View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Caffeine death sparks alert by Nottinghamshire coroner

7zark7

Bluelight Crew
[size=+1]Caffeine death sparks alert by Nottinghamshire coroner[/size]
28 October 2010

A coroner has warned of the dangers of taking high doses of caffeine following the death of a Nottinghamshire man.

Michael Bedford, 23, from Forest Town, Mansfield, died in hospital from toxic caffeine poisoning on 9 April.

An inquest heard he had taken two teaspoons of caffeine powder, bought legally from the internet, at a party.

It is recommended that no more than a sixteenth of a teaspoon is consumed. Coroner Dr Nigel Chapman recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-11645363

wow, thats one crappy death. i took 1600mg once and I though I was going to die, my heart was pounding and i was throwing up like crazy. put me off caffeine for a while

It is recommended that no more than a sixteenth of a teaspoon is consumed. Coroner Dr Nigel Chapman recorded a verdict of accidental death.
don't drug dealers get extra time if their client dies? jail the caffeine distributors imho

and the responsible users too

'Strong caffeine products should be banned' says grandmother of overdose victim

A GRANDMOTHER has called for the sale of powerful caffeine powder to be banned after her 23-year-old grandson died from taking too much of the drug.

Michael Lee Bedford, 23, of Fir Tree Close, in Forest Town, Mansfield, died after taking the caffeine, which was the equivalent of 70 cans of energy drink and can be bought on the internet for just £3.29.

Advice on the packet recommends no one should take more than one sixteenth of a teaspoon, but an inquest yesterday heard Michael had taken "spoonfuls".

Full article: http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/n...overdosed/article-2813650-detail/article.html

"A GRANDMOTHER has called for the sale of powerful caffeine powder to be banned after her 23-year-old grandson died from taking too much of the drug."

How can it be "strong" when it depends on the dose?! Arrrrrrgghhhh!

Grandmother of peanut victim calls for ban on peanut products

A Grand mother of, so and so, has called for an end of peanuts after her grindchild died after injesting peanuts,

"nobody should have to go threw this" said the grandmother in tears, picketing outside of the peanut factory with a sign saying "god hates peanuts"

If my friend had ordered what is likely to be reletively pure caffeine powder, it would just be common sense that 2 spoon fulls of pure caffeine might be alot you know?

I guess alot of people are just severely under-educated when it comes to drugs, even legal ones. The death was the own mans fault, its YOUR OWN responsibility to make sure you dont fucking dose too much of a drug and die, not the dealers or whatever.

If someone dies from alcohol poisoning does the responsibility come back to the owner of Jack Daniels or what lol.

And that grandmother, shes just speaking from emotion and not logic. What a silly bastard, who would do that for a buzz lol.

A lot of this is down to the 'Binge Culture' we seem to have in the UK: take as much as you can, whenever you can - whether it be food, money, drugs, alcohol, etc..

I don't like using the term, but it seem more prevalent with the lower-classes. It seems that, as they don't have as much in the way of material goods (or think they don't!) they develop a horde mentality where they take and consume everything they can get their hands on.

Slightly off topic, but there was a piece that links into this in NewScientist a few months ago. It suggests that because of the fact the average life-expectancy is shorter in deprived areas, people from these areas will feel that they have to get everything in life done quicker / faster / earlier. Hence the "I or this food/drug/etc might not be here for much longer, so must have it now!" attitude.

Was this guy just trying to get high? Id have taken that 3 pounds and bought a 5sack of weed and called it a night. I drank 3 red bulls once and literally felt like I did a fat line of some pure coke.

I cant imagine taking teaspoons full of a pure powder of ANY chemical, besides maybe sugar.

This is scarily close to home for me, I live like a 10 minute drive from forest town. This is prime fucking evidence of the kind of people I have to deal with on a day to day basis. >_<

I'd feel bad for the guy but, anyone clever enough to bring money in > pay for internet > find pure caffeine > buy pure caffeiene. Would be fucking clever enough to look up dosages... It's the same with everything thouh, legal or illegal people here will just snaffle it up. :/

Man Dies Of Caffeine Overdose

Updated: Friday, 29 Oct 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
Published : Friday, 29 Oct 2010, 9:43 AM EDT

By NewsCore

A British man died after poisoning himself with two spoonfuls of caffeine powder bought over the internet, local media reported Friday.

Michael Lee Bedford, 23, from Mansfield, central England, was at a party in April when he swallowed caffeine powder that a friend bought online for £3.29 ($5.26), Nottingham Coroner’s Court heard Thursday.

He washed the powder down with an energy drink, and around 15 minutes later began sweating and vomiting blood. He later died at King’s Mill Hospital in Nottinghamshire, central England, the Nottingham Post reported.

The court heard that Bedford ignored the product's recommendation to take no more than one sixteenth of a teaspoon and instead took two spoonfuls of the powder -- ingesting a level of caffeine 70 times more than is usually found in a high-energy drink.

continued at
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/health/man-dies-of-caffeine-overdose-ncxdc-102910

omg, i should be surprised, but i just find myself laughing

seriously, how dumb are some people

more to the point, why is the prevalent attitude "if its legal it cant be bad for me"?

This is really sad. Although a good example of how substances being labeled "legal" or "Illegal" has no correlation to how much the public will understand the safety details necessary to not vomit up blood.