• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What did you do to prep for moving out for the first time?

I'm moving out for the first time next month. I'm lucky enough that my parents are covering my first months rent and I have a bunch of student aid at my disposal, so I'll have a month or so to find work after the move. I really don't have much money saved up so a job will be imperative right away.

I maxed out my food stamp card on peanut butter and honey. Ate those sammiches for about three months straight. :)

Save that money!

"if you arent splitting the bills 50/50 you arent indebted to that person"

id disagree, if you pay less you should do a couple more chores. or at least a bj every night

I made sure my job would cover the bills. My employer gave me 2000 for moving which was not enough but I naively accepted. I sold all my college furniture and kept tv, kitchen stuff, bedding etc. I packed my shit into the back of my dad's truck (which I bought him a custom truck cap with some of the money) and they drove me to Connecticut from New Brunswick, Canada. I had no savings. I borrowed the down payment for a lease on a Jeep Cherokee from my parents. I moved into a cheap furnished one bedroom basement apartment which I stayed for about 3 years while paying down my student loan. I found this place thru a realtor who used to work where I was going. It was her aunt's house. I paid my folks back too.

Then I moved into a one bedroom and financed bedroom, living room furniture, tv/home theater over 3 years. I did not like living ia basement apartment but it was a means to an end. My rent went from $475/month utilities included to $950 plus utilities but it was worth it.

Never had a roommate except for the last 2 years of university. That wasn't real life as I had a student loan and my parents were giving me $500/month. I did not have to work part time during my Master's only undergrad. Real life starts when you are paying for EVERYTHING. I realized that GROSS salary is nowhere near what you take home.

Great advice so far :)
I'm in the process of gathering up all my shit as well, as I plan to move in roughly 3 weeks, fortunately I'll have a roommate whom I can share expenses with. I'll likely be putting off my next semester of school so I can get fully acclimated.
I wont actually be bringing anywhere near all my stuff with me, furniture especially. In the interest of making fewer trip(3+ hour drive), I'm gonna keep this stuff stashed at my mom's house.
Here's what I plan to do - Since I'll be living in a college town, and will be moving in near the end of the current semester, I'm gonna hit the streets and check places like craigslist for college kids who are selling their furniture when they move back in with mommy and daddy. Anyone had success with this? An example of the stuff I'm looking for is a dresser, a mattress/bed, bookshelf, computer desk, and maybe some chairs, and I suppose anything else if it strikes my fancy.

Last edited:
^ I would look for all that stuff, except for a mattress. I heard somewhere that selling used mattresses is illegal (NO idea if this is true) but the idea of sleeping on some random stranger's used mattress kind of skeeves me out :\

Haha, I guess you're right. I'm not too worried about the legal aspect of it, but I hadn't really considered all the nasty college sex that probably took place on that mattress. :|
I just wont be able to fit my current mattress in my car is all, and I've pretty much already decided against renting a moving van/truck. The reason I'm not moving all my bulky shit like furniture is cause we'll both(my future roommate and I) be moving again in August, albeit only a few miles. He currenly lives on the 3rd floor, so fuck carrying all that shit up 3 flights of stairs only to have to move it again 3-4 months later. I'd rather keep it stashed at my mom's and then drive back and get it if necessary in August.
I suppose I can just buy a new mattress altogether.