• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids almost out of meds, pain managment hasnt accepted me yet, what are my options

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjthor

Greenlighter
So my othrodpedic doctor told me to stop coming to him on the 9th of this month. Said there wasnt nothing left he could do for me. Wrote me my last 2 week script off percocet, a referal for pain management and physical therapy.
Since then , my insurance will only cover one pain management clinic near me. So i had my dr's receptionist fax all my stuff over there last friday(xrays,notes on last visits,referal to pain management, ) so they said the dr needs to review my records then decide if i can be a patient. I scheduled an appoint for physical therapy in the 29th(hospital is only ppl who take va premier, and it was the soonest appointment)
Well i run out of my 2 week script on this Tuesday coming out. I called the pain management clinc and they couldn't tell me yet if i was accepeted. Im panicking bcs ive been on oxycodone 5 mg, 2 pills, every 6 hours for 5 months. I get 120 every 14 days.
What do i do? I dont have a primary physician. And even if i did see my moms primary ,he wont prescribe narcotics i think.

How long do these reviews take? How am i suppose to start physical therapy to learn how to walk again with nothing to manage the pain? No pills,no injections, i dont even have a pain doctor at the moment, just my last percocets, that i need for relief!

I doubt the e.r. can do much. I called my insurance and they said i could go to a pain management dr and pay out of pocket, they'll cover the script. But out of experience could anyone see me that fast?

I never have had this happen to me before, i got hit by a car in October, and got alot of injuries, im trying to stretch them out as long ws i can, but motrin only does so much, and diflonac.

What are my options? I understand why my doctor didn't want to see me anymore, i get there's alot of controversy with pain meds from the fda and media but idk what to do. Im trying my best with what i have, and get to physical therapy too. But chronic pain is a bitch.(i am no way asking for help on how to get pankillers, i just want to know what ppl r suppose to do in my situtation)plz no cynical advice.

Last edited:
Im sorry to be impatient but idk what i can do. I understand some ppl could just go to their primary physician and they could qrite them a scirpt till they get to pain managment(hell even its just tramdol) stretching out my my pills has left me in crippling pain.i try to walk when i feel better and on my medication but its tough, but since im trying to stretch my medication there are alot more hours of the day that i lay in bed bcs my back,neck,legs,and knees hurt. Im takin a ton of mortin with it, im taking bendrayl cuz my doctor told me took take that with them,im taking diflonac 75mgs to but damn, this acute and chronic pain doesnt go away with just that.

I know ive made a thread on here cuz one time i ran short of my meds , i learned my lesson (that was a hard one to learn, i was i bed for days and slept as much as i could till i could see my dr.) Ive bought of the streets a couple times but put ab end to that cuz its so expensive and bcs with that money i could be going to a better doctor, or feed me and my fiance.

Im a man whose trying his best, i cant go back and change gh past, if i could i wouldnt have crossed that road. Id be in college by now but i cant change that now. I want to go back to tatooing to, but this pain hurts ,and that tat machine viberating hurts my shoulders. I just want a quality of life again. Thats why i got the physical therapy set up,and if this pain doctor accepts me ill do anything even if its injections of any kind.(im scared but i cant just rely on opiates all my life )

Any advice on what,or who i can go to if i dont get into a pain clinic before i run out of my medication. (I would try pot, but pain clinics would drug test so thats why i havent touched it.. ive been covering my tattoos,i shaved my facail hair off,i havent drank in a year) i just get frustrtated bcs ppl in chronic pain get labeled, but then i look at family friends who live in pennslyvannia, and they get whatever they want, when me it seems i have to jump through hoops,and show that i dont use my medication to get high.(im on a lower dose, and i was on diluadid before, but the lightheaded ,high feeling made me feel uncomfortable, so i asked to switch months ago)
Thank you and i guess ill just keep trying ,calling this dr, and praying. Sorry for my cynical behavior in past posts.

from reading several of your threads on this topic, your best option is to go through the withdrawals from the percocet(or taper the dose to last until your pain management appointment), and go to your pain management appointment as scheduled.

I'd recommend not going to the E.R. again, as you have to be seriously close to being labeled a 'drug-seeker', at which point even if your pain management doctor determines you need narcotic medicine, he will be less likely to prescribe.

Do not resort to illegal drugs before your pain management appointment, as that could also prevent you from getting needed treatment.

Continue to do any rehab that has been suggested.

Taper, then withdraw. Then hit your appointment. You have no other options. Also, this IS going to suck. You've been on pain meds since October. Withdrawal will not be fun. You'll live through it, but its gonna suck.

Stock up on some loperamide/ibuprofen and use it as you start to taper. Makes the GI issues much more tolerable.

So ppl who are where im at have no options, even though i got legit pain. Dont judge me on last posts, i was desperate, truth is i would only buy off the street once or twice. And i went through days of pain and learned a hard lesson. And i think its very cynical to judge me, and suggest all my pain is just withdrawel/addiction. (I know some will accompany it, but i didnt ask to be on a narcotic this whole time, i asked my dr at that time about spinal injections,surgery and alternatives, but he said with my acute pain this was a good route)

There are ppl in chronic pain who have legit, just bcs my dr never did a mri doesnt mean nothing esle is wrong, and just bcs he didnt find anything majorly wrong doesnt mean theres nothing wrong. I read online and have family who get told nothings wrong, then another dr looks at them and they got torn muscles, or have cancer. I dont suggest i got cancer.
I got physical therapy set up and ill do as much as i can with i high pain level. But i do have spinal problems , a car hit me, im numb in places. Maybe this isnt the right thread to ask what someone in chronic pain should do.
Thank u for ur opinion, but im not an addict. I stopped drinking a year ago(wasnt an alocholic just didnt care for it), been on low dosages of xanax for panic attacks(never abused them)for years! Then stopped for a year but got back on itnbcs the stress im under between court,and this.

Did i make a mistake on running out of my last script, yes ,but who hasnt once? I learned my lesson. I just find it hard to believe the only option is to "suck it up" , and if i wasnt in real pain why would a doctor(even one who did not care for me) prescribe me medication ? And hismopinion was not to lower it.
Nothing i can do about the therapy till i get there, i waited bcs i need legit surgery on my toe and bcs i waited for a second opinion cuz my lawyer told me too. I might need another surgery on my leg to straighten out the bone, but that could take up to another year of healing. . I feel like i might as well just make a new user name on here, bcs i made one bad decision of asking for advice when i ran out early once! Once!

I got a legit referral for pain managment , my dr reffered me to get help for chronic pain. (In virginia they r very skeptic of ppl and strict so i must have issues since he gave me one)He explained i might be on on opiates or injections, or have more surgeries. I will be in pain for the rest of my life, i will walk with a limp. I will probably numb i places. Look i go through my depression bout this situation, and the situation with court and im trying my best. Im asking as someone i n chronic pain what i can do. I just find it hard to believe that ppl with issues, and who have legit problems, and arnt dr shopping, no one can help me.

I see now why alot ppl just give up., i wont write anymore threads , but i do appreciate ur suggestion. And ill try my best at the moment bcs i dont want to be labeled a "drug seeker" . I know i got a tough road ahead, and i will get myself walking so i can walk down the aisle with my fiance.

So ppl who are where im at have no options, even though i got legit pain.

your option is to go to your pain management appointment that you already scheduled, and get evaluated.

If you have a chronic painful injury that can be documented, you will be put on pain management. That is how they make a living.

In the meantime you will have some withdrawal and pain. It sucks, but it sounds like you have burned bridges with your primary care doctor already.

You are not a victim. You are capable of overcoming this adversity. Good luck.

Listen, man. I think you keep missing the point. If you've been on opiates for ten months you ARE addicted. This doesn't mean you're a dirt bag loser who abused his meds. It means that your body has reacted in response to a stimuli (opiates) and over time you developed a physical dependency. I believe you're in pain. I believe you want help. I also don't believe there is anything that anyone that ISN'T your doctor can do for you. Good luck. I really hope this works out for you.

Hey there...listen I never read the thread about you running out of your meds just the other ones so I will not judge you based on prior posts, you sound more reasonable on this one so let me respond sincerely.

It sucks. I have been somewhat where you are. I had been on pain management for years and then moved to a new state. It took quite awhile to set up an appt with a new primary care physician (to get new pain mgnt referral)then awhile longer to find pain mgmnt doc who would go thru records and "approve" me as a patient, even longer to wait for new patient appt and then they still wouldn't prescribe narcotics on first appt. When he finbally did start meds it was only about a fifth of the dose and amount I had been taking before..even with all my records and history there for him to see.

In the meantime while waiting I only had a months worth of meds to last me severalmonths of waiting...plus besides my regular pain, the stress added to it, plus trying to move and all that entails and 4 kids (2 almost grown, 2 lil ones). It was a mess but there is nothing that can be done in these situations. If you become desperate (which u will as most people would) then you will screw up your chances of long term pain magmnt. Going through withdrawals didn't seem to be an option with all that was going on plus thethought of just enduring the pain while trying to accomplish everything seemed more than I could bear.

I went to the ER a few times and a few walkin clinics but did have some trouble with that (as far as being labeled). I finally was lucky enough to find a doc at a walk in clinic who felt sorry for me and helped me out a little. The truth is though most are not going to prescribe chronic pain meds. (She only prescribed me 30 days worth, 2 pills a day...enough I only took when absolutely had to accomplish something and to help me wean down a lil...but I still went through horrible withdrawals, I had been on higher doses of oxycontin for years, she gave me 60 lortab 7.5s).

My point is thousands of people go through horrible scenarios while trying to deal with pain management issues and narcotic medications. And it is only going to get worse with current public policy. I have no real advice for you because there is no good answer but you are not alone. Your best bet is to probably wean off, make the best of it and be patient...as this is the way it is now with all the scrutiny of narcotics. I know that doesn't make you feel better but there is NO GOOD ANSWER. Even if you do eventually find the doc that will prescibe, plan on jumping through all kinds of hoops to get meds and eventually get enough to somewhat control your pain. My pain mgmnt said if they control only 50% of your pain then that is considered successful. And it will always loom over your head that someday, something out of your control may happen and you will end up screwed. Don't get too used to those meds because with all the new laws coming out and the fact that many docs are going into other fields due to it, they retire, decide they can't prescribe narcotics any longer, etc, etc you are likely to find yourself out of luck in the future. Also just note, as a nurse for a long time I can tell you that most pain magmnt docs do not believe in long term pain meds. They make no money off of medication management and make tons of money off of injections and other procedures along with the fact that they don't have to worry about getting busted.

Edit* I just wanted to add this is why I became a pain management advocate. PM and I will explain. It may never make a difference but all I can do is try. This is why it is important to educate yourself and be a voice. It is unfair. Thousands of people are suffering. It sounds lame and I never gave a shit about politics before in my life...til now.

Last edited:
ssjthor...
bro i fell exacty were you are coming from..i was paralyzed in car accident in 1995..metal in my back multiple surgeries etc i moved to flori-da..and got MRSA in my hip well i told the dr something was wrong my hip was hurting more than normal..more medication. then 1 1/2 yrs ltr an abscess blew out..well got no leg now cut up to well as high as poss.. after that my hip is shorter on the right so i lean, which made everything crooked L4-5 are to the left spine is fucked..and the drs know this and they all say your gonna p
be on meds for the rest of your life..i was on oxycodone 90mg every 4hrs, Xanax 2mg 3-4 daily,duragic patch 150mmg so much shit that i realized to a lot(i live alone i i do everything)
i cold turkeyed after slowing down on the oxy..i went over a month, then it was toooo unbearable..
all im saying is i have 20 yrs of documentation and i have probs getting medication cause of fl. prob with pill mills/ and ppl dr shopping...
keep your head up i know is hard...i have a pain mgmt appt tues so im crossing my fingers cause i ran out of meds 2 wks ago and my primary gave me Vicodin,and xanax..lol as if thats gonna work but???
i can say this whatever you take you will get a tolerance and what i do is monitor myself

ssjthor...
bro i fell exacty were you are coming from..i was paralyzed in car accident in 1995..metal in my back multiple surgeries etc i moved to flori-da..and got MRSA in my hip well i told the dr something was wrong my hip was hurting more than normal..more medication. then 1 1/2 yrs ltr an abscess blew out..well got no leg now cut up to well as high as poss.. after that my hip is shorter on the right so i lean, which made everything crooked L4-5 are to the left spine is fucked..and the drs know this and they all say your gonna p
be on meds for the rest of your life..i was on oxycodone 90mg every 4hrs, Xanax 2mg 3-4 daily,duragic patch 150mmg so much shit that i realized to a lot(i live alone i i do everything)
i cold turkeyed after slowing down on the oxy..i went over a month, then it was toooo unbearable..
all im saying is i have 20 yrs of documentation and i have probs getting medication cause of fl. prob with pill mills/ and ppl dr shopping...
keep your head up i know is hard...i have a pain mgmt appt tues so im crossing my fingers cause i ran out of meds 2 wks ago and my primary gave me Vicodin,and xanax..lol as if thats gonna work but???
i can say this whatever you take you will get a tolerance and what i do is monitor myself

Sounds like you have only one or two options.

Withdraw, go to your appointment and hopefully get accepted at which point you can soon start pain management.

Buy pills on the street to keep you ticking over till your appointment. But you will likely have to withdraw then if you don't get accepted or

Keep buying pills on the street, eventually end up on the best pain medication there is- heroin as its cheaper and more available. (I wouldn't choose this option)

Even if you do get accepted by the clinic you probably will go through WDs in the future. As already said the clinic won't want to keep you on forever and may cut you off after years on a higher dose than what you are on now. Also laws regarding these things are just going to get tougher.

It sucks I know. But WDs aren't the end of the world. You can survive them. I would withdraw and go to your appointment.

Hope for the best. Good luck.

Don't use loperamide unless you absolutely can't handle the diarrhea. Lope withdrawal is much much worse than oxycodone withdrawal. I'd say right now you're in a great position to just taper and be done with it, keep your tolly low for when you do get accepted to PM. I wish I'd tapered and jumped when I had a small habit. At this point, it's so fucking hard.

ssjthor...

dam dude, keep your head up.

Okay bro thanl you,'simce this accident ive been going through the hardest time in my life. Ive been homeless b4,in jail,on probation,have heart problems but god this is hard. Since the accident i appericiate little things alot more. My panic attacks have come back, and i had to get back on xanax. Im terrified of cars, and i have night terrors, ive had such a bad panic attack couple months ago i went afib.

B4 the aciident i was about to go to college, i had $18000 . But when i got hit, it has been dwindling away, ive been talking to lawyers but its hard bcs he says it was green i said it was red. The guy who hit me is my neighbor, couple houses down. Told my moms bf he couldnt see me, cuz the truck in the left lane covered his view(the turck that stopped at the red light)

Update, the pain management drs office has gotten my papers and r reviewing it. This can take up to two weeks. They wanted an mri but i never got one done cuz my dr said(its useless bcs we know whats wrong, u got hot by a car., if i cant fix it surgery no point) but i do have xrays,drs notes,and referrals. Got physical therapy on the 28th . I went to the pedotrist yesterday, and got my ingrown toe nail taken care of. Omg it hurts too.'on the same healed broken leg.

I told my dr.s receptionist what has happened, and ask what im suppose to do? Im going to run out of my meds soon, and pain management hasnt accepted me yet! I dont have a primary dr, i got physical therapy coming soon, how am i suppose to go through this. She assured me and promised me the dr will write me one more script. I told her that he said he wouldnt, i told her everything, but she said ignore that, he will or we will overide it call monday. Can they do this? Why would she promise me unless he will.'(instead of saying, sorry u might not get anything)

My pedortist gave me tramdol, how much 50mg tramadol can i take? Im putting it to the side for when i run out. Someone told me if i have to, go to urgent care with my bottle ,paper work,referral, and explain and they will give me a couple days worth, and ask for a referral for a primary xare doctor.
I will get better soon so i will walk dowm the aisle with my fiance.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, take more than 400mg a day of tramadol. It has an uncanny knack for lowering the seizure thresh hold, even at low doses, but doses of 400mg or more are more likely to cause seizure, from what I've read. It's a weird synthetic opioid. If you're a "good" metabolizer, it could work well for your pain, but it comes with a whole other set of problems/ withdrawal.

Holy Shit, wtf ive had seizures , more than 20 in my life! Omg. There 50mg tramdols! Should i call the dr who prescribed this and let her know im seizure prone? Im not on my neurotin any more! But i am on lamacital, a bipolar/seuizure medication. Will that help prevent seizures?

Yes, lamictal helps prevent seizures. That's what it was first prescribed for actually.

I'm so sorry for your pain problems. I, too, have suffered from chronic pain due to an illness that I developed in my late teens.

Even though I look very "respectable" I still got "labeled" by a few opiophobic docs for being young and needing opiates.

For years, I suffered through HELL under the care of a neuro. I tried dozens of non-opiate treatments, to no avail. Eventually my neuro precribed meager doses of opiates, but that barely touched my pain. Even though my docs knew my pain was real, for whatever reason they did not want to refer me to a pain doctor.

I can relate to your problem with your doc's receptionist. Even though I'd been a patient of my neuro for 15 years, my neuro's nurse suddenly developed an "attitude" about my meager opiate use. My own neuro was on vacation, and the neuro who was covering for him wanted to cut off my pain meds, even though he'd never even met me. When I asked the nurse, "What am I supposed to do about the pain?" she had no sympathy, despite the fact that she'd known me for 10 years and was familiar with my severe chronic pain condition. Unless people have experienced chronic pain first-hand, they can be very clueless and insensitive. I later learned that the nurse knew NOTHING about pain management.

I finally got in to see a pain doc, and my life improved a thousand-fold. I guess I got lucky: My neuro faxed over my records right away and I was able to see the pain doc within a week of calling him. I even got meds on my first visit, probably because my pain doc and neuro knew each other. Also, I had TONS of documentation in my medical records.

Good luck with your visit to the pain doc. I hope you find a caring and empathetic doctor who will give you a "second chance". I didn't read your post about your legal problems, but I do understand about being extremely desperate for pain meds due to chronic pain. If I hadn't gotten in to see the pain doc, I don't know what I would have done.

I agree that you should withdraw from the Percocet prior to seeing the pain doc, because they will test you. Also, avoid illegal drugs, because they will test you for that, too. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.