• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

picking up "vibes"

Goavibe604

Bluelighter
I have these uncontrolable feelings that i get from absolutely everything. Anything thats real thats around me makes me feel different, especially people. Sometimes i can even tell exactly how a person is without even knowing but just by watching them move, talk, and just do what they do. And the feeling is really powerfull. It makes me change. I'll notice myself, talking differently, feeling differently, almost as if I am completely adjusted to whatever and whoever is around me. And because of this every single friend that i have considers me an extremely close and valuable friend. Its like i have everything in common with everybody and can understand how they think, and how to help them deal with certain things in their life. This goes for everybody except people who are extremely materialistic and ego-based people with social masks. I dont' bother having any kind of relationship with any of those kind of people unless i see that they have potential to be something deeper then just fake idiots who wouldn't understand anything because of how shallow and narrow-minded they are. I'm always stopping fights between people because i see that they just dont' understand each others point of view.. so i just sit down and explain their points of view to each of them, then usually its over. Because of all of this i feel like i'm superior to these people. I know that in the long run i'm not, because everybody here is of equal importance whether their a gas station worker, or a CEO of a huge corporation, but i can't help it, thats just how i feel. Also, i feel like i'm extremely alone, and that nobody understands me, and i can't tell or explain to anybody my point of view. They'll sit there and be like, yea i understand, i see your point of view, but i know they have absolutely no idea what i'm talking about, and i can't tell them because they think they allready understand. Anyways, this post totally went into a different direction from what i originally intended it to be.. but watever, i guess i'm just hoping that somebody out there in this online community feels the same way.. and this post will show both me and them that they're not alone and that there are other people out there just like them. Also, if there is anybody out there that has a more detailed idea of why these strange feelings occur or you just want to say wats up. Please get in touch with me...i'm very interested in finding out all about this kind of stuff.
My e-mail is "[email protected]" and AIM is "Iseetrails604"
peace
------------------
An integral being knows without going, sees without looking, and accomplishes without doing.

amazing.
I have thought the exact same things many times previous.
I have been in many situations where my personality seems to do some kind of small yet significant adjustment when in the presence of certain individuals. I will find myself saying...'where did this 'me' come from'...haha.
And I know what you mean about reading people. I can sense emotions and intensity in people many times. And in a sense I can feel a piece of their general story just through my observations of their movements and physical personality...and if I do talk to them...the way they speak, and the kinds of words they use.
So...I guess you and I both are not completely alone on this...haha.
I am glad to have this kind of intuition though. I don't take my intuition as fact...but it is a nice point of guidance when facing such a varied amount of interactions with different people, and different places. My mind and heart has a fresh openess with any individual...it is up to them wether it stays that way.

Thats a really nice post goavibe,
I feel the same thing but fortunately I share this gift with my brother. We are very close and im pretty sure we both got this from our mom. But anyhow, Ive found that X has a tendancy to make people more sensitive in this way so that ive become very close with my raving friends. Good luck finding someone you can be spirutally in-tune with.

i've recently started taking much more notice of my intuitions about people, because they are often startlingly correct. like Seth, i don't take any of my 'guesses' as fact, but i don't deny them anymore either. the sort of things i notice are interactions between people, what peoples motivations are and that sort of stuff.
i think i started noticing this more since i did drugs yeah, but it's usually more noticable when i'm stoned... when i'm stoned i can see complete strangers in the street and i just _know_ tons about them.. whether they have kids, what sort of job they do, whether they are happy or not... course, i've no idea how accurate they are, because i've never plucked up the courage to go over and ask 'em!!!
people engage in a lot of non-verbal communication without realising it... body language can be really very, very subtle, and pheromones (sp?) and stuff. i think a lot of these vibes could just be ultra aware of these other aspects. i don't rule out other less scientific reasons though...

Similar things happening with me twiddlebug. And it does happen when I'm stoned much of the time...but the same kind of thing happens when I'm sober...but it just feels and talks differently to me.
But I believe weed is a feeling enhancer. I think it opens up a whole new kind of reception to the world around you. To the extent that you can trully feel the truth of a situation...even if you have seen the situation before (you were just numb to it because we are 'used' to it)..it is felt in a different way when stoned. Or so it seems....I think this also goes along with heightened awareness.
And I totally feel ya on the guts to act upon your thoughts and pop a question or start a conversation with someone you have curious thoughts about. I only wish I had the guts to act more than I think...haha. It sure would be a release...but at the same time...I could piss someone off. Not because I would be mean to them at all...but maybe because of the uncomfortable situation I may put them in....it might kind of freak them out..and they may act irrationally..hehe.

Try reading "The Seducer's Diary," the last essay in Either/Or Part I from Soren Kierkegaard. It is a very good introduction to metaphysics and an exploration into the relations that exist between you and everything around you, most importantly and specifically your relationships (in a loose sense) with people.
The sensitivity that you have towards those relationships has a practical/intellectual aspect in addition to the emotional aspect that you have already experienced. Coming to understand how your mind works in this way, as well as coming to understand your mind's capacity for this kind of thought, can make you even more sensitive to other people in a good way :)
Nice post, best of luck and best regards.
Spinkle

Wow, Goavibe I'm just like you and can understand your experiences 100%.I have friends who are quite 'posh' and friends who are 'street people'.And am able to talk to many kinds of people - they always are trying to relate to me things and asking my advice.I have that same feeling as you of somehow thinking that I'm superior when I know that in many ways I am far from it.
Also quite like you I feel really very alone, and that I'm the only one on this planet - it is very scary, and I feel like a freak and that no one does understand me.

Goa, your post could have been copied directly from my own thoughts...
As long as I can remember, I have been able to "read" people within a short time of knowing them...not judge, just read...what makes a person tick, how their mind works, how they see the world...
And like you, it has made me the ultimate problem solver for my friends, the girl who always understands everything...while very few people understand me. It also makes it very easy for me to get taken advantage of; its hard to stay angry at someone when you can get in their head and see *exactly* what thought process it was that led them to say or do whatever it was that upset me in the first place...
I firmly believe that this sort of ability is common to all people...but the way we're forced to live in the western world does its best to discredit and devalue anything that is not markedly scientific. To talk about things like instincts, hunches, intuitions, signs, or even prescience (sensing that things are going to happen before they do, placing signifgance on dreams, that sort of thing) is considered silly, frivilous, new-agey babble...so most people ignore or dismiss these abilities when they do manifest themselves...
I hope this made sense...I'm pretty much wiped out from finals week :)

exactly greyspace.
our society does blast on those points you made. And really doesn't give them much chance to fly in the minds of others due to what we've been told/shown in our lifetimes in general.
And I think that what we are discovering here is that we all have a general understanding of all people. And it is this understanding that gives us the ability to look past the surface and only take to heart the substance of a person. So we can take peoples actions and words for what they trully are....that being they are triggered by mental root issues that have not been dealt with properly by individuals....and it shines through their personalities in a good or bad way. And since we have this kind of understanding from an outside perspective of a person....we can devise plans/systems of attacking the problem....more than likely better than they can themselves.

You know, I've often wondered why it is that so many people are so afraid of these ideas.
If I choose to believe in a some bearded, white haired guy sitting up in the sky, surrounded by angels and cherubs and ruling over the universe, I'm a respectable Christain.
If I express an interest in astrology or the possible implications of trusting instincts or interpreting dreams, I'm completely crazy.
Hmmm....

I think only a few humans truly know themselves, to say nothing of other people.
In all honesty, I'm having difficulty seeing how one can tell the difference between "vibes", and just being highly perceptive of body language and general patterns of human behavior. People who claim to be able to read other people, I doubt would be able to support that claim if it ever came down to a rock solid Q&A session--that is, if they had to guess what answer person X put on his or her answer sheet for the asked question about personality or past history. So maybe vibes that turn out to be correct are just examples of when the brain connects deduction with heuristics ("rules of thumb").

wats up peeps, i knew there had a feeling there would be people here that knew what i was talking about. I'm glad to see that i'm not alone in this.
I think that weed and other drugs do increase this awareness, but to a certain effects. Drugs cloud your thoughts, and you're are not always certain whether you are right or wrong about something until you are sober again. It causes you to be unsure of yourself.
Icehead -- you are not a freak, just like i'm not a freak. I think that we are just here for a different reason, then those people are. There are meant to be the way that they are, and we are meant to be the way that we are.
DjSeth -- I agree, i think we are supposed to help those people to better understand themselves. But without forcing it upon, they have to want to better understand themselves.
greyspace -- yes, it is true what you say. Thats exactly how it is. Some things are just not accepted into society as easily as others because those ideas and theories have not been around for as long as the other ideas, or because society has been taught by one idea to not accept the other, because whatever they believe in, is "right" and nothing else is, supposedly. But if you think about it, all the crazy ass ideas that were the most unaccpted by society, were eventually accepted, and now we have shit like electricity, telephones, computers, and all that other stuff that was just once a crazy idea, that was considered to be absolutely insane. So maybe, in the future this will be proven by science or more widely accepted by people..... Just a thought...
belisarius -- body language and general patterns of human behavior, and "vibes" is the same exact thing. There is no difference. At least not in my mind. Everything about a person, their body language, the way they behave, the colors they like, the car they drive, their phone number, the house they live in and how it smells, looks, and all that stuff all fit into their vibe. Maybe this will help you get a better understanding of what i'm talking about.
Thanx to all of you people that took the time out of your day to read this and reply, i appreciate it. Once again.... i would love to talk to any one of you.. My AIM is "I see trails 604" and my e-mail is "[email protected]"... you can im me, e-mail or post your AIM, E-mail here and i will get in touch wit ya..
peace,
- GoaHead -
[ 15 December 2001: Message edited by: Goavibe604 ]

Hmm this is very interesting.. I was wondering the same thing the other day.. I feel this way sometimes too, not all the time it depends on my mood to some degree i guess.. I think it could be a combination of sensory cues and extra sensory cues that enable people to be able to sense these things about people. I believe in the extra sensory cues because and im sure a few people must be able to relate to times when you've felt the need to call someone and that person was thinking of you at that time and was feeling down or something like that. I think the proper term for people like this is empath, or people who are empathic.

^^^^ You're overlooking reporting and probability issues. How much do you think about your friends, and call them? Probably a lot, I do. How much of the time do they think about you? Probably a fair bit! How long have you known them? Probably a fairly long time. We would EXPECT this to happen a few times, just realize there have been MANY MORE times someone has been thinking of you that you didn't call them, those just don't stand out.
So let's guess: you call a friend average once/day. They think about you for say maybe five minutes a day. 10 friends, and you've had friends for ten years. You only call during half the day generally, so
Then you will have weird calls that "connect" 365*10 * 5min/12h = 3650/144= 25 times!
Not empathy, just probability, and the fact that you notice weird coincidences and forget they many times there were no coincidences.

zorn... my belief is that there is no such thing as a coincidence... all these "coincidences" happen for a reason...think about it ... how many times are you gonna pick up the phone to call somebody and there wont be a dial tone... and you'll be like "hello?" and they're allready on the line. Plus...it happening repeatedly over and over and over again. Its no coincidence. Every moment is as it should be. At least, thats how it is in my head. When you start to believe and open your mind to this stuff. You'll start to notice it a lot more, and then all the little pieces start to fit together. It makes too much sense. If you deny it, then thats how its going to be. Everything will go by your thoughts, and it wont be real for you. Your in control. Your thoughts become manifested into reality. I used to be skeptikal about this too, but then it all became clear. Whatever you believe, thats how its going to be. All these peolpe think i'm psycho because i think this, but it don't matter, because I'm happy the way i am and i feel like i'm more in control of my life. Maybe if you would open your mind, and just consider this, the same would happen for you.

ok zorn.. heres some examples of stuff (theres more that i cant remember right now) in the last couple of months.. one time i was sending someone some sms's about something and i thought of the saying hook line and sinker in regards to what we were talking about, she replies to my message with that exact phrase. Now i haven't heard her say that before nor have i ever used that saying before cos frankly i think its retarded hehe. Another time i was listening to a cd in the car suddenly felt i had to turn it off, put the radio on and on comes this song i've been obsessing over for months trying to get the name of. I totally flip and go to sms my friend who was supposed to be at work, they sms me back saying how they were just gonna sms me about this awesome song that was on and that they were at home and had the day off. I hadn't told them about this song i was obsessing over.. so theres some examples of stuff that can happen. I think you'll find them both pretty unlikely. Theres lots more too.. needless to say i'm convinced. But perhaps these things dont happen to you?

Unusual things do happen to me, usually I will just think "hey, that's a neat coincidence"... it doesn't happen that often. I mean like I said, there's a TON of strange things that can happen; and it's been shown that people's memory isn't all that good -- eg they will consistently overestimate the proportion of unusual events, and the number of events that correspond to a belief of theirs.
So all those things that happen are unlikely, sure, but think of all the reasonably possible weird coincidence that COULD happen to you... there are a TON! I bet that if you pick any objective criteria for some sort of coincidence now, like picking up a phone with someone else there -- and work out how often it's likely to happen, you'll find that in the future it won't happen much more than that. You only think there are too many weird coincidences because there are so many weird things that can happen!
I mean, think about the phone call example I gave above... would you really expect it to happen that often? I wouldn't without working it out. Guess the whole point of this is that you should EXPECT a lot of weird coincidences to occur... they don't have to mean anything.
Probably I do just notice this stuff less than you guys.... there seems to be a lot of variance in between people in this "making connections" with events in the world and yourself. Have you ever met anyone with / read anything about paranoid schizophrenia? One of the hallmarks of this disease is making WAY too many connections... these people will think everything in the world relates to them: that words in TV shows are coded messages they need to receive... or that the license plate in front of them having three sixes in it means God is telling them the world is about to end... you get the idea. Delusions of grandeur, etc. We can see that they're disturbed, and obviously what's on TV has absolutely nothing to do with their ideas, but it's still just an extension of putting meaning in coincidences.
See what I mean? We probably all have a certain level of making connections, eg deciding that some event in the external world has something to do with us. In extreme cases, it becomes schizophrenia; in normal people, it makes some more likely to notice weird things and find meaning in daily events than others.

Hmm, Goa, tell me, how old are you? Have your uncomfortable feeling about being superior to people and knowing a lot about them been getting worse lately? I mean, did you used to feel differently? Your thoughts jump around a lot? Hate being in crowds of people? Does it ever seem like people are talking about you sometimes, even when they look like they're not?
Care,
Zorn

Personally, i believe that anyone is capable of this. It just takes awareness. It seems like their just sending out their mood/thoughts like a message. Meditating really allows such a skill to develop. Don't feel above those people or that will be your weakness. Do not underestimate people as well, for you have no idea what their capable, no matter how well you know them.

Zorn, my age makes no difference. Yes, I used to feel different, I used to think just like you, its all just coincidences and was a lot less aware of everything that is going on around me. I do not feel like people are talking about me unless they really are. I LOVE being in crowds of people just as much as i like being alone. My feeling of superiority is not an uncomfortable feeling, it is simply a feeling of superiority. I know i'm not superior to others in the long run, but i feel like i'm smarter then them, and its not that i just think, its what i've been told by everybody all my life, by my teachers, my friends, psychologists, and even strangers. My over analytical nature and jumpy thoughts has also caused me to be more advanced in my studies then everybody else my age. Also, my iq is a very decent amount above normal. The only thing that does make me feel uncomfortable is that there are closed minded people, who like to consider everybody different then themselves not normal and that there aren't too many people like me.
Also, these so called "coincidences" happen very often. I will be thinking about something specific, and somebody else that i don't know, or have never spoken to will say the exact thing that i'm thinking. Then i'll think something else, and that person will say that. Then there are times, when i am sitting in class bored, nobody is talking, nothing happens that would make anybody want to say something, but 4 people start talking at the same time. Then they stop at the same time. There have been multiple times when my and my friends start talking about something, for example, a movie from the 1970s, and all of a sudden something will happen that relates to the subject at hand, such as somebody on TV will come on talking about how much they loved that movie out of nowwhere. Right now, i know you're thinking... theres reasons for all of this, its all just a coincidence...something must have been on TV earlier that made you think of that movie and you started talking about it then it came on TV.. but its not like that.
It just is in your mind, because you want to believe what you believe. Have you ever thought that maybe you just want to believe this, because if you dont' people will think you're schitzophrenic, or not mentally stable? Did you ever feel like people weren't talking about you, when really were? Does it make you feel better to deny your intuition? Do you feel that when you're denying it you're just simply keeping yourself mentally stable? Do you like being in large crowds of people because you seeing that people aren't uncomfortable around you makes you feel better about yourself cause you care what they think?
Also, there is nothing "unusual" about these events, they do happen all the time. Its just a part of the way things work. I would rather question why things work the way they work, then just blindly believe that that is just the way it is. Its just some people like you are more comfortable not knowing the anwsers to certain questions and just accepting, thats how it is, it happens because it does. When there are people that are not like you, who question things beacuse of what they feel and don't hurt anybody in any way while doing so, don't just immediatly start to assume that they have some kind of mental disorder.
I know that i'm mentally stable. People that choose to listen to me, and consider that what i'm saying might be true instead of just assuming that i'm a skitzo, or that there is something else wrong with me, or that i'm too different for them, get along with me very well. I don't ever hurt anybody in any way on purpose. As a matter of fact, i'm always helping people who have been hurt, and preventing people from getting hurt, and people love me for it. So if you want to question my sanity.. then you go right ahead. It just tells me that you are just another one of those people that doesn't relate.
Just out of curiosity... what makes you direct those questions toward me in particular?
did you not see any of this?
DJSethNichols
amazing.
I have thought the exact same things many times previous.
Hot-Carp
Thats a really nice post goavibe,
I feel the same thing but fortunately I share this gift with my brother.
twiddlebug
i've recently started taking much more notice of my intuitions about people, because they are often startlingly correct.
Icehead
Wow, Goavibe I'm just like you and can understand your experiences 100%.
greyspace
Goa, your post could have been copied directly from my own thoughts...
bluefear
bluefear Hmm this is very interesting.. I was wondering the same thing the other day.. I feel this way sometimes too,
Please do not take any of this personally, it is in no way intended to offend you in any way whatsoever. This is just simply my opinion. I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say in reply.
peace,
- Goahead -
[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: Goavibe604 ]