Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushroom Season 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
think positive drugfukkdrockstar. Maybe the flooding has helped the spread of the patches. and make it magical shroomies everywhere!

If the flood washed away the bed of material (wood chips, bark, leaves etc.) that contain the mycelium then there may be a bit of an issue, but more than likely there shouldn't be any problems unless there was a strong flow of water.

I have seen my bush patches flooded in early autumn and they produced as usual some 4-6 weeks later.

Either way, you live in Melbourne where the council builds perfect P. subaeruginosa habitats all over the city and it's suburbs so don't stress ;)

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in mushroom hunting around the Darwin area? Where to find them isn't going to be an issue as a mate has been given a map of a few spots in the rural area of where mushrooms are abundant... *apparently* ...

I'm under the impression that the species "Copelandia cyanescens" is available in my area (source: erowid) and grows in cow, buffalo and horse dung. The climate the species enjoys is tropical, but in particular I'd love to know which is the best time of year to go hunting for these?

I've been told by a few people that the start of the wet season, September, in particular, the first rain of the season is the best time to go hunting for these. We still have a good 2 and a bit months of the rainy season to go. But as you may of heard on the news, this season we have smashed all rainfall records thanks to the cyclone that his us last month. We've had more rain in one month than every capital city usually has in an entire year...

Has the amount of rain we've endured ruined my chances of finding any psychoactive mushrooms or is it simply too late in the season? Will I have to wait till the first rains in September to utilize this mushroom map? Thanks so much in advance :)

There's been some good finds in Darwin this season and this should continue for another month or more, although it is coming towards the end of the northern season. Because of the rain, stay away from lower lying areas and stick to well drained places. Anywhere with cows and other large animals will be prime hunting territory. The main species will be cyanescens but you also find cubensis from time to time, usually closer to the start of the rainy season though.

You don't really need a map of locations, just look for the correct habitat and head there a few days after a decent rain event (which is pretty much any day in Darwin over summer) and start looking for shrooms in dung heaps.

Good luck

^ Thanks so much Psilo that's great news! After trying mushrooms at a recent doof in Melbourne, I'd definitely like to do them again, just for something different :) I'll see how the weather is during the week and take a drive on the weekend :)

The northern species (cyans/cubes) will be less dark than what you most likely tried in Melb (subs). The subs are a fair bit more hectic in comparison to the dung loving species. Enjoy the poop fruits ;)

I meant to mention in here a while ago but been forgetting, a close friend of mine who is definately not a bullshit artist and well capable of identifying psilocybe subaeruginosa lives in one of the suburbs that flooded a bit in melbourne a while back. He swears black and blue that a few days after the water cleared up he had a handful of subs pop up on his nature strip.

Ironically our consistent earliest patch to come up is like 2 minutes walking from his house, so I can believe with that level of moisture and the location it is possible, I was certainly surprised when he told me though!

They do rarely appear very early and very late in the year. I have seen them as late as early October in SW Vic in very small amounts and have heard reports of them in Feb in years gone by.

It's extremely rare and I wouldn't bet on it happening too often...

Oh yeah that reminds me, in December of all months my husband spotted some subs near his work! All in a wood chipped garden bed. He totally flipped out, by the time he found them they were pretty dried out.... but alas they were subs! They haven't popped up again since though.

Last edited:
bit off topics guys.

Do magic mushrooms grow in South America and are they sold in shakes or by themselves in bars (or even sold full stop by dealers) like they do in SOuth East Asia?

Do magic mushrooms grow in South America and are they sold in shakes or by themselves in bars (or even sold full stop by dealers) like they do in SOuth East Asia?

Yes, they have been used by ancient South American civilizations for longer than recorded history (estimates are at 10,000+ years). The main species is Psilocybe cubensis, it was actually introduced to northern Australia by the importation of cows from Mexico in the first half of last century.

Mushroom ceremonies are still common place in some parts of South America, I'm not sure if they are sold in shakes like they are in parts of SE Asia but, I'm certain that you can either find them yourself during the wet and humid rainy season or ask a local to hook you up.

South America is the home of naturally occurring DMT producing plants, psilocybe mushrooms, mescaline producing cacti and the tropane alkaloid producing plants datura/brugmansia (deliriant hallucinogens) just to name a few...

The South Americans were some of, if not the first people to use these substances. Only the Siberian shamans that used Amanita and datura (plus a few other substances) thousands of years ago would even scratch the surface when it comes to the use of psychoactive drugs in our far away history.

I believe that some Australian aboriginal tribes must have used psychoactives such as Psilocybe subaeruginosa, it's such a prolific species in southern Australia that has been here many thousands of years and I doubt that one or more tribes would not have used it to some extent. When you kill most of a race while invading their land, you lose a lot of information in regards to these rituals. Tasmania is the only place on earth where a genocide has been completed after all.

End of rant.

Let's stick to the Australian mushroom season guys...

hi all , first of all -great thread, very informative.Looking forward to hunting in the next couple of weeks maybe even earlier-( reports on the corroboree forum of finds in the last few days!?!?, la nina ?? psilonaut-your opinion??).I am a third season hunter/consumer:),(should i get a fuckin badge for that?-methinks yes=D).anywho , maybe time to polish the hiking boots and get out amougst,(sic..)
it , you just never know!! altitude. P.s fuck you leeches:!

^ there is a slim chance that you will find subs from now until late winter, but unless you really enjoy hiking and are prepared to be let down, I would hold off for a little while longer.

A badge for 3 seasons? I consider myself a young hunter and this year will by my 10th season.

Strong insect repellents can help to keep leeches off of you. I can't name the brand, but the best one is Australian made and contains 80% DEET.

Welcome to bluelight :)

^ Psilo I don't think anyone here thinks of you as a young and inexperienced hunter though. :)

What are the chances of my old spots from 3 years ago still fruiting? They were pretty remote, I just hope I can find them again :)

Never pulled them up because I heard snipping them at the base preserves future cobweb stuff under the ground...and always harvested less than 10% (big patches)

edit- cobweb stuff = mycélium

^ Psilo I don't think anyone here thinks of you as a young and inexperienced hunter though. :)

I'm many decades off of needing a walking stick on my hunting missions :p

What are the chances of my old spots from 3 years ago still fruiting? They were pretty remote, I just hope I can find them again :)

Never pulled them up because I heard snipping them at the base preserves future cobweb stuff under the ground...and always harvested less than 10% (big patches)

edit- cobweb stuff = mycélium

You have a good chance of finding them in the same area. You may even find new patches if you go looking for the old ones.

Even patches that have been badly abused over long periods of time will fruit every year but, the amounts produced will be a fraction of that of a well cared for patch.

Good luck :)

Cheers PSM. I'm like a kid before Christmas...it's been way too long.

I'm a big fan of massive night time storms...love watching the lightning light up 6km high storm clouds, tends to make me feel very small. Anyway, was thinking that'd be a pretty awesome experience on a mild-moderate dose of mushrooms. Not quite sure how I'd plan it properly though, storms are hard to forecast.

Rain was awesome enough while tripping so can only imagine what a good storm would be like.

Never pulled them up because I heard snipping them at the base preserves future cobweb stuff under the ground...

Just realised I probably heard this from one of your posts years ago.

Anyone here have any routines/rituals they do for a trip?

Never did it enough to develop any but thinking -
- turn off my phone
- procure some fruit and fruit juice
- have some good music available
- plenty of nangs
- possibly some MJ
- plenty of good vibes.

Christ! said:
I'm a big fan of massive night time storms...love watching the lightning light up 6km high storm clouds, tends to make me feel very small. Anyway, was thinking that'd be a pretty awesome experience on a mild-moderate dose of mushrooms. Not quite sure how I'd plan it properly though, storms are hard to forecast.

Rain was awesome enough while tripping so can only imagine what a good storm would be like.

Thunderstorms are amazing on psychedelics. :)

The first time I had a proper big dose of LSD, I started peaking when the clock ticked over and I was 18 and at that moment rain started pouring from the sky so I stood in it and was drenched whilst feeling very free and happy to finally be in adulthood.

Another time, I was tripping on DOx when the massive thunderstorms hit Brisbane (this was a couple of years ago), and it was very intense. I was like a little kid standing on the deck watching and running inside and being scared when there was close by lightning and a loud thunder clap. My sister thought I was crazy ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.