Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Codeine

Xherrus

Bluelighter
Hey everyone,

I would be interested to discuss the experience of Codeine with others who have used it - I have tried it maybe 10 times, extracting it from the tablets into cold water as in the Codeine FAQ. I find that Rapidene is the best brand of painkillers because you don't have to crush up the tablets, they are gelcaps with the powder inside.

I find it's quite good for relaxing, but I haven't really experienced the "contentment" that opiates are known for... I am always still a little bit edgy and it feels like something is lacking during the high. The effect I notice most is just dopeyness and an inability to concentrate.

At first I tried a few doses around the 100mg mark, which did very little. Since then my highest dose would have been something around 200mg worth of tablets... I would like to find a dosage mark that gets me extremely content and relaxed without falling asleep and wasting the high.

I am interested to hear what Codeine does for other people, and what to combine it with, if anything - smoking weed always makes me paranoid on it, and alcohol is supposed to make it less euphoric, although I heard red wine is good to drink with it. My final question is, how frequently would one have to use Codeine to get addicted to it, and at what dosage range?

I look forward to learning a bit more about this interesting drug.

- Xherrus

That's a pretty good description of codeine, and compares well with my experiences (except the weed paranoia bit). I personally find the onset of alcohol effects to be quite euphoric, particularly with an acute dose.

As you've mentioned, codeine can be habit-forming. I'm not sure if there are any hard and fast rules about when you will and won't develop a dependence on codeine, I think the mileage will vary on that one for a lot of people. Suffice to say, if you're using on a regular basis then you open yourself to the possibility of developing a tolerance. This means that you'll need more and more to get high, and the higher doses create worse tolerance, and so on.

There are people who consider codeine to be an inferior opiate-high to other, stronger opioids, but that comes with the territory.

BigTrancer :)

In the mid 90's when it was really easy to get Panadol Forte from old doctors (bad back syndrome) I took codeine once a week for 2 years, and although i was not physically addicted, I got pretty psycologically addicted - eg. I found it hard to wait till the weekend, and got pretty obsessed about it in the second year of consumption.

And I found that smoking weed on codeine took away the high, but at the time I was only smoking a few joints a week, so I had little tolerence to weed.

And I found it is better to wait until the codeine 'high' has run out, then slowly drink a few beers, and it kicks the high back on, but dont drink too quickly or the alcohol will over ride the codeine feeling.

I also find codeine USELESS for 'partying' - but I find it great at home by myself, but I usually feel real chatty, so then I call lots of people up, like parents, brother, friends, and because I feel so confident on codeine I call up all sorts of old numbers that I have not called in a while, and have a great time, especially on a wireless phone so i can keep roaming around the house making drinks - milo in hot water (no added milk) because it is REALLY easy to get down on codeine and stay down, and doing other stuff. I usually have the best time.

If you feel too 'straight' on codeine (alot of people do), then what I do is buy from the supermarket 2 packets of poppy seeds, wash then (with a whisk) in 2 cups of warm water, then drain them well, and drink this 1/2 an hour BEFORE drinking the codeine, so they come on at the same time. The poppy 'wash' is more like opium in that you feel a bit out of it (not so straight), and lasts longer than codeine. It tastes disgusting like opium, but the high is worth it.

The seeds contain no opium, only the outside of the seeds contain a little bit.

I have founds some seeds do not work well, some made me feel sick, but the majority work well.

A few years ago the government was going to ban all sales of poppy seeds for this reason, but the Eastern European comminity kicked up a huge fuss, because they could not go with there apple struddle, poppy seed cake, and other pastry delights.

Have fun.

I find it's quite good for relaxing, but I haven't really experienced the "contentment" that opiates are known for...
You gotta remember that as far as opiates go, codeine is by far the shittiest.
It's like drinking cask wine and wondering where the subtle nuances and bouquet of flavours are.
It's quite possible you'll never achieve that 'content' feeling on codeine, I know I never have.
I haven't used it recreationally since I was about 13, because quite frankly I think it's just a shitty drug.
If you want a decent opiate high, use a decent opiate, if you aren't prepared to make that leap, then don't bother at all.
Just my two cents.

Remember that codeine has to go through an extensive conversion process in order to become morphine, and on the way much of it is lost. So you are effectively taking a very small dose of morphine (a little warning - don't get your hands on morphine and think you can take an equivalent dose!)

I'm with Steve Elektro here in that I think the textbook opiate effects aren't produced by codeine.

:)

well... I got the impression that Codeine is at least a decent way to get high - it rips shit over weed at least. I like how it makes you more confident and I love the feeling of assurance and security.

Of course it doesn't come close in potency to heroin, but it is strong enough to be addictive, right? I would have assumed that larger doses (over 400mg) give at least a halfway-decent high.

Anyway I am looking forward to trying heroin when I can find some. I have just been trying Codeine to get a bit of an idea of what opiates are like. If it is such a weak opiate, then I have much to look forward to when I try the hard stuff, hey.

I tried codeine in a recreational way for the first time friday night (now sunday evening). I got home from work and thought I'd give it a shot as I'd been thinking bout it for a while and had been reading a fair bit about it on here in numerous threads.
I used nurofen+ and just split them and took the side with da N+ on it. First I took 12 and sat down to watch a bit of TV. Within about 15-20 minutes I started to feel effects. I found it to be quite a bizzare experience, just kinda sat their out of it watching tv but not really watching it if you know what i mean. Body went kinda numb and tingly. About 30 minutes later I took another 5 just to make sure things kept going as I was enjoying the experience. So all up I had a does of almost 220mg. I also had a few beers with it, only 2 cos i didn't wanna spoil the effect of the codeine.
I think I will do it again but maybe not when i have to work early the next morning. I took the dose at about 11:30 fri night and my eyes were still and mess, red, bloodshot saturday morning and were fairly scary looking til about noon.
I dont recall everything that happened when i took the codeine, i sent a few sms's that i dont remember sending, (found out from friends next day) and a few things are just a bit fuzzy. Had some pretty twisted dreams too that night trying to sleep, I say trying cos i got a fairly interupted sleep.

Beech out

Of course it doesn't come close in potency to heroin, but it is strong enough to be addictive, right?
Definitely absolutely completely entirely yes yes yes. Strength is no indication of addictive potential.

Be wary with opiates.

:)

beech said:
I tried codeine in a recreational way for the first time friday night (now sunday evening). I got home from work and thought I'd give it a shot as I'd been thinking bout it for a while and had been reading a fair bit about it on here in numerous threads.
I used nurofen+ and just split them and took the side with da N+ on it. First I took 12 and sat down to watch a bit of TV. Within about 15-20 minutes I started to feel effects. I found it to be quite a bizzare experience, just kinda sat their out of it watching tv but not really watching it if you know what i mean. Body went kinda numb and tingly. About 30 minutes later I took another 5 just to make sure things kept going as I was enjoying the experience. So all up I had a does of almost 220mg. I also had a few beers with it, only 2 cos i didn't wanna spoil the effect of the codeine.
I think I will do it again but maybe not when i have to work early the next morning. I took the dose at about 11:30 fri night and my eyes were still and mess, red, bloodshot saturday morning and were fairly scary looking til about noon.
I dont recall everything that happened when i took the codeine, i sent a few sms's that i dont remember sending, (found out from friends next day) and a few things are just a bit fuzzy. Had some pretty twisted dreams too that night trying to sleep, I say trying cos i got a fairly interupted sleep.

Beech out

Well i must have a lot of opiate receptors in my brain, because I feel high on codeine, very clear headed, mentally very alert, lots of dopamine, body feels floaty, and walking is amazing, and talking about anything to anybody is great.

I have taken codiene about 100-150 times over the last 10 years, from 100mg to 150mg, and I have enjoyed it everytime.

It sounds like you got Iburophen poising to me. YOu should get no red eyes from codeine, you should only get small pupils.

I would get asprin (which is not water soluable) codeine pills and put them in water and filter them with a coffee filter. Much safer. Get Pandeine Forte (30mg) so you get even less paracetamal.

I really doubt that the codeine is in one side of the pills, and Iburophen is in the other. Just my opinion.

The one time I tried a recreational dose of codeine, I found that the high was in no way worth the amount of effort I had to go through to do a cold water extraction. If it was as simple as getting it and taking it then I may have explored it further, but I remember thinking at the time that there probably wasn't much scope with it. So coupled with the fact that it's a pain in the arse to take, I haven't bothered again with it.

Well codeine phosphate may not be a textbook opiate, but effects from dihydrocodeine are often said to closely resemble those from heroin. In terms of structure this is a bit odd (but not unheard of), as dihydrocodeine is identical to codeine except for a saturated bond in the former, which alters molecular conformity (shape and how the molecule flexes) from other typical opiates. However, as dihydrocodeine is eliminated largely unchanged from the body it may have some interesting actions not typical of codeine (which is converted to morphine in the brain).

I met a guy years ago who'd come to this area to give up heroin after a 12 year habit. His bro had secured enough heroin for both to use beyond their "expected" lifespans [?]. Anyway, he felt he had to get far away from the constant temptation so moved up Qld way to live with family (non-tolerant, non-users).

This guy indeed didn't use heroin again (apart from a little splash years later) but slowly weaned opiates out of his body with paracodeine linctus over an 18 month period. He always said it was the closest thing to H. I found it was quite a powerful drug, but typical of opiates for me so it didn't leave much of an impression, although the afternoon was rather amazing; sailing on the river at sunset ;)

It's probably been said but never take codeine with MDMA as codeine inhibits CYP2D6, the enzyme preferred/required for the metabolism of both. Dihydrocodeine with MDMA is not safe either, as although most is eliminated unchanged, depending upon individual metabolism some may also be metabolised (O-methylation) via 2D6

Dr Beat,
I guess everyone is different in their reaction to drugs. I did a bit of reserach on the whole codeine thing and the general consensus on a number of threads was that nurofen+ pills can simply be split in half to separate the codeine from the ibuprofen. The two seperate halves must be different in some manner otherwise why would they have the split line? I would imagine that i did get some sort of does of ibuprofen too because of the nature of the splits, not all of em were perfectly clean splits and there would have been some residue of the ibuprofen side of the pill on the halves that i took but i doubt it would have been enough to give me ibuprofen poisioning.
You mentioned the whole walking thing being pretty amazing experience, what other reactions do u get to codeine, like what else is involved in your high.
I just felt really weird on it and not 100% sure whether the experience was 'fun/enjoyable' but it was definately an experience. I dar say I will do it again, maybe I will try it with a different source such as panadeine forte or asprin, although as others suggest their is a fair bit of fucking around in doing a cold water extraction. Its a lot quicker to just split a dozen or so pills.

Beech out

Well like I said before I must have a lot of opiate receptors, because half the people I have given codeine to have said they feel little or nothing.

I get the reactions as I described in the other post, and at 150mg doses I get an itchy nose and keep rubbing it with my nuckle (like Junkies do so I try not to do it much in public) and I get abit itchy around my body, and when I lie down to go to sleep I get a dreaming thing while awake happening as I nod off to sleep, and I have no appitite and I cannot eat large/complex food, so I just drink cups of warm milo to keep my blood suger up. Over all I feel very clear headed and 'straight' but high. A day or two later I feel a bit serious and grumpy.

Then again, I get very high from wheat, medium high from oats and other gluten grains, as they have exdorphans in them, so I generally do not eat them anymore, as they get me high and then I crash (get very moody) the next day. So I stick to rice which I find very calming.

You can read about this at www.13.waisays.com/zombie.htm if you want to know more about exdorphans.

Last edited:
i'm one of the unlucky 7% of while people that don't get high from codine. i get very druggy and out of it but no euphoria what so ever.

I have a strong irrational fear of the dentist. I want to take something before I go that will numb/sedate me slightly, but will not interfere with the lidocaine (or whatever they use) given to numb my gums/teeth. Would codeine be suitable for this?

Xherrus,

U say u find the high a little lacking. I know its different, but i recently tried opium (twice). The second time i made sure i had enuf - was definately high, and felt quite nauseus sitting up and my eyes open. But everytime i shut my eyes (so i didnt feel sick) I kept thinking "is this it?" and wanted to have a smoke of weed.

infact, the only ppl who ive heard rate opiates "high" on their list of great drug experiecnes are ppl who take em regularly. my own theory is that, like nicotine, most of the pleasure comes from satisfying the craving your brain has. And as for addictive? My thoughts are that it probably becomes addictive soon after u find that it no longer makes u feel sick.

Your choice, but just be careful.....opiates sound very addictive, and trying it until u get an expected high that addicts rave on about can only lead to troubl.

Boo Boo said:
I have a strong irrational fear of the dentist. I want to take something before I go that will numb/sedate me slightly, but will not interfere with the lidocaine (or whatever they use) given to numb my gums/teeth. Would codeine be suitable for this?

Courage is what you need.

Last time i when to the dentist, (about 5 years ago), i got fillings and walked out thinking "Wow that didnt hurt at all".

But, i too are scared to go back. 8)

BooBoo I can understand completely.

A good mate of mine has just had his mouth full of rotting teeth removed under GA. Although he'd seen the odd dentist as a kid - due to an absolute phobia - he'd never actually been able to get in the chair after about age 11. If anyone touched his teeth he would go into a hysterical rage, once having attacked a dentist who kindly agreed to check him out in the waiting room. At 31, it had become more than urgent that he get something done, as an abscess had begun to affect bone in his jaw.

His mouth became so bad that he and his wife hadn't been able to kiss for nearly 6 months, so it was a major announcement when he said he would get the job done. He said he'd found a clinic specially suited to cowards. He was first checked out, then had moulds made for false teeth without any pain at all.

For some people it's virtually impossible to ignore the fear experienced. Even anticipating going to the dentist can bring on an anxiety attack. "Being brave" is just not an option for some people, so ask on the phone if they cater for cowards. Also check if they have nitrous. This can certainly do the trick for some people. As a relaxant, valium is probably better for the job than codeine, but you'll need a script and probably someone to drive you to and from the clinic. Nitrous on the other hand wears off pretty quickly, and the very slight residual effect can make the ride home interesting.

Good luck.

Last edited: