Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Celibate passion

DJSethNichols

Bluelighter
Celibate Passion
Essay By Kathleen Norris
Celibacy is a field day for ideologues. The feminist theologian Uta Ranke-Heinemann has said that "celibate hatred of sex is hatred of women," and we need only look at newspaper headlines to see how destructive celibacy, practiced under a cloud of self-loathing and denial of the realities of human sexuality, can be. This is unfortunate, because celibacy practiced rightly is not at all a hatred of sex; in fact, it has the potential to address the sexual idolatry of our culture in a most helpful way.
But what about celibacy that works, practiced by people who are fully aware of themselves as sexual beings, but who express their sexuality in a celibate way? Are they perverse, their lives necessarily stunted? Cultural prejudice would say yes, but I have my doubts. I've seen too many wise old monks and nuns whose lengthy formation in celibate practice has allowed them to incarnate hospitality in the deepest sense. In them, the constraints of celibacy have somehow been transformed into an openness that attracts people of all ages, all social classes. They exude a sense of freedom. They also genderbend, at least in my dreams. Sister Jeremy will appear a messenger, a man on horseback, Father Robert as a wise old woman tending a fire.
The younger celibates of my acquaintance are more edgy. Still contending mightily with what one friend calls "the raging orchestra of my hormones," they are more obviously struggling to contain their desires for intimacy, for physical touch, within the bounds of celibacy. Often they find their loneliness intensified by the incomprehension of others. In a culture that denies the value of their striving, they are made to feel like fools, or worse.
Americans are remarkably tone-deaf when it comes to the expression of sexuality. The sexual formation that many of us receive is like the refrain of an old Fugs song: "Why do ya like boobs a lot--ya gotta like boobs a lot." The jiggle of tits and ass, penis and pectorals, assault us everywhere--billboards, magazines, television, movies. Orgasm becomes just another goal; we undress for success. It's no wonder that in all this powerful noise, the quiet tones of celibacy are lost; that we have such trouble comprehending what it could mean to dedicate one's sexual energies in such a way that genital activity and procreation are precluded. But celibate people have taught me that celibacy, practiced rightly, does indeed have something valuable to say to the rest of us. Specifically, they have helped me better appreciate what it means to be married and at the same time allowed me to explore and savor, outside of marriage, passionate friendships with men and women.
Monastic people are celibate for a very practical reason; the kind of community life to which they aspire can't be sustained if people are pairing off. Even in churches in which the clergy are often married--Episcopal and Russian Orthodox, for example--their monks and nuns are celibate. And while novices may be carried along for a time on the swells of communal spirit, when that blissful period inevitably comes to an end, the loneliness is profound. One gregarious monk in his early thirties told me that just as he thought he'd settled into the monastery, he woke up in a panic one morning, wondering if he'd wake up lonely every morning for the rest of his life.
Another monk I know regards celibacy as an expression of the essential human loneliness, a perspective that helps him as a hospital chaplain, when he is called upon to minister to the dying. I knew him when he was still resisting his celibate call--it usually came out as anger directed toward his abbot and community, more rarely as misogyny--and I was fascinated to observe the process by which he came to accept the sacrifices that a celibate, monastic life require. He's easier to be with now; he's a better friend.
This is not irony so much as grace, that in learning to be faithful to his vow of celibacy, the monk developed his talent for relationship. Celibacy is not a matter of the will disdaining and conquering the flesh, but a discipline requiring what many people think of as undesirable, if not impossible--a conscious form of sublimation. Like many people who came into adulthood during the sexually permissive 1960s, I've tended to equate sublimation with repression. But my celibate friends have made me see the light; accepting sublimation as a normal part of adulthood makes me more realistic about human sexual capacities and expression. It helps me to respect the bonds and boundaries of marriage.
Any marriage has times of separation, ill health, or just plain crankiness, in which sexual intercourse is ill-advised. And it is precisely the skills of celibate friendship--fostering intimacy through letters, conversation, performing mundane tasks together (thus rendering them pleasurable), savoring the holy simplicity of a shared meal, or a walk together at dusk--that help a marriage survive the rough spots. When you can't make love physically, you figure out other ways to do it.
One reason I enjoy celibates is that they tend to value friendship very highly. And my friendships with celibate men, both gay and straight, give me some hope that men and women don't live in alternate universes. In 1990s America, this sometimes feels like a countercultural perspective. Male celibacy, in particular, can become radically countercultural if it is perceived as a rejection of the consumerist model of sexuality. Ideally, in giving up the sexual pursuit of women (whether as demons or as idealized vessels of purity), the male celibate learns to relate to them as human beings. That many fail to do so, that the power structures of the Catholic church all but dictate failure in this regard, comes as no surprise.
What is a surprise is what happens when it works. A woman pulling herself together after being raped feels safe around men for the first time in months; the monastery guest quarters is a place where the violence of rape is unthinkable. An obese and homely college student is astonished to find herself popular with monks her own age, being listened to with as much interest and respect as her conventionally pretty roommate. An elderly woman revels in being treasured, not despised, for the wrinkles on her wise old face. On my fortieth birthday, as I happily blew out four candles on a cupcake ("one for each decade," a monk in his twenties cheerfully proclaimed), I realized that I could enjoy growing old with these guys. They were helping me to blow away my fears of middle age.
The attractiveness of the celibate is that he or she makes us feel appreciated, enlarged, no matter who we are. With someone who is practicing celibacy well, we may sense that we're being listened to in a refreshingly deep way. This is the purpose of celibacy, not to attain some impossibly cerebral goal mistakenly conceived as "holiness," but to make oneself available to others, body and soul. Celibacy, simply put, is a form of ministry--not an achievement one can put on a resume, but a subtle form of service to to others. In theological terms, one dedicates one's sexuality to God through Jesus Christ, a concept and a terminology I find extremely hard to grasp. All I can do is to catch a glimpse of people who are doing it, incarnating celibacy in a mysterious, pleasing, gracious way.
When I first met a man I'll call Tom, I wrote in my notebook, "such tenderness in a man . . . and a surprising, gentle, kindly grasp of who I am." (Poets aren't used to being listened to, let alone understood, by theologians.) As our friendship deepened, I found that even brief, casual conversations with him would often inspire me to dive into old, half-finished poems in an attempt to bring them to fruition.
I realized, of course, that I had found a remarkable friend, a Muse. I was also aware that Tom and I were fast approaching the rocky shoals of infatuation, a man and a woman, both decidedly heterosexual, responding to each other in unmistakably sexual ways. We laughed a lot; we had playful conversations as well as serious ones; we took considerable delight in each other. The danger was real, but not insurmountable; I sensed that if our infatuation were to develop into love, that is, to ground itself in grace rather than utility, our respect for each other's commitments--his to celibacy, mine to monogamy--would make the boundaries of behavior very clear. We had few regrets, and yet for both of us there was an underlying sadness, the pain of something incomplete. Suddenly the difference between celibate friendship and celibate passion was clear to me; at times the pain was excruciating.
Tom and I each faced a crisis that spring--his mother died, I suffered a disastrous betrayal--and it was the intensity of these unexpected, unwelcome experiences that helped me to understand that in the realm of the sacred, what seems incomplete or unattainable may be abundance, after all. Human relationships are by their nature incomplete--after twenty-one years, my husband remains a mystery to me, and I to him, and that is as it should be. Only hope allows us to know and enjoy the depth of our intimacy.
Appreciating Tom's presence in my life as a miraculous, unmerited gift, helped me to place our relationship in its proper, religious context, and also to understand why whenever I sought him out to pray with me, I'd leave feeling so much better than when I came. This was celibacy at its best, a man's sexual energies so devoted to the care of others that a few words could lift me out of despair and give me the strength to reclaim my life. Abundance indeed. Celibate love was at the heart of it, although I canÕt fully comprehend the mystery of why this should be so. Celibate passion-elusive, tensile, holy.
Anyone have any thoughts on celibacy?
Views?
Know some celibates personally....examined behavior?
[ 12 September 2002: Message edited by: DJSethNichols ]

Personally, I'm against it. But then I am pathologically addicted to sex. We all have our flaws.
As a personal side-note, I notice that my personality goes through a VERY dramatic shift after sex. Before, when I'm horny, my priorities are so much different than immediately (and for an hour or day or two) after sex. It is like I have two personalities. At one moment in time, nothing matters to me so much as being able to press flesh with a sexually attractive female.
Immediately (mere seconds) after orgasm, I wonder why I made such a big deal of it, I view sex as a relatively unimportant activity and I think that what really matters is friends, family, finding some one I can talk to and laugh with. Basically, there are two of me that want completely and totally different things out of life and the one in charge depends almost entirely on how long it has been since I had sex. Sometimes it seems like a form of insanity or multiple personality disorder, like the "sober" (in this context meaning not horny) me awakens sweating and lying on top of some girl who I have nothing in common with and is trashy and not all that attractive and now I have to deal with getting rid of her and I am pissed at my "non-sober" self who put me in this position. It is a big problem for me, like how can I possibly move forward and create a life for myself when my two selves have totally different personalities and want totally different things out of life?
~psychoblast~
[ 12 September 2002: Message edited by: psychoblast ]

what kinds of things do you think about before sex when you're 'horny'....as compared to the thoughts that fly after sex...'fulfillment'?
different?
I noticed something similar when I had girlfriends in the past... Many times I found sex to drain my excitement towards her...when she was a great friend...it affected that as well.
Good luck with your battle of understanding between the 'sober' & 'non-sober' halves :)
A new kind of control may come from the achieval?

Hmmm, I just got out of a wretched relationship (just, hmmm, 9 months ago, still scarred), and have been celibate through that entire time...honestly...I find the longer I go without sex, the less of a big deal it is. And there are relative advantages to treating no human being as a sex object (usually when I've got a girlfriend, barring some unfortunate circumstances she desires sex as much as I desire sex and thus I'm satisfied sexually, so I don't look at other women as sex objects, but invariably the sex drive is displaced upon her). But right now I'm at a stage where I'm not stressing over things I used to think I couldn't live without, meat, girls, alcohol, drugs...I feel more at peace, and more peaceful...but sometimes the loneliness of not being as intimate with anyone as I used to be is almost overwhelming...I think though I want to try a whole year without sex (it's been long ago since I did that) before I go back.
If anything, celibate life isn't more passionate, it's calmer, more peaceful, serene. Pleasant, sort of. Sex, after all, isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I have experienced the same...
agreed on your value description as well...
I have gone 2 years now without sex...but I have not broken away from the self prescribed totally yet...still young...quite a beast in there ;)
But I have built great intimate relationships with numerous girls (guys are not open to that kind of thing to much...with other guys)...sex isn't a part of the agenda..or in the mind behind actions (atleast not mine...for what I know, but I can feel they are on the same wave)....I do percieve people differently and more balanced.
Not sure if this can fully be attested to celibacy or not...but it seems so. Just feeling my way through life and the choices...while keeping an open mind to alterations as experiences are felt and learned from. Living life as a personal experiment...
[ 13 September 2002: Message edited by: DJSethNichols ]

I think sex drive is related to the ego. I used to be quite egotistical, and still can be at times, until I took my first pill. The feeling of ecstasy is likened to the afterglow after sex, a state in which your ego drops its guard. After about two years of use and quitting (its been 3 months now), my egotism still hasn't returned. Perhaps it'll stay this way, it feels like I've been changed forever. I don't know.
The strange thing is is that I've noticed my drive dropping off aswell which led me to the above conclusions. At a rave the atmosphere is definately not like that of a coke-club or bar - ecstasy = ego loss = sex drive loss = bringing the best out of everyone.
"I lost my ego with e & go"
Just my angle. :)

First when reading this post I thought celibacy could be constraining a natural human emotion... but then again why is that so wrong? Sometimes I get the urge to hurt someone, but then I rationalize that urge. Same could go for the desire for sex. The ability to rationalize human emotions is an extrodinary trait in humanlife; and can be used in resiting from becoming 'drunk' with sex.
I see many people that are celibant outlet their desire to express love through acts for other people; for they don't have the outlet of sexual intimacy. However, when a person isn't really devoted to celibacy, and feels like he/she HAS to be celibant... bad things happen (we all know about the priests).
I agree, I am more at peace when I'm not having sex on a regular basis. I feel more in control of my emotions, my sex drive, and in general my life.
GREAT ARTICLE!!!!! :D

Honestly, I didn't CHOOSE to be celibate, my gf broke it off, and really fucked me up inna head in the process (lots of drama), and when girls tried to get intimate with me (even a kiss or a date), I sort of freaked out. Intimacy became this thing a couple of months ago that really was hard for me to cope with.
I remain celibate partly for that reason, and also partly because I have no desire to immerse myself in the sex game any longer.
In a lot of institutionalized cases, I think the people becoming celibate are doing so because it's a hard thing for them to do, becaues they don't want to and they somehow think denial will make them better. It doesn't. It just binds them up with frustration and longing. Being celibate is fantastic for those who don't really seek it, for the rest it seems to be torture. (Wow, if THAT isn't a buddhist idea...) So I don't reccomend anyone BECOME celibate, I just hope that someday you can all get somewhere where you don't need sex any longer.

yes I knew it wasn't a choice for you...
For me it was a self realization...and I felt that this was the way for me...
so it isn't torture at all (but it isn't easy of course)...it is strengthening and very beneficial to myself and the world that is growing around me...It's something I feel I should do for myself..and the spirit (God) that lives and ignites inside of me.
my true love

Nads...nice perspective, I think you hit the nail on the head with the effects of E..
I was never heavily into E...but I have had it on occassion...It does help one to step into that state of mind and perception of the people in presence...It's an 'all connectedness' feeling...that possibly COULD be real if people were to all reach this state of thinking in real everyday life (sober)?
dunno...
I hear a lot of people say things while on E...and it all just sounds like things they will have no recollection of the following day...they will be to focused on how 'drained' they feel that the 'epiphanies' (of the the night past) will just fade from memory and heart. Just saying that drugs can only show you things...they can't make you carry them out...but the moments you have that you remember and feel...they can change you in instants (not saying you always forget drug experiences....it can be synthetic feeling though)
I find that the same state of mind you describe as the E phase...can also be reached when one exerts themselves in dance...and trully finds the wave/groove of the music...and having other individuals around you in the same state of action and mind...it's a connected feeling...and it is pure in thought. Smiles are shared...non-verbal connections are made.
Names aren't important...location isn't important...the moment is important. It builds our heart and healthens our perception.

OH, yeah, definitely, if you can choose because it feels right, then do so.
I just worry about what I guess you'd call "catholic priest syndrome," where celibacy is forced and it is an effort to deny oneself. I really do not agree with asceticism. It just hurts people more from what I've seen.
A definite part of the good party vibe is the nomeatmarket thing. How much that's attributable to E, and how much that's attributable to being totally lost in the music and lights is debatable I suppose.

^^ Yeah, I wonder how many pickup lines have been washed away by tsunamis of bass?
I just watched the movie "40 days and 40 nights" on the weekend. Has anyone seen it? Its a light comedy about a guy who chooses to go celibate for 40 days to get over his g/f.
I've got a bunch of psychological theories for celibacy, but they're mostly assumptions so I'll leave them out. It's great for those who find it but should not be forced or sought after: Kind of like all personal journeys really.

psychological theories for 'why' someone would choose celibacy?
Or psychological effects that celibacy has on an individual?
or both?
I believe 'assumptions' are stated quite often in this forum....it's all part of the learning process ;)

Yeah, nads, don't hold back. I won't get offended. In fact, I'm thinking very seriously about losing the celibacy for awhile...just might be the right person at the right moment.
Again, though, I think it can't be stressed enough that the difference between finding and forcing celibacy is immense, and the psychological consequences could be immense.
Admittedly, my celibacy was originally a defense mechanism for not having to deal with a very painful break up (or perhaps a response to the scarring of that break up that instilled a fear of sex that I'd never experienced before), perhaps not the healthiest way to find celibacy.

By Seth:
psychological theories for 'why' someone would choose celibacy?
Or psychological effects that celibacy has on an individual?
or both?
The first. I'm looking at celibacy as a behaviour which are always 'expressions' of a cause. Behaviours affect others but not the originating person as they usually are not aware of it.
Alright then I'll have a go.
The first idea I got was from the movie above where the female characters thought he was doing it for power. In relationships there is usually one person who wants sex more than the other. Some use this to their advantage and make the other do something first (like taking out the garbage or something) before they 'put out'. After the break up of these two, the one with more libido might use this power as a boost to self-esteem as breakups often affect both people badly. This isn't genuine celibacy though. Radikal, I think you answered your own question there.
Another reason could stem back to upbringing, which is often a cause of personality types. A healthy respect for the opposite sex via example would mean less need for dominance over them later on in life. Sex is a play of dominance/submissiveness and when two people have no want to dominate over each other, a plutonic relationship can be established. This one can be overturned by attraction though and would be largely affected by hormone levels (next paragraph).
Ego loss, like my post above, is most likely. Not necessarily because of drug use, moreso because of an open-mind and a sense of a higher purpose in life rather than following your animalistic instincts. I think testosterone/estrogen have a big part to play, these hormones do affect your sex drive and perhaps a lower level of these means you're less prone to the instincts and more open minded. In fact, I believe all ego-influenced behaviours are a direct result of these hormone levels, and some have lower levels than others.
To go in further, I'll draw upon a theory of homosexuality. I've studied hierarchal behaviours of same-sex cattle in overpopulated situations and learned that it is the overpopulation that makes some cows/bulls mount each other. The mounting was seen as a 'daring' dominating move in the hierarchal ladder as only those very high in the order would mount those very low in the order. Those in the middle stay well out of it and this is where I think celibate people are. With the breaking down of sex stereotypes and increasing population densities in the cities, we're creating for ourselves a dense, unisex population similar to these cattle. I don't know any statistics on hormone levels so I'll assume a normal distribution. This leaves most people in the middle ground while the two extremes openly engage in sexual behaviours. The closing of personal space restricting the majority's sexual behaviours simply because it's personal.
And lastly, diet. Meat is known to raise testosterone levels (and raise chances of male conception) and is also more expensive to buy than vegetables. Again no proof, but I think more and more people are becoming vegetarians and the price of meat is rising more and more. This trend, if real, would shift the testosterone distribution towards the submissive end perhaps making an uneven curve where more people are 'waiting' to be picked up than there are people actively picking them up. These 'waiters' would for all intents and purposes be celibate.
In conclusion, there is a very small proportion of celibate people sitting between the middle and lower hormone level groups of the population who aren't deficient enough to 'need' someone to come and 'rescue' them, but also not sufficient enough to give it a go when the situation eases up on repressing their sexual behaviour. As levels fluctuate depending on circumstance, (like diet and other environmental factors) I'd expect most celibates to pass to and from either middle or lower groups or both at various stages of their life. Population trends may also push more people than normal into the so called 'celibate zone'.

Interesting, but they may not all be so separate options. And perhaps the psychological effects go so deep as to effect the physical.
This weekend I ended up in two situations (w/o getting too personal, one involved wrestling around with a girl I really dig, winding up with her sitting on my groin pinning my arms to the ground, the other involved being approached in a club, and massaged, hit on, and kissed by a very attractive woman whom I did not know), both of which would normally have made this 19 year old male rather aroused. Only they didn't. No stirring, no faster heart rate, no flushing, as far as I know (not like I checked) no dilation of the pupils. However, that night my dreams were vividly pornographic in a manner that I'm not at all used to. Not to get too psychoanalytical on myself, but it should be clear that there is some sort of relationship between the non-arousal in the situations and the extreme arousal when locked in unconsciousness. (In fact the incident at the club made me very angry at the time, opposed to making me aroused, meat markets work both ways, and waaaaay back when the rave scene wasn't dying an agonizing death, I never had to put up with one, I was so pissed I left, and it wasn't yet 2).
But on the subject of meat, this is a very interesting idea to me. Since my break up, I've gone from carnivore to vegetarian to vegan (mostly, when I'm sick I'll still drink chocolate milk, it's cheating, I know, but it makes my throat hurt less, and soy milk is garbage). Now obviously you get to skimp out on some of the things that meats contain when you become an herbivore (like the b-12 that I don't get enough of that I must remember to ask someone about), are testosterone base chemicals there in enough concentration to make any difference?
Though I do love the Foucaultian idea of micro-politics, I'm not sure it always works in sex. Some people have sex just to feel orgasm (I'm sure that master/slave complex plays a part in some relationships, but you must admit, orgasm just feels nice on its own). Orgasm with another human being is better than masturbation, there's a whole series of sensations to explore, the feeling of aanother's skin on your skin as pre and post orgasmic skin becomes more sensitive, pheromones released, etc. So it is possible, I think that in say a hippie casual sex environment two people are just having sex to achieve orgasm as if it were any other drug, and in the environment of a committed, loving relationship, you have sex not only because of the pleasure but because it brings you to a feeling of closeness with the other. I'm not sure if this is what you mean by hormones, or not.
I think, too, that if sex as dominance/submission is not necessarily the case (though it may often be), and it's not always hormonal (psychological factors can affect the hormonal, as in my case-in-point), it may perhaps be ego-loss, but that's not necessarily true either, some people find ego loss in the act of sex, and there's that fabled moment after orgasm where you don't want sex anymore, I feel closer to my partner than ever imaginable, but I still want more sex.
Granted using myself as the primary case study is NOT a good way to approach the subject, but the fact remains that I haven't had sex with anyone in about (wow!) 11 months (just note my earlier post about having gotten out of the relationship just over 9 months ago, fucked-up bitch), and have no particular desire to, and when put in desire eliciting situations, I tend to NOT feel desire, but, occasionally (though it may not be related) repulsion. Some would say I have evidence of psychological malfunction, but it in fact HELPS rather than hinders my everyday life, and generally I'm happier for it. Or I was until I had to start thinking seriously about why. Now it's buzzing around in my head that this is just another way that evil bitch won (dominance/submission!).
[ 16 September 2002: Message edited by: theLoneRadikal ]

Low protein diets lower the bioavailability of testosterone.
bbc article Only link I could find.
Also, zinc is a precursor of the hormone and is abundant in meat and seafood. But there are vegetarian foods that can replace these sources, its just that the awareness of them isn't there and many vegetarians are eating less protein and zinc than meat eaters. Tofu, soy beans, pulses (beans), and seafood are good alternate sources of protein.
What I meant by the dominance/submissive hormone thing was in a picking up or dating situation where your initial impression making, or lack of, is a reflection of your hormone levels. As for the act itself, I've heard that the one who is submissive in the relationship often is the dominant one in the bedroom. Though it is only hearsay.
The psychological effects of celibacy would be comparing oneself to current social attitude towards the collective idea of a 'celibate'. We also tend to look to what others are doing as a guide to ourselves, its called the normative hypothesis, and has been supported by many studies. Basically, as a minority group among a population of engaging sexual animals, celibates are torn between following popular culture and abstaining. Though at most times there is no tension, it happens from time to time.
I just thought of something else. Do you both, Seth & Radikal, consider yourselves to be non-conformists, and as such have removed yourselves from the social norm of dating & sex to give a sense of unique identity?
You might consider opening a topic in SLR or Life on this. You'd get a wider range of replies. :)

I'm a non-conformist, but I fell into celibacy. No trying to be there. And I simply don't desire sex like I used to.
I see what you're saying about testosterone levels (but I eat all those foods, except for seafood, I'm a vegetarian out of compassion, after all), just wondering if it was enough to make a difference in the sex drive. And it really is not hard to eat enough protein being a veghead, not hard at all.
Ahhh, I understand the dominance submission thing, and I guess it makes more sense, but as a celibate, I don't exactly go on "dates" anymore...not like I ever did in the first place, though (really more of a hanging out together kinda guy, no formal dating or any of that constrictive nonsense).
Another thought along these lines, I notice that I DO feel more serene and universally compassionate being celibate. You hinted at a belief that ego-loss can bring about celibacy.
Dya think it's possible that celibacy can help bring about ego-loss?

I'm pretty sure its the other way round. I think ego loss causes celibacy, if celibacy caused ego loss you'd have an ego to begin with and then have to force celibacy on yourself over the ego's desires. I think in your case, a slight regression after the breakup followed by reinforcement of celibacy via the inner peace you found brought you to your current state.
You mentioned elsewhere that you're a bhuddist. The religion teaches us to remove our egos doesn't it? The draw of spirituality excludes instinctive feelings and sensations, and later, physical perception in its effort to rise above the human condition. Perhaps celibacy is like a side-effect of the bhuddist's journey toward enlightenment. Do you meditate? Do you have insights? Do you feel sexual pursuiting is a waste of energy, or you'd rather find close friends and let it grow from there?

yes I do believe I am a non-conformist...
In a small way the idea of 'unique identity (minority identity/way of life)' intrigues me more towards this way...but it is surely not the grounds...
I 2 am slowly walking towards a 'vegetarian' diet... I have just recently converted to Soy milk as replacement to regular milk (out of care for animals, and the health of my body and what I put into it). I very rarely eat red meat...I will eat chicken and tuna somewhat regularly (but I may drop that soon as well).
Nads: To answer your last questions (geared towards LoneRadikal)..
I do meditate (and practice reiki)...
I am overflowing with insights...I often find myself thinking out the systems of our nature and its' ways. I am often the 'go to guy' amongst friends for guidance on personal issues...and spirituality.
I do find sex to be a waste of energy...and fire to be rekoned with (as well I find that the fluid loss is actually an important factor as well). I find much more worth in non-physical 'deep' connections with individuals...I find more satisfaction in hugging and cuddling with others. I enjoy not choosing people...instead just living as an open invitation to all.