod in half, or the inside wouldn't dry out, unless the crown had popped open).

If your pods are already mouldy....I strongly, strongly advise you to discard them (or smash them up and chuck the seeds in the garden for next year). Moulds can have all kinds of scary toxins in them - some neurotoxins, some that can just make you really sick if you breathe them in or ingest them.

It's not just an overly cautious HR minded warning - I would seriously ditch the pods if you're sure it's mould.

Is it discolouration on the pod - or sticky?
Or is it furry, fuzzy looking stuff?

Because if it is just patches of discolouration on the outside of the pod, it could just be some opium latex that has seeped through the skin before it dried out, or a sort of bruise that dried pods sometimes have.
I have certainly seen dried pods with round, dark spots that look a bit like mould - but on closer inspection, are spots of sticky opium.

If you think it could be dried opium (are you familiar with the look, feel and taste of dried opium latex?) i would give it a good close inspection, and if you're confident it isn't mould (touch it, and if it is sticky and treacle-like consistency) give it a tiny taste.
If you know what bitter opium tastes like, you'll know instantly that's what it is.

However *and I can't emphasise this enough!* - if you are in any doubt whether it is mould (mould shouldn't be sticky to the touch, for one thing) - do not put it anywhere near your mouth.
If it's furry shit, cut your losses and ditch it outside somewhere. It might make a great crop next year, but it's not worth the potential consequences of eating if it is definitely mould.
I think it's worth mentioning though, because I've had spotty, dark and discoloured pods that have been absolutely fine.

But if they've got "black sooty" crap growing on them, I would consider them potentially very poisonous and not consume them.
Not worth it; way too dangerous to risk your health for a buzz.

^^ lucky cunt :p %)

so it turns out my old boy hit the front yard with round-up a month after germinating this seasons garden (unbe-known to him)

no pods this year for this pisspot :(

Be careful with the everyday thing Chookmaster7.

Yeah they are pretty prevalent. I've seen probably 4 or 5 houses with P. som growing out the front or on the verge. Mostly Peony types though. Not sure how these rate as far as potency goes?

A mate told me to head to a place out bunch where heaps of people go to get their pods, I aquired some and they were puss arse weak. hopefully it was because of my tolly. But tees made me feel more sick than good.

Does anyone else find theyre actually quite prevalent? even in people's front gardens. Maybe its just where I live

Always on the look for a sneaky spot for a crop of these.

I have have a few, but their future projects.

Convenience is what I'm aiming at.

^ I found the pod tea a different ball game.

A lot easier to maintain with the seeds, then on the nights/days you want to turn it up, bring out the pods.

Pod high didn't last as long as the seeds. But fuck I got high. I believe the pods somehow leave your system quicker, don't qoute me on it.

I was fairly addicted to seeds before trying pods, first time on the pods I threw my guts up massively before taking off into a VERY comfortable state. Can get VERY high from pods. You can too from a strong pst, but there's some kind of regulator that can make it hard to get where you want to be.

But fuck, I really need to stop taking about this stuff, 4 months off daily use and I ain't going back.

Cap'n Brewster said:
^ I found the pod tea a different ball game.

A lot easier to maintain with the seeds, then on the nights/days you want to turn it up, bring out the pods.

Pod high didn't last as long as the seeds. But fuck I got high. I believe the pods somehow leave your system quicker, don't qoute me on it.

I was fairly addicted to seeds before trying pods, first time on the pods I threw my guts up massively before taking off into a VERY comfortable state. Can get VERY high from pods. You can too from a strong pst, but there's some kind of regulator that can make it hard to get where you want to be.
^ I agree with all of this. Pods can take you so much higher, but seeds are very useful for maintaining.
You seem to hit uncomfortable side effects with pst before you get that deep into nod-territory. May be thebaine or some other alkaloid in the full-spectrum soup...but pods IME seem to be of a slightly different (though noticeably more agreeable) chemical composition

Really well done with the detox and 4 months sober mate. That's really good - but like you say; watch out for those triggers (which I must do also)
Keep it up Cap'n.