• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

In theory, __________. But I find that in practice, __________.

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
Time for a little fill in the blanks, folks. Make a thought-provoking observation about a discrepancy you've noticed between the way something technically could, should, or is supposed to work, and the way it actually plays out in real life. I encourage you to go on and explain what made you notice this, and any other thoughts you have about the implications.

Feel free to comment on other people's answers too, but all I ask is this:
Please post a new filled-in response to the subject line in each post you make.

I'll start:

In theory the Freemasons cross all political lines, and in fact all demographic lines except gender. But I find that in practice it's a strongly right-wing institution.

I'll talk more about this later if anyone's interested.

In theory, __________.
"Laissez Fair" capitalism works because Adam Smith's idea of the "invisible hand" (competition) maintains its efficiency.

But I find that in practice, __________.
barriers to entering any new market prevent unmolested competition.

>>>nice thread:)

In theory, the religious experience - within and through just about any religious tradition - opens the mind and heart to love, acceptance, and peace, but I find that in practice, far too many practitioners (mis)use the teachings and ideas of their tradition to staunchly assert, defend, and manifest their own self-centered lusts for power.

a very fun thread

MyDoorsAreOpen, I'd be interested to hear you expand on that.. I must admit I know very little about the Freemasons other than general notions one picks up from pop culture - and the fact that my liberal, Jewish uncle was a member ;) (deceased since I was young, so never had the chance to talk to him about it)

In theory, people are more in tune with their own actions and grow as persons as a result of self-reflection. But I find that in practice, people are so caught up in each other's business that we inhibit personal growth and promote judgmental and negative behavior.

In theory, Anarchism provides a social framework that would reconcile individuality with community connection and sustenance, but in practice too few people are willing to accept the concordant responsibilities.

In theory, the theory/practice dichotomy bridges the logico-conceptual and empirical, but in practice, it merely points to which theories hold implausible axioms.

;)

ebola

^ In theory, one could attempt to deconstruct the theory/practice dichotomy, but in practice one is simply engaging of the praxis thereof.

;)

In theory, the universe appears as a dead vacuum with a few masses of dense matter strewn about, but in practice, I find that its actually one big consciousness matrix, with even the parts of "nothing" themselves consciously aware.

In theory, a few high level politicians and corporate heads meet up at Bohemian Grove to have a good 'ole boys' time, but in practice, I find, they are taking their ritual activities very seriously, and even go to the point of using governmental departments like CPS to set up pedophilia rings. No doubt the Vatican is in on this, too.

In theory, a military-industrial-Congressional-Hollywood complex works to provide safety for the People, but I find in practice, when Power gets away with Secrecy, the People have then already lost.

lol.

MyDoorsAreOpen said:
In theory the Freemasons cross all political lines, and in fact all demographic lines except gender. But I find that in practice it's a strongly right-wing institution.

I'll talk more about this later if anyone's interested.

You know I gotta ask for some elaboration.;) Order of the Eastern Star?

Last edited:
with even the parts of "nothing" themselves consciously aware.

As one who loves apophasis myself, I feel the urge to discuss this with you. IMO, I think you've made a few errors, both grammatical and semiotic. Please explain to me how this works:

1. The quotation marks around "nothing" means that you are not talking about nothing, but rather about something which you chose to title "nothing."

2. Further, the fact that your "nothing" has parts means that it is divisible. Strictly speaking, Nothing cannot be divided since to divide Nothing is to create something thereof. Look how may errors happened between the words "is" and "it" in the preceding sentence ;).

3. You say "themselves". Assuming that Nothing can, in fact, be divided, the fact that its parts have a self, let alone BEING consciously aware, is further proof that you are not, in fact, referring to what you were hoping to refer to.

Sorry if this sounds pedantic. Don't take it too seriously. But I hope I made a point (or rather, didn't ;)).

^I prefer occultatio, as there are unseen parts in the individual consciousness...;)

There are levels of reality that the human body is simply not hardwired to perceive. Where we see an empty vacuum, there is in fact quantum existence within that "void." Exactly why I quote "nothing," because it is my belief, anyway, that it is only our lack of evolution that impedes us from seeing these higher levels of universal consciousness. As well, those diagrams that NASA and other agencies give us of their interpretation of dark energy(not dark matter-2 dif things) composing huge bands of the unseen 90% of galaxies and the universe is actually consciousness interlinked.

And, when you realize its all a big quantum harmonic event, you also realize there are no separations, that its all the same material. We are the universe we perceive. Consciousness is King, as it is the glue that holds the universe together. The very point of the universe is consciousness, and there is no such thing as "nothing."

To continue with the spirit of the thread: In theory, economies provide for the well being of the common person, with a way to make a living to buy and sell goods/services everyone needs, but in practice, I find that its just one big control system converted to lower the standard of living, so a rich elite can redistribute the world's wealth into their offshore coffers.

Nothing cannot be divided since to divide Nothing is to create something thereof.

I'm sorry Jammy, not trying to pick on you but I'm LOLing right now pointing out a semiotic error in your post that was pointing out semiotic error. Its a semiology party in here, that's for sure. :D

Anyways. Nothing can surely be divided, but nothing divided by anything is always just nothing.

Something divided by nothing is boundless something (probably could be described by saying "infinity"-- although I must be careful to note that there's no numerical entity out there on the number line or wherever by the name of infinity; what I mean by "infinity" is without boundary).

0/x=0

x/0=? (in mathematics, it "blows up.")

^ Of course.

Whenever I talk about nothing, I generally trust that people know that I'm lying ;).

What is practice compared to theory, is not theory merely the observation of a practice. or is this proving the non correspondence between ideas and objective reality?

In theory God exsists, In practice god does not.

In theory God is loving, kind, forgiving and understanding

In practice God is leaving us to our own devices.

You know I gotta ask for some elaboration.;) Order of the Eastern Star?

The Masons in a phrase: Boy Scouts for Big people. =D

I find that the fraternity is definitely best suited (and indeed mostly attracts) men who have spent most of their lives coloring within the lines, thinking the way they've been taught to think, and not asking too many questions. Its arcane matrix of rules and protocols appeals to people who like rules, and like to see them upheld and followed by all. I was personally not blown away by the lessons taught and the symbolism used, and I found the meetings rather boring. But I can see how they might come off as profound to someone who just was not used to seeing things differently, and rarely ventured out of their comfort zones.

During my initial interview, I was asked if I ever thought about giving back to the community. I thought for a minute, then launched into an explanation of my choice of career paths, due to my compassionate nature. My interviewers were a bit taken aback, then stated bluntly, 'What we meant by what we asked is, were you willing to participate in charity activities?' This should've been a red flag. I later found out that 'charity' involved going to the Masonic Home and pushing wheelchairs for a meeting. I'm more interested in community and charity work that's targeted to real needs, rather than being showy, and in my experience, it's not real 'good work' unless I get my hands dirty. The guys in the Masons were not interested in my broader interpretation of the phrase 'community service'.

I was once told by a guy who's presently the Worshipful Master of my lodge that I ought to be careful not to take too seriously the ideas that liberal arts colleges wanted to put in my head. This came up in passing reference to something to do with feminism (not a cause I'm actively involved with, but one that I definitely side with the Left on.) This was a BIG red flag I was not in good company.

And finally, I disrespect the fact that the Masons have not done what it takes to compete with newer and more attractive modes of fraternal socialization, like the one we're using right now. The utter lack of vibrancy and relevancy to the modern world (even the WALLPAPER in the lodge hadn't been replaced since the 1920s!) made it hard for me to take the group seriously.

Which is a shame, because I think there's a place in our world for respectable Hermetic orders, which seek to help people get a new perspective on their place in this world by integrating and reconciling the lessons from both science and spirituality. It's a pity that one of the only established and respectable ones you can find have let their spiritual side atrophy, and have cast their lot with the American Right Wing (no matter where in the world they are -- no joke!). Because to me, the metaphysical lessons taught by Hermeticism don't lead directly to conservatism in any way whatsoever.

I would get more involved with the Masons again if my local area had a lodge full of dudes who were more my kind of people -- boundary pushers and explorers. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Continuing the theme of this thread:
In theory, friends are those we can count on to motivate us to change. But I find that in practice, we tend to surround ourselves with people who'll make no such demands on us.

In theory more people should be open to the benefits of various forms of psychedelic therapy, but I find that in practice, people have been conditioned to believe that only undesirable things can come of such practices.

In theory, one has the right to feel as happy, fulfilled and content as they wish. In practice, one is only allowed to be as happy, fulfilled and content as one's society has deemed appropriate.

Rations. . .

In theory education is supposed to be helpful. But in practice, i've found it is just imprisonment. You are forced to go to school for everything in life(not that its always bad) and all it's doing is conditioning people to take orders and conform

Can anyone here thoroughly describe for me what a "freemason" is?