• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bluelight International Wine Club

Finder said:
Isn't Merlot meant to be blended?

In the past it was often blended with Cab Sav's but these days its a grape that stands on its own.

Unblended Merlot is quite popular.

Originally posted by haste
In the past it was often blended with Cab Sav's but these days its a grape that stands on its own.

This is all stuff I know, but I was wondering if the original intent was to use it as a blending grape.

I'm not a big fan of unblended Merlot. I find it to be quite lackluster in taste.

Finder said:
Originally posted by haste

This is all stuff I know, but I was wondering if the original intent was to use it as a blending grape.

I'm not a big fan of unblended Merlot. I find it to be quite lackluster in taste.

Original intent - no (as far as my history of wine extends to ;))

^^^ Not a philistine (meant for Finder).

For hundreds of years, Merlots were EXCLUSIVELY used as blending grapes for Bourdeauxs(that's ugly) and other proper red wines, usually in relatively smaller quantities, in order to smooth out the finish of a more full-bodied grape.

Then some fucker decided that he could just use Merlots to make wussy wine for junior mint wannabe dilettantes who don't know their asses from their elbows, and ta-da, a flood of unblended Merlots on the market.

I've actually found Merlot's a good drop to introduce people into the world of wine.... acquire the taste and then move onto something with more character.

I was trying to resist drinking wine tonight (as I'm alone and me and a bottle of wine alone is a bad thing) but this thread killed that plan! I am opening a bottle of Chardonnay right now (Sawmill Creek from Oliver, BC if anyone is into Canadian wines at all).

Now I'm remembering when I first started drinking wine. Me and my girlfriends would each get 1.5 litre bottles of white zinfandel and drink out of the bottle at parties. :D Back then, I would only drink white zinfandel and if I drank it from a glass, I added ice! :D :D :D :D :D

Now I usually stick to chardonnay but I enjoy pretty much all whites and reds. I have a bottle of ice wine that I'm saving for a special occasion.

^LOL.. i drank an entire bottle of lambrussco the first night i got home for break about a month ago. my mom had it for some reason and gave it to me (they give me the alcohol they dont want lol) so i took it to my head.

it woulda been alcohol abuse otherwise!

do you guys place any value on the quality of the glasses? or just drink out of a tea-cup and the bottle?

i have to drink a red out of red wine glasses (larger, rounder) and a white out of white wine glasses (smaller, skinnier) ---- and only a little in the glass at a time!

but i have been known to drink wine out of anything. i mean, its wine. and if i'm drunk enough... it doesnt matter.

Here's a question that someone here might be able to answer, as it seems that you guys are pretty informed when it comes to wine. I know what I like, but my knowlege is limited mostly to California whites.

I recently received as a Christmas gift a bottle of Port. I am completely ignorant when it comes to this type of wine. The person that gave it to me said it was a good bottle, but the name of it escapes me at the moment. Anyway, what I wanted to know was what exactly is the difference between Port and other red wines? How and when is it generally served? And finally, I've heard something about Port being drunk warmed with spices. What's that all about?

Any input would be appreciated.

Port is fortified wine (spirits are added), meaning it has an almost twice as high alcohol content than can be obtained solely through fermentation It also is thicker and sweeter.

You don't generally serve it with a meal -- except for the dessert part. Goes well/traditionally served with Stilton. And any excuse for some Stilton is a good excuse. You might want to throw some fruit in there too. Pears maybe?

Oooh. P.S.: If you're sending gifts, Anarchofascist prefers tawny port. Thanks!

PPS: OH YEAH! SMALLER GLASSES THAN REGULAR WINE! Or if you don't have smaller glasses, don't fill 'em up all the way. Be careful with this stuff. It's so sweet and smooth you forget it's 20 or so percent alcohol and end up doing a face plant in your Stilton and pears.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll have to give it a try. I think I'll take your suggestion and procure some Stilton. I'm not so sure I'll like the sweet aspect of it as I haven't liked sweet wines in the past, but this sounds as if it'll be quite different from the sweet wines I've had in the past.

I'll try not to do a face plant in the cheese.

I always drink my reds out of a wine glass..... never really put much thought to it, just seems weird not to ;)

Technically wine glasses are used for a few reasons.... the stem allowing easier swirling and keeping the heat of your hand away from the wine. Also the bowl design of the wine glass allows for a greater surface area which in turn allows the wine to breath. Also it allows the aromas to be chaneled up to the narrower top and aiding in the smelling process.