Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Cannabis) Oral-High Dose-Exp.-brownies resulted in hospital trip on 4/20

peregrine

Greenlighter
So, this is hard to piece together as I don't remember anything too clearly. I am partially going off of other's accounts, but I cannot separate the "dreams" I had from reality that went on during this night. It is really hard to recount the story. And I still cannot eat brownies or super-chocolatey foods without feeling sick (I was a chocolate FIEND! I used to eat a LOT of chocolate before this experience). But I want to share something that happened to me and get some insight. I am 5'8, 115 lbs, and am a biker/runner/generally active (I have a LOW resting heart rate and LOW blood pressure! It was checked during a physical a month before this incident). I have not puked a SINGLE time since I was 12 years old, from mushrooms or anything - and I have eaten this many non-magical brownies in one sitting on many occasions before without more than a slight stomach ache. Some of this is recounted out of order, but overall I think I remembered everything important:

Some friends and I decided to have an ultimate 4/20 experience, and being that I finally live off campus, naturally I was volunteered as host. I have smoked for 2 years now, on and off, and had brownies and cookies at least several times, along with a multitude of psychadelics. So I am not a newbie, I have tripped plenty of times before.

Anyhow, my boyfriend and I some how managed to make it until 4:20 pm without smoking - at which time we found ourselves on top of the roof of a house where at least 5 bowls were being passed around. It was a LOT. After that point someone suggested that we try Opium, and they had a contact who knew where to get it.

So we piled into a car and went to pick up Opium, I think among everyone there were 3 grams. Smoked some out of resin-coated bowls, at least a few hits each.

We then made our arrangements for the night's party and after a lot of effort somehow wound up with 3 brownie mixes and over 2 ounces of mary jane. Some of it was strong, some type of kush, and a little of that was smoked, but the majority was mids.

Brownie butter/oil was made, more than enough for the 3 brownie batches. The first batch didn't have very much oil in it, the recipe was a more organic mix - still from Kroger or something, a normal brand- and didn't call form much. When that was brought out I ate maybe 2 brownies and most people ate one each. Bowls were passed around continuously outside. The other two batches were in the oven. There was still some oil leftover in a bowl, and I walked in to find my boyfriend licking the bowl. We were both hungry, already stoned and starving, despite smoking we hadn't eaten all day.

The second batch smelled delicious. I went in to check on it and it had already been in for an extra 20 minutes and was still soggy, so much oil was in it... We took that out and let it cool, but I couldn't wait much longer. I started digging in, first I ate a corner and then an entire column. By that I mean 3 x 3"x2" brownies... I spatala'd the rest on a plate and brought it out to everyone. I ate at least 2 or 3 more, large size brownies (rectangular). This batch/pan had at least an ounce of weed in the oil, and I had eaten nearly half the pan of brownies (12 were on the entire pan). But I didn't realize how many I had eaten, I was that hungry/stoned...

We were watching youtube videos and a bowl with a small amount of opium and some of the kush was being passed around. And a blunt of mostly opium as well. Most everyone had a few tokes of each.

Within the next hour I started feeling weird, as if a mushroom trip was starting, Or the first time on mdma, coming up. Just a sense of unease and restlessness. I couldn't get words out, so I went inside and laid down on my bed. But my bed didn't seem comfortable, it didn't seem to help. I walked back to the outside door and motioned at my boyfriend. He came in to snuggle with me. The kids outside were about ready to leave and I managed to get up one more time to say bye to them in the kitchen. I started losing more sense of time and feeling more unease.

My heart felt like it was pounding and it wasn't even 3 am yet. I kept checking the time, which was creeping by so slowly. I asked my boyfriend to tell me that I was normal 1000 times. He kept doing that and rubbing me, but I felt so restless. It felt like I was drifting in and out of reality, like I was within a waking nightmare. I would have a vision that I was doing something but not be aware what I was actually doing. My vision seemed to be "flashing" - something wasn't right about it such that I couldn't see normally, it was in a different hue or partially tunnel vision and definitely flashing, it would darken... I felt like I was going insane, and I felt like combing my fingers through my hair - it was like the worst psychedelic trip times 10. I checked the clock many, many times and even managed to get online to check what could be happening to me. I felt overheated. I dreamed that I tried to take a shower. I got back to the bed to my barely conscious boyfriend who asked why my hair was wet. I didn't know. But I remembered a dream of turning the shower on and sticking just my hair in and feeling better.

My boyfriend sat up and walked to the bathroom. I tried to lie down but it still felt like I was within a dream within a dream within a dream... My one leg felt numb for a bit and I smacked it. My mouth would feel tingly for a bit and then fade away. I felt like I was hyperventillating sometimes, my breathing felt very shallow and fast, like panting, but would also go away in waves.

I heard him puking so I walked to the bathroom. He was puking into the toilet. I rubbed his back and told him it would be ok. He said something about too much sugar, that it was just too much sugar. That comforted me a little bit. We got back to the bed and I typed in "too much sugar" but couldn't find any reports on it. My boyfriend's skin felt cold and clammy. Either that or I was just super over-heated. I got up and started pacing. I remember, I think, unless this was also in my mind - opening the front door and walking outside (remember, at this point I was undressed from the shower - but I was not in the least bit aware of this, I had no self-awareness, so my memory is cloudy). It was at least 3:20 at this point. I walked inside and felt like puking, but when I tried there was nothing. I sat on the bed for a little bit. I walked around and paced, looking at the stove clock. Then I felt it. It felt like I was falling forward - and I staggered forward - I started heaving - this nasty brown stuff started gushing out. But I was so far gone I couldn't feel it and it felt as if my self, my ego, was tucked away in my brain and I was experiencing everything through someone else's body, as if I was watching a movie.

I felt like I was going to fall into the puke. I kept puking, and I felt like it would never stop. I tried to reach for my phone and at least 3 times typed in my mom's cell number but never pressed dial, sometimes I typed it in wrong, I remember having a lot of digits on the screen. I talked myself into getting help, any help. I staggered up towards my sleeping - lesbian - roomate's door (naked, yes, naked) and did the only thing I could convince myself to do and I knocked. It felt so weird knocking, and I still felt like heaving. She opened the door and all I could say was "help".

(this is per her account). I had brown puke dripping down my body. I proceeded to puke again while she tried to work things out, making calls. It was around 4 am when I knocked on the door (per her call records). She helped me find clothes and tried to drive me to the hospital (I was still puking, a lot, and not stopping) - I puked on the way to her car. Her car broke down but she managed to get it to the house. On the way back in I puked again, twice, near the front door. She kept me awake with stories and my mom was called (great, I know :/).

I don't remember much of the hospital admittance as it still all felt like a dream to me. I remember them asking me about things. Especially the opium, and they thought it was heroin (what??). I remember a balding doctor and some nurse or something in lime green. But it felt like I could barely see. I was not nervous or anxious, I felt mostly just relaxed and tired ("stoned"). I was not having a panic attack. I was given an IV due to "severe dehydration" and hooked up to an EKG. My heart rate was at 213 and I was "tacchychardic". My blood pressure was really high. Both stayed like that for well over 3 hours and only slowly diminished, they told me I was at risk for a stroke. The test results came back positive for marijuana, but not heroin - their guess on what they thought the opium was as according to them there "is no such thing as opium these days........" (they didn't check opium, but as far as I understand there would have been similar things checked as both are opiates - or maybe small amounts of opium don't show up 4+ hours after ingestion?). As I was lying in the hospital I was convinced I was dying. I felt my cheek (one side) tingle and go numb. I thought it was the end as I felt like I was fading away.

I was released at 9am. I felt like I had finally woken up into the last "dream level". I was slightly more coherent then, but it still felt as if it had all been a dream. I went home and slept and was surprised to find a few EKG stickers I had missed taking off still on my chest. It hadn't been a dream at all... My mouth and one cheek still felt tingly on and off throughout the day although it began to fade.

My boyfriend had a cut on his wrist and for a while I was worried I had cut him, as I didn't remember anything clearly, and I was truly worried I had gone insane and there was a lot more I had done besides getting naked, puking, and etc that I did not remember. But he later remembered that it had been there before that night.

I love my roommate, she's a great friend. I have since only smoked once and don't ever want this to happen again. I am curious as to whether anyone else has ever had such a bad experience and what you think may have contributed to it. What happened? I still don't understand. Where did things go wrong? What do you think of this? Was it the combination of opium and weed? The quantity of weed? Was there an adulterant? Is something wrong with me that I can't tolerate even weed (that is what my mom says)?

A friend took the remainder of the brownies and gave some to very-experienced brownie eaters. Every single one puked, each off of only half a brownie. But they did not "trip." This friend and his (female) friend of similar stature to me both had each 1-2 brownies on 4/20 from the organic batch, and while neither puked they did both report feeling the same "trippy" feeling, as if a "dream within a dream" and a similar racing, pounding heart rate.

It was terrifying. Never in my life, of all the times I have been stoned, has this happened. Never has LSD even come close to this. Of everything I have tried this was the most insane mental trip. And the scariest experience.

Last edited:
I'll admit this was TL;DR but I *think* I got the gist

I'm going to go ahead and say it was that blunt of opium that caused your insane trip.

It's at that point you mention things start to go crazy. The opium-blunt and possibly poorly cooked brownies.

I have seen some people freak out on weed as if they're tripping balls, but so rarely and not to the point you described.

I'm almost positive it was the opium and weed mixed that caused this.

Nice read.

At least you know not to be so reckless with edibles. Weed is a powerful drug and should not be taken lightly. It can cause disturbing experiences that will land you in hospital if you're not careful!

I've had similar crazy experiences on edibles myself (and have ended up in hospital like you!)

if you want anyone to read your story you gotta make it at least 1/3 the length. i couldnt even make it through and im gacked the fuck out on adderall right now. going into extreme detail with hallucinations is a waste of time, and your physical symptoms can easily be summed up with words like : nausea, depersonalization, anxiety, headache, disorientation. didnt read all what you said so idk if thats the kinda shit you felt, just saying we dont need full paragraphs describing nausea, or ones describing irrelevant hallucinations- that belongs in Trip Reports. just some constructive criticism, not trying to be mean.

anyways, you smoked opium and took waaaay too fucking much weed orally. lesson learned.

I read the post, it sounds like you ate way too much herb.

When you eat too much herb lots of people do puke, get very confused, and sometimes your heart rate can go up.

I once ate 3g of schwag on some melted cheese and crackers since I naively thought that I'd have to eat that much since I'd been smoking daily all week and I had schwag. I got very stoned and couldn't move and I had bad anxiety when I had forgotten that I'd taken drugs and I thought I was going to die since I had horrible stomach cramps and even puking didn't solve them but thankfully I did not do anything like call 911. Then I remembered eating the Leary biscuits, and I also had times when I passed out and it was like tripping on herb but I didn't see any visuals. I also remember trying to sleep it off but I couldn't fall asleep since it felt like my body was floating and spinning when I'd close my eyes.

Last edited:
yeh u jus ate too much bud. even the most extreme potheads can get WAY too fucked up from eating too much bud.

lol look up on youtube about the stupid pig (cop) and his dumb piglover (wife) cooked up too much and they called 911.
the girl had taken vicodins so she got sick first, n then the cop got too sauced n bitched out.

always remember how many ppl died from marijuana. no matter how intense it gets from eatin, u'll either puke or pass oot.

Sorry to hear about your experience.
Don't let it turn you off on cannabis, instead think of it as a learning experience and don't go overboard in the future...

You ate half an ounce of weed. Of course you freaked out. Oral cannabis never ceases to take people by surprise and totally overwhelm them. This is a trip report, so over to TR it goes. Title edited to fit TR guidelines.

I've had two experiences somewhat similar to this with ingested marijuana. They say you can't overdose on weed but you certainly can when you ingest it - look up THC toxicosis. It is what happened to you.

And ignore all these assbones saying "tl;dr" - some of us like a good story. Thanks for sharing yours.

I've had two experiences somewhat similar to this with ingested marijuana. They say you can't overdose on weed but you certainly can when you ingest it - look up THC toxicosis. It is what happened to you.

And ignore all these assbones saying "tl;dr" - some of us like a good story. Thanks for sharing yours.

Yea I have looked it up but most of what I find is people claiming that there is no such thing as a "THC overdose" or "THC poisoning". And lots of articles about dogs or medical articles about people dying from 6 joints (yea, not possible). It would not benefit me to lie as to what I was told in the hospital. Although I did not smoke much this Spring, I have been a stoner in the past - as in, smoking once or twice every day, nearly all of 2010. I also believe that it is nearly impossible to overdose from smoking marijuana...

That being said, it doesn't change the fact that my heart rate was around 213 (I remember that number on the monitor, and I specifically asked when I was more coherent and they said "above 200") for a few good hours, not as a product of a panic attack. I am a runner, I am definitely on the skinny side, I have no known heart problems (I am a vegetarian as well). But for 3 or 4 hours my heart beat was irregular and very fast and my blood pressure was very high. And by then I wasn't freaking out.

I was asking if this could have been a product of the opium, but the more I look at that the more it seems opium decreases heart rate. Although it can cause nausea...

I didn't just "puke" or "pass out". I came really close to having a stroke. And it was from marijuana. This doesn't mean I won't smoke it again. I already have once. But I just wanted people to know that the whole "you won't overdose on weed" thing is a myth - if you have super strong brownies and eat, say, half an ounce of weed equivalent (if you are already stoned and are really hungry with really strong brownies it can happen! Especially if you have a low body weight) you can have some really negative side effects that won't be just puking or passing out. That may not be an overdose, but the concentration of THC in your system will be rather high. As far as I understand THC metabolizes differently when it is in edibles, as it is already bound to fat - in the cannabutter or oil. So once it finally digests it can reach your bloodstream rather quickly, or that is my understanding - if anyone knows differently feel free to correct me.

I don't study medicine, so I am not sure what of what I find is just bullshit hype to scare people and what is actually medically sound in terms of what happens and what is expected. All I know is what happened to me. I am trying to separate fact from fiction so this doesn't happen again - to me - or anyone else I know. sorry I am so long-winded

You ate way too much fuckin weed in addition to smoking opium...What did you think was gonna happen? That's odd that you didn't come up positive for opiates though, unless they tested specifically for heroin which doesn't seem likely.

Opium...

Yeah, you weren't sold opium. Obviously you didn't test positive for opiates. Ever heard of Laxmi Dhoop incense?

I bet 20 bucks that's what you kids been smokin'.

if you want anyone to read your story you gotta make it at least 1/3 the length. i couldnt even make it through and im gacked the fuck out on adderall right now. going into extreme detail with hallucinations is a waste of time, and your physical symptoms can easily be summed up with words like : nausea, depersonalization, anxiety, headache, disorientation. didnt read all what you said so idk if thats the kinda shit you felt, just saying we dont need full paragraphs describing nausea, or ones describing irrelevant hallucinations- that belongs in Trip Reports. just some constructive criticism, not trying to be mean.

anyways, you smoked opium and took waaaay too fucking much weed orally. lesson learned.

How obnoxious. Your glibness, and the fact that you favor trite and irritating clinical terms like "depersonalization" rather than original descriptions of subjective experience, belie the intellectual laziness typical of somebody "gacked the fuck out on adderall."

Just some constructive criticism. Not trying to be mean.

I really doubt you smoked opium. It's ALMOST impossible to come by in the states. Did they check your blood sugar level?

You might have puked from too much oil and sugar. I rarely like edibles... only a few times in my life have I had a good experience with edibles. Usually they bother my stomach. Also, if you waited all day to smoke, and overdid it in a short amount of time, it would make sense that your senses would become... overlapped? It's important to know what you're smoking... what strains work for you. Some strains make me nervous.... others make me go to sleep....so, you're not completely out of your mind! :)
I smoked opium a few times, but the first time was a complete mix up of reality for me. That night was a dream. I've tripped many many times, (like you) but this opium experience was something else... like if I had taken a xanex and forgotten the night... like...memory loss. Sometimes, your ass just gets kicked... just be careful next time! :) If I were you, I'd try to tune into my body before taking anything in. Just take a second in between puffs...and listen to yourSelf.
In the words of Jerry Garcia... "maybe you had too much too fast" :)

^It wasn't the oil and sugar. Come on. He said himself that he'd eaten that many normal brownies before many times.

Well the reason I say that is because I find that when people make edibles, they just add and add oil and oil, more that the recipe calls for.

That being said, it doesn't change the fact that my heart rate was around 213 (I remember that number on the monitor, and I specifically asked when I was more coherent and they said "above 200") for a few good hours, not as a product of a panic attack.....
I didn't just "puke" or "pass out". I came really close to having a stroke. And it was from marijuana. This doesn't mean I won't smoke it again. I already have once. But I just wanted people to know that the whole "you won't overdose on weed" thing is a myth.

I remember my friend telling me a while ago that she had seen something on the news about how Marijuana *can* cause a heart attack, since it does increase heart rate. However, I wouldn't cause this an "overdose". It's not quite the same, I would call what you experienced more of a bad reaction. Well okay, I suppose I'm just arguing semantics.

However, don't forget even if you didn't test positive for opium, weed wasn't the only drug in your system. You may have peed out urine that was not contaminated with opium yet. Not sure how fast it gets down there.

You did eat an excessive amount of a drug, smoked more on top of it, and also smoked opium. This is not a normal experience with marijuana--so when you say "i almost had a stroke from marijuana" it's not really a fair statement. I feel it's almost like saying "bananas almost killed me" if you had choked on a giant banana. 8) When a person drinks to excess and gets sick, we know that it's because they drank to excess. Same goes for weed, ya know?