• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Caffeine death sparks alert by Nottinghamshire coroner

^ you might be right, but I think that making substances illegal prevents users for having access to solid information about them, whereas making them legal allows access to that information (and the second step, after making something legal, should be to disseminate said information).

omg, i should be surprised, but i just find myself laughing

Can't say I agree with or understand your attitude here.
I feel that it is a tragedy to lose a human being in such a way.
It has nothing to do with being "dumb", I would argue, but simply uninformed and/or ignorant.
All of us start out that way. Let's have a little compassion for someone who wasn't clear on the dosage of caffeine before a worst-case scenario took his life.

It has nothing to do with being "dumb", I would argue, but simply uninformed and/or ignorant.
All of us start out that way. Let's have a little compassion for someone who wasn't clear on the dosage of caffeine before a worst-case scenario took his life.

At 23 you should know that two spoonfuls of Caffeine is not good for you

I don't really feel sorry.

It's hard for me to feel sorry. There are nearly seven billion people alive on the Earth today. Every minute, hundreds die. One of them did so by shoveling two spoonfuls of pure caffeine powder into an energy beverage. Okay...

What a lack of remorse I'm seeing in this thread. It actually surprises me a bit.

At 23 you should know that two spoonfuls of Caffeine is not good for you

"should" is a funny word.
Some people think that I "should" be a certain way, but I am not, and they get upset with me. I don't think that I "should" be that way.

Some people think nobody "should" use drugs, but I don't agree.

This has caused me to question the use of the word "should".

23 may sound like a fully-grown adult to you, but it sounds pretty young to me. Old enough to kill or die in war, to drink, and to vote, granted, but still very young to have much life experience.

Regardless of the age, someone didn't know or understand the limits. Maybe he thought it was "cut", and only contained a small amount of caffeine. Maybe he was too drunk or high to realize what was happening. Maybe his friend, who bought the caffeine, made an offhand comment like "don't take all of it", meant to be a joke, but he interpreted it as a challenge. Who knows what he might have been thinking?

If he did not understand the typical dosage of caffeine or the makeup of the substance before him, "should" we reserve our pity or sympathy, instead looking down on him, since we, ourselves, would certainly never make such a mistake?

I would prefer to understand the situation as one of my brothers in this world fucking up bad. Poor guy. I feel sorry for his family. Are you saying that he/they don't deserve our sympathy because he didn't know some fact that you, who are on the crew of a drug discussion website, knew?

Is there a list of things people have to know to garner your sympathy? Does the list include anything that you, yourself, don't know, or is it made entirely of facts that you have mastered?

Your sympathy for your fellow human beings sounds very expensive.

I would prefer mine to be cheap, or even free. Having an attitude that I am superior to someone who died because of his mistakes doesn't bring me any joy or peace.

look it's just a very stupid behaviour, people will lack sympathy for someone who treats their own life with contempt...

if i drove down the road at 150mph and wrapped myself around a tree because i thought it was "safe" would i be getting sympathy?

at 23 you probably will have had some experience of caffeine and if you have the capacity to learn from this experience you will know it is very unpleasant and horrible feeling when taken to excess.

i dont think i am superior to anyone i just think that this behaviour is treating your own body with contempt and ignorance. if you dont respect yourself then why will anyone else?

I didnt even know they sold powdered caffeine. Whats the purpose of this? Is it to get high or do you put this stuff in food or something. Its ashame that he died, he figured because its legal, its all good. From the stories I have read, it seems that legal drugs can be as dangerous or even more so than illegal drugs.

What a lack of remorse I'm seeing in this thread. It actually surprises me a bit.

Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me. People are so damn callus and jaded these days. This is a man who died due to a mistake he made while ingesting a chemical. He obviously didn't know the hazard of what he was doing.

That's what this site is for. Harm prevention through awareness and information. If you find humor in this man's death or don't think you should feel the slightest bit of remorse, then you're missing the point of bluelight all together.

You just know these same users would be saying what a tragedy it was if someone died from overdosing on an illegal drug.

The biases are kind of funny around these parts.

One of three scenarios could have occurred-

1) Mr. Bedford took 2 tablespoons? on a bet, in a show of machismo.

2) Mr. Bedford was told that 2 tablespoons? would be safe to take by his friend that purchased the powder.

3) Mr. Bedford wanted to show off, and brazenly bit the bullet without any outside influence on his decision.

I am ruling out suicide of course, because that would be absurd given the party atmosphere Mr. Bedford was surrounded in at the time of his death. Since he is at a party, where there is no alcohol consumption, or illicit drug consumption, then I'm going to assume that most of the people at said party are very drug-naive, and probably still think that smoking banana peels and snorting pixie stix will get you high. Regardless, it is quite sad that this occurred.

The article says that he ignored the company's warning not to take more thatn 1/16 tsp. It's like if someone went and bought 3 grams of heroin, and the dealer was like "you need to be very careful and not use more than .025", and then they went home and banged all 3 grams. Yeah it's sad, but not as sad as the thousands of children who starved to death today. Lots of people overdose on drugs every day. It's sad, but speaking realistically, it's not that big of a deal.

But it does sound like he was pretty clear on the dosage.

The article says that he ignored the company's warning not to take more thatn 1/16 tsp. It's like if someone went and bought 3 grams of heroin, and the dealer was like "you need to be very careful and not use more than .025", and then they went home and banged all 3 grams. Yeah it's sad, but not as sad as the thousands of children who starved to death today. Lots of people overdose on drugs every day. It's sad, but speaking realistically, it's not that big of a deal.

But it does sound like he was pretty clear on the dosage.

If I remember correctly, the article quotes a doctor who describes how small the print is that says the dosage.

Many people make mistakes with dosages, including trained professionals, but when someone dies due to such a mistake, it seems sad to me.
I read that more people die from accidents in hospitals each year in the US than from traffic accidents.
Regardless of what type of accident or who was at fault, a young life was wasted.

You citing the fact that many children starved to death today does little to help your point, as far as I am concerned. People usually use that as a tactic when trying to avoid committing any sympathy or becoming emotionally involved with something. The truth is, in almost all cases, they have not invested any energy or emotion feeling anything at all for the starved children, either, that day/week/month, but they are simply saying that "there is a worse situation somewhere in the world, and therefore I refuse to feel anything about this situation that is not the worst".

This is an argument that keeps one an arm's length from compassion, and therefore from truly living, if you ask me.

You just know these same users would be saying what a tragedy it was if someone died from overdosing on an illegal drug.

The biases are kind of funny around these parts.

I believe that you are on to something here.
Because some people don't respect caffeine as a drug in the way they respect heroin, cocaine, or DMT, they claim not to feel anything when someone overdoses and dies.

Meanwhile, the brainwashed public is exactly the opposite, scorning the death of a heroin user who ODs whereas they feel that a caffeine OD resulting in death is a tragedy.

All drugs are drugs.

The victims are all human beings.

Sad.

If I remember correctly, the article quotes a doctor who describes how small the print is that says the dosage.

Many people make mistakes with dosages, including trained professionals, but when someone dies due to such a mistake, it seems sad to me.
I read that more people die from accidents in hospitals each year in the US than from traffic accidents.
Regardless of what type of accident or who was at fault, a young life was wasted.

You citing the fact that many children starved to death today does little to help your point, as far as I am concerned. People usually use that as a tactic when trying to avoid committing any sympathy or becoming emotionally involved with something. The truth is, in almost all cases, they have not invested any energy or emotion feeling anything at all for the starved children, either, that day/week/month, but they are simply saying that "there is a worse situation somewhere in the world, and therefore I refuse to feel anything about this situation that is not the worst".

This is an argument that keeps one an arm's length from compassion, and therefore from truly living, if you ask me.

You're right about the dosage thing.

Like I said, it's sad. But me not feeling extremely bad about it isn't any less compassionate than me not feeling extremely bad about the other people dying today. It's all sad, the world is a sad place, but that's nature. I don't generally talk about how what a tragedy it is when individual people overdose on drugs, unless I know them, simply because too many people overdose on drugs for that to be a realistic way to live life. You don't do it either, no one does because if you did you'd be constantly mourning. And I feel that the sadness generated by this article is fairly artificial because I don't know the person and because this isn't a very unique occurrence (a drug overdose), none of us really care that much. It just doesn't interest me that much that someone overdosed on a drug. Sure it's sad, but I don't see the point in me feeling all that bad about it, any more then we do (all of us) about every other drug overdose that happens to people completely unassociated about it.

This argument doesn't keep me at arm's length from compassion. It's a realistic argument- thousands of people die every day, we can't all mourn for all of them individually. There's just not really a point to doing it. If I was one of his friends or family members I'm sure I'd be extremely sad. I feel that prolonged sadness is best applied in places where it makes sense.

Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me. People are so damn callus and jaded these days. This is a man who died due to a mistake he made while ingesting a chemical. He obviously didn't know the hazard of what he was doing.

I'm not remorseful because he had access to the information that could have saved him. ANYONE has access to the internet in the 2010s, and therefore anyone has access to Bluelight. He lacked the competence to utilize the harm-reduction services available to him, and it ended his life. Even if he didn't have access to any information about the caffeine powder product, he could have done cautious low-dose initial testing.

I'm remorseful when someone is a fully capable and responsible victim of something out of their own control.

The only reason our species even exists is for the cold and hard reality of natural selection. You all should be thankful that Mother Nature didn't have any sympathy for the humans that didn't have the sharpest wit and the quickest reflexes.

By the way, my argument remains for a DMT overdose, irregardless of the higher status it has in my own life. I resent the accusation of being biased toward users of drugs that I personally hold in high regard.

Last edited:
I wonder if the protocol for reversal of caffeine overdose involves the administration of adenosine.

ebola