• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos keeping tolerence low and not getting addicted.

BruceLeeSwag

Bluelighter
I recently got my first package of benzos ever (etizolam, 1mg) and have found this drug to be one of my favorites so far, it has all kinds of good uses for me like helping reduce negative effects of other drugs or helping me sleep, i even find it great to just put a couple under my tongue and sit in front of the pc watching a tv show or chatting.

Can anyone experienced tell me what kind of breaks I should take in using these to keep my tolerance at a minimum and prevent any physical addiction? I have taken 4 days in a row in evenings just for "fun", I don't use them for social anxiety or anything throughout the day, i'm now on a 2 day break.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

The best way not to get addicted is not to start. In fact, that is the only way.

If you are taking this drug for recreational purposes, it will be much much MUCH more difficult to maintain a status on as non-dependent than if you were taking it because you absolutely need to.

Take the drug 4/7 days a week will end up making you dependent (addicted) in short time. You'd really need to be taking it max 2/7 days a week to have better luck, but even then you're walking the finest of lines.

Just so you know 2 days break isn't enough for a benzodiazepine, or in this case thienodiazepine tolerance to go down.

My best advice would be to keep your dosing to once a week. It is VERY easy to become a daily doser with *diazepines, so be really careful, as the withdrawals can be fatal, and are very unpleasant.

My best advice would be to keep your dosing to once a week. It is VERY easy to become a daily doser with *diazepines, so be really careful, as the withdrawals can be fatal, and are very unpleasant.

^+1!!!

I do this with both opiates and benzos.

Don't binge and give yourself 6-7 days in between uses. I keep my usage to just one day a week, twice a week if you consider zolpidem since it's benzo like.

yea, but still be careful with that z-drug. worst w/d I've ever suffered (never suffered alcohol or benzo w/d)... non-addictive my ASS

(I have a big round ass, fyi, just so you can picture the emphasis, and it's a little hairy)

Since I use weed with everything I keep my dosage at 10mg. Doesn't give me real intense effects but enough to keep me satisfied. :)

mental addiction I can handle, but how is it possible to become physically addicted to a drug with such a short half life whilst taking breaks much longer than the half life ? doesn't physical addiction start when your body has a constant flow of something?

You can handle a benzo addiction? Have you been through it, or how do you know you can handle it? It's not a walk in the park.

Even by the time all of the drug is eliminated from your body according to half life, your tolerance will not go down just because the drugs out of your system. Keep this in mind.

"Physical" addiction=dependency, whereas addiction=psychological (i.e. "mental" addiction). The two are often, although not always, found together in patients. Many before you have said those same words, "mental addiction I can handle..." Famous last words in fact. Nonetheless, addiction is a "funny" beast.

As to the half life, drugs tend to build up in your system, and over time you will become tolerance regardless of how often you use it.

Good to stay prepared, but still, the only way to prevent yourself from not becoming addicted or dependent is so not use it in the first place. Still, next to that (rather unreasonable demand), you're best bet it taking it not more than once or twice a week, and ritualizing the experience (i.e. friday and sat night after work or something, and then and only then).

You can handle a benzo addiction? Have you been through it, or how do you know you can handle it? It's not a walk in the park.

Even by the time all of the drug is eliminated from your body according to half life, your tolerance will not go down just because the drugs out of your system. Keep this in mind.
I've handled alcohol addiction, phenibut addiction, stimulant addictions(multiple different ones), nicotine addiction....i've used my willpower and psychedelic drugs to cure my addictions and have not found any of them particularly challenging to quit so I can base my predictions upon that.

People are using these benzos for years at a time and handling it fine, i'm sure me doing it a few days a week is not gonna be a problem. I'm probably going to restrict to weekends and maybe throughout the week once, I usualy take some kind of stimulant or psychedelic for fun during weekend when I go out and that almost always ends up in me taking some relaxing drugs on the comedown.

3-4 four days out of the week is pretty risky. let us know down the road, why not?

if I were a betting man I'd put my money on maybe doing things a little differently...

I've handled alcohol addiction, phenibut addiction, stimulant addictions(multiple different ones), nicotine addiction....i've used my willpower and psychedelic drugs to cure my addictions and have not found any of them particularly challenging to quit so I can base my predictions upon that.

People are using these benzos for years at a time and handling it fine, i'm sure me doing it a few days a week is not gonna be a problem. I'm probably going to restrict to weekends and maybe throughout the week once, I usualy take some kind of stimulant or psychedelic for fun during weekend when I go out and that almost always ends up in me taking some relaxing drugs on the comedown.

None of those addictions really compare to benzodiazepine WD, except the alcohol. Trust me I've been through this, dosing a few days a week usually leads to problems. I don't know what you mean by people taking benzos for years and being fine. Whoever you know whos taken them for years and is fine, is probably still addicted to them and still taking them, and either doesn't know or is desperately avoiding the withdrawal. Benzodiazepine addiction isn't something I would wish upon my worst enemy.

Plus, you already said you had addictions to nicotine, alcohol, and phenibut. There is no such thing as not having an "addictive personality".

. Still, next to that (rather unreasonable demand), you're best bet it taking it not more than once or twice a week, and ritualizing the experience (i.e. friday and sat night after work or something, and then and only then).

Ritualizing can lead to an addiction. Using it in the same setting at the same time every week can lead to the same kind of mental addiction as using once a day at the same time and location.

I take benzos a fair amount (pretty much every night for the past 3-4 months) for anxiety and recreational purposes though not technically prescribed, and opi's occasionally too (not addicted really in any form). i'm definately mentally addicted, and quite self aware that am probably well on my way (if not already) to physical addiction. i try to have a break of about 1-2 weeks every month, and haven't had any physical W/D's (luckily).

I'm having some gastro-intestinal issues and being referred through the doctors (not due to benzo use, have had problems for a while), and have decided now is a good time to take a health break until it is sorted and get away from addiction, so will be beginning tapering next week from Alprazolam (Xanax) & Clonazepam (Klonopin). But in the past few months I've been doing several different benzos/non benzo's but not daily, Zolpidem (Ambien), Nitrazepam (Mogadon), Zopiclone, Eszopiclone (Lunesta), Diazepam (Valium). I don't tend to do ridiculous dosing, even with tolerance, apart from with Zolpidem & Zopiclone or if i'm having the occasional binge for stricly recreational purposes.

To the OP, to reiterate what everyone else has been saying in the thread, with all diazepines and non-benzos, if you take more than 4/7 days a week, you're fast on your way to mental and eventually physical addiction. And the lovely withdrawals.

Ritualizing can lead to an addiction. Using it in the same setting at the same time every week can lead to the same kind of mental addiction as using once a day at the same time and location.

True, but I never said it wouldn't - I meant to say it would slow the OP's path to using every day. I know many many many people who drink Friday and Saturday or smoke weed or take MDMA or do coke (etc. etc. even one person who was able to keep heroin to only weekends before she stopped and hasn't looked back), and they seem to have no problem not using other than just that. HOWEVER, if one has an addictive personality it's unlikely you'd be so lucky. Then again, using (or at least beginning one's use) by limiting it to weekends is a lot better than using 4 days a week...

There is no such thing as keeping tolerance low and not getting addicted. If you keep using, it's almost a guarantee.

I know almost nobody who has been able to use things like benzos or opiates just recreationally without ever having built dependence/addiction to them. It's something of an inevitability. Even if you go a couple years without becomming addicted, that could all change in the next couple.

Your best bet is to use as infrequently as possible, if not outright stopping altogether.

(I can't edit posts with my work browser, sorry for the continuous post)

I thought I could just use opiates recreationally. Lol. I actually managed to pull it off for about a year and a half. That's probably longer than most, but guess what? I ended up with a full blown addiction.

For over 500 days I was able to use 4-5 days a week, only about 10mg of Oxy each day and had no problem taking breaks for a couple weeks. I never felt any WD. This was for over a year and a half. Where am I now? Pushing 200mg/day with no end in sight.

For over 500 days I was able to use 4-5 days a week, only about 10mg of Oxy each day and had no problem taking breaks for a couple weeks. I never felt any WD. This was for over a year and a half. Where am I now? Pushing 200mg/day with no end in sight.

Yup, many end up such as this. Not 100% of the time for sure, but it's certainly more possible for the vast majority of people who play with such fire for such to end up happening. And boy is it not fun... but I don't have to tell you that SE ;)

(I can't edit posts with my work browser, sorry for the continuous post)

I thought I could just use opiates recreationally. Lol. I actually managed to pull it off for about a year and a half. That's probably longer than most, but guess what? I ended up with a full blown addiction.

I tend to use a couple of times a month if that. I work 5-6 days a week and Dihydrocodeine messes with my stomach issues pretty badly when coming down/the next day. So unless I take it with Promethazine or another 1st gen anti histamine with the antiemetic actions, which is added CNS Depression I would be under with 200-300mg Dihydrocodeine and usually 2mg-3mg of Xanax. So I often don't feel like taking more the next day would help.

However I do sometimes take an unrecreational dose (40mgs) the next day, to deal with the hangover headaches at work I get. And then I won't use for a few weeks. But i have a very monitored relationship with Opi's and can't get any decent Opi's like Oxy & Hydro (probably a good thing.. :p). Don't particularly want to move to Methadone or Heroin due to addiction/tolerances.

So i'd say i'm pretty occasional, but thats primarily to due my unhealthy relationship with Benzos, and my preference. When I go on breaks I wont take Opi's for that duration either... fingers crossed.