• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Caffeinated Booze Four Loko, Not Drugs, Sickened Students at Party

AfterGlow

Bluelighter
ap_four_loko_101020_mn.jpg

Cans of Four Loko are seen on display at a liquor store in Palo Alto, Calif., Oct. 18, 2010. (Paul Sakuma/AP Photo)

By RUSSELL GOLDMAN
Oct. 25, 2010

A highly caffeinated, but legal alcoholic drink was responsible for sickening dozens and sent nine Central Washington students to the hospital, prompting initial police fears that the party-goers had been drugged, police said today.

Police said some 50 students became sick after consuming large amounts of the controversial but legal beverage Four Loko, which combines as much alcohol found in a six pack of beer with as much caffeine in five cups of coffee.

This is the latest incident involving turbo-charged alcoholic energy drinks like Four Loko. Already such drinks are banned on some college campuses and today the Washington State Attorney General Rob McKenna said he would ask the Food and Drug Administration to ban the drinks nationwide.

The university announced at a news conference today in Ellensburg, Wash., that the blood-alcohol content of students ranged from .12 percent to .335 percent. In Washington, 0.08 is the legal limit for intoxication. 0.3 can be lethal.

Nine students were hospitalized after the Oct. 8 party at a house where about 50 people had been drinking.

Police called to the scene of the house party, in Rosyln, Wash., about 30 miles from the university, found young people – many of them women – passed out throughout the house and on the front lawn.

Authorities at the time said they did not believe incident was a result of heavy drinking, but that someone had surreptitiously slipped drugs, possibly date rape drugs, into people's drinks.

Police today said there was no evidence of drugs found, only the energy drink.

"Perhaps even more disturbing," said Chief Steve Rittereiser was that students were drinking beer and vodka in addition to Four Loko.

"It was really scary," Katelynn Allen, a Central Washington University freshman who was at the party but did not drink told ABC News affiliate KOMO-TV.

"Everything was going fine, the music was playing, people were having fun - and then all of a sudden all the girls were puking everywhere," she said. "Girls were outside on their backs."

Nicknamed "blackout in a can" and "liquid cocaine," Four Loko has already been banned from several college campuses after students became ill.

Central Washington President James Guardino announced a campus-wide ban on caffeine-infused alcoholic drinks effective immediately.

The incident "mostly involved freshman college students," McKenna said. "The wide availability of alcoholic energy drinks can be deadly. A 120 pound woman who drinks two cans can reach levels of toxicity."

"Someone drinking alcoholic energy drinks is four times more likely to drive than someone just drinking alcohol," he said.

Attorneys general in New York and New Jersey have also called for federal investigations following incidents involving college students in those states.

"There's no redeeming social purpose to be served by having the beverage," Ramapao College President Peter Mercer told The Associated Press after he banned the drink on his campus when several students became sick.

Calls to Four Loko's manufacture, Chicago-based Phusion Projects, were not returned. But the company recently told ABC News it goes to "great lengths" to make sure its drinks are not sold to underage consumers.

"Our cans feature seven different warnings about the product's alcohol content and the necessity of an ID for purchase," the company said in a statement provided to ABC News. "And we're the only manufacturer to prominently place a 'WE ID' message on our can. We also offer free, point-of-sale materials to stores selling our products that reinforce the importance of asking for identification when selling any alcoholic beverage."

The company says it also does not advertise on Facebook or YouTube because it doesn't want to target young people.

The FDA is currently investigating Four Loko and similar beverages to determine if they are safe and legal.

"FDA intends to evaluate the information submitted by the manufacturers and other available scientific evidence as soon as possible in order to determine whether caffeine can be safely and lawfully added to alcoholic beverages," spokesman Michael Herndon said in an email last week.

link

Apparently it is 12% alcohol by volume which is nothing crazy by far.

Cannot find how much caffeine there is in these things. Articles says as much as 5 cups of coffee. So that could be anywhere between 250 and 500+ mgs.
If that is the case, and you were chugging them like beers, it could get ugly quickly.

Apparently it is 12% alcohol by volume which is nothing crazy by far.

Cannot find how much caffeine there is in these things. Articles says as much as 5 cups of coffee. So that could be anywhere between 250 and 500+ mgs.
If that is the case, and you were chugging them like beers, it could get ugly quickly.

they are pretty much impossible to chug, cause they taste like cough syrup....and not in a good way. I pretty much only drink them cause they are high strength, cheap, and perfect for outdoor parties (raves to all you kiddies)

on proby, for one...alcoholic, for two...and one can is cheaper than just about anything else, only like $2.50 for one

Its not even a full 6 pack. It is almost equivalent to to bottle of wine (minus 50mL).

The alcohol content is high compared to beer, but a bit less than wine.
It is the caffeine that is messing people up.
If one can does have "the equivalent of 5 cups of coffee" = 500 mg or more, then someone drinking two cans could easily be in big trouble.

And what about where the article says
"Someone drinking alcoholic energy drinks is four times more likely to drive than someone just drinking alcohol," he said.

Is that based on some scientific research, or did he pull those numbers out of his rear end?

What happened to all the chicks who claimed they had no more than one shot of vodka and the chaser and then passed the fuck out?

dr_house-_everybody_lies

Fun fact: the European version of Four Loko has wormwood.

they are pretty much impossible to chug, cause they taste like cough syrup....and not in a good way. I pretty much only drink them cause they are high strength, cheap, and perfect for outdoor parties (raves to all you kiddies)

Actually the fruit punch tastes pretty good... or atleast I think so lol.

i work at a liquor store part time and i had never heard of this stuff at the beginning of the month.. we started carrying it the week before columbus day cause everyone was asking for it all of a sudden. we've sold so much of it since then its unbelievable.

im curious as to how this just blew up so fast and why its so big all of a sudden..

shit sucks by the way.. tastes awful and leaves a terrible aftertaste. i did get pretty wasted for like $5 though lol.

i work at a liquor store part time and i had never heard of this stuff at the beginning of the month.. we started carrying it the week before columbus day cause everyone was asking for it all of a sudden. we've sold so much of it since then its unbelievable.

im curious as to how this just blew up so fast and why its so big all of a sudden..

shit sucks by the way.. tastes awful and leaves a terrible aftertaste. i did get pretty wasted for like $5 though lol.

Not to mention simultaneous caffeine and alcohol withdrawal... This shit has a real brutal hangover.

i bought one once after somebody said it was good and got them buzzed i didnt like it ...maybe i messed up by pickin fruit punch i dunno but i will stick to brews

I don't know. But people should not just drink caffeinated drinks in a reckless manner. It's asking for trouble.

One can is too much caffeine , they need to put a warning label for the caffeine, or reduce the caffeine by half.

One four loko can is supposed to be two servings.

Why not just get stacks?
images

This.

Although I haven't heard of stacks, there is a similar product on the market called Earthquake. It's basically the same amount of alcohol as a can of four loko minus the sugar and caffiene. So if you wanna get your swerve on like that I'd stick to one of these. It doesn't taste like juice, but hell, it's beer with lots of alc in it. What do you expect? At least it's not faking it like these god awful energy brews.

Friends in my circle have been drinking four loko's and Joose's for about a year and a half now. I've watched them all expand in size. This is due to four loko having 600+ calories per can.
I must admit, I fell for it at first, and I was hooked on them because of the low price and convenience of just drinking one can and being buzzed.

But I'd recommend people steer clear from this. I've never felt such intense stomach pains as I have from drinking Four Loko. It simply just cannot be good for you.
It's obviously aimed towards the younger drinking crowd with it's cool design and logos.
It also is 23.5 ounces, which is the companies way of getting around some sort of illegality which resides in a 24 oz alcoholic beverage containing caffeine or something to do with the alcohol percentage, I can't recall exactly off the top of my head.
This stuff is bad news. I say this out of experience. Not to mention they all taste horrible in their own way, just with a different color. All the flavors make you gag and then want to get it down as quickly as possible because of the foul taste.
If you want a cheap buzz, get some Earthquake, it's usually located right next to the Four Loko's and Joose's it just doesn't stand out with a "cool, eye-catching" label.
It's also cheaper, around here they go for 1.48.So it's cheaper and better for you than FL's, with the same amount of ALC content.
I'm assuming this "Stacks" is in the same price margin, am I right in assuming this Psychedelic Jay?
Seriously though, Four lokos make you rude, rowdy, and crash hard. All while plumping the young drinker up to be the fat american alcoholic he's already bound to become, just at a quicker pace.

Convenience can be found in other canisters.

Last edited:
banned in some collegedorms,

that means, there are supervisors comming in checking drinkings :O nooo man just making sure you dont got none of that fourloco shit