• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Mucuna Pruriens

asecin

Bluelighter
In history, M. pruriens has been used as an effective aphrodisiac.[7][8] It is still used to increase libido in both men and women due to its dopamine inducing properties. Dopamine has a profound influence on sexual function.[9][10] A typical dose for a man is 15 g of ground seeds mixed with cow's milk.[1]

In addition to levodopa, Mucuna also contains serotonin (5-HT), 5-HTP, nicotine, N,N-DMT (DMT), bufotenine, and 5-MeO-DMT. As such, it could potentially have psychedelic effects, and it has purportedly been used in ayahuasca preparations

from wiki

can someone confirm all this ? anyone ever tried it and had increased libido, maybe mild euphoric feeling or as far as to go psychedelic effects ? :\

I would think that the drug was used as aphrodisiac solely due the intriguing shape of the fruits.

I doubt the DMT-content unless somebody can confirm this with an authentic reference. Wouldn't be the first time that tryptamines in Fabaceae turn out to be a hoax.

I have no personal experience with this plant.

- Murphy

i'm actually prescribed a supplement called dc5 mucuna and the single ingredient is a 40% extract of mucuna pruriens. I take it morning and dinner and noticed a HUGE difference. It felt like I was having higher levels of dopamine as I was more motivated to do things and I felt like I had a ton of energy.

Anyways, I am a former meth and ecstasy user and this has definitely improved my overall mental health.

What luck! This drug has been my most recent fascination, and I finally stopped by a health food store on the way home and ordered myself a bottle of Solaray DopaBean™ -- Mucuna pruriens in capsule form. Not cheap.

It contains L-dopamine in significant amounts. I've never been able to find a reliable source backing up the rumor that it contains DMT, Nicotine, or any other psychoactive compounds. (The literature and reports on it are scant.) It's taken for people with Parkinson's syndrome, many of who claim it alleviates their symptoms with fewer side effects than pharmaceutical levodopa.

People have taken it and reported higher testosterone levels, increased libido, and increased motivation. Some people have experienced auditory hallucinations and delusions at high doses. I'd be worried about motor problems with chronic use, too.

I want to try it for ADHD, since people with ADHD are theorized to have low dopamine levels in their limbic systems. In modest, therapeutic, sporadic doses, it's got to be healthier than Adderall!

^ L-DOPA, not L-Dopamine - nb. :)

This is a plant best left alone. Even if it doesn't contain Nicotine or Bufotenine (as I believe I read it does), the L-DOPA alone isn't good news.

I have tried Mucuna, and I have tried pure L-DOPA, and both produced some very worrying effects (raised heart-rate, sweaty palms, panic attacks, feeling ill, some psychotic-like things...etc). L-DOPA should not be taken without... I forgot what they call it, the thing that inhibits the enzyme that converts it to DA while still in the blood.

There is a reason Levodopa is usually prescribed with carbidopa.

Last edited:
It felt like I was having higher levels of dopamine as I was more motivated to do things and I felt like I had a ton of energy.

Anyways, I am a former meth and ecstasy user and this has definitely improved my overall mental health.

How does one "feel" that one "was having higher levels of dopamine"?

I have much experience with this herb, and i've written an extensive overview on it. Though i'll post it when i get back home from uni. It works best when taken with EGCG (decarboxylase inhibitor). Some good sources include Green Tea or Kratom. It also needs to be taken on an empty stomach. No protein, carbohydrates, or even vitamins as they may interfere with absorption. B6 and maybe C should be especially avoided. But certain minerals like magnesium or manganese seem to improve the effects slightly. MAO-B inhibitors like selegiline greatly amplify it's effects, and should be co-administered with caution. If you don't take it right, you'll either get zero effects, or an edgy adrenergic stimulation.

Some effects if done right include increased alertness, motivation, libido, mood lift and euphoria at higher doses. You get that pleasant warmness all over your body, just like with opiates minus the sedation. You sleep much more soundly too. If taken on a regular basis it can decrease fat and increase muscle partly from the increase in HGH.

You won't get any psychadelic effects from the DMT/5-MeO-DMT without MAOI's. I don't reccomend smoking it, unless maybe you get the pure uncut herb.

yeh i felt some excitement but i had to take like 12 capsules and it had to be opened and swallowed in powder.
i say its good for n00bs but for experienced drug users this is crap

Yowza. I just picked up a bottle of DopaBean that I ordered. The pills have a third of a gram of M. pruriens each, and claim to be 15% L-dopa by weight (Jamshyd, I stand corrected, not L-dopamine), for a dose of 49.95 mg L-dopa in the raw. This isn't the only catecholamine present in this plant, but the main constituent.

I took one cap with a 750mg Green Tea capsule, for the enzyme (a natural equivalent of Carbidopa) that discourages the cleaving of L-dopa to dopamine outisde the CNS, plus all the stimulant and antioxidant goodness that green tea on its own has to offer. My stomach is otherwise empty.

After about 15 minutes, I'm feeling something. It's a definite 'jacked' or 'turbo' kind of feeling -- I'm about 2/3 sure I find it pleasurable, though it's an odd mental state in some ways too. I'm very much enjoying this local nu jazz station out of a local college town. I remark to myself that it's really brisk, jaunty, sophisticated music. At this point I'm very motivated. I wonder why I don't always bust my ass in school, and joint the honor society or something. I sit down to listen to an mp3 of this lecture we had a few days ago. It's my turn to scribe it, for members of the class who missed it.

Normally it takes me 6+ hours to scribe an hour of lecture. My one-finger typing skills always have gotten the best of my quick spelling and verbal processing. But not tonight. My fingers are flying. I still need to play the lecture at half speed to keep up, but I make a game with myself of seeing how infrequently I need to pause it to catch up. I found I could hold longer sentences in my short term memory than usual, and my spelling and dexterity had fewer errors. But even when I needed to stop and catch up or correct myself, I don't feel the usual sense of frustration or failure at all. It's a comparable feeling to climbing a mountain, and being 3/4 of the way to the summit and on the VERGE of quitting and sitting down, but then filled with a resolutely happy sense that no, I CAN do this to completion.

I was hard to interrupt. I was glued to the task, you could say. But not irritable. The only thing that drew me away was an unshakable quandry as to why Doraemon never became popular in the US, though he's known throughout much of the world.

lrg-576-doraemon-anime-cat-japan.jpg

Doraemon

So I ended up reading a good bit about Doraemon. Still never learned why the English speaking world has given this world-famous cartoon character the cold shoulder. As I returned to my scribe, Doraemon was a recurrent intrusive thought. He seemed very important and germaine to the task I had to accomplish, which didn't strike me as strange in the least.

I can almost compare the state I was in to the very first few minutes after drinking a good strong fresh cup of coffee. A very brisk, jaunty feeling. But it was sustained, and not jittery or jangly in the least. It was not wholly unlike amphetamines, without any rushes. My thoughts were full and lush, and a little strange, but not racing.

I got the scribe done in a total of 3 hours.

I slept 6 hours that night, a little short for my standards, but I woke up feeling great, after not too many dreams. I still, about 24 hours after first taking the M. pruriens, feel a bit different. It's had lasting antidepressant effects, I feel, and motivational ones two. There's some odd effect on my verbal processing I can't quite put my finger on, too.

I somehow don't think this is a good supplement to be taking immoderately. I plan on only using it when I need it, because I think it might make a good substitute for Adderall.

Last edited:
^ I personally think it's his conspicuous lack of ears that made him unacceptable to English-speaking audiences. Which is strange, because characters with other missing body parts (Hello Kitty having no mouth, for instance, or many other characters lacking noses) haven't had much of a problem. Missing ears, though, is an oddity.

Also, do you think that your analysis might be biased by the fact that you're paying close attention to yourself for any signs of improvement? I intend to try the L-DOPA + green tea extract in the doses you mentioned (my local vitamin store carries both), so hopefully I'll be letting you know about my results soon. I'm pretty sure they'll be glowing, since I tend to suffer greatly from the placebo effect. :\ Piracetam, for instance...

^ You're right, I meant that somewhat tongue in cheek. It doesn't potentiate MDMA greatly as I expected it to, but yes, it definitely has a ton of interesting effects. I was especially surprised that I could drink a cup of coffee and be wired for hours off of it.

Off topic, but how do you dose your Piracetam? I was always afraid of either over- or under-doing it. Do you take choline with it as well? I've been taking choline citrate with it, but I'm not sure on the dosage of that either.

As for the L-DOPA, I intend to try that this weekend. I'm excited. :)

I take 800-1000mg of piracetam in powdered form in the morning, with a healthy gulp of liquid lecithin (a choline source). Piracetam without choline isn't nearly as efficacious, and may just give you a headache. I rarely see a need to redose piracetam throughout the day.

LOL awesome trip report. You really ought to write more TRs dave :). Yes, I too have pondered the Doraemon enigma in the past. I think that North Americans are just too cynical. It is like the music of Enigma. Everyone in the world listens to it, except North Americans.

I somehow don't think this is a good supplement to be taking immoderately. I plan on only using it when I need it, because I think it might make a good substitute for Adderall.

Honestly, dave, I really think you ought not to use this at all beyond the novel curiosity of this time.

Certainly, not to use it as mucuna... if you insist on using it, I really would recommend getting some pharmaceutical L-Dopa + Carbidopa (forgot what the medication was named).

mydoorsopen, couldnt u tell us how u felt in few sentences ? u wrote so much shit about ur day to day life like anyone cares to read it but put few explaination of mucuna. this isnt "read my life stories" thread so i really got bored reading what u said.

mydoorsopen, couldnt u tell us how u felt in few sentences ? u wrote so much shit about ur day to day life like anyone cares to read it but put few explaination of mucuna. this isnt "read my life stories" thread so i really got bored reading what u said.

8)
Ask somebody else then.

anyway doreomon had horrible games released for the old famcom systems. :|

Wow. This just might very well be a life-changing plant. I feel a very similar sort of opening up, of letting go, as happens on MDMA or LSD, and I've only taken it twice, spaced 5 days apart. It's a very long-lasting subtle effect, with many many layers and stages to it, from mania to profound inner peace, but with an ultra clarified consciousness throughout it all, and an immense sense of joy in the small things of life everywhere. And a libido to beat the fucking band.

Jamshyd, do you have a source saying M. pruriens is toxic in humans? I've been searching for the past few days, and can't come up with anything that says that. Besides, I'm taking it at a dose far less than someone would use to treat parkinson's, and am seriously considering taking only half or a quarter capsule next time.

An interesting effect I've noticed is getting more out of my gym workouts than before. I just feel 'better worked out', and feel my exercise has helped my body grow stronger, since the two times I've used M. pruriens. I suppose some of those catecholamines lead to higher testosterone.

Tsukasa, how big a dose did you take of this plant, and how long? What effects did you notice long term?