• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Anyone use e cig for a.d.d. ?

jake99

Bluelighter
I just started an electronic cig to try to quit . i got the 36 mg one which packs quite a punch. it also has helped me feel more focused and alert since my dr wont give me a.d.d. meds anymore................
between the cig and caffeine i feel way better. anyone else try this ?

Electronic cigarettes are a novel invention, that's for sure. I have some, and tried using them to quit smoking cigarettes a number of times, but failed horribly. Sure, it contains nicotine, it looks like you're exhaling smoke, but it still doesn't feel the same to me. It lacks that throat hit that comes with puffing on a real cigarette. Personally they didn't work out as well as I'd hoped in regards to replacing regular cigarettes, but if you succesfully get them to work for you in that manner, than i applaud you.

I'm not realy sure of your question, though.. You're asking if e-cigarettes help with treating ADD? Well you said so yourself, that 'between the cig and caffeine I feel way better". So if you have found something, or a combination of two things, that works for you, without going the amphetamine route, than I would say there's no reason to change your routine. Caffine and nicotine are both stimulants, though obviously have different modes of action than an amphetamine type drug would.

Why are there modes of action different if they are stimulants ???

nicotine affects several different neurotransmitters, but nicotine is not the only cause of intoxication from cigarettes. tobacco smoke contains the MAOIs norharman, anabasine, anatabine, and nornicotine contributing to increased synaptic levels of dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. thuis is why regular smokers of cigarettes do not receive relief from w/d or intoxication from just nicotine alone (i.e. e cigs)

i disagree. a 36 mg e cig is a lot more nicotine than regular cigs

And these 36mgs are spared, if you took a dose of 36mg of nicotine, you'd die. If you smoke cigarettes, one comes after another, and here you just use one "e-cig". But that's just a side note because more nicotine doesn't mean substitution for inhaling substances like harman, norharman, and more. The amount of nicotine is irrelevant because these substances are totally different structurally and their action is also different.

I thought the average amount of nicotine out of a "normal" cig is something like 2mg. So a 36mg e-cig is basically chain smoking 18 cigs at once, or a whole pack...

I thought the average amount of nicotine out of a "normal" cig is something like 2mg. So a 36mg e-cig is basically chain smoking 18 cigs at once, or a whole pack...

Yeah, but you wouldn't use up the entire 36mg in one sitting. Most e-cigarettes contain a reservoir which is usually equivalent to roughly a pack, so everytime you re-fill it there's say 36mg in it. You could puff on it all day long and only have to re-fill it like once a day.

What's different with an E-Cig is that you aren't "forced" to smoke a whole cigarette. You can take one or two puffs and then set it down. World of difference IMO. You can also get E-Cig's with 0 nicotine which is great if you have an oral fixation of sorts.

Until I found the ULTIMATE E-Cigarette I wasn't very impressed. Now that I've got what *I* consider to be the best quality e-cig in the world I've been able to go from 2-3 packs of Marlboro's per day to 4-6 regular cigarettes per day. Unfortunately I've had to spend hundreds of dollars and countless hours of reading before I found it but it was certainly worth it.

@ Jake - I'm in the same boat as you and have to say the E-Cig definitely helps.

Drifter

A note about those numbers: The # of mg is typically the concentration of freebase nicotine in the solution the e-cig is vaporizing (mg nicotine / mL solution). The base is typically either propylene glycol (PG) or glycerol (usually referred to as VG – vegetable glycerin). I've seen concentrations from 0 – 100 mg / mL for sale, although I think anything above 24 mg (some say 36 mg) is supposed to be diluted before use.

A funny thing about e-liquid: I don't think the nicotine molecules are free to move about as they would be in say, a water solution. I've tried 2-phase oil / e-liquid extractions to get the nicotine out, but without any success at all. I think the nicotine molecules are somehow complexed by the di / tri-ol molecules so the whole mess has to be broken down by the body before the nicotine becomes absorbable. This, I believe, is why there's no instant rush the second the vapor hits your throat / lungs like there is in a normal cigarette.

Last edited:
Nicotine is not "complexed" by the glycol/glycerol molecules, it's just not as effective a drug when it isn't combined with the other active ingredients that get generated when you burn tobacco.

Nicotine is not "complexed" by the glycol/glycerol molecules, it's just not as effective a drug when it isn't combined with the other active ingredients that get generated when you burn tobacco.

My friend who effectively switched to e-cigs without cravings for cigs at all tells me there aren't enough MAOI's in cigarettes to cause much of a pharmacological difference.

I'm not saying I fully believe him though - I'm not a cigarette smoker so this doesn't effect me, however, I have seen people try an e-cig and essentially prefer cigarettes still.

One way of being able to explain this difference... maybe some people are more or less sensitive to the MAOI synergy with nicotine?

Until I found the ULTIMATE E-Cigarette I wasn't very impressed. Now that I've got what *I* consider to be the best quality e-cig in the world I've been able to go from 2-3 packs of Marlboro's per day to 4-6 regular cigarettes per day.

Would you mind sharing that info with us? I've only tried one e-cig so far (without nicotine) and wasn't that impressed either, though I really did quit regular cigs for a while. I enjoy the different tastes you can try with e-cigs - blueberry, vanilla, etc. - but it was quite a hassle to fill the little 'reservoir', more than once a day.

What's different with an E-Cig is that you aren't "forced" to smoke a whole cigarette. You can take one or two puffs and then set it down. World of difference IMO. You can also get E-Cig's with 0 nicotine which is great if you have an oral fixation of sorts.

Until I found the ULTIMATE E-Cigarette I wasn't very impressed. Now that I've got what *I* consider to be the best quality e-cig in the world I've been able to go from 2-3 packs of Marlboro's per day to 4-6 regular cigarettes per day. Unfortunately I've had to spend hundreds of dollars and countless hours of reading before I found it but it was certainly worth it.

@ Jake - I'm in the same boat as you and have to say the E-Cig definitely helps.

Drifter

What is the brand name of the e-cig you bought that is the "ultimate" e-cig? I'm curious because I have been looking for a good one for a long time now.