European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

RIP Smiley culture

drshitzu

Bluelighter
RIP Smiley culture A true pioneer who scored hits in the 80,s with hits like cockney translation and police officer.

Last edited:
Circumstances sound a little suss, self inflcted injury during police raid? :?

RIP Smiley, I'm glad to have seen you last year, wish I could claim it was an amazing set but still real glad I caught you.

RIP
his music is great!
loved that youtube video with cockney translation playing and lots of pics of hash popping up

amazing. Thought we'd seen the last of these sort of murders.

Don't know why I thought that.

Shocking.

RIP :( absolute legend from a great period of UK music.

I saw him last year at boomtown (guessing thats where you saw him evad) and it was terrible to be honest, he did half of Police Officer then got all the gal dem to dance on stage before preceding to rep some charitable cause. Which I don't remember what it was but I'm sure it was good. Seemed like a genuinely decent guy.

Nah it wasnt shinehead who came out with that style first it was smiley culture he was on saxon soundsystem in the early eighties they were the originators of the fast style chatting that was then copied by the jamaicains and hip hop artists such as busta rhymes etc yeah saxon were definitely influential in the origins of rapping emceeing RIP Smiley

they were the originators of the fast style chatting that was then copied by the jamaicains and hip hop artists such as busta rhymes

tbf though saxon may have been the first to do it in the UK but he wasn't the first jamaican with that style, as busta is jamaican himself I imagine they probs had similar jamaican influences rather than busta copying smiley

Nah totally wrong im afraid firstly smiley was born in london i wasnt saying busta copied smiley im saying saxon were the originators of the fast style chatting the usa wasnt even up on that back in the day im just talking about there influence on hip hop regarding the fast style rapping. The uk always has had a much bigger part to play in reggae than the us who could you name from the usa in reggae hardly anybody im sorry compared to saxon coxsone jah shaka etc no one. also smiley was from saxon who if you know your soundsystems totally dominated the uk soundsytem circiut from about 1978 to 85 trust me as far as mcs go they were invicible! With mcs like daddy colonel sandy rusty papa levi smiley of course they were the dons! Also saxon were truly original in there style of emceeing as they never copied there jamaican counterparts true london style! They sent many a yard sound packing trust me!They did what some uk hip hop artists of today are doing by creating there own unique uk style.

Last edited:
Nah totally wrong im afraid firstly smiley was born in london i wasnt saying busta copied smiley im saying saxon were the originators of the fast style chatting the usa wasnt even up on that back in the day im just talking about there influence on hip hop regarding the fast style rapping. The uk always has had a much bigger part to play in reggae than the us who could you name from the usa in reggae hardly anybody im sorry compared to saxon coxsone jah shaka etc no one. also smiley was from saxon who if you know your soundsystems totally dominated the uk soundsytem circiut from about 1978 to 85 trust me as far as mcs go they were invicible! With mcs like daddy colonel sandt rusty papa levi smiley of course they were the dons!

Go deh! ;)

Nah totally wrong im afraid firstly smiley was born in london i wasnt saying busta copied smiley im saying saxon were the originators of the fast style chatting the usa wasnt even up on that back in the day im just talking about there influence on hip hop regarding the fast style rapping. The uk always has had a much bigger part to play in reggae than the us who could you name from the usa in reggae hardly anybody im sorry compared to saxon coxsone jah shaka etc no one. also smiley was from saxon who if you know your soundsystems totally dominated the uk soundsytem circiut from about 1978 to 85 trust me as far as mcs go they were invicible! With mcs like daddy colonel sandt rusty papa levi smiley of course they were the dons!

I'm talking about ragga/dancehall MCs in jamaica being a big influence on busta and his ilk not MCs in the USA, UK certainly had a big role though

The uk,s role in reggae our heritage is huge after jamdown! You know what as well it took the usa a long time to catch on to reggae/ dancehall they just didnt get it for a long while and i have to say some of the hip hop artists who tryed to chat sounded embarassing back then there accents sounded well dodge take run dmc roots rap reggae featuring yellowman totally wack im sorry from a group as great as them! Also im sorry i think busta lost the plot years ago hes got a long way to reach the heights of scenario etc a true classic!

Last edited:
yeah mos def, uk influence on reggae is undeniable just bustas style is more a product of jamaican toasters and ODB style schizophrenic new york hip hop

Mos def a legend as well definitely bustas style is more early shabba ish and slightly tiger as well and and a bit of major mackerel thrown in for good measure.