• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How did you get into the rave scene?

Seven-One-Eight

Bluelighter
I'm an 18 y/o male and have yet to find anyone in my area / school that is into the rave scene, let alone are even aware of it. Even though I've never been to one, I've been wanting to for a long time. The problem is, I don't even know where to begin. Most of the people in my area/school are either into the "urban hip-hop" scene or the "let's drink and play beer pong and flip cup all night" scene (if you could even call it that? the stereotypical college kid I suppose). Besides not knowing where to find out about local raves, I would end up having to go alone which really sucks. All of my friends are the stereotypical "I only use natural drugs" kind of people too, so the only drug they use is weed. I've had to hide my drug use because of this. Regardless of them even rolling or not, they see the scene as a joke, so they would never even consider coming to one.

How did you guys get into the scene? I know many of you might say that you grew up with a bunch of kids in your area that shared the same interests as you, but that's not the case for me at all. Anything outside of alcohol/weed is shunned in my circle unfortunately, and the association between raves and MDMA further decreases their dislike of raves. I dunno, going to a rave alone doesn't sound like a fun time, especially for someone like me who has anxiety when meeting new people, and who is a first timer.

The only time I've rolled was with a friend in my house, and it just didn't feel right. I wanted to go out and just go crazy and dance, something I've never felt in my entire life. For me it would just be so much more fulfilling to roll at a rave, I just wish I knew some people that were into the scene =/

Last edited:
i can sort of relate. im not too out going about meeting new people when im sober and i do get a little bit of anxiety about it from time to time.

i got into it because i switched schools in high school and went to one that had very diverse circles of kids. and there i was introduced to people who liked it. though i was afraid to try it for a long time. i finally did and i woke up to a magical new world lol.

i didnt go to my first rave for months after my first experience with the drug. and it seemed like everyone i knew who liked the drug was way more educated about it than me. i was going through a honey moon period with it and everyone else was just waiting for the next big event to come around before they would roll again.

but that event came around and i went to it with 2 friends. i saw lots of big groups of people there and people who went alone. but when you are there it seems like everyone is unified by a common factor, the music, the lights, and the mdma.

today, having already been to several raves, massives, and festivals. i would go alone if i had to. i found out that once i get there, and get inside, even if im sober i will end up meeting people and making friends for the night. actually i have gone alone once, and i made friends with a group of people in the parking lot and i bumped into them again at another event months later. and i always see familiar faces of people i dont know but have seen before at other events.

well i guess my advice would have to be; even if you dont know anyone to go with you, go. or talk to someone who might even be remotely interested, and tell them your situation. i think you might make friends there who you can plan to go to events with in the future, as long as youre a pretty chill kid.

maybe this helped, i hope it did. good luck to you.

If you're from Brooklyn, you should have no trouble at all finding raves. Check out The New Rave Order.

And don't worry about going alone. It's easy to make friends.

If you're from Brooklyn, you should have no trouble at all finding raves. Check out The New Rave Order.

And don't worry about going alone. It's easy to make friends.

Ha, I knew someone would say that. I just haven't been exposed to it at all. I know the scene is there, I just haven't found people that are into it. I should really just try going alone, but I'd have to work up the nerve.

i can sort of relate. im not too out going about meeting new people when im sober and i do get a little bit of anxiety about it from time to time.

i got into it because i switched schools in high school and went to one that had very diverse circles of kids. and there i was introduced to people who liked it. though i was afraid to try it for a long time. i finally did and i woke up to a magical new world lol.

i didnt go to my first rave for months after my first experience with the drug. and it seemed like everyone i knew who liked the drug was way more educated about it than me. i was going through a honey moon period with it and everyone else was just waiting for the next big event to come around before they would roll again.

but that event came around and i went to it with 2 friends. i saw lots of big groups of people there and people who went alone. but when you are there it seems like everyone is unified by a common factor, the music, the lights, and the mdma.

today, having already been to several raves, massives, and festivals. i would go alone if i had to. i found out that once i get there, and get inside, even if im sober i will end up meeting people and making friends for the night. actually i have gone alone once, and i made friends with a group of people in the parking lot and i bumped into them again at another event months later. and i always see familiar faces of people i dont know but have seen before at other events.

well i guess my advice would have to be; even if you dont know anyone to go with you, go. or talk to someone who might even be remotely interested, and tell them your situation. i think you might make friends there who you can plan to go to events with in the future, as long as youre a pretty chill kid.

maybe this helped, i hope it did. good luck to you.

Yeah I'm definitely a chill kid, very laid back and down to do anything if it's with people I know. It's just approaching new people that tends to make me nervous, but you gotta get over it someday ya know?

Last edited:
For me, it progressed like this:
Fuck yeah EDM. Fuck yeah MDMA. Raves would be a great environment for this drug. I had one other friend who had rolled before and I dragged him to one. It was a great night.

Also, usually when I attend raves I am away from my friend(s) for at least half the night just dancing or talking to complete strangers. Just go to a rave alone, you'll meet tons of awesome new people who you can go to raves with especially if you're rolling ;D

You can check out plurlife for events in your area, or even go the route of using craigslist and seeing who is trying to check out a rave in your area, and post your own ad (don't mentions drugs at all). I think going out alone in general is intimidating- I've done it (not rolling, but I have drank) and if you're just not used to it, you're just not used to it. You will find a LOT of MDMA users have nothing to do with the rave or EDM scene, and you'll find plenty of ravers are sober.

Ha, I knew someone would say that. I just haven't been exposed to it at all. I know the scene is there, I just haven't found people that are into it. I should really just try going alone, but I'd have to work up the nerve.

I found a rave or two through forums but didn't really get into the scene until I met an OOOOld friend and found out we both love tripping and he knew the local scene very well. Since I was already 24 by this point it wasn't a school thing but I had no trouble going alone, even if this friend wasn't there I always meet some people. After a while you kinda already know all the regulars and can always find someone to hang out and chat with. If you are rolling its so ridiculously easy too. Now I have like 20+ scene people on my Facebook =D

Just find an event and go. Roll face and tell everyone its your first rave, TRUST ME you'll have fun and meet a fuckton of people.

my gf and her friends were invited to a rave back in december in seattle and she brought me along. i had a lot of fun and went to a new years' rave again in seattle.

i found NWTEKNO for raves in the NW scene so now i frequently party between portland and seattle!

Yeah I think I'm just gonna say fuck it and check one out by myself. Hopefully everyone will be pretty welcoming. Thanks for the replies :)

Heh, I was going to say, "no rave scene in brooklyn, what?!" I've listened to EDM and been around ravers since I was a teenager. Back in the day when it was all just emerging.

I can't wait to got to my first rave. It kinda sucks though cause now there getting really strict at raves I heard. I wouldn't wanna get caught with pills.

Though I'm a nice person, I wouldn't consider myself friendly at all and I don't make connections with people very easily. That said, there are very very few raves I've gone to that I HAVEN'T made a friend at without trying at all. Weather it's a girl I chatted with while waiting in the bathroom line, or the kid I sat down next to to take a breather, I always end up leaving with a phone number of someone who genuinely now thinks of me as a friend... at least until the MDMA wears off. And that's fine.

I think a lot of people, myself included, may just be afraid of trying to contact someone they met the other night while rolling. There's something awkward about it, but at the same time, I feel that friendship is genuine. I've gone to raves sober and still made friends that I think I could actually hang out with on a regular basis. And sometimes I do. XD Anyway, just don't be afraid to contact someone after the rave has ended. If your current group of friends isn't into raving, then find a group of friends that is. Rave friends are probably the EASIEST friends to make. Srsly.

Yeah I think I'm just gonna say fuck it and check one out by myself. Hopefully everyone will be pretty welcoming. Thanks for the replies :)

just remember PLUR and you'll be just fine, so long as PLUR exists in your scene. I've got to a few raves by myself and had no problem making new friends. i've also lost my friends at raves and didn't feel awkward in the least bit...you're going to have a blast!

just remember PLUR and you'll be just fine, so long as PLUR exists in your scene. I've got to a few raves by myself and had no problem making new friends. i've also lost my friends at raves and didn't feel awkward in the least bit...you're going to have a blast!

Oh yeah haha... I live out the PLUR mantra every day of my life. I'm sure once people get to know me they'll like me... it's just that initial process of approaching a total stranger that gives me anxiety heh

Well I had always just rolled with friends and never really got into doing lights or any of that, but a rave came to my town one day and I loved it ever since.

my gf and her friends were invited to a rave back in december in seattle and she brought me along. i had a lot of fun and went to a new years' rave again in seattle.

i found NWTEKNO for raves in the NW scene so now i frequently party between portland and seattle!
So off subject, but Freaknight on Halloween in Seattle was sooooo fun!!!!!!:)

Oh yeah haha... I live out the PLUR mantra every day of my life. I'm sure once people get to know me they'll like me... it's just that initial process of approaching a total stranger that gives me anxiety heh

i love giving glove and orbit shows when i rave. i've met so many people just standing around spinning my orbit or dancing with my gloves and people come up to you and ask for a light show and it's like a perfect ice breaker. then you ask them if they're rolling, what they took, etc etc. people who are rolling are SO talkative and SO friendly!

So off subject, but Freaknight on Halloween in Seattle was sooooo fun!!!!!!:)

haha yeah i'm looking forward to going to seattle this year if i'm not here in portland for the halloween rave!!

i love giving glove and orbit shows when i rave. i've met so many people just standing around spinning my orbit or dancing with my gloves and people come up to you and ask for a light show and it's like a perfect ice breaker. then you ask them if they're rolling, what they took, etc etc. people who are rolling are SO talkative and SO friendly!

haha yeah i'm looking forward to going to seattle this year if i'm not here in portland for the halloween rave!!
What? wow I live here lol I didn't know that Portland had one... Errrr that's y I go to Seattle for raves, lol