• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Pot activists claim Jesus was a stoner

BA

Bluelight Crew
Was Jesus a spiritual, cannabis-using stoner that doused his disciples in a potent, marijuana-laced oil? That's the claim made in an American cannabis magazine article that suggests Jesus Christ and his apostles used marijuana and promoted its usage for medicinal purposes and to carry out miraculous healings.
The article, "Was Jesus a stoner?" was written by B.C. marijuana activist, author and director of the Pot-TV Network, Chris Bennett. It was based on a 13-year study of ancient scripture texts. He claims the holy anointing oil, used in the early days of the Christian church and absorbed into the body when placed on the skin, contained between four and six kilograms of kaneh-bosem, a substance identified as cannabis extracted into olive oil and herbs.
"The ancient anointed ones were literally drenched in this potent mixture," Bennett, 40, said in his article, published in the February issue of High Times.
He said Jesus and the 12 disciples used this holy oil to cure and heal their followers of such ailments as epilepsy, menstrual and eye problems and skin diseases. The curing of cripples can also be attributed to the cannabis-laced holy oil.
He quotes the Book of Mark 6:13 in support of his claim.
"And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them."
Bennett's claim about Old Testament cannabis use is supported in his article by Carl Ruck, a Boston University professor in classical mythology who has spent three decades researching the history of drugs in religion.
"There can be little doubt about a role for cannabis in Judaic religion," he said. "There is no way that so important a plant as a fibre source for textiles and nutritive oils and one so easy to grow would have gone unnoticed.
"Obviously, the early availability and long-established tradition of cannabis in early Judaism... would have inevitably included it in the (Christian) measures."
Bennett said his claims are also supported by archeological evidence. He refers specifically to finds by Joe Zias, an anthropologist in Israel who uncovered the skeleton of a 14-year-old girl who died in child birth. A blackish-brown substance found on her stomach was determined to be a hashish mixture used for healing. He also cited ancient pots discovered throughout Israel and the Middle East that had opium and cannabis residue in them.
Greg Bloomquist, a theology professor at Saint Paul University in Ottawa, is familiar with Bennett's claims, but dismisses them.
"This is not scholarly work. This is purely speculation with an ideological agenda," he said in an interview. "His arguments are based on the isolated theories of a few people and he brings them together in order to make a point that he wants to make."
Author: Jennifer Morrison - The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Jan. 8, 2003
News Link

Awesome. I don't believe in Jesus, but if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.
Funny that the "healings" were attributed to marijuana oil and not a sort of miracle - this could shed some interesting light on the story.

There are similar claims made based on sources other than those cited in Bennett's article in "Marijuana and the Bible," an official document from the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church. It's actually an incredibly interesting book...although it's more a collection of references and quotes than it is a hard study.

Originally posted by BlueAdonis:
[QB]
"The ancient anointed ones were literally drenched in this potent mixture," [QB]
I presume the present legal position of cannabis, especially in the US, is the work of thr devil himself then, yeah?

HOw is THC absorbed thru the skin?
"And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them."
How can someone believe that Jesus used marijuana oil based on that one sentence?
Chris Bennett is a biased pro-marijuana nutcase and his claim is completely unfounded. It's beyond obvious this is just his way of trying influence people with anti-marijuana sentiments.
It wouldn't suprise me if half this guy's "research" was based on knowledge of the ancient world he ascertained watching programs on The Discovery Channel.

I believe terence mckenna states that jesus christ means mushroom in arab.
And, by the way, if you connect the left and right hand of jesus on the cross to the top of the cross, you can see a mushroom if you have enough imagination :)

whats more belivable? jesus was the 'son of god' and resurrected three days after he died and he walked on water, etc
or he used cannabis oil to heal people?
oh its gotta be the majical stuff right? lol
"This is not scholarly work. This is purely speculation with an ideological agenda," he said in an interview. "His arguments are based on the isolated theories of a few people and he brings them together in order to make a point that he wants to make."
i think he is talking about the bible there

A very skilled con artist could probably convince many people of anything if they were saturated in marijuana oil.

Originally posted by Love In Vein:

Chris Bennett is a biased pro-marijuana nutcase and his claim is completely unfounded. It's beyond obvious this is just his way of trying influence people with anti-marijuana sentiments.

obviously you have a strong case for the contrary. let's hear it? or is just easier to write people off with big words and hope nobody notices that you didn't provide any reason as to why we should believe you rather than him?

Used as a sample in a famous cypress-hill song...
"Genesis 1:12 - I have given you all the plant bearing seeds and herbs to use."

jesus, it could be any fuckin oil, gimme a break. where the fuck did he get pot from? Nowhere does anything say anything regarding pot.

wouldnt surprise me, but id be even more inclined to believe that the disciples used ergot and psylocibin to recieve the holy spirit than to believe jesus drenched his followers with reefa'.

Let me get this straight: THC can be active in an oil-based medium and is absorbed through the skin? If I am not mistaken, that is not chemically viable.
This entire theory is based on one line of scripture, which in no way implies the use of cannabis. That is neither scientific nor convincing. There are so many types of oil that would have been more readily available than cannabis oil, why should anyone make the enormous assumption that it was cannabis-based? I'll tell you why: because the God-hating drug-users out there will do anything in their power to discredit the Messiah. They will not believe that a man could do miracles because he was imbued with the spirit of God, so they have tried, even though lacking any evidence, to reassign the credit of miracle-working from the Son of God to a plant. That, my friends, is a huge mistake.
Please do not honor this ridiculous theory with any respect, for it deserves none.

^^
Don't mean to feed the troll here, but which scenario more plausible? That Jesus is actually the son of "God" and performed healing "miracles" that defy logic? Or the more logical explanation that he used a plant product that has known theraputic use for even thousands of years before his time. Both the claims made by the Bible and this study are rather specious, but I'm more inclined to believe the simpler explanation.
Maybe Love in Vein can shed more light on this, given he apparently has a PhD in anthropology/archaeology and theology.
As a side note it is possible for THC to be absorbed transdermally in an oil based admixture.
[ 13 January 2003: Message edited by: DarkDante ]

Really either is possible as we have no proof that he healed anyone or that these people even existed.. If they weren't miracles, then it would disprove the whole bible in the first place.. I dont suppose his hash oil also turned water into wine, or brought people back from the dead....?
However, cannibis was used very commonly as medicine and incense back then. However, sometimes i think people on this board always argue in favor of drug articles and never are really open minded to the other side of the argument...
Likewise, those who oppose should be open minded too.

Originally posted by BlueAdonis:
It was based on a 13-year study of ancient scripture texts. He claims the holy anointing oil, used in the early days of the Christian church and absorbed into the body when placed on the skin, contained between four and six kilograms of kaneh-bosem, a substance identified as cannabis extracted into olive oil and herbs.

i've read other articles (can't remember exactly where at the moment - try google or something) which provides more evidence about this Kaneh-Bosem substance (say it out-loud it even sounds like cannabis). Apparently it was widely used around 0 AD and there are many scriptures which list its ingredients, one of which is good old mary jane.
Can someone else track down a link to a more credible article than High Times? I dont have the desire or motivation...