• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What did you do to prep for moving out for the first time?

Oats

Bluelighter
I'm gathering opinions before i move out. I'm sure i will be out of this house within a year, what did you guys do to move out what things did you get and how long did you live on your own before you moved back in, that is if you did...

saved up 1700 dollars, got my bed, tv, dresser, and clothing ready .... packed up, moved in, got 150 dollars worth of groceries and I was set.

Saved up about 3 grand I was 19 had a job and a car and I was in school. I lasted about 3 years before I moved back due to my health from a sugary I had. Bounce back and forth for the next 3 years back on my own 7months now. Hoping this was the last time. Its expensive in CA, hard to not stay at home. I mean if I can save 1500 a month on rent... how can I turn it down.

I had a job, a place to live secured, owned a car, threw my shit in to duffel bags and left.

get roommates. cheaper and you share stuff so you don't have to buy all the furnishings from the get go.

I knew I would be moving out well before the date it happened. I prepared by asking family and friends to please gift me 'housey' items for any birthdays or Christmases that took place for the next couple of years before and after the moving out date.
I also asked the same people if they had items they no longer needed that were in good working order that I could use when I moved. I ended up with a lot of items that helped me to live comfortably initially, and I used the income from my part-time job to pay for the other costs of living (rent, food, books for school etc).

I moved out with a housemate (live in partner) initially and went on to live in various share houses for a number of years. This really helped to make the costs manageable, and it meant if something important broke (ie: washing machine) I didn't have to shoulder the cost alone.

I bought a tent, camping stove, ration packs, sleeping bags etc. and went hitchhiking out west. Saved up 60 bucks only, and left.

I had a summer with an easy, peaced out job to think about it. I was 18 and moving 350 miles to go to school. I did absolutely sweet fuck all other than pack my clothes/personal items the week before, and then I made the drive to my new home. Money wasn't an issue, but after that year was up, I was so homesick that I moved back for a couple months. I got my own place before my second year and, aside from a few months when I relocated cross-country, I've lived either on my own or with partners/roommates.

Since my first apartment came furnished, I didn't have to worry about much aside from putting clothes away. It was off-campus student housing, so there was a good social dynamic involved. I lived with 2 other chicks my age, one of whom was my best friend from high school. We're all friends to this day.

You mean moving out of your parents to your own place?
It depends on the place you're living in.
With roommates or alone? College/university town or not? Furnished or unfurnished?
Roommates vs. alone
Roommates - discuss what they have, what you have, what you need to bring, what you're allowed to use (of theirs). ex. John brings cutlery, Joe brings pots and pans, John brings microwave, Joe brings kettle
Alone - you will need everything! save some money because you're going to realize you need things that you don't have

Furnished vs. unfurnished
Furnished - you'll need your bed, desk, lights, couch, microwave, kitchen supplies, etc. (which can be very costly)
Unfurnished - you will just need personal items like clothes, etc. although you'll still need to buy some new things, but not as much

If money is a big issue, find roommates. Or just rent a room in a house. This is usually best if you have not lived alone before.

For me, I lived in a dorm the first year I moved out of my parents (to university). Then I spent two years renting rooms in houses. (First year was completely furnished, second year just had like a couple chairs and a TV, I needed my own kitchen supplies, bed, desk, etc.) Now that I'm done college and have an actual job, I can afford a place kind of on my own (it's a basement bachelor apartment where I don't have roommates but the landlord lives right above me :p). But I accumulated stuff over the years. Of course I still need to buy some things but not everything.

As well, calculate what you'll need each month. Include: rent, bus pass (or gas and car insurance and parking), food, entertainment, phone, Internet (if not included in rent), heat/electricity/etc. (if not included in rent), TV, etc. I make a spreadsheet for this. Make sure you are making enough at your job that you can afford everything!!

+1 for living with roommates. Whether it is a friend you have known, someone you met over the internet or even a boyfriend/girlfriend, living with another person makes things a lot easier financially. Be careful when selecting this person, however, because if you get stuck in a lease with someone you find you truly cannot live with, you're kind of SOL. I've been lucky and had a great roommate in college and I live with my boyfriend of 2 years now, but I know countless people who wanted to strangle their roommate by the end of their time together, and it can really ruin friendships.

One thing my boyfriend and I did when selecting a place was write down a list of essential things the place must have, in order for you to consider renting it. For us, that was a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, and a washing machine/dryer in the unit. Knowing these were our must-haves, it helped us narrow down a lot of places.

Also, be aware of what you can truly afford, and don't get in over your head. A lot of people are drawn to a place because of the rent price, but it is important to consider other costs like cable TV, internet, gas/electric, what the place charges for water/sewer/trash removal. Some places include this and some don't. My boyfriend and I pay $959 a month for our 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment, but we usually have a $150 cable/internet bill, $80 gas/electric, $40 for water, sewer and trash, plus renters insurance, and other costs such as groceries. When all is said and done, our monthly costs are about $1500 and that's not even including disposable income, or savings.

thank you all, i am planning on moving in with my boyfriend at first maybe just to his house from his parents where we will spilt rent for the room and after i have saved enough money him and i are planning to move into our own apt and i plan to get a 2bedroom and so it will be us and a roommate or maybe another couple and we will all split it. your tips have helped.

Learn to cook, if you don't know how already. If you move in with your bf's parents this will enamour you to them, and once you're in your own place you can control your food spend rather than get take-out all the time, and eat nutritiously which will make you healthier and happier than 2-minute noodles and mac'n'cheese.

Also while you're at his parents' house, be respectful and helpful. You might be paying rent but they're still doing you a favour by letting you live there - help out with the dishes, tidy up after yourself, do your own laundry, don't hog the tv/computer, don't be overly affectionate with your boyfriend and certainly don't let them ever catch or hear you having sex.

On a different track, when you're moving in with your boyfriend it's helpful have some conversations about the reality of when you live together. Will you take turns cleaning the toilet or will you trade toilet cleaning for shower scrubbing? Do you want to do the dishes after every meal or will you do the day's worth after dinner? Will you split your grocery bill in half or as a ratio of your respective wages? Is it ok for him to ask his mates over without checking with you first? Can you apply fake tan before going to bed?

On the relationship side, you want to be sure that your communication lines are always open. Your boyfriend will do things that give you the shits, and vice versa, it's one of the certainties of living together. Making sure you can tell each other in a calm manner what they're doing is upsetting you and why, the ability to take such feedback on board, and the maturity to come to a compromise on an issue, is absolutely essential to your happiness.

Also, it's a massive generalisation but I know lots of guys who move in with a girlfriend straight after living with their parents and expect the girlfriend to be their mum, so keep an eye out for that, and nip it in the bud asap.

^thank you so much. I have gave it some thought and decided to couch surf for some time while i am going to beauty school and after i get a job at a salon i am going to get my own apt with my boyfriend. we practically live with each other anyways. but we also have had talks about who will do what and how we pay for things, we are going to split everything in half.

Also, it's a massive generalisation but I know lots of guys who move in with a girlfriend straight after living with their parents and expect the girlfriend to be their mum, so keep an eye out for that, and nip it in the bud asap.

Lol +1

Make sure you keep that pussywhipped son' bitch on his leash, make sure he does his chores and shit.. Also no video games until homeowork is finished.

^Hand in hand with that, if you and your boyfriend aren't splitting the rent and all the bills exactly 50/50, make sure that you have a mutual understanding that one person is not "indebted" to the other, and has to work harder in some other area. Or if you want it to work that way, make sure you are both on the same page about what is expected and what is not. Trust me, when it comes time to clean the bathroom, this will be important.

HA he will be the one to clean the bathroom lol, he uses it way more than i do..for much more nasty things i believe.
him and i have a goo understanding and we're on the same level for almost everything. i will make sure to keep him pussywipped just for you modo lol.

hit up the liquor store (not for booze tho lol) got some boxs from em, went back 2 my old place, packd most of the shit n my junk drawr in those boxs, threw my socks n underwears n a black garbage bag. got some more boxs for more random shit, drew a symbol of what was in the box on the box.
took me 2 1/2 car loads but got everything moved.. (i moved into my new place last week).

all i can say is.. when u get 2 the new place.. put ur shit up lol, if not u will have bags n boxs all over the place. with a nice madeup bed in the middle of all the chaos!

mine was a quick move. i had a bit of a wake up call living with a controlling mother. i was only 22 years old, and it was nice living at home with a young child, but it was not emotionally stable for me. i found a nice apartment complex that had the free move in free month special. i wasn't able to take any of my furniture, so i went to aaron's rental and it provided me with a great living room and bedroom for me, and i purchased kitchen ware and childrens furniture for my son. i was lucky i had a well paying commission based job, i hadn't any money saved as my mother took every check, but my first check i received was enough to move me and get me what we needed.

it is nice if you have the time to plan your move out on your own, but necessity will motivate you to make it work any way possible.