• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What's the verdict on polymer matrix type fentanyl patches on how to best use them?

Oxymorphone

Bluelighter
After much searching I have read claims of people somehow boiling and using all sorts of crazy methods to extract the fentanyl out of the matrix to smoke and there have even been some claims about being able to IV them but no official method or verified reports. For harm reduction reasons,I won't ask and wouldn't want anyon to attempt to IV them and smoking is dangerous enough which I am also not interested in.

In terms of 'safer' fentanyl use, what's the best way to get the most out of the Mylan brand type patches that have no gel and the fentanyl is locked in a polymer matrix? Is cutting them up and sucking on squares effective? I have heard people suggest putting a square in your mouth against your cheek, wouldn't sublingual be preferable? What tricks are there to speed up the delivery to make these somewhat recreational? I have a few of the the 50 mcg patches to play around with.

I know this has been discussed before and I searched quite a bit and got a lot of garbage info as mentioned above and I think it would be good to get a solid verdict on the best way to use these if they have any recreational value whatsoever. :)

the only way to make sure you dont kill yourself with these patches is to not abuse them. this is fire. dont play with it

Last edited:
edit: quote with fent extraction methods removed by request from author

Yeah the deadly part scares me. If you do extract it then what is a good ROA that is somewhat safe? I have no idea how potent it is. I sucked on one for a little while on and off and it contributed to my heroin buzz but I didn't feel anything major, how long do they last when you suck on them.

Also let's say you could extract the fentanyl from the patch, how much fentanyl is on each patch? They make 50, 100, and 150 MCG right?

Last edited:
ok... with what you just said im seriously worried about you trying any of this... if you have no idea how potent it is.. you should probably stay very far away from it.

ANY METHOD OF ADMINISTRATION OTHER THEN WEARING A FENT PATCH IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

if you do manage to extract the fent you will be working with NEXT TO NO POWDER AT ALL. it would be EXTREMELY hard to dose without having a scale that weighs out to 1mg.

in all honesty i see this going very badly for you...

im going to post this again just to make this clear

AS FAR AS I (AND MOST) ARE CONCERNED THERE IS NO SAFE ROI FOR PURE FENT.

ok... with what you just said im seriously worried about you trying any of this... if you have no idea how potent it is.. you should probably stay very far away from it.

ANY METHOD OF ADMINISTRATION OTHER THEN WEARING A FENT PATCH IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

if you do manage to extract the fent you will be working with NEXT TO NO POWDER AT ALL. it would be EXTREMELY hard to dose without having a scale that weighs out to 1mg.

Understood, after considering this I will not attempt to try it and the first thing I said was I was not looking for this type of info to be posted because I know how sensitive it is. I was mainly looking to get opinions as to ways to use it more effectively while still in a safe range (like sublingual use of cut squares).

As dangerous as fentanyl is I don't think it's the best policy that the information is so taboo it is completely censored and forbidden, in the interest of harm reduction there should be full disclosure and not the whole "don't talk or even think about doing it because you will die" mentality. I see the opposing argument is that since it is so dangerous to extract and use it's best to hide any information that could get people to try it, however I find it odd that it can't even be talked about. All otheropioids and any number of drugs are all highly dangerous and kill way more people than fentanyl yet we still talk about them openly. :eek:

I believe they are 25, 50, 75, and 100 mcg/hr patches.

So if they are supposed to last three days then by my math these 50mcg/hr patches contain 3.6mg of fentanyl, correct? Hypothetically if someone had pur fentanyl,and this is of interest in terms of general harm reduction and I read about heroin being cut with it, what would be considereda 'safe' dosage in its raw form? I'm assuming that an hourly dose taken at once of lets say 50 or 100 micrograms would be safe, is that a fair assumption? I am trying to picture that little amount of powder it's like nothing.

Every time I've had fentanyl in the ER or other settings IV, I was started on 100ug and that was when I had little or no tolerance... and yeah, that is TINY TINY TINY dose physically and hence why that shit is so insidiously dangerous.

Every time I've had fentanyl in the ER or other settings IV, I was started on 100ug and that was when I had little or no tolerance... and yeah, that is TINY TINY TINY dose physically and hence why that shit is so insidiously dangerous.

Jesus they gave you fentanyl IV in the ER when you had no tolerance? I thought they only gave fentanyl to people with big opiate tolerances where weaker ones weren't working. Hospitals and ERs usually only give morphine for pain, dilaudid IV only if it is really bad and morphine doesn't cut it,

^100ug of fentanyl IV wasn't that strong, its equivalent to about 10mg of morphine IV. With no tolerance it didn't make me sick or anything, it was appropriate for the pain. One of the first times I had to go to the ER they gave me 4mg of hydromorphone which is equivalent to about 270ug of fentanyl.... that was a bit too much. They didn't do the hydrmorphone slowly like they should of and it felt like my chest was being crushed and I got sick from it.

^100ug of fentanyl IV wasn't that strong, its equivalent to about 10mg of morphine IV. With no tolerance it didn't make me sick or anything, it was appropriate for the pain. One of the first times I had to go to the ER they gave me 4mg of hydromorphone which is equivalent to about 270ug of fentanyl.... that was a bit too much. They didn't do the hydrmorphone slowly like they should of and it felt like my chest was being crushed and I got sick from it.

Just curious where are you getting your source for dose equivalencies because I've been looking to see what fentanyl doses are equivalent to.

If you google 'equianalgesic' you'll get many options.

Here is a handy reference in chart form.

This is the same site but is a dosage converter calculator.

ok... with what you just said im seriously worried about you trying any of this

I agree wiht you man. To the OP: If you were already on heroin you should never take any fentanyl man. And like smoketrails said if you dont know how potent it is..then you shouldnt be abusing it.

Each patch actually has more then it says on it since not all the Fent gets absorbed through the skin..so there is extra. A 100mg/hour patch has 10mgs of Fentanyl in it. Thats enough to kill a opiate/opiod addict if they shot it all at once.

Hey guys. Obviously this is my first post so I understand if you do not wish to take it seriously, however I do have quite extensive experience in the use of fentanyl.

In anaesthetic practice in the United Kingdom, we use fentanyl more often than morphine. In the UK, anaesthetists also have responsibility for acute and chronic pain management, so we are not just about rendering people unconcius!

Anyway, in the acute pain management setting (which is more relevant here), we use 10mcg of fentanyl as equipotent to 1mg of IV morphine.

In the typical opiate naive person with acute post-operative pain, we would administer up to 100mcg of IV fentanyl in 20mcg increments every 2 minutes. Obviously if the patient showed any signs of reduced level of conciousness, we would stop immediately.

If the patient was still complaining of pain then we would administer a further 100mcg in 10mcg increments over no less than 30 minutes.

If still in pain then we would consider other options, such as low dose ketamine or IV clonidine.

Using this strict protocol I have never experienced a respiratory arrest or loss of conciousness, however I am not saying that this has never happened, just that I have never seen it happen.

Obviously I am talking here about the use of fentanyl in the hospital setting, where one can use it quite aggressively, safe in the knowledge that resuscitation equipment and help from others is immediately available.

If you use fentanyl at home and happen to lose conciousness and stop breathing then firstly there may be nobody there to help you and secondly, if there is somebody with you, then there won't be the equipment or expertise available in order for them to do anything to prevent you from dying.

As you were saying, a 50mcg/hour fentanyl patch would contain 3600 mcg of the drug (50mcg x 72 hours), so if you wanted to self administer 20mcg at a time sub-lingualy, then you would have to cut the patch into 180 equal pieces!

Obviously not all of the fentanyl would be released into your circulation at the same time and some of it would probably swallowed and therefore lost. So you *may* be able to get away with administering in larger increments, however I wouldn't recommend this until you have more experience with using the drug in this way.

As the fentanyl will be released into your circulation a lot slower than if you were to administer it intravenously I would advise administering your incremental doses not less than 2-3 hours apart.

As for the actual business of cutting the patch up then I'm sure you could manage this with a calculator, ruler, fine marker and a bit of patience!

If you would like further information or references then PM me and I'd be happy to help.

DISCLAIMER: This material is presented for information only, do not do any of what I have I told you! ;)

Sorry, in the above post I did not mention how fentanyl has different pharmacological actions to morphine.

Briefly, fentanyl is a lot more likely to cause respiratory depression than morphine and is more likely to suppress your gag reflex, which makes it very useful for anaesthetising people (in conjunction with anaesthetic gases or IV agents). These properties also make it a lot more dangerous.

I agree wiht you man. To the OP: If you were already on heroin you should never take any fentanyl man. And like smoketrails said if you dont know how potent it is..then you shouldnt be abusing it.

Each patch actually has more then it says on it since not all the Fent gets absorbed through the skin..so there is extra. A 100mg/hour patch has 10mgs of Fentanyl in it. Thats enough to kill a opiate/opiod addict if they shot it all at once.

Source please? It's not that hard to believe but I would like to see some verification on that

hahaha this always happens when fentanyl is discussed....if you want to know how to use it recreationally feel free to email or pm me and I will tell you what you need to know....fent is available in 12, 25, 50, 75, 100mcg/h patch form and from 200mcg-1600mcg lollipops which is some serious shit....anyways ive been on this junk for a few years and have done a few things with them so if you have any questions I may be of some help. later