• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelic Synaesthesia Thread

I know what that other feeling is like and thats pretty fun too but synasthesia is pretty different. I have a mild synasthesia with sound and touch and sound and taste. Its not the same as when u hear a sound and then it reminds you of a taste. Its as the sound is a taste.

Last edited:
I've had visuals that react to music many times on many drugs but I don't really think of this as synesthesia. Only time I've really had it was the first time I took acid and the yellow walls of the house I was in tasted of lemon sherbert.... I tasted with my eyes.... it was awesome!

IGNVS said:
2ce has produced synaesthesia stronger than lsd for me anyway...

Likewise, except it was an inordinately phenomenal dose that produced this for me (unkwown, silly dumb kids w/o appropriate measurement capabilities), and it was monumentous.

BongFish said:
............. Only time I've really had it was the first time I took acid and the yellow walls of the house I was in tasted of lemon sherbert.... I tasted with my eyes.... it was awesome!
Bongfish - your comment reminds me of a documentary I saw over 10 years ago on UK TV about synaesthesia. It was a HORIZON programme called "ORANGE SHERBET KISSES (1994)".

The title is taken from a woman's confession that she saw orange sherbet when her boyfriend kissed her.

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/519669

Spatial-frequency/Colour synaesthesia

Hello. A slightly odd question, this, perhaps, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it...

Has anyone experienced spatial frequency / colour synaesthesia? I hadn't, until recently.

My father, a maths teacher, had given me some posters. Most of them were educational maths posters, but one was a work of art, by Robert Dixon, called 'Wolf Net'. It is entirely black and white, and consists of a tiling of outline hexagons and triangles, but in a space that constricts towards two points in the picture, such that the shapes get smaller, and the lines composing them thinner, as they approach the two centres.

When uninfluenced by any psychoactives other than caffeine and nicotine, it appears to me (and the other five people I have asked) black and white, as it is. However, when affected by cannabis, the picture becomes coloured, in a specific way: as the shapes get smaller (increasing spatial frequency: more stuff going on in any given unit of retinal space) the colours of the lines shift from violet (at low spatial frequency, on the outside) to red (at high spatial frequency, towards the centres), via intervening green and yellow.

This effect, noticeable under cannabis, was markedly stronger under a combination of 2C-B and MDMA (forgive the confound). It appears in the absence of any other notable visual effects on any other object (that I've come across yet). It has replicated in two others that I have asked (without giving them any indication of how it appeared to me), one of them on cannabis, 2C-B and MDMA, and the other on ethanol, 2C-B, and MDMA.

That this effect occurs in a number of people (albeit that 3 is a small sample: to find a shared perceptual experience, identical to such a degree, among three people, is quite suggestive), and appears to be brought out by diverse drugs, leads me to wonder whether some inherent property of typical human visual processing is being amplified. It also makes me wonder what cannabis and either 2C-B or MDMA have in common, in terms of the receptor activity they produce, that they should both produce this striking perceptual illusion.

Also, it may not be spatial frequency that is the key: it's possible that other factors are confounded with it in the picture. I hope to manipulate various parameters to test what factors are crucial to the effect.

If anyone has experienced a similarly consistent (across occasions and people) visual effect of colour evoked by changes in geometric structure (or some other such low-level visual property), or has any ideas about what if anything this might say about human visual processing, or how it relates to what is known about the activity of the drugs that appear to produce the effect, I'd be most grateful and delighted to read what they have to say about it. :)

Sound, light... Everything is vibration, just in different forms.
Synesthesia is a funny effect, most notable on an acid trip IMO.

invert said:
Good idea! I'll try to scan it in some time tomorrow. Unfortunately, I can't find it on the web.
yeah i searched all ends of google for it and found nothing... it sounds like a real cool picture though!

IGNVS said:
yeah i searched all ends of google for it and found nothing... it sounds like a real cool picture though!

me too I searched all over the net for it . I would really like to see this picture also . I hope someone posts one.

dread said:
Sound, light... Everything is vibration, just in different forms.
Mmm, yes indeed! :) Or at least can be described in terms of waves. Spatial frequency isn't vibration per se, but it is a wavy way of thinking about visual stimuli.

Synesthesia is a funny effect, most notable on an acid trip IMO.
Sure, but I guess what's interesting me most about this effect and this particular picture that seems so good at evoking it, isn't just the synaesthesia, but the consistency of the (quite specific and kind of surprising) nature of the effect across different observers (thus far!), occasions, and drugs. In fact, it may not even be synaesthesia, but rather a specific and normally subtle visual illusion (due to the normal working of the human visual system) that is heightened beyond the subliminal by some drugs.

Anyway, I've managed a first attempt at scanning the picture. I had to do it in four parts, and some of the parts are a bit dodgy (what should be white is rather shadowy). The original poster is about 37x45 cm (portrait orientation), and is purely black and white (no grayscale) and on glossy paper. I have found the best viewing position for the effects (whether on cannabis or on 2C-B+MDMA) is a distance of about 2 or 3 metres from the poster; but I can see the effect fairly clearly with the scanned image fitting on my macbook screen from a distance of about 80 cm (and also with an A5 non-glossy print-out).

Looking too closely tends to remove the effect (I'm guessing this is because the size of the small hexagons on the retina is now as large as the large ones are from a distance). ETA: Actually, at the height of the 2C-B, effects remained at close quarters but only in the tiniest parts of the picture: the rest tended to return to black. It was also, during the waning of 2C-B, susceptible to 2C-B-typical on-offness and waves of deep vibrancy switching to the objective achromaticity and back to the vibrancy. The cannabis-elicited version of the effect is more consistent, though weaker.

I am currently under the influence only of a relatively low dose of cannabis, and the red+green effects in the smaller hexagons (towards the two centres) are fairly clear, albeit relatively dark red and green. The more bright vibrant and diversely chromatic version of the same effect (with bright reds and greens, and a really deep violet on the outside and yellow - sometimes orangey-gold too - towards the inside) I have consistently observed only on phenethylamines thus far, and not on cannabis alone.

I'll be jolly interested to see whether other bluelighters' visual systems respond in the same way as I and the two others I've shown this poster to with the presence of the relevant drugs.

Here's the scan: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/deced/WolfNet.jpg

ETA: I'll endeavour to produce a better-scanned, higher resolution version in the next day or two...

Last edited:
Wow, that would really freak me out while using anything psychedelic.

It reminds me WAY too much of a spider's web :(

Damn, that looks very cool. Time to spend 2 hours googling for a bigger version =D

are the dots suposed to be the wolf's eyes.. if thats the case it should be called rev jessy jackson net

roygbiv said:
Wow, that would really freak me out while using anything psychedelic.

It reminds me WAY too much of a spider's web :(
Heh, it reminded me and my friends of blood vessels and cell structures. Certainly something quite biological about it... But it was a thing of pure delight (well, delight and bewilderment) to us when under 2C-B and MDMA.

Mr. White said:
Damn, that looks very cool. Time to spend 2 hours googling for a bigger version =D
Good luck with that, I'm fairly sure it's not on the net, but I'll try to get my arse into gear with making a better (and bigger) version of the scan later (although the effect is stronger, the smaller the image is on one's retina, I think; up to a certain point anyway). It should also be possible (and more effective than scanning the poster) to generate the pattern by programming it. I should think a fairly simple algorithm would generate it. (ETA: And I'll certainly figure out how to program it at some point, so that I can vary the parameters systematically to see what aspects of the pattern are needed to produce the illusion - it seems to me there must be something special about the pattern, 'cos nothing else in my environment gets all colourful like that on moderate doses of THC or low doses of 2CB.)

IGNVS said:
are the dots suposed to be the wolf's eyes..
I'd guess so...

if thats the case it should be called rev jessy jackson net
:D I don't get it... why?

Last edited:
Well even staring at the picture completely sober, I can see many patterns and things forming before me.

I will gladly study the picture under the influence of some substances in the future. Good luck with the scan.

Rahcookiemonster said:
Well even staring at the picture completely sober, I can see many patterns and things forming before me.
Ah, interesting! Can you describe what you are seeing... are these patterns coloured? Thus far, I've not noted any colours when sober (although it only takes a bit of weed to get them going), and neither my father nor my girlfriend (both of whom are persistently sober) can see anything other than black and white.

I will gladly study the picture under the influence of some substances in the future. Good luck with the scan.
Cheers!