• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bluelight International Wine Club

The Wine Appreciation Thread

What's your passion? From what country? Year? etc.

*EDIT: Also any tips for buying/selecting wines. Wines you hate, wines you bought and tried...anything.

Let's get real about wine. I've recently taken a huge interest in wine. A girlfriend's mom is very into it and always asks me to try different bottles with her and stuff. I've been privy to some delcious wines in the past few months.

I had a really delightful shiraz/cabernet Australian wine last night with dinner. For the life of me I can't remember it's actual name. :( but it was really good...strong finish

At the last wine tasting I went to, I fell in love with Louis Martini Shiraz...yum

DISCUSS

Last edited:
Hey, how come a wine snob like you can't spell Pinot Grigio?

My personal latest passion has been cheapass sweet pansy 9% girly German wines.

$4.50 Liebfraumilch! Woo!

Because I'm spelling illiterate. I've said it like a million times...and I'm not a wine snob--more like a wanna be wine snob...I just love wine so much--not to get drunk off of...but just to enjoy.

^yellowtail is cheap as hell. its what i drink when im poor. i've tried them all: the best yellowtail is the shiraz and the worst is the chardonnay.

if you're looking for something light but red, may i suggest a george duboeuf beaujolais nouveau---- it is simply amazing. i'm really into french reds right now and i don't know why.

as far as whites go, im always a fan of a riesling. currently i'm drinking a bottle a week of chalet debonne vineyards razzberry riesling---its local, i believe. another local is wolfcreek winery's white lies and although i've never had a glass, i've tried their rhapsody and it's just dry enough for my liking.

oh and if youre looking for a deeper red... tenuta dell'ornellaia le volte is AMAZING. its italian (tuscan) and i believe it is 40% sangiovese, 30% cab and 30% merlot. its an awesome dinner wine.

My fave is kendall jackson Chardonnay. I hate sweet wines, I can't stomach desert wines, rieslings, white zins, love the dry...merlots, cabernet sauvignon, and chardonnays.

I was supposed to be getting a wine making kit for christmas, but we may be putting it off due to too many other goodies spoiling the kids. We will be turning our front closet into a wine closet. A very easy project, and fun, and gorgeous for you other whinos like me :)

faithfully dangerous said:

as far as whites go, im always a fan of a riesling.

Rieslings rule . . . we have a Riesling from Moselland at work that is the fucking bomb diggity.

Kendall Jackson Chardonnay is some good stuff. Bonterra Chardonnay is my current favorite. Smoking Loon Chardonnay is a close second(Might just be the name).

CURSE YOU PEOPLE! YOU MADE ME GO TO THE STORE AND BUY WINE.

(Yellow Tail Cab is was I'm drinking right now.)

(Fuck Merlot.)

(I need to take a nap now)

Bleh, I don't like wine. Is this one of those things I'm supposed to like when I "grow up" like coffee or Scotch? Ick.

Nah chrissie. This "acquired taste" isn't acquired by all. Just those of us who like their minor buzzes to be minorly painful, so we have excuses behind our lushness. ....kinda like art. At least, the good stuff :) .....No! It is really GOOD! I like it SERIOUSLY. YOU just don't get it.

But the funny thing is, I make fun, but uh, I really do :D (like it and think you are just uncultured)

=D

i really enjoy drinking red wine, although i can readily admit that i don't know a whole lot about it. i'm a big fan of really full-bodied red wines, especially if they taste really woody. if i can detect a little bit of oak barrel in my glass of wine, i'm a happy girl.

lately i've been going for any shiraz i can get my hands on. some of the california versions (syrah) are decent, but i really prefer the true australian shiraz. i've had a few nice ones, but i'm terrible with the names of them. i've got a bottle of yellow tail in the house right now, but i'm not sure exactly what my verdict is on that brand. i thought it was awesome last time i had it, but this time it tasted kind of thin to me. either way, it's a good value.

i also really like a good cabernet. i only buy wines priced in the mid-range to try at home so i guess my recommendations should be taken in context, but so far i'd recommend >>ravenswood<<. it's a sonoma wine and i've had good luck with the cabernet. i think the last red zinfandel i had was ravenswood as well, and it was tasty!

i haven't developed a taste for white wines at all. in fact, any chilled wine is out for me. i just don't enjoy it even a little bit. well, unless i'm in barcelona and buying random bottles of white wine for like 2 euro. that was more about fun than quality, but i'd stomach white wine again for a setup like that.

other suggestions for good, deep, affordable reds would be appreciated!

:D

I'd heard people talk about wine having gone bad, but I often wondered if I didn't have the palate to tell or just didn't know enough, etc. Today I realized I've just been lucky, because I bought a bottle of chardonnay and it was just BAD. Not like "eww I don't like this one" bad, but it tasted flat and flavorless and gross and it's one of my (generally) favorite wineries.... then I remembered the cork had been all crumbly. I'm trying to figure out if I want to take it back to the store. It was $8, but $8 to me is a lot to just shrug off :p

Yay I can tell when wine's fucked up :p

^^^ Adult woman = Chardonnay.

And did some negro just pipe in with some bullshit about "true Australian Shiraz"? It's a French variety, and they usually call it "Syrah" there.

Originally posted by fizzygirl
One of my favorites has been the Rosemount estates cab/shiraz blend. It's usually about 6.99 (u.s.) and is just yummy!

This wine inevitably finds its way into my grocery cart every time I'm at the store. The Cab/Merlot is pretty good as well. Lately, however, I've been hooked on the buck Chucks Cabernet and Shiraz...I've probably been going through 2-3 bottles a week. Heh.

One of my all-time favorite reds is the Chateau Soverain Cabernet, especially the 1999 or 2000 vintage. I have a bad habit of drinking any alcoholic beverage I buy, so I don't really like spending much more than twenty US dollars on a bottle. I will readily spend 50+ dollars on a bottle of scotch, however. ;)

I'm not a big fan of whites, and will never buy them on my own. I'm not opposed to drinking them, but you probably won't see any white wines at my house.