Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Pot Brownies - A Nightmare Trip and Hospital Visit

EC82

Greenlighter
Yesterday, I received a medical marijuana card in California. I've used pot before, but in very small quantities and usually it only made me sleepy, which is why it seemed like a good idea to get a medical card to help relieve insomnia. I went to a licensed dispensary and purchased edibles, as I am also in the process of quitting smoking (10 days so far) and didn't want to smoke weed.

Around 11:30 p.m., I ate 1/2 of the pot brownie. The guy at the dispensary said his customers have told him that about a half makes them very relaxed and gives them a satisfying sleep for 7-8 hours, which sounded perfect.

I ate the three bites, sat down and did some writing, watched TV and then finally decided I was tired enough to go to bed. My partner (SO) was already in bed and said he was going to read in the armchair next to the bed. I lay down and remember feeling that there was a pleasant warm sensation throughout my body, especially in my feet and hands, and that I had better stay in the bed because if I were to stand up I would be dizzy. Shortly thereafter, I began opening my eyes and feeling them roll around in my head. I was on the other side of the bed from my partner, turned away from him, so he was unaware anything was wrong.

My eyes started moving around the room, but I was still able to reassure myself that I knew where I was, and would be fine. But then I started feeling VERY warm, so I got up to turn off the space heater, and my partner said, "Are you all right?" At that point, I started shaking, saying I didn't know if I was all right.

One of the primary things going through my head at that point was that the PHYSICAL THINGS in the room (the furniture, the floor, the dogs, the walls, the lights) all had a VERBAL side to them. They weren't speaking, but they were all WORDS ... not the words of the objects, but random words, all of which were suddenly running through my mind. Every word I could think of was in my mind, they were practically being lobbed at me, and it was overwhelming. But then ... the room started swirling and I said "Call 911" to my partner. He said I was worrying him (he uses weed, but has never had an experience like this or been around someone who's tripping -- nor had I), and I said I knew I was but he needed to call 911. The thought scared him, and he said he was sure I was just having a reaction the pot.

At that point, things started going really awry for me. I became "unstuck in time." I was entirely unable to comprehend where I was and kept asking him, "Am I here?" It was like there was a tiny bit of ME left inside of me, but it was getting completely suffocated by everything -- by the universe, by the colors, by the noise, by the light.

I tried to speak, but only random words came to my mind, all simultaneously. In my head, I was moving all throughout my life -- at the same time, I was getting relentless images of childhood, of my career, of my personal life, of people I had loved and had sex with, of things I had done and sights I had seen. I was SURE I was communicating all of this to my partner, but through sentences like, "Dolphin giraffe queen soldier shadows cucumber matchbook tennis movie heart attack" that made sense to me but I knew I was saying words that weren't communicating anything and that started scaring me -- that I was making no sense and KNEW I was making no sense even though I needed to and wanted to. My partner sat with me and I started screaming at him "Call 911" but he said I was barely making any noises.

Then, everything exploded. I heard all of the noises of all of the universe coming at me, every noise you can imagine, and when I opened my eyes everything was no longer made up of WORDS but of MOVEMENT, of energy. It wasn't the "walls are melting" syndrome, it was that everything in the room was made up of EVERYTHING and I was made up of everything and everything was connected and therefore it was infinite, there could be no beginning or end because when it ends it begins again and always goes this way, which for a moment was reassuring and I could see the infinite universe in my mind, I could travel wherever I needed to go, I was flying through space and seeing stars and galaxies and nebulae.

And then that infinite vastness made me fearful that I was now this way forever, because forever is always ... and always is now ... and that meant that I had F***ED myself up entirely, and that I would never, ever get better, that this incoherent, confused, babbling, helpless state was permanent. And I told my partner this, that he was going to have to deal with this forever, and I was afraid he had called my parents (we're in our 40s), and that EVERYONE I knew, personally and professionally, knew what had happened to me, because many years had passed by now, and my partner was an old man and had stayed with me this whole time and had become alienated from all of his friends because of me and the mistake I made, and that made me even more scared than ever.

I kept insisting over and over that he call 911, and finally he did. (We've realized now that he COULD have just driven me to the hospital, but neither one of us thought about that -- he was just a little panicked.) I was fading in and out of consciousness from what I could tell, and the room was suddenly filled with paramedics. He had done it! I felt a certain amount of relief, but then fear that we had made another big mistake because all the neighbors would know.

At any rate, I went to the hospital emergency room, where they asked many, many times to both me and my partner if I had done ANYTHING else, which I hadn't -- I don't even drink alcohol. At that point, my heart rate was about 140 and they had done blood tests, which showed normal levels on everything. But I was still babbling incoherently, and at one point I told my partner that I saw in him EVERYONE I had ever known, he was the culmination of everyone I had been with, and though we were having problems, he was the one I wanted to stay with forever, because he is so perfect ... so, there was definitely an element of "love" to the feeling, but it was a paranoid love, a guilty one, an intensely SHAMEFUL one, worried he would leave me and he has seen me for what I am. So I started SHOUTING how much I loved him, which made the doctors come and try to bring me down, using IV valium, but it did not have an effect. After about an hour, they said that I seemed to be having a psychotic episode, so they tried a small amount of Haldol, which finally seemed to help bring me back.

I was finally able to go home around 6 a.m. -- the incident had started around 12:30 a.m. When I got home, I woke up around 10 a.m., and saw the Band-Aid from the IV, at which point I knew that it had actually happened. My partner gave me more detail -- that we had argued about calling 911, that the paramedics did come. I was able to describe a lot to him, but to me it felt like it had all been a dream.

The absolute, intense FEAR that my altered state would never change, that I had entered a permanently different place, was the worst experience I have ever had. I cannot describe the abject terror of that feeling. It undermined ANY positive aspects -- and the awareness of the interconnectedness of the universe was, in retrospect, nice ... but it was terrifying, too, because I felt all of the bad mistakes I made in my life were now coming to bear. There was a feeling of being trapped, of being paralyzed, that was overwhelming.

Fortunately, I did no damage, except to our wallets (who knows how much that ambulance ride will cost!).

The ER doctor said that they get at least one pot-related patient every single night, sometimes many more ... so I can tell you this: Based on what I know, pot is NOT innocent. I have not turned into an anti-pot person, but I know it is not something to mess around with lightly.

BE CAREFUL. Know what you are getting into. You may feel foolish, but ask questions about the purity and source of what you're getting, and find someone reliable who can tell you if they have used what you are going to take. And make sure that anyone you're with knows that THIS IS POSSIBLE.

I would not ever want to repeat what happened to me last night!

Very detailed trip report nice, I've experienced a few minor trip outs like this when i smoked too much on 420 for example, but nothing to this extreme. It sounds like you're not a heavy marijuana user and I think you should have told the person at the dispensary what your tolerance was and how often you smoked, The medical dispensaries have basically nothing but the highest grade so he shouldn't have recommended such a high dose, especially since it sounds like you haven't had edibles before and it's a lot different then smoking, especially at higher doses.

What this sounds like to me is you tripped out, got really paranoid and went to the hospital, your heart rate was due to your confusion, not understanding why you were feeling that way, and the visuals you were seeing were just part of the high, One time after smoking a blunt things looked almost like a cartoon to me, it was pretty much my imagination working overtime to project something I thought I was seeing, which happened to you. That's the thing about weed if you can't control your thoughts it won't be a good time. I convinced myself my mom wanted to kill me one time because she asked if I wanted to go for a drive with her, i kept picturing her driving over a cliff so I hid in my room the whole night scared to let her see me. It's just what can happen when you over do it.

Weed is harmless, if you're gonna overdo it, well it's gonna fuck with your head a little, instead of taking your life due to an OD.
I know it was probably very real and scary to you, but I'd bet if you just tried to calm yourself with help from your SO, and accept the high rather then questioning what was happening to you and especially going to the hospital that just makes it so much more real, when you're already scared and then you're getting rushed to the hospital in an ambulance you're just going to drive yourself nuts with paranoid intrusive thoughts that aren't true at all., it would have went away alot faster and been a little more bearable if you tried to roll with it I promise you that. Just think, it's litterly impossible to overdose on weed, the worst that could happen is I throw up and burn out.

Im sorry if it seems like im taking away from an obviously scary situation you went through, but it's litterly a part of smoking weed, paranoia, especially with over consumption.

Again the Receptionist should have knew your using habits and tolerance.

I agree with tabs and caps. You have to keep in mind that ingesting cannabis is totally different then smoking it. When processed through your liver, delta-9-tetrahydracannabinol is metabolized into 11-hydroxy-tetrahydracannabinol which basically means that the chemical structure of the THC has changed. This new chemical usually has a much stronger effect than it would have had if it had not passed through your liver. With your tolerance, one bowl of good kush should knock you out for the night without immense feelings of paranoia.

I really do hope you give weed another chance as a sleep aid, it can work wonders (harmlessly at that, if you know what your doing).

I agree with tabs and caps. You have to keep in mind that ingesting cannabis is totally different then smoking it. When processed through your liver, delta-9-tetrahydracannabinol is metabolized into 11-hydroxy-tetrahydracannabinol which basically means that the chemical structure of the THC has changed. This new chemical usually has a much stronger effect than it would have had if it had not passed through your liver. With your tolerance, one bowl of good kush should knock you out for the night without immense feelings of paranoia.

I really do hope you give weed another chance as a sleep aid, it can work wonders (harmlessly at that, if you know what your doing).

Very well said!

Nothing is harmless though, tabsandcabs. (see: this experience) It would be better to say that weed isn't very harmless.

As a sleeping aid, even a really light dose would help you. I'm a heavy smoker, and after smoking even a little (that buzzed feeling that you wouldn't really call 'stoned') I can sleep fine, and my insomnia is pretty heavy. Hashish is perfect for this.

Nothing is harmless though, tabsandcabs. (see: this experience) It would be better to say that weed isn't very harmless.

I agree that this story is definitely crazy, and the mindfuck is hard to control, but that was basically the equivalent of overdosing. He took way too large of a dose using a method he was not familiar with, that can hit you way harder. He did not need to go to the hospital if he had of stayed home it would have been fine, most of the fear and things you remember about this trip were brought on by yourself in all reality by scaring yourself thinking you needed to go to the hospital in the first place. How can you try to relax and come to terms with the high if you're convincing yourself something is wrong and you need to go to the hospital or you may die or whatever it is you thought, when you should be telling yourself, Ok im high as fuck, atleast it's weed and i'm not gonna overdose, cuddle up with your SO or whatever, and try to ride it out. All the extra drama and everything else you experienced was in your head my friend.

What I meant and still do mean by harmless is. well when he said the doctor says he gets a weed related patient every day, well sure, there was a story on the news about a police officer who ate pot brownies, then called 911 and told dispatch he was dying from eating pot brownies, when he was just sketching himself out, again never had brownies before and ate too much, thats what weed can do to you!!

Imagine if it was basically any other drug, and you over consumed this much with little to no tolerance, You'd be lucky if you were alive. Sure this was a bad trip for sure, but overall it was harmless. The only thing permanent about it is a reminder not too over indulge, which may actually be a good thing lol.

Last edited:
Lesson learned: weed is a strong psych to those who are not tolerant, especially when taken orally

Also, if your heart is in good condition, you have nothing to worry about. Weed induced panic attacks are nasty (so I hear) but you won't die, no matter how much it feels like you will

this was a great trip report. i had an awful experience trying weed for the first time as well. I think weed like alcohol often seems pretty harmless because most users have used it regularly and have a strong tolerance to it.

OP, you could also have a slow metabolism when it comes to pot and you should be doing much less than the recommended dose. I know people who, after one or two tokes, are sky high and they don't feel normal again for many hours later; whereas my best friend needs a whole joint to really feel satisfied, and her high disappears quickly.

Also, as another anecdote, I don't really understand HOW people use pot for sleeping. No matter if it's indica or sativa, it stimulates my mind and I'm awake all night. If I smoke after 9pm I can forget about going to bed at a humanly reasonable hour. Other people smoke and all it does is give them the munchies and then make them sleepy.

Everyone's different.

in all honesty and im not being disrespectful, but what was the e.r. going to do? we have all been there in our life. me and my group of friends call it a bad high. mind and setting. marijuana is powerful and personally im not into eating it ( i dont have any health problems so smoking is ok for me ). personally for you in the future a tincture maybe better as it kicks in quicker so you could titrate your dose better. also was it a sativa? a true 100% sativa is alot for some people to handle, me i like indicas (ogkushintonftw) with a good thc:cbd ratio. i think the best thing that can help people are boards like this, and dont be embarrassed; now you know when you feel anxious you do have the mind power to control it...once you get a tolerance you will miss when you could get that high...

this has happened to 100% of marijuana smokers, and if they say it hasnt they are lying. dont look at it as a negative, accidents happen and lucky for you thc isnt highly toxic...a good lesson learned

Hi Everyone -- First, thanks for all of the comments, both positive and negative.

This experience has NOT turned me against weed, however ... at my age (in my 40s), with the number of pothead friends I have, I thought I was very, very safe in my belief that weed had no real negative effects and was not harmful. I've revised that belief after this first-hand experience, and I would say that it is like any "adult" substance.

I am a pretty intelligent person. While I don't have a "public" persona, I am involved in the entertainment industry and see quite a lot. I consider myself both open and well-informed. But until Friday night, I never knew that what I experienced was possible with weed.

At first, I was under the impression it MUST have been laced with something, but after more research, I see I am not alone in this experience.

I don't think it's helpful or meaningful for anyone to dismiss what I went through or what happened to the police officer who called 911 and said he was dying. The doctor was pretty straightforward: Five or 10 years ago, he NEVER saw weed cases, now he sees them nightly. Could this be because more people are trying it given the quasi-legality in California? Maybe. But clearly the strains have gotten stronger.

I don't particularly condone recreational use, but it doesn't upset me, either -- personally, I'd prefer it done in privacy, not out in the open. But based on what I've experienced, if I HAD decided to, say, eat that pot brownie and then go see a movie, there would have been a major incident in the movie theater, no doubt. So, suddenly, my eyes opened to why these things happen and how people react.

Both my SO and I are pretty smart guys, and while he KNEW inherently what was happening, my insistence that he call 911 and that something was very wrong with me (permanently) was pretty convincing. No matter what YOU think YOU know about weed or any other drug ... as so many people have said here, everyone's difference. I believe he did the right thing by finally giving in and calling 911 -- when ANYONE tells you they think they need emergency assistance, you are doing them a major disservice by saying, "You don't really need it." Let the paramedics decide. In my case, I've learned even they were surprised by my reaction. They could not get me to respond, and in the view of paramedics, when someone can't answer if you say, "What's your name?" there MAY be a serious brain injury.

Someone asked what the emergency room could possibly do? Well, in my case they injected me with valium, which still didn't help, and finally gave me a low dose of an anti-psychotic, which did. The emergency room helped me a LOT.

Look, don't get me wrong, I am not at ALL suggesting to ANYONE that I think weed is bad or that what they are doing is bad. But I've read some comments here that I should have just let the trip happen ... but in my case, I'd say the danger was greater than doing something about it.

OK, all that said ... thank you for the comments about edibles vs. smoking. I genuinely had no idea that edibles were THAT much stronger. My SO and I have shared some cookies, and a half a cookie has given me a very good, sleepy feel. Weed, I've learned, has a different effect on different people, so in my case, I do know that in my PREVIOUS history a bit of weed has made me nice and sleepy and that has been a majorly positive influence on my longterm insomnia.

Because I'm trying to give up smoking, I really don't want to smoke again. But now I'm pretty afraid to try the edibles. So I'm not sure what to do, exactly.

There WERE some mildly positive things. I remember the experience well, including the feelings of love and connectedness. Those were very, very positive outcomes for me. I know that if it ever happens again, the "tiny me" that's trapped inside may be able to keep it in his head that this is a trip. But, I'll tell you this -- for those who may not ever have experienced it, the sensation that this will NEVER change, that this is now permanent and for all time -- well, that is a scary enough sensation, and a REAL enough sensation, that it's not one I want to have happen again!

Anyway, again, thank you to everyone.

this has happened to 100% of marijuana smokers, and if they say it hasnt they are lying. dont look at it as a negative, accidents happen and lucky for you thc isnt highly toxic...a good lesson learned

No... I haven't ended up in the ER for major anxiety from a pot brownie.

No we're not trying to take from your experience or undermine it. It's just there was no serious risk of permanent injury. The feeling that it will never end is exactly that; a feeling. And yes I do know the feeling. Once I thought I was having a stroke because my arm went numb, i had the phone in my hand ready to call 911 but i waited about 20 minutes and it went away, I was just laying on it... Another time as I said my mom asked me to go with her for a drive and I thought she planned on killing me and hid in my room the whole night, another time while high at school my teacher was looking at me and then went and sat at his desk, i thought he had something like a panic button under his desk that alerted the on site police officer and was sure he had pushed it. I didn't stop sweating or looking at the door the whole class. These were all when I was pretty new to smoking weed and had smoked more that I should have. It's all about setting, your mentality, and how much you consume, the high always goes away and won't do any damage.

As for them giving you those drugs that was probably because you were over reacting and wouldn't calm down, (and they really injected valium into you, that's hard to believe as it's prescription and must be soaked through 100 percent alcohol or it would burn your veins like fucking crazy) they wouldn't put you into detox or anything like that so they tried to calm you down. We all have bad trips, but i've never heard of anyone going to the ER because of marijuana. The worst i've seen is a friend throw up then fall asleep for a few hours.

No... I haven't ended up in the ER for major anxiety from a pot brownie.

He means the anxiety, you didn't go to the ER because you probably knew what to expect.

Hello. I just posted a trip report that has some similarities with yours. The feeling that the badtrip is never going to end, I know it well.

I think the real issue here is the OP being diagnosed and medicated incorrectly by someone who is not a medical officer. That is the problem with Medical weed cards being handed out for anything and everything, it gives the "patient" a false sense of security that cannabis is a cure all to all problems with no side effects. Now I'm not saying the a pharmaceutical solution to her insomnia would be better but at least when you are prescribed a regulated medication it is dose controlled and often dependent on the patients sex and weight. Its no surprise that you will have bad reactions when advise is dished out by a glorified retail stoner with little consideration to individual cases.

It sounds like you had a sort of ego loss type experience, which is pretty rare from weed but it isn't really abnormal just that you must have gotten a really powerful dose with no tolerance. Weed cannot make you overdose, it can in the sense that you can bug out due to not being ready for it but nobody has ever died from weed. If one is not ready for it, these sorts of experiences can definitely be very scary but there is never a need to go to the hospital when it comes to marijuana.

There WERE some mildly positive things. I remember the experience well, including the feelings of love and connectedness. Those were very, very positive outcomes for me. I know that if it ever happens again, the "tiny me" that's trapped inside may be able to keep it in his head that this is a trip. But, I'll tell you this -- for those who may not ever have experienced it, the sensation that this will NEVER change, that this is now permanent and for all time -- well, that is a scary enough sensation, and a REAL enough sensation, that it's not one I want to have happen again!

Anyway, again, thank you to everyone.

That feeling of "this isn't going to end" is common on powerful psychedelic trips, including marijuana which can be quite psychedelic, especially at first. I've experienced it many times. It's terrifying isn't it? :) I've been really close to calling 911 on strong psychedelics (never been there on weed though I have definitely panicked), I have even considered killing myself before due to the belief that if I died physically before I finished my tripping deconstruction process I would escape utter soul annihilation. Despite that, these trips have been some of my most valuable and impactful trips.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that. It IS better to be safe than sorry, however I'm sure you would have been fine. Perhaps there would have been more trauma for you had you had to ride it all out rather than have it interrupted with an antipsychotic. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about your decision, because after all, you're fine now. :)

I feel as though the bottom line to this is that people need to DO THEIR RESEARCH before ingesting, smoking, IVing, or insufflating ANY mind altering substance. Just think about how many bad trips would be avoided! It is not so much the drug that is dangerous, but the naivety of the person using it. This is what harm reduction websites such as Bluelight are for.

I sympathize with you OP, I do. I hope this is the final time that you experience a trip such as this. Hopefully everyone's feedback on this post will help you work through any bad trips that you may or may not have in the future without a trip to the ER. This is a well written report, by the way.