• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Insomnia! *MEGA-thread*

PottedMeat

Bluelighter
I went to the Doc. the other day and he gives me a script for Ambien 10mg. Says take one before bed time. I took 20mgs over an Ninety minutes ago and I still cannot fall asleep. I don't know what to do? I'm 6'2 and weigh 225 lbs. Perfect blood pressure and I have not been using any illegal substances recently. Why won't these pills put me to sleep?

Is there an underlying cause of your insomnia? Do you suffer from any mental illnesses, depression, anxiety, etc? Are you on any medications? Hypnotics are generally only so strong; I've known depressed people who could not fall asleep on very high doses of these drugs. It's also possible you are just particularly resistant to Ambien.
If it continues to be unhelpful, you could go to your doctor; he may prescribe you a different tranquilizer (for example a benzodiazepine).

1 mg xanax for me knocks me right out when i wanna sleep :)
though i wake up not knowing if i slept or i just lay in bed and forgot about it :)
hee hee

Dj, xanax do not knock me out either. Ambien is supposed to be relatively strong, from what the doc said.

What other medications have you tried? And like zorn asked, do you suffer from any mental disorders?
How long have you had trouble sleeping?

PottedMeat, I've had a fucked sleeping pattern for yrs on and off, I've had GOOD results with melatonin, it's sort of expensive 18$AU(about 10$US) but r4eally it gave me the best sleep in yrs, and it's a natural sleep.
you'll prob only be able to get hold of a homeopathic forumaltion. Ex. If it says 3mg (x6) on the bottle, that means it contains really only .5mg per pill, take 12 (5mg).
But don't do it more than 1 day in a row unless you have to.
Anyway give it a try mate, hope it works for ya, like I said it has for me. I've gone to sleep at 10:30 and woke up at 6:30 for 3 days in a row, that's real big for me. :)
perseverence.
Edit: Lay in the dark right after you take them, or they won't be effective...you know it's working when your comfortable in any position, and you aren't moving your legs all over the place to get comfortable.
[ 16 December 2001: Message edited by: NiQu3LorD ]

You could try Elavil (amitriptyline) or Deseryl (trazodone) or Seroquel (quetiapine). They are all very effective at inducing sleep for most people.

IMO, Triazolam(Halcion) is the BEST for dealing with insomnia when needed. From my understanding, it's a short-term thing though(not to be used for more than 2-3 weeks continuously). The half-life is only ~1.5 hours. I get a decent nights sleep while having no trouble waking to an alarm even after only 4 or 5 hours.
One downside to chronic use is amnesia before falling asleep and can continue into the next day. Another is that from my experiences, at a higher dose, I cannot wake during the peak time under any circustances, including people shaking me or extremely loud music. I describe it as like being in a temporary coma.
As for long-term insomnia troubles, I don't know if Halcion is what appropriate for your situation. I have no formal knowledge w/this. I only speak from my personal experiences with needing to get to sleep in certain situations.

I found Serax to be great..they stopped making it in Canada, so I dont know if you can get it?
Also you may try restoril..15 -30 mg. Start off with 15mg.
Good Luck!

Need Help for Insomnia!!!

ok, i have had insomnia really bad for the last few months, only really getting about 2-3 hours of sleep a night, on average. I feel fatigued all the time but i just can't get to sleep. I am up until 4 or 5 in the morning and then sleep till 7 when i have to get up and go to school. I have tried taking tylenol PM, NyQuil, Benadryl, and other OTC sleeping aides, but i have grown immune to them all. I really need the sleep, i believe the deprovation is taking a toll on my health. are there any other suggestions as to how to maybe cure this problem. I am away at college and really haven't found a doctor to go to up here, so i am not sure if i can even get to a dr. to give me a prescription. any at home methods i could adapt, any adivce at this point would be helpful. I feel dead. i have done coke recently (March 9 - 11) and i think that has a lot to do with it, and before the coke i had done E (Feb1, 17) and it seems to me that every time i do one or the other my sleeping patters are totally screw up for months at a time. It this normal to do a stimulant about once a month and be screwed up for months at a time. Coke and E are only used rarely these day but leave me sleep deprived for seems like forever.

Last edited:
Get some 5-HTP and melatonin. Avoid caffeine. Is drugs responsible for this?

I have never tried melatonin as it isn't available in my country, but many people find it helpful so it is worth a go. I am yet to find any non-prescription sleep aid that is reliable - the ones you have tried are sedating, but can leave a nasty hangover. Herbal products like valerian, hops etc are hit and miss in my experience. Kava kava is effective, but now banned in some countries.

You might like to get some books on managing insomnia. I don't know of any specific titles off hand, check out the libraries maybe. Some types of insomnia can be managed by learning how to relax and quiet your mind. Many people need to actually learn how to ge to sleep - I have had to do this myself. Avoiding caffeine in the evening and trying to get some exercise in the daytime can help insomnia too.

Failing all that, there are some prescription medicines that can help, but most sleeping tablets aren't much use in chronic insomnia due to the problems with tolerance and dependency. The newer sleeping tablets like Stilnox are also associated with tolerance, but possible less so than benzo's.

melatonin i swear by it. get the stuff that dissovels under your touge. never take the pills or liqud dosent work. take 2 or 3 if you really cant sleep let it dissovle and in like a hour you should be sleepy. then dont think about sleeping think about relaxing things and fall alsleep. if that dont work there is RX stuff that well just kill you. take one and your out in an hour and wont wake up for a long time. problem with this is no good REM sleep. please tell me how this works.

INSOMNIA.......please help!!!

alright im having a really bad problem wit getting to sleep, i havent slept a full night for god knows how long, probly about 4 months, i used to take an assortment of drugs quite reguarly but now(6 months) i have fallen back to just 1, pot.

its like i have forgotton how to sleep, it sounds weird but its tru.

has any1 got any tricks, or actually id love to hear anythin!!

please help!!

peace

Tricks?
a meth binge is guaranteed to make you pass out eventually
as is sticking it out awake all night - youll be dead by 6pm-ish the next day

I wouldn't recommend either though.
If anyone else can come up with a non-chemical solution I'd love to hear it - this happens to me occasionally too

Here is my guaranteed formula for a knockout :

*50-200 mg s 5-HTP (get 5-htp pills that have NO other active
ingredients)

*500 mgs Magnesium Oxide (bad absorption , but cheapest)

and if that combo doesnt work , then add

*1-3 mg Melatonin.

Be careful , as mixing melatonin and 5-htp can induce mild peripheral serotonin syndrome (too much serotonin in the blood). I have experienced this quite a few times and it is NOT fun.....

Good night :)

What types of drugs do you use? Do you drink excessive ammounts of caffeine throughout the day? I think you have to give us some more info before anyone will be able to help you out with your problem.

i now only use pot, but i used to take e's, ice, coke and speed on a regular basis, say 1 time a week for about a year. not all in one sitting but yea.

i smoke it up probly 6 days a week, i thought it was ment to help get u to sleep...?

but yea thanks for ur replys, i was kinda hopin for a non-chemical soloution, but thnks neways.

peace out people.

SubJ

MoeBro said:
Tricks?
a meth binge is guaranteed to make you pass out eventually
as is sticking it out awake all night - youll be dead by 6pm-ish the next day

I wouldn't recommend either though.
If anyone else can come up with a non-chemical solution I'd love to hear it - this happens to me occasionally too

This is a horrible idea for a true insomniac.. Yes it does work for a person with regular sleeping patterns, but will not work for one who doesnt... Instead, it just will aggrevate them..

Have you tried benzos?? Ambien??? I know that most people find it impossible to stay awake from a large dose of xanax..

Aside from that, using any type of chemcial is gonna be temporary fix.. and when you do come off, your sleeping problem will be worse than better.. However, I would still reccomend a full time script to benzos, as pot will most likely cease to work sooner or later... If take as directed they can be a tremendous help.. If you start abusing them though, their efficiency will fade. Personally, I would go to a doctor.