• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Vibram Five Fingers 'Barefoot Shoes'

Sykoknot

Bluelight Crew
Quote from the product web page:
Remember going barefoot as a child? It’s the way you first discovered and conquered your world—without the constraint of shoes. Or the sense of duty you acquired later on.

Now you can experience that same physical and visceral sensation in Vibram FiveFingers—the only footwear to offer the exhilarating joy of going barefoot with the protection and sure-footed grip of a Vibram® sole.

FiveFingers footwear connects you to the earth and your surroundings in a way that is simply not possible in conventional shoes. It puts you in touch with the earth beneath your feet and liberates you to move in a more natural, healthy way. FiveFingers stimulate the muscles in your feet and lower legs to build strength and improve range of motion. Our customers report an increased sense of balance, greater agility, and visibly improved posture.

Choose from a variety of designs to cover the wide range of activities you would rather do barefoot—everything from fitness training and yoga, to running and trekking, to kayaking and sailing. Discover a level of performance and a connection to your environment that is positively without peer.

These are my VFF KSO's (Keep Stuff Out). I have never owned a more enjoyable and comfy pair of shoes :)
0_1.jpg

There are 6 other models aside from those, in tons of other colors. I know of a couple other people that have these on BL. What kinds of activities do you use them for?

I don't own a pair, but: Remember going barefoot as a child? It’s the way you first discovered and conquered your world—without the constraint of shoes. Or the sense of duty you acquired later on.

Yes, I remember going barefoot. What stops you from going barefoot now?!

I run quite a bit and I have a fairly neutral gait. I read a bit about barefoot running and liked what I heard. I decided on a pair of Nike Free's. So far they've been the best running shoes I've ever owned. They have little to no padding, so they train your muscles to feel what it's like to run without a pillow underneath--virtually running barefoot.

BUT, when I go to the track, I take my Nike's off and my barefoot. It is free and I don't have to worry about stepping on things. If you jump on over to YouTube you can see videos of guys that run marathons (on roads) barefoot.

I think that the Vibrams are simply a ploy. Nothing is stopping you from going barefoot. And best of all, it doesn't cost $80.

^The vibrams offer protection for if you want the experience of barefooted-ness while on more rugged terrain. Plus, unfortunately, going completely barefoot in public places is rarely considered acceptable. I don't see the problem, but others do. Been kicked out of many-a-store for not having shoes on. Vibrams = Solved.

StumbleUpon. I 'stumbled' across there website, start reading reviews and researching them. Then proceeded to trying on different models they have and shortly after purchased a pair.

I currently have the KSO model, which is the most versatile style they have from the research I've done. I plan on getting some 'Classics' soon. They are more slipper-like.

Classics:
vibram.jpg

i really appreciate knowing about those shoes btw
its like the future finally came along n is now providing roots to the past

monkey banana

^I completely agree. I could very well see shoes like this becoming the norm. They are already spreading like wildfire, more and more places are beginning to carry them.

I saw someone wearing a pair of these in public...it was interesting. I'm not sure I could bring myself to wear them, personally.

I will concede they are a little more socially-acceptable than being barefoot in most public places.

Kind of related: I knew a guy from my high school that walked across the country mostly barefoot for a nonprofit organization--from his blog, he stated there was a fairly long and painful transition period his once nubile feet went through before they developed rough and thick calluses. Once they did though, he was good to go.

would simply wearing socks fuck this whole this up just a bit?
I think making a habit of going sockless while wearing shoes is kinda smelly IMO.

^I have been wearing them for about two weeks and have yet to get smelly. They have very good airflow through them. Especially the slipper design.

You can also get Injinji sock that work very well with these shoes.
Injiniji-white-micro-fs.jpg

I've had a pair of the 'sprint' model (in-between the KSO and classic), and love 'em. The only thing that I would improve is that the toes in my case need to be a bit longer, and the heel needs a bit better tightening capacity (as I have skinny heels). Otherwise, they are brilliant.

I had the same issue when I was trying on sprints. Thats why I went with KSOs. They have a much more effective way of fitting the heel.

Yeah, I'm not digging the velcro. That's all the shop had though, and I was wary about buying shoes online. The next pair I get will be obtained online if possible.

Really, it's a minor complaint though. I can cinch them up better than my normal running shoes.

i step on a lot of sharp shit i would not want embedded in my foot. are the soles made of kevlar to prevent against that or is it just another middle class version of gypsy living?

They are Vibram soles. I'm not sure of the material, I'll look it up.
The vibram soles are used in hiking boots, work boots, and many other shoes.
I have walked across broken glass on the street without a problem. Unless your walking in a pile of nails i think they'd be fine :)

EDIT: The vibram website says:
SOLE- Vibram TC-1 performance rubber

Depending on model the durability of the sole ranges. For very vigorous use i would go with KSO Treks.

Treks:
large.jpg

Compared to the normal sole:
large.jpg

cool! i just remembered i have vibram soles on my hiking boots and they don't grip all that well in ice but they're pretty hardy. i just realized, these would make AWESOME driving shoes. my footwear often costs me seconds going around the track when they slip off the pedal at a point where my toes aren't fully gripping it on the inside, these would definitely solve that problem. definitely gonna buy these now, thanks for revealing them :D

^I'm glad I could share :)

One thing thats a nice little perk of these shoes, is they are wonderful conversation starters. I get an average of 2-3 people an hour talking to me about my shoes while in public. Lol