• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

picking up "vibes"

Originally posted by Goavibe604:
The only thing that does make me feel uncomfortable is that there are closed minded people, who like to consider everybody different then themselves not normal and that there aren't too many people like me.

that is the one thing that keeps me from totally being myself in front of all individuals I face. It's more a fear of others misunderstanding my actions and/or words.
It's an inhibition that fades as I get to know someone better...thus become more comfortable around them. I slowly come out of my shell into the light.
But if the opposite individual makes an open minded statement, or action....it will speed up my process of opening up as well.
I would have to say I have gotten better at this as I have become more aware of it's lurking in my social interactions.
The problem with people is that they let others make up their minds...and they form over drawn generalizations about certain things....calling them 'weird'. Well in my opinion...'weird' is the same as 'different''unique''original''against the grain''creative.'
I (as well as many others I'm sure) would be considered 'weird' by many individuals with the common sickness of the 'closed mind.' Not weird because of how I dress or look (that part of me is quite general looking)....but maybe weird in the way I goof/joke around with people just to get a rise out of them....or maybe because of the very deep thoughts that float through my mind from time to time...and sometimes I let the ideas fly.
Many times I have an intuition about the people that I can be fearless with and just let my true self shine through....and the others that seem to close up to me...and thus I do the same to them.

Originally posted by zorn:
Unusual things do happen to me, usually I will just think "hey, that's a neat coincidence"... it doesn't happen that often. I mean like I said, there's a TON of strange things that can happen; and it's been shown that people's memory isn't all that good -- eg they will consistently overestimate the proportion of unusual events, and the number of events that correspond to a belief of theirs.
So all those things that happen are unlikely, sure, but think of all the reasonably possible weird coincidence that COULD happen to you... there are a TON! I bet that if you pick any objective criteria for some sort of coincidence now, like picking up a phone with someone else there -- and work out how often it's likely to happen, you'll find that in the future it won't happen much more than that. You only think there are too many weird coincidences because there are so many weird things that can happen!
I mean, think about the phone call example I gave above... would you really expect it to happen that often? I wouldn't without working it out. Guess the whole point of this is that you should EXPECT a lot of weird coincidences to occur... they don't have to mean anything.
Probably I do just notice this stuff less than you guys.... there seems to be a lot of variance in between people in this "making connections" with events in the world and yourself. Have you ever met anyone with / read anything about paranoid schizophrenia? One of the hallmarks of this disease is making WAY too many connections... these people will think everything in the world relates to them: that words in TV shows are coded messages they need to receive... or that the license plate in front of them having three sixes in it means God is telling them the world is about to end... you get the idea. Delusions of grandeur, etc. We can see that they're disturbed, and obviously what's on TV has absolutely nothing to do with their ideas, but it's still just an extension of putting meaning in coincidences.
See what I mean? We probably all have a certain level of making connections, eg deciding that some event in the external world has something to do with us. In extreme cases, it becomes schizophrenia; in normal people, it makes some more likely to notice weird things and find meaning in daily events than others.

Hi =) Are you implying that Goavibe is skitzophrenic? Perhaps you simply are not taking the time to look more deeply into his post. A couple years ago I too may have found what Goavibe said to all be nothing but reality thrown out of of proportion, but I now realize that everything he is saying is very real. So real, that it tends to scare people off, particulary close minded people. Over time I've learned to open my mind, & look more deeply into things before jumping to conclusions such as you implying (or at least I think you were implying) that Goavibe might be skitzophrenic. If he was simply crazy, than there wouldn't be so many replies from other people whom feel just as he does, & have had the same experiences. And I can definitely say that I am one of those people. I could of simply jumped to the conclusion that you are just a shallow guy, but instead I chose to question your post...and read up on what you might have to say.

i've felt the presence of two people at sublime in sydney who weren't really there. one was a guy trying to pull me outside by my wrist & when i moved away from him a girl came up & hugged me telling me i was safe. i didn't actually 'see' these people, like with my eyes, but i saw them in my minds eye very clearly. and i actually felt the guy holding my wrist. i haven't seen either of them for quite some time but the next time i'm there i'm going to look for them

I'm new to bluelight, but not new to your feelings.
Quote: This goes for everybody except people who are extremely materialistic and ego-based people with social masks. I dont' bother having any kind of relationship with any of those kind of people unless i see that they have potential to be something deeper then just fake idiots who wouldn't understand anything because of how shallow and narrow-minded they are.
Maybe our purpose is to bring out the awareness in theses people to make the world a better place. $.02

Well, sorry, I apologize if anyone found anything I said belittling/demeaning/close-minded, it certainly wasn't intentional. No, I didn't mean to imply Goa was schizophrenic; I was merely using it as an academic example. Again, I apologize if I was insulting.
Now, I am kind of surprised that many of you seem to think that I am close-minded or denying my intuition! I guess this just shows how deep the divide in how we think about things is.
Personally, I don't notice too many of these weird coincidences. My thought is they are probably happening and just don't seem that significant to me. I listen to my intuition as much as I can, and try and figure out when it is right. Sadly that doesn't seem to be too often... but I do notice that occasionally it will work quite well, usually in social situation: I will just know that a conversation will go well, or that someone is interested in me, or that two people will interact in a certain way. When this particularly feeling has come about, it's had a 100% success rate. What does it mean? I dunno, there are a lot of explanations, and not enough information to choose between them.
It's also odd to be called closed-minded; if there's one thing that I think I'm not, that's it. I'm not posting here because I think anyone who thinks differently than me is crazy... I'm genuinely curious to know where you're coming from, and want to try and figure it out.
Anyways, I explained my belief above about people falling on "connection-detecting" range, with some ppl noticing more connections of events with themselves than other ppl do. This seems to fit with everything I know, and seems reasonable. There are ways to check it, too. We could check to see if noticing lots / noticing very few coincidences seems to run in families, that would be supportive. We could do tests (like with the phone call thing) to see if everyone experiences a similar number of objectively-defined coincidences. And so on.
Now, sure, there might be other explanations... maybe some people are just better at "reading" and communicating to others and this makes them more likely to have these weird experiences. Or maybe there's some srtange spiritual/empathic connection going on. Or maybe we each really do have mental control over the world. But these things seem kinda farfetched to me; unless I know of a reason to believe them, I'm not going to. Same thing with, say, ghosts, or ESP, or UFOs. Without good evidence, I'm inclined to think they're explained by more commonplace phemonena.
Is there a reason anyone disagress with the explanation I offered? Is there anything inconsistent with it? Can you suggest reasons it might not be true? What do you think the real deal is?
To answer Goa's questions:
-Did you ever feel like people weren't talking about you, when really were?
Most of the time I have no idea if people are talking about me... obviously if they shut up when I enter the room or keep looking at me, I'm suspicious of it. Otherwise I just don't really think about it (unless a girl I'm interested in is involved, etc.)
-Does it make you feel better to deny your intuition?
I don't.... I like having it, and it comes in handy a lot of times. I'd make a fool of myself a lot more without it.
-Do you feel that when you're denying it you're just simply keeping yourself mentally stable?
Nope. I think I had a form of OCD when I was very young (~10) and I worried about that then, but that passed, and I've always seemed pretty stable, never really even thought about it since.
Do you like being in large crowds of people because you seeing that people aren't uncomfortable around you makes you feel better about yourself cause you care what they think?
Well, of course I care what other people think! I've not yet met a person who didn't. (though some claimed not to) OTOH, I've never had a problem with people feeling uncomfortable around me. I am pretty neutral about crowds... depends what kind of mood I am in. The situations that make me uncomfortable are typically moderate to large social situations where I don't know anyone well and don't seem to "click" with anyone there... then I feel obligated to carry on conversations and be friendly, but feel kind of uncomfortable, and have a hard time being interested in the conversation.
Care everyone,
Zorn

Messaih -- yes, i believe that that is our purpose as well. But there are some people who will not understand or even try to understand no matter how it is put. Why try to help this person if they do not want to be helped? I do not believe in forcing my point of view onto anybody. If i bring up this subject and a person shows no interest in it whatsoever, i just simply wont bring it up anymore, unless at some later point in time this person sais something that relates to this, or shows that now he/she is interested.
The people that i was talking about earlier, that i dont' even bother having a relationship with, are the people that are disrespectfull, never question anything, let their ego take control of them by letting themselves be something that they really are not without even realizing it, and show me that they are absolutely not intersted in having any kind of relationship with me at all. Why should I make an effort to be nice to this person? I will never go out of my way to be mean to them, or do anything of the sort. I just simply wont bother trying to be their friend or to help them, unless they show me that they want that.
Zorn, don't worry about it. I didn't take it to offense, but it did seem to me as if you were questioning my sanity in your mind. I dont' like that at all. Also, I dont' think anybody hear ever said you were close-minded. So don't worry about that either. I just got the wrong impression because of how your previous posts were put together.
I didn't actually mean for you to anwser those questions.. they were there to just help you better understand whats its like to be questioned in the way that you were questioning me. You got the impression that I and other people thought you were close-minded even though it was never said, just like i got the impression that you were questioning my mental stability. None of these things actually have any relevance to the topic being discussed. So i say we just forget about it.
I dont' think that the test with the phone thing would be accurate. How would you test that using the phone?
Something happened to me right after i got done writing that post. As soon as i was finished i went to my friends house, and we were just sitting there smokin a bowl, and i brought up something totally random. Don't remember wat it was. It wasn't anything that any one of us have any reason to think about. When i brought it up, he said "i was just thinking about that earlier today." Then i immediately started thinking about the post that i had just typed up 5 minutes ago. He then said, "Don't you think its wierd that that always happens..i mean how that it always happens, you think of something and then it get brought up later that day even though the person or however it gets brought up has absolutely no knowledge that you were just thinking about that earlier that day, and also has not thought about it in a really long time?" I couldn't even anwser him because all that was running through my mind is that my friend whom i have known for 2 years, and have never heard him anything about this topic had just said that during my first conversation that I had after finishing my previous reply in this post. Also, he has absolutely know idea what bluelight is or that i had posted this.
I feel that when something like that happens, there has to be some kind of explanation as to why it happened. I dont' know what it is, but i just feel like there has to be some kind of connection. I dont' think over looking probability issues. The chances of that happening are very slim.
Also, i can think of one way to test if somebody can really read a person, but i think that when somebody is put on the spot and they know that their abilities are being tested, they get nervous and test results would not be accurate. So if any of you can think of any accurate way to test any of the things discussed here i would be happy to hear them.
peace,
- Goavibe -

Hi Goavibe!
After reading this thread, I can certainly relate to this 'vibe-reading'. Like Belisarius said, I belive this to be body language and common phrases used by people that give away their personalities. We use body language to communicate 70% of the time, which is why phone interviews are so hard. But, yeah, I also find myself helping others see other points of view and question their beliefs, I guess its because I do it myself so much being the detective in my own life, just trying to find the truth I suppose.
We're not alone, my girlfriend is like that also, plus another friend of mine who can seemingly read other peoples minds just by studying their facial expressions, it's quite entertaining when the other person has no idea how he does it.
I think there are two types of people, vibe-readers and vibe-givers, and people can alternate between the two. Vibe-givers are very open and honest and are easily read by people trying to 'suss them out', but when you meet another 'vibe-reader', you're both 'reading' rather than 'expressing' personality and it feels quite uncomfortable for both of you. Also, two vibe-givers will talk oblivious to what the other person is thinking. The there are deceivers who are really vibe-readers trying to pass themselves off as vibe-givers in a Machevellian (sp?) effort.
One possible way of explaining this is Numerology. Now I'm not advocating this as the 'answer to all your questions' but rather that I've looked at mine and my g/fs numbers and noticed that we both are 'emotionally sensitive'. To anyone who is familiar with it, I am a 336 and she is a 303.
And, Yes, it would be foolish to think of yourself as superior to others as that would lead to an abuse of your talent and possibly a loss of it alltogether. I believe it only works for a greater good, and not for personal reasons.

Two vibe-readers isn't always uncomfortable. I remember a time during CidFest '01. We were trippin at my friend ForestDragon's(spiritual name not real) house. I've had many long talks with her about this kind of stuff before and we'd always been really close. After the craziness of the peak we were chillin in her room and I grabbed a glow-in-the-dark star and started playing with it. After about an hour, my friend CP asked what I was playing with and stole the star. I said, "Hey, you stole my star," and ForestDragon piped up, "No, you stole MY star." At that moment I realized that we had just had a wordless conversation about the last couple years of our lives and how CP had kind of separated us.

i think a person can be both a vibe-reader and a vibe-giver. And some can be neither givers nor recievers. I've been around other people who can read vibes and i've always been able to, and we were totally comfortable with each other at all times. And the whole thing about being superior to others, i dont' feel like i'm better then everybody, i just feel like i know things that they can't understand and dont' want to understand. Because of that, it makes me feel like a person with higher intelligence then them. I know everybody has felt like somebody around them is a worse person then them, because they lie, cheat, steal, etc... I know that nobody is worse or better then anybody else, and i always take everything everybody has to say to me into consideration. I dont' just say, you dont' know what you're talking about, i'm better then you. But when somebody always act stupid and immature i'm going to feel more mature then them. Is that wrong? to feel like you're smarter, or more mature then somebody? I'm sure everybody here has people in their life that they feel are less intelligent then them. Its not like, i put these people down all the time, or just not talk to them, cause i think they're worse people then me. I dont' think they're worse people then me, i just feel like my approach to certain situations would make more sense or be more logical + more efficient then their approach. Am i really wrong about this? Everybody always sais to me, you're ahead, you're smarter, you're more intelligent, all that crap. Its not like its just a delusion in my head. Its not like i feel i'm better then everybody in everyway. I dont' look down on anybody, and i understand that every person is just another piece of the puzzle. But some people are smarter then others. It does not make them better in the long run, but it does put the smarter person ahead. Like say, two people applying for a job, one of them is a better candidate then the other, because they're smarter.
Also, i dont' see how reading people can not work for personal reasons. I use it for personal reasons all the time, it works just fine. Also, i'm sure that so does everybody else that is able to do it. Why is it wrong to use it for personal reasons? Why is it wrong to feel like you're smarter, more intelligent, or better at something then somebody else? I don't think I understand. Maybe you're misunderstanding me. Or maybe i am wrong about this, and it really is foolish like you say. But can you tell me why?

In my honest belief, I think that all of us have natural intuition. It's a fantastic survival tool and some pay more attention to others and hone it to a fantastic point.
To go so far as to say that you feel vibrations of matters or experiences that perhaps occured in the past in a certain place, well, why not? Anything is possible. Until there is a fanatical amount of scientific evidence denying such a possibility, I think it's a pretty neat matter to dispute or bond over.

i sense the 'knowing' of other people but sometimes it is hard to handle, especially around drinkers. When you can see what is false and hidden and the blindness of some people to whom they really are, it raises lots of feelings for me, mainly sadness.
i try to stick with friends who are more open and during the time i have spent with them i have experienced more than just intuition but fantastic journeys into their lives and stories which have been real for me and communicated without words. The stories come accross in visuals usually to do with nature which i recognise as not part of my experience but find out later is part of my friends experience. its like they take my hand and lead me into a summarized version of how life has been for them emotionally and where they are now. i feel the emotions which can be intense and i can move them on in different ways if they get stuck at any point. Some times these can go on for half an hour or so.
My friends have not been aware of the visual story that they have conveyed to me only the emotions and the situations in which they felt the feeling. On telling them the story they could understand themselves an their emotions better. Has anyone else had these types of experiences?
I have often felt alone and like no-one can ever understand me in this life but since these experiences i have learnt that I can learn new ways of opening myself up and expressing myself when I am consciously unaware of what it is i havent said to make myself understood. There is more to communication than words and body language. I feel so i alone when i forget this. People do understand me, particularly a stranger who connects eyes for a second walking down the street. Yes, fear prevents any words being said but maybe there are no words to be said just a knowing.

I think we all give vibes (signals, body language, whatever) and receive vibes all the time. We react differently depending on the changing conditions of our environment. Our consciousness is actually an extension of this enviroment. The "I" isn't only in our braincase. That is to say in newagey terms, we are actually one with our enviroment rather than separate.
Sounds good to me.

Goa
I truly understand what you have said... and at times I have been able to read vibes really well.. but disaster struck and I joined the material corporate world (no offence intended to the corporate toilers) and I woke up one day realising I had lost faith (not religious faith) in people and touch with myself.. I now have cast off the shackles of that job and am journeying overseas on a walkabout.. BUT THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS MEANT TO WRITE ABOUT...
Anyway... I understand all you have said.. and have felt vibes and given vibes ... I also met this couple named Sarah and Kristian at Earthcore and we had this conversation that was not on the material level and connected.. I would like to thank them publically.. I lost track of them during the night and unfortunately did not get their contact details so ... if you are reading this and had conversations with me at the Styvo tent at Earth Core in November this year please email me on....
[email protected]
Another point about drug taking and its effects I believe taking drugs enhances these thoughts and feelings but they have a cost... So enjoy :)
Otherwise I wish everyone peace in the new year and may it be filled with happiness and laughter...
Chief
[ 29 December 2001: Message edited by: wiggum ]

"When you can see what is false and hidden and the blindness of some people to whom they really are, it raises lots of feelings for me, mainly sadness. " How true... :-(
i have no time to respond to this thread, but I understand...

Yeah, I think I put it wrong. Thats the problem with internet, verbal errors can't be corrected on the spot. What I meant was for evil purposes such as brainwashing (manipulation). Another vibe-reader will undoubtably cotton on to your intentions.

goavibe : may i share my 2c?
most everything you have said here has rung true -so much so that (heh) i'm buzzing
im so sick of pondering all of this i have come up with my own philosophy :
it is.
peas :)

Messaih said:
Maybe our purpose is to bring out the awareness in theses people to make the world a better place.
Goavibe604 said:
Messaih -- yes, i believe that that is our purpose as well. But there are some people who will not understand or even try to understand no matter how it is put. Why try to help this person if they do not want to be helped?
Perhaps those that 'refuse to understand' fulfill different functions?
It doesn't seem farfetched that since there is specialization amongst other highly social animal species that this would not hold true for humans as well.
(Also, with some of the priorities that some folks out there show, would we necessarily WANT them to have any greater understanding of this type of subject matter? Technical knowledge without wisdom has been demonstrated to be a very dangerous thing many times in the past....)

I agree that our purpose is to help people to see the "light" of who they truly are. However, I think words can be cheap and some people need some action rather than just words. Maybe our purpose isnt to help others directly but indirectly through action and living our
in sight. I believe this purpose is a consequence of our primary purpose- to LOVE- firstly ourselves. When i have tried to help people in the past i have made two main mistakes- 1) Havent connected with the words on an emotional level and the words come out like i just read them from a book 2)Connected on an emotional level but was so in need myself that all i could come out with was advice for myself. Sometimes my motive for helping others can affect their ability to retain information, like to make myself feel wise and important compared to them. LIVE LOVE!
[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: Sevenstars ]

I don't know about it be two groups of people one giving and one recieving. I think all people give off vibes and some people are also really good at recieving them. Also i think it gets stronger the more connected you are to that person. Like you will recieve stronger vibes from your best friend then from a stranger. Also no I don't believe it has to do with body langauge, tone of voice, or facial expressions because I have sat in a dark room watching a movie and felt my friends' mood shifts. Also I had a friend who's neck was hurting but she hadn't said anything about and it was giving her headache any how my neck started hurting and giving me a headache before she said anything. Then like to hours later she says her neck and head hurt and asked another friend for a neck massage after which my neck felt fine and the headache went away.