• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bluelight International Wine Club

haste

Bluelight Crew
For all you lovers of the vine, both red and white, sweet and dry - this is the thread for you!

Discuss wines you've recently tasted and share with us your views, links and stories of vineyards you've visited. What kinds of varities do you prefer? I tend to lean towards the Shiraz or Merlot's, but don't mind a good Pinot Noir - although they can be hard to come by in Australia.

Please keep in mind that people span the whole globe, so maybe also include the wine's origin to give us an idea, and at the same time educate - I love exploring wines from around the globe.

Enjoy :)

p.s. - to give you an idea here's Aussie Wine Thread

My fave is Robert Mondavi and Opus One, both located in Napa Valley, Ca. I was not an Opus One fan until I went to their winery. Wow! Absolutly breathtaking...and the wine was above and beyond. They actually use the same grape orchards as Mondavi. I prefer their Cabernet Sauvignon. In fact I don't believe that Opus even sells whites.

But for a casual wine I like Tobin James who is out of Paso Robles Ca. He makes the whole tasting experience less stuffy and more fun. Plus his wines are excellent and affordable.

I'm a firm believer that visiting the winerys gives you a whole new, BETTER, outlook on the wine you drink. You're able to learn all the details you most likely wouldn't get off the back of the bottle.

I'd like to get more into the foreign wines, I've had some of the Australian wines, specifically the whites, I'm impressed by them. I do want to try to get into the French type also.

What a fun thread! :)

My roommates (aka Frostyangel and Squeaks) are currently too hangover to have energy to post on BL but believe me, they'll whore up this thread. Especially Squeaks. He loves wine more than anyone I've ever met. LOL. And he knows his stuff.

Me, I don't like it. They think they're gonna make me drink it sometime. HA! :p

;)

Yeah, im more of a merlot or blush. I think white wines can get a little too sour. Red Red WINE!!! Stay close to me!

Well... I do love shiraz... merlots... cabernet, pinot noir mostly all reds...

Anything deep dark and red.. the longer it sits the better for me.. I also realize that most wines are either kept in different kind of wood barrels or metal barrels, I do shy from a real oily oaky kind of tasting wine...

http://www.sevenvalleys.com/7v_aboutus.html

^^ going to a winery is like a field trip for me;)

off the winery just a little bit...
I do not prefer anything made by sutter home... they make their wines to spicy for my taste buds..

And if your eating a spicy food with a spicy wine .. look out, you'll find it to taste ten times spicer.. but if you like that blend then it's all good.. I like to stay shy of the spicey things in life...

Now, I always have a red wine while eating a steak.. mostly heavy dinners because wine has something it that breaks down food easier and makes it better to digest in your system.. which also good for me..

an I believe wine is an acquired taste but, if you say you don't like wine you probably just haven't tasted the right one for you yet... so kept trying...

Damn don't have too much timne to comment cause I am on my way to work but I absolutly love wine red wine especially.... Hahaha it is def true what they say as it being an aquired taste cause when I first started drinking the stuff I could only drink blushes and whites.... I even wasted $90.00 on a bottle of red wine on a date whihc the date had to drink all by herself(well maybe it wasnt a complete waste)... Now all I usually drink is Shiraz or cabernet.. Every now and then I can enjoy a glass of Mondavi Fume Blanc but as I said nice full-bodied very dry reds are my fav... Shiraz is my fav with steak though. I tend to like spicier ones with steaks though... Cant wait till this summer when frosty and I are going up to the finger lakes for some wine tours I hear the wineries around Lake Seneca are out of this world!

Funny I was also going to say YellowTail Shiraz everytime I have had a glass I loved it except this last time not sure why... didnt seem dry enough like it usually is was a bit too sweet... Now mabey they poured me the wrong wine... will have to do a follow up on that hehehehe!

Wolf Blass - Yellow Lable (Cabernet Sauvignon)
Wolf Blass - Grey Lable (Shiraz)

both fantastic reds made in south australia.

I love wine too :) MMMMMmmmm! Being the poor student that I am, though, and just a fairly frugal person overall, I am always out to find that bottle that tastes like it should have costs way more than it did---instead of paying a fortune for a bottle. One of my favorites has been the Rosemount estates cab/shiraz blend. It's usually about 6.99 (u.s.) and is just yummy!
Actually, I've liked most everything from them, and they have an awesome website as well, listing even tasting notes and a palate profile (not that i regularly use or understand all of this!)

Powers Muscat Canelli (2002) is an excellent wine. White, with a very sweet and fruity character. Perfect for a dessert wine. It is made by the Powers Winery in Kennewick, WA in the Columbia Valley.

I also like Manischewitz Concord Grape, it tastes almost like grape juice. :D

fizzygirl said:
I love wine too :) MMMMMmmmm! Being the poor student that I am, though, and just a fairly frugal person overall, I am always out to find that bottle that tastes like it should have costs way more than it did---instead of paying a fortune for a bottle. One of my favorites has been the Rosemount estates cab/shiraz blend. It's usually about 6.99 (u.s.) and is just yummy!
Actually, I've liked most everything from them, and they have an awesome website as well, listing even tasting notes and a palate profile (not that i regularly use or understand all of this!)

Yummy Rosemount They have that at Ruby Tuesdays and Fridays when I drink their....... a great overall wine.. perfect on the pallate(for me that is) with any meal or by itself......

One shiraz I don't like though is a shiraz my job carries and that is Thomas Hyland Pennfolds Shiraz.... Tastes a bit too much chianti for my tastes.... I dunno chianti has a wierd aftertaste like "cardboard" almost.... I see chianti as a food wine... but to those chianti lovers out thier more power to them!

^^ No way! Thomas Hyland Pennfolds Shiraz is one of my favs! What year was it?

everyone seems to adore yellow tail, and other australian shirazes! they are quite all quite yummy (especially fizzy's suggestion of the rosemount cab/shi), but i'm a sucker for a wine with a little less body than those.

personally, my favourites are:

-masi valpolicella (italian)
-pretty much any french beaujolais, but i really love the pisse-dru one; inexpensive, light, fruity! mmmmm

haste said:
^^ No way! Thomas Hyland Pennfolds Shiraz is one of my favs! What year was it?

I dunno will def have to get back to you on that.... I work at the Olive Garden so any wine that has Itlain roots(or Italian tastes) they seem to pick.... and for me.... I personally don't like Italian tasting wines....... tastes to much like cardboard to me! working tom night so I will def figure it out and let you know tom after work :)

i come from slovenia. we have over 50 different vines, and i enjoy most of them. the ones that are to expensive not of course.
mostly i prefer red wines like merlot, refosk, teran, cvicek, but i also like some white ones; jeruzalemcan, traminec, vrtovcan, muskat...
maybe you are not familiar with some of these wines, but this year we are entering EU(don't know how that is gonna look like) and i am shure you will get to know them soon.