• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What's the verdict on polymer matrix type fentanyl patches on how to best use them?

sorry to repost but the patches contain a bit more fent than you think like the 100mcg/h ones I am perscribed at the moment contain 10.2mg fent per patch again sorry for the repost

djx- Great post! You obviously have some experience that is very valuable here.

OM- I had a 100ug/hour patch once and it contained 10mg.

Here is a picture showing that.

Thanks to Cane2theLeft for the info regarding the content of the patches. It would make sense for them to contain a larger amount than mcg/hr x 72.

Wear the patch on an area of the body rich in blood vessels, and apply a heating pad or any other source of heat as hot as you can tolerate it. This will speed the release into the skin.

Now a lot of people have warned the thread starter about the dangers.
It would be nice to continue on track on how to extract the Fentanyl from the Matrix patches.
Information should be free, I for one is very interested on how this method would work.

I have injected Fentanyl from the gel patches, even tried to cut up one matrix patch and soak it in hot water
for like 30min and then injected a amount but nothing happened so something else needs to be done to get the Fentanyl out!

And i have no acess to Fentanyl patches now, im just very curious about these things.

Ok so a quick google search explains hwo to extract them and I won't post it here if it is sensitive. Now what I would like to know is what is a low, 'relatively safe' dose of fentanyl to take at once.

So I know each 50MCG patch has maybe 5.1mg of fentanyl. With this knowledge if it into 1/10ths that would leave me a rectangle with about .5mg in it which could then theoretically be extracted and a certain amount of that consumed (again, I wouldn't know if there is any safe ROA for pure fentanyl even at very low known dosages). I am resisting the urge to try this out since I know it is asking for trouble but I would like to know what range would be a safe dose for someone with a decent opiate tolerance. Now I assume 100mcg aka .1mg would be safe to consume since a patch delivers that much in an hour.

Last edited:
I started extracting two patches last night and had .15-.2mg ready to consume from 1/16 of a patch and I was trying ti figure out a way to IV a .1mg dose for startsd then i realized just how stupid and risky it was and I would rather wake up this morning, I stuck two patches on my arms and don't feel much except that I'm pretty drowsy and was nodding off her and wake up with my finger on a key typig out 10,000 characters, I think that happened seven times before I could bang this post out for good.

so then why do you want to shoot fentanyl when you're getting high off wearing the patch as designed. beside IV fentanyl being extremely dangerous because of the dosage curve, it is so short lived as well.

stick to wearing the patches or using them bucally if you must.

so then why do you want to shoot fentanyl when you're getting high off wearing the patch as designed. beside IV fentanyl being extremely dangerous because of the dosage curve, it is so short lived as well.

I plan to, I wanted to IV fent the same reason I want to IV anything- because I have a needle/IV addiction and I have the substance on hand; it would be especially stupid though and not worth the risk when I could wait and get ANYTHING else so I trashed all my extractions ( I was able to stick one patch that had only been soaking 10 min back o my arm).

I didn't really feel high from it and still don't notice two 50s, the nodding off thing could just be a combination of being tired, fent, and ambien.

Also, when youu wear the patch can you take them off,put them away and re-apply them somehow. If you do this what's the best way to get them to bond to skin and continue working?

I found the patch I had sitting in alcohol for a few minutes stuck right back on fine and reformed a bond when I put it on wet with alcohol, so I'm think this technique could work if someone wanted to take a patch off and reuse it without keeping it on for 72 hours straight.

Ok so a quick google search explains hwo to extract them and I won't post it here if it is sensitive. Now what I would like to know is what is a low, 'relatively safe' dose of fentanyl to take at once.

So I know each 50MCG patch has maybe 5.1mg of fentanyl. With this knowledge if it into 1/10ths that would leave me a rectangle with about .5mg in it which could then theoretically be extracted and a certain amount of that consumed (again, I wouldn't know if there is any safe ROA for pure fentanyl even at very low known dosages). I am resisting the urge to try this out since I know it is asking for trouble but I would like to know what range would be a safe dose for someone with a decent opiate tolerance. Now I assume 100mcg aka .1mg would be safe to consume since a patch delivers that much in an hour.
I don't get the whole "i won't post it here" mindset. If it's not against the rules, it's fine. Dangerous or not to shoot fent, people are going to try to do it. They'll try whatever extraction they think will work, alcohol based, water based, other solvent etc. So, it is in our interest to post such things and discuss the potential negative ramifications of fucking up the extraction and of using that substance. Censorship and banned topics are not conducive to harm reduction.

I have never seen or heard of any way to extract the actual med from a matrix patch in order to shoot it...the best way to use these patches are to wear them or cut them in pieces and gum them...personally i like to just cut a chunk off and chew on it for 20-30 minutes WITHOUT SWALLOWING....just swish the spit and fent around your mouth for the alotted time and you will be nodding off soon enough

I don't get the whole "i won't post it here" mindset. If it's not against the rules, it's fine. Dangerous or not to shoot fent, people are going to try to do it. They'll try whatever extraction they think will work, alcohol based, water based, other solvent etc. So, it is in our interest to post such things and discuss the potential negative ramifications of fucking up the extraction and of using that substance. Censorship and banned topics are not conducive to harm reduction.

Thank you! I totally agree, people started posting with that mentality and by searching I found nothing baout extraction and IV fentanyl on here which made me think some mods were against the topic and this thread would get closed. That wouldn't be unprecedeneted either since many topics that are simply "too dangerous" get closed and there are always strong opinions on fentanyl. Not to mention in my searches there are quotes from people who said they tried psting about IV fent/extraction and their posts got deleted.

So to be clear here, it is easy to extract 90-100% of the fentanyl in these types of patches by soaking them in alcohlo for several hours and scraping away the crystals which is pure fentanyl once the alcohol is evaporated (you remove the patch at some point before letting the remains evaporate). There was a study done with rum, methanol, and another type of alcohol I forget (I'll find the link) and methanol and rum all yielded 90% or higher extraction of fentanyl from these types of patches.

So I started doing that then decided against it. I am wondering once it is extracted like that into its pure form how could it be prepared for IV use and assuming you had an accurate fine scale or measurin method what would be a safe range for dosage? I would guess .1-.2 mg and at least .1mg or less considering the make a patch that delivers .1mg (100mcg) over the course of an hour.

Has anyone tried extracting fent and IVing it from that form? It seems safer than attempting to IV the gel type where you have no idea how much fentanyl you are actually using plus the gel has all sorts of other crap in it.

I have never seen or heard of any way to extract the actual med from a matrix patch in order to shoot it...the best way to use these patches are to wear them or cut them in pieces and gum them...personally i like to just cut a chunk off and chew on it for 20-30 minutes WITHOUT SWALLOWING....just swish the spit and fent around your mouth for the alotted time and you will be nodding off soon enough
I have actually heard sucking on them is quite ineffective....

I have actually heard sucking on them is quite ineffective....

I have heard this, and experienced it. The silicone matrix system was designed to basically deter abuse.
I have cheeked them with a dry mouth, and a mouth wet with saliva--neither experiment produced satisfactory results.
I have tried cheeking them after swishing 70% Isopropanol in my mouth, as some junkie told me that it worked SOMEWHAT for him. Nil for me.
I have tried chewing them for hours and not swallowing any spit. No high and a large mouthful of spit (this made for awkward social situations).
Once while deep in the bowels of withdrawal, I simply put the patch near an artery and applied a heat source. Within an hour I was feeling quite sleepy, and within two hours I was nodding and my WD symptoms were a fart in the wind.

I have heard this, and experienced it. The silicone matrix system was designed to basically deter abuse.
I have cheeked them with a dry mouth, and a mouth wet with saliva--neither experiment produced satisfactory results.
I have tried cheeking them after swishing 70% Isopropanol in my mouth, as some junkie told me that it worked SOMEWHAT for him. Nil for me.
I have tried chewing them for hours and not swallowing any spit. No high and a large mouthful of spit (this made for awkward social situations).
Once while deep in the bowels of withdrawal, I simply put the patch near an artery and applied a heat source. Within an hour I was feeling quite sleepy, and within two hours I was nodding and my WD symptoms were a fart in the wind.

Hmm, interesting. I'm wondering what the best way to re-apply patches is. I had two on for about 12 hours then took them off and stored them. I re-applied one once using some iso alcohol and it seemed to re-create a good bond, I couldn't tell if it was working though (I could never tell if they were working to begin with).

Chewing and sucking on them is always a waste, they were designed not to be abused like that like you said yet a lot of people believe you can get high off them like that- it is very mild or placebo with this type. I still want to try extracting what is left of one and getting 5mg pure fent. I can probably get a couple fresh patches.

Last edited:
I put the pieces of plastic in my mouth. This is supposedly a huge waste though... However, I am not sure if making a tincture works with these Dutch Janssen-Cilag patches.

A few years ago, my cousin put one patch on top of another. It was the last thing she ever did.

I have no use for that shit!! NONE!!

The matrix patches suck, with a decent tolerance wearing them will feel a bit like a 48 hour hydro high minus the euphoria. They are supposed to last 3 days but I cant feel them after 48 or so hours. You can suck on them and that will speed up delivery and make the experience a bit more worthwhile recreationaly. With the buccal method the high will not be all that intense, and it seems to come in waves. There really is no good extraction method for these, and getting an accurate dose out of such a small amount of material would be impossible without some serious scales so just wear them or suck on them. Don't swallow them that wastes most of the fent.

I have a question though since sometimes when the word fentanyl is spoken some people seem to freak out. If you have a low tolerance you shouldn't mess with it period, that's common sense and anyone with a brain should know that. It even says it one the packaging...for opiod tolerant patients only. Why is smoking the gel considered to be so dangerous, its easy to control the dosage that way I think. If you start to feel like you've gone to far, just stop smoking it for a bit...why is that so hard? Smoking it gives a nice rush and is quite euphoric even though it doesn't last very long at all. Smoked fent is up there with oxymorphone and heroin on my preference list.

IV the gel? Fuck that, even if I used needles I would never attempt to IV fentanyl. I stopped getting patches for a friend because I found out he was banging them. I once watched a hardcore junkie who had been using for decades bang a cocktail of H, fent, and coke. I thought he was insane and I really hope I never end up like that. I was perfectly content to smoke the fent and rail the H.

A 100mg/hour patch has 10mgs of Fentanyl in it. Thats enough to kill a opiate/opiod addict if they shot it all at once.

Ok, not all 100mcg/h patches contain 10mg fentanyl. I've been obtaing the new Sandoz Brand polymer matrix patches that contain a total of 16.8mg of fentanyl. That is the highest amount of all the patches and actually the highest single dosed opiate product on the market! Try this on for size why dont you? I get a close estimate to 75 200mcg intraveneous doses from one patch using isopropyl alcohol to extract the, "Fen" chem from the patch, and diluted ethanol alcohol for a safe intraveneous solution.... Thats 75 friggin' shots! Oh I should add:... that is, quite obviously, only when I haven't used it for some time because regular fentanyl intraveneous use carries some of the quickest and most prominent healthy tolerance destroying attributes than most any other continued opiate relationship second to an Oxycontin/Codone IV schedule and next to that an Oxymorphone/Hydromorphone IV schedule. That is just my experience and that of many regularly opiate using individuals I've encountered through my travels and studies...