Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Dxm

dexter_stayne

Bluelighter
Just wondering, what is the best source of DXM and just a quick rundown of its overall effects?

I had a friend scull a bottle of cough syrup and it didn't look too healthy... :(

i tried dxm for the first time last night i took roughly 300mg it was a wierd expirience not unpleasent just wierd oh and im still feeling very odd now

have wanted to try this for several years, but all the medicines i found contained other ingredients (eg panadol or whatever) so i gave up. BUT, my dear ol mum just had a cold and bought some benadryl forte, which only has dxm as the active ingredient......it also contains sorbitol, a laxitive. its not listed as an active ingredient, so maybe they just throw it in to stop u necking the whole bottle (or so u shit it out if u do!).....

Im not aware of any other sources, so am looking fwd to hear from ppl whove tried benadryl forte, or anything else available in oz! rather than hearing about the effects of the dxm itself (easy to find on the web, and different 4 everyone naturally) i want to know about side effects from the medicine itself.

rezinate

Last edited:
Robitussin DX is the one you want. Not EX, not PS, not DM. Just DX. There is also NO need to drink an entire bottle of syrup to get recreational effects; indeed, there are several plateaux of effects, which you can read about in the DXM FAQ by William White, which is hosted at Erowid. By choosing the correct dose you can achieve pleasant effects suited to your environment. Drinking a whole bottle will generally make you trip SO hard you may not know what's going on around you, not good in public IMO. Keep in mind that the effects of DXM last 6-8 hours. I advise people to always start low, because DXM is somewhat different to other drug effects, and not everyone likes it - furthermore, DXM is metabolised by the same liver enzyme as MDMA, which means that 1 in 10 people on average are hypersensitive to the effects, so it's worth starting carefully to test your limits. This is also the reason that MDMA and DXM are contraindicated meaning you should avoid mixing the two drugs at all costs.

Please avoid all other DXM preparations which contain additional active ingredients, such as paracetamol (acetominaphen/APAP) and pseudoephedrine, as these are not beneficial to the DXM trip and can cause unpleasant effects. Other ingredients such as sorbitol and guaiphenisin can add some uncomfortable gastro effects: having nausea and diarrhea while on DXM isn't that cool.

Please refer to the Erowid DXM Vault for a wealth of information on dextromethorphan.

BigTrancer :)

So how much of a bootle would be recommened in drinking for a good trip. I am keen to try but hate the taste of medicines, even if there nice or flavoured.

The dose will vary depending on what you want out of the trip I guess, and what your definition of "good trip" is.

To give you a guide, check the FAQ on erowid for descriptions of the effects at each "Plateau" because they differ quite a bit. IMHO, I like to slowly increase the dose and enjoy each part of the experience: 30-50mL of DX syrup (which gives a DXM dose of 90-150mg) is (imo) a mellow first plateau dose which can be social, a little euphoric, and a good body buzz.

If you dose a bit higher and hit 2nd plateau (each person's doses kinda vary so I won't list doses for the 2nd 3rd 4th plateaux), you'll know it, because your eyes will cross and you'll be in double-vision land for a few hours. Second plateau, in my experience, is less euphoric, less social, and more introspective - some visuals, bit more trippy in the head, but mostly able to be aware of what's going on around you still, besides a heavy body load.

Third and Fourth, you can read about in the FAQ. :) There's tons of good info there.

PS: Just to reiterate an earlier point, please never combine DXM and MDMA. :)

is Robitussin DX available in Oz?

Ive never had the balls to ask, and everytime i start looking around, someone will come and ask me if i need any help.....BUT ive never seen robitussin DX, and thought it was US only? Hope im wrong!

That would be an availability question... but there are actually commercials on television advertising Robitussin products, which are definitely available in this country. Thank you drive through.

rezinate: If your nervous about asking, go in there with the type of syrup written down on a peice of paper and show it to the chemist/worker and say your mum/dad/ or whoever asked you to buy a bottle of this because you normally forget stuff like that

No BigTrancer, that would be a legality question!

Yeah will go in and ask for it - i have no probs if i know they sell it, just hate asking if they dont (coz its kinda hard to refuse some other medicine that they reccomend otherwise).

Another question - from the reports ive read, it sounds like it makes u quite drowsy - so why then does it proclaim "non-drowsy formula"?

rezinate said:
is Robitussin DX available in Oz?

!
Yep, Its the one you want. The only one with just DXM as the active ingredient. It'll be with all the other types of Robotussin.

I haven't tried it yet but i am intersted in it. Those of you that have tried it, is it enjoyable and worth the experience?

its a decent trip, try it out just dont underestimate its power like i did, oh that was a bad bad night :p

En_warp, just make sure you start with a low dose. Too much DXM can be excessively unpleasant. Starting low will allow you to get familiar with the effects, determine whether you enjoy it or not and then you can decide if you want to go further.

I like the stuff, but I find the experience I have is very dose dependent. High doses turn me into an antisocial, introspective thought bubble for a good 6-9 hours of immobility. A lower dose and I'm easily humoured, quite social and mobile.

:)

In my experience, DXM is kind of cool but it also kind of sux.

When you just have a little bit you are likely to have a surprisingly good time, but when you take a lot it just fucks with your mind too much to be enjoyable, and is often scary. DXM is a WEIRD drug. I remember I totally loved it at first but I became scared off it when I took higher dosages and it started freaking me out. Sometimes it makes you really euphoric, or really content. Sometimes you feel like you're on a rollercoaster.

As for cough syrups, there are cheaper ones than Robotussin (described by one DXM user as the "Moet & Chandon" of syrups) and they work just as well, they just don't taste as good. The "Agent Lemon" technique of extracting the DXM is easy and makes for a much better trip because it stops any chance of you vomiting.

I took it at school one time and I had to pretend to be really tired in class so I could close my eyes and "dissociate" from reality. I was acting so weird, all my friends thought it was heaps funny. I had to run out of Maths and spew in a plastic bag in the corridor. I went home early and passed out for a few hours... it was definitely a trip to remember.

In conclusion, if you can handle the nausea and just start off with small doses then DXM is worth a try.

I used to have a deep love affair with DXM, it can be so good when you get the hang of it. However, lots of people get horrendous hangovers, and I find that if you let yourself get dehydrated, the hangovers can be particularly unpleasant (lasting a couple of days).

There's a definite 'honeymoon period' with DXM you can see it in just about everyone who likes the effects... you can want to do it every weekend or more frequently for awhile, and then all of a sudden, like clockwork, it all just becomes WAY too much of an effort hehe. By magic the positive effects are still as positive, but there's this wierd way your brain just associates the negatives with the substance, rather than the positive effects. (imo)

i tried it on friday night and am still just getting over the sort of wierd hangover i have had also the effects were never really obvious in that i knew i was zonked out of my gourd but i didnt really think it was mind blowing.....

this was a dose of 100 ml's or 300 mg's