• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone Strips: Smooth side up or Rough side up?

Jordie

Greenlighter
For the past few weeks I have been trying to figure out what is the most effect side to use on the buttom of my tounge is to get a better effect. I have been using subs for over a year now and I have figured out pretty much anything thing there is to know about them, including most effective ways to take them, when to take them at the best times and so on... My latest question is weather to use the side that has the N8 on it on the bottom of my tounge or if I should use the smooth side against the bottom of my tounge. I figure the rough side is the side with all the good stuff but I could be wrong. If I find anything about it I will update but if anyone has tried to figure this out or is willing to try there's to see let me know what you find out. So far I think that if I put the smooth side on the bottom of my tounge with the N8 facing down it will work better in soaking it all up.

Either way, it'll absorb just as effectively.

If you want to increase BA of sublingual use, add a small amount of ethanol underneath your tongue with your strip.

Ethanol huh? That will increase it? I figure that the exposure of one of the sides to our receptors under the tounge would give it a better BA. Why ethanol?

I have to say CH, I have read your post's for years and years through my opiate use and questions and even though we don't know each other, you have helped me a lot, through sick and thin.
Thanks for the great advise and harm reduction.

Some people think that the naloxone is in the white "N8" printing on the strip. However, I have researched that idea and have concluded that it is false. The two meds in the suboxone strip are mixed together so well that I do not believe that it matters how the strip is put under the tongue. Furthermore, if taken subligually, the naloxone does nothing. This is because naloxone molecules are too large to be absorbed through the mouth's mucus membranes and is subsequently either spit out or swallowed. When swallowed, the naloxone passes through the intestines and is then destroyed by the liver before it can reach the bloodstream. Hypothetically, even if the naloxone did reach a person's bloodstream, the bupreorphine would still beat it in a fight for an opioid receptor. Bupe has a high affinity for the receptors -much higher than that of naloxone......not to mention that 2 mg of naloxone is not enough to do anything anyway. Naloxone is just a scare tactic......it was added by Reckitt Benkiser to make suboxone look "abuse-proof" to doctors, the DEA and other pharmeceutical companies. Tons of people shoot up subs and experience absolutely no withdrawals. However, shooting subs is a waste as there is no rush and virtually no euphoria -at least not in an opioid-tolerant person.

PS- I have taken suboxone films both ways (N8 side up and N8 side down) and notice no difference. However, if you really wish to explore it, I have a suggestion for you: Do a blind study! Have someone dispense it to you a certain way every day for a week WITHOUT telling you whether the N8 is up or down. Then, have the person administer it the other way every day for a week -still without letting you know whether the N8 is up or down. After the two weeks, tell the person which weekly period was better for you...meanwhile, have the person reveal how they were administering the film to you during that time. This would be the most scientific way for you to decide which way works best for you!

The white on the N8 is titanium dioxide. Not naloxone. You are correct by saying it's not naloxone.

It doesn't matter, either side will absorb correctly as long as it's under your tongue correctly.

i put the rough side of the film under my tongue, making sure my mouth isnt dry so it dissolves fine, as far as naloxone, and "N8" thats just the imprint, a suboxone contains 8mg of buperenorphine, and 2mg of naloxone, binded and mixed all together, they say nalxoone is inactive anyways when taken sublingually, so it shouldnt affect anyone at all, it's generall the bupe that causes precip. withdral when taken too early after doing opiates. bupe has a higher affinity level than naloxone, however nalxoone is faster acting, meaning it reaches the brain before the bupe does, but when the bupe does the nalxoone really doe snothing negative to you, except block the bupe buzz if snorted or IVed, the nalxoone reaches the brain faster then the bupe, but when the bupe reaches the brain it clears out the nalxoone, since it hitd the brain faster, it prevents any buzz, if snorted or IVed, thats whhy when people IV or snort subutex, they get a rush/buzz very fast. sublingual shouldnt matter naloxone is inactive sublingul

I always liked to put the rough side facing up bc it seemed to "stick" better and not move around if/when I moved my tongue. With the rough side facing down it would always move towards the front of my mouth and I felt it wasn't absorbing as well bc it wasn't covering as much surface area. Just my 2 cents

You put the side with the writing against your tongue otherwise, the stip will wad up in the area under your tongue and be far less effective

Interesting, I never noticed there was any difference on the two sides of the strip... good info to know about it sticking better the way tricomb said thanks

dissolve the strip in water like your prepping it to IV like you would for H and then squirt the liquid up ur nose and u will get best BA (not including IV, i think its horrible to IV suboxone).. Plus intra-nasally suboxone pretty much seems to be almost equal to IV...

maybe i dont understand but, are you trying to get high from this? or what you want the Suboxone to be stronger? (its not getting you high enough), or trying to separate the blocker so it acts different? please tell me, for real, like i wanna know im not being trying to be condescending... cuz i have taken it for a year and after just a short period there are no effects except staying abstinent from opioids... so no matter the strength its not goin to create euphoria after regular use... i could be way off by assuming that u want to get a euphoria from it but if that is it, just use a real opiate or opioid (not a drug made to help addicts with cravings and physical need)

confused, why are would you be interested in geting stronger Suboxone, this concept doesnt make sence IMO- explanation please

Last edited:
if you're using it for maintanance and have a steady supply there is no need to do things that are going to "get more out of it"

that's more for if someone has a limited supply and wants to get the most out of the smallest ammmounts

maybe i dont understand but, are you trying to get high from this? or what you want the Suboxone to be stronger? (its not getting you high enough), or trying to separate the blocker so it acts different? please tell me, for real, like i wanna know im not being trying to be condescending... cuz i have taken it for a year and after just a short period there are no effects except staying abstinent from opioids... so no matter the strength its not goin to create euphoria after regular use... i could be way off by assuming that u want to get a euphoria from it but if that is it, just use a real opiate or opioid (not a drug made to help addicts with cravings and physical need)

confused, why are would you be interested in geting stronger Suboxone, this concept doesnt make sence IMO- explanation please

No I am just trying to get the most out of it. You see every drug has a BA, And each BA is different depending on which way you take it. Since Subs are supposed to be taken Sublingual and thats the best way to take them then I wanted to know if there is a way to get more out of taking them that way.

I also have been taking them for over a year now, (1 Year 4 Month Aprox.) and feel the same way, after this amount of time you just don't feel anything.

But after reading what Captain.H reffered me too I found that the alcohol way is a way effective way to take them, I actually am feeling a little euphoric from it.
See if you take the strips every singel day over and over after a year or so you are basically getting the same amount everytime, what ever the BA is, but with the
alcohol method it raises the BA which raises the level that I absorbed, so using the alcohol I absorb more than I ever would just taking them as directed.

And if I wanted to just use a regular opiate I would be a heroin addict again, thats not the point. The point is to get as much as I can out of what I have, I mean I pay for these bad boys,
and end up not even being able to absorb all of what I bought. So I am just trying to find out what he most effective way is to take these so I get the most out of my sub treatment.

So if taking them with the rough side down would help the Sub break down easier and absorb better then that would be why I was asking. Not to get high, just to get the best out of my dose. It's more about how to get them to break down better.

Thanks for that question cause that probably cleared up some confusion into why I asked. %)

Update: I also have found out that things like brushing your teeth and drinking a glass of water before taking your dose will help the absorbtion also.

Last edited:
ohh ok cool, i wasnt trying to sound like a jerk... hope i didnt come off that way. I have been through heroin addiction... i understand!

ohh ok cool, i wasnt trying to sound like a jerk... hope i didnt come off that way. I have been through heroin addiction... i understand!

Not at all, I think that was a very educated question with no offensive statements at all, thanks for clearing it up for others!

I think this is a great question! I've often wondered which is better for full absorption simply because, like you, I want to make sure I'm getting the full effect (they're expensive and I want to stay sober---keep cravings at bay)

I have been on sub tx for a long time now.....I'm embarrassed to say I started with the orange "stop sign" octagon pills in like 2009. I am mortified that I've been on it for so long but I'm just terrified to go through the withdrawals I suffered when getting clean from opioid addiction.

I hate how people in NA make me feel like I'm still an addict. I'm thankful for this forum and all your help!