• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I can't feel it anymore! (Methadone ?)

ShnoX

Greenlighter
I've been on Methadone for over 3 years now at 150mg and it has definitely helped me quit all opiates and alcohol. I rarely smoke weed anymore and rarely take more than 1mg of xanax a day which I'm prescribed to. I'm actually supposed to take 2mg of xanax a day but I don't need it anymore.

Anyway, my question is about wanting to achieve a decent buzz. I think I'm a safe responsible person and I don't like drinking much but I still would like to get a buzz at least once or twice a month. I've tried taking an extra 150mg of methadone on top of the 150mg I take anyway and I feel okay but no rush like oxy. Some ppl say that if you take xanax at a certain time it can get you high, but I don't want to pass out, I just want to get a buzz. Is there anything I can do to make the methadone kick in stronger like grapefruit juice or benzo's or even H. This isn't something I want to feel everyday, just once in a while when I just want to party. Thanks for the help.

Reme

Methadone isn't that recreational from what I have heard, I've never tried it.

I would taper down with methadone until you're well below 80mg, so that you can enjoy other opiates on top of methadone. Then, on the days you're not enjoying yourself, you still have methadone so you're not in WD.

Methadone isn't that recreational from what I have heard, I've never tried it.

I would taper down with methadone until you're well below 80mg, so that you can enjoy other opiates on top of methadone. Then, on the days you're not enjoying yourself, you still have methadone so you're not in WD.

agreed. IME methadone isn't that much of a drug to try and get high on. If you have no tolerance/ are not an addict sure you can get a little something off of it but at the doses you're taking it really only has one purpose... and it sounds like that's worked great for you! Now that you've been clean a good goal is to eventually ween down. Maybe when your dose drops significantly you can start playing around with it (or others again). As of now, even if you were to take some opies, methadone has somewhat of a blocking characteristic to it.

It sounds as though your dose might not be adequate if you are still wanting to cheat with opiates. Its a moot point because at 150mg, you're not going to be able to get high off any opiates, especially methadone. I can certainly understand the longing for "an occasional buzz", we've all be there. Unfortunately, we addicts don't have the luxury of controlled use.

Ultimately, we all must choose what is important to us. Recognizing that cheating can only endanger our hard-won "sobriety" is crucial to long-term success. The only drug I have come close to managing while on ORT is weed and, even with that I tend to suffer a bit of guilt and anxiety. The times I have tried to cheat with opiates have all been dismal failures as I end up taking vast amounts that have little to no pleasurable affects and tend to kick-start cravings and other discomfort.

I've been in and out of MMT for a few years now and I've tried every which-way there is to get high on opiates while on a MMT dose, and it just isn't possible. You can take extra methadone and it might give you a little bit of a nicer glow-type feeling, but you won't be catching a buzz. You can't get high on opiates while you're on methadone, especially if you are taking a dose like 150mg.

Everything you guys said makes allot of sense. I just thought somethin was wrong with me cuz I couldn't catch a buzz, but I guess it's the methadone doing it's thing by keeping me stable. Should I try 600mg of Tagament or grapefruit juice to potentiate it? Anyway thanks for the great replies!

P.S. I used to roll a few times a year back in '99-'04. Can I roll just as hard while being on Methadone, or will I need more MDMA?

Thanks yall.

If you took a 300mg dose of methadone to catch a buzz and nothing happened it's safe to say your tolerance is so high now you won't be catching an opiate high for a very, very long time (if ever). You'd need to taper down to ~30mg to feel even a slight buzz IMO. Realise doubling your methadone dosage is both dangerous and counterproductive.
I'd recommend you try catching a buzz on something else; I'm not going to recommend anything specific, but no doubt you know your options:
PS. benzo/opiate combo is very dangerous too

I was taking 100mg of methadone a day in attempt to get high from it for a while, it was my drug of choice at the time. I ended up overdosing twice in attempts of getting high from it. Don't try man, I went into cardiac and respiratory arrest because of my stupidity. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

I agree with the above posts. I would try and taper down from the methadone. I know eating the xanax is not a great combo but may start off small. Take half wait etc.....Have you tried Suboxone instead of the Methadone? Maybe its time to change.

On 150mg methadone daily there is no way to change over to a partial agonist like buprenorphine (Suboxone) w/o precipitated WDs. I think he'd need to taper down to ~50mg (not sure.... BLers, am I right??) or even stop taking 'done for 1-2 weeks before he could change, so that's not an option.

I would try and taper down from the methadone. I know eating the xanax is not a great combo but may start off small. Take half wait etc.....

Whilst you're right he should start small if he uses Xanax w/ methadone, I highly recommend not doing this combo as it could easily cause an OD considering the enormous doses used. 300mg methadone may not make you high but 350mg may very well kill you with benzos in your system, so I think my advice to catch a high off a different class of drug is better advice.

Of course someone on daily methadone won't be able to simply stop for any length of time. Realize that "rules" about this kind of thing aren't black and white....some folks have been able to do the methadone > suboxone switch w/o experiencing precipitated withdrawals, but its a huge gamble.

There is very little alchemy in drug use. Grapefruit juice, cimetidine (Tagamet) and the like may act on the liver enzymes that break down opiates, but they certainly won't overcome your tolerance and create euphoria. Read up on methadone's blocking effect and you'll likely gain some insights.

As to other drugs that will be you high while on methadone, there are many. Many of us have approached treatment thinking that if we could somehow control whatever drug we think is causing us pain, we could still use others. While many of us get away with it for a time, it always seems to fail in the end.

Yeah being on that kind of dosage of opiates for that long kind of desensitizes your ability to get high on opiates. Taking high doses might achieve some effects, but likely the only thing you will feel is tired. That warm inviting euphoria will be long gone.

It's sort of characteristic of long acting opiates taken daily - your brain just gets so used to it that there is no longer anything recreational about the opiates anymore.

You are catching a buzz, you are just used it....

It happened to me on methadone, except other could STILL realize you were slurring your speak.,,,

im not saying you should do this BUT as someone who was on methadone for years 120mg's daily...the ONLY way to get an opiate buzz , is to take potentiators (tagamet , grape fruit) in combo with xanax & the methadone....cuz you will not be able to feel ANY opiate , once you pass the 80mg point daily its not even an option..
the grapefriut will poten. the xanax , tagmet will poten. the opiate & xanax will poteniate the opiate/methadone and all these together a nice buzz will be produced
me personally if i was on your dose (i know i will catch hate for this cuz the combo is infamous) i would take 2mg-3mg of xanax , 200-400mg of tagamet , and however much grapefruit you want along with your methadone

im not saying you should do this BUT as someone who was on methadone for years 120mg's daily...the ONLY way to get an opiate buzz , is to take potentiators (tagamet , grape fruit) in combo with xanax & the methadone....cuz you will not be able to feel ANY opiate , once you pass the 80mg point daily its not even an option..
the grapefriut will poten. the xanax , tagmet will poten. the opiate & xanax will poteniate the opiate/methadone and all these together a nice buzz will be produced
me personally if i was on your dose (i know i will catch hate for this cuz the combo is infamous) i would take 2mg-3mg of xanax , 200-400mg of tagamet , and however much grapefruit you want along with your methadone

Thats a good way to die I know 10+ people who have died from mixing methadone with benzo's it can easly make u heart stop... Most people abuse methadone when really its actually a miracle drug for opiate users if u use it correctly it can help you get off opiates, but in result of raising mg's weekly you get this no high what so ever

i take methadone daily and i can take up to 25 10mg methadone pills with no affect, and 10-12 30mg roxi with no effect, the only way you wil get eurphoric is to get off meth and goto herion, but dont do that.

The only time I've gotten a RUSH from methadone, was when I was injecting "biodone" - a form of meth thats much more concentrated than the regular meth and has the appearance of water.

@OP - at 150mg/day methadone, I don't think you have much choice but to forget about getting an opiate buzz for now. I know the amount that is generally needed for a blocking effect is thought to be around 80mg.

So you can either rapidly drop your meth down LOADS, to the point you can feel other opiates on top - or take a different type of drug (non-opiate) to get a buzz. Either one has its pitfulls. Especially if you pick up the crack/crystal pipe.

How about E or acid?

this subject is something i have been battling with a lot lately. im on mmt at 85mg but still really wanna get high all the time, but i can't because of the blocking dose of methadone i'm on. today we got our sunday takehome doses and i took mine as soon as i left the clinic... i know it won't get me high or anything but maybe it'll reduce the cravings a little. People tell me i should up my dose if i get cravings like this all the time, but i don't want to get too high because of the difficulty of the detox whenever that happens.

this subject is something i have been battling with a lot lately. im on mmt at 85mg but still really wanna get high all the time, but i can't because of the blocking dose of methadone i'm on. today we got our sunday takehome doses and i took mine as soon as i left the clinic... i know it won't get me high or anything but maybe it'll reduce the cravings a little. People tell me i should up my dose if i get cravings like this all the time, but i don't want to get too high because of the difficulty of the detox whenever that happens.

Hey man, let me know how the double-dose feels/if it takes away cravings and all. Thanks. I'm on 90mg of methadone (4th week on the program) and I got my sunday takehomes today too but haven't double dosed (still waiting for the 90mg dose to kick in actually.)