• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Mucuna Pruriens

I take 800-1000mg of piracetam in powdered form in the morning, with a healthy gulp of liquid lecithin (a choline source). Piracetam without choline isn't nearly as efficacious, and may just give you a headache. I rarely see a need to redose piracetam throughout the day.

Strange, it's the opposite for me. The lecithin yields the headaches.

I'd had access to purified levo-DOPA a while ago but wasn't interested at all. I guess I'm just afraid of the way it progressively debilitates persons with Parkinson's disease.

does anyone know how mucuna pruriens would differ in its mechanism of action from say, selegiline????

l-DOPA, the active constituent, is a biological precursor to dopamine that becomes metabolized to it, whereas l-deprenyl inhibits the catabolism of dopamine by MAO-B.

mydoorsopen, you owe me man. i got u hooked on that shit. if it wasnt for this thread and me discussing it, u would still be doing ur average drugs.

While I don't have academic research to back me up, I will tell you that I did not exactly enjoy patkinson's-like writhing, or the (alien) voices I heared randomly.

Jamshyd, what dose did you take? What else did you take with it?

I definitely experienced a little bit of mild mania the first day that I took it, on both occasions. I had odd intrusive thoughts, thought I saw things out of the corner of my eye a few times, and definitely have taken more joy in all pleasurable things, since trying this. I had a few tics at first, that's the most bothersome side effect.

I've read as much literature as I could find about this substance on the net. It seems the jury is still out on its safety, but it would seem I'm taking it conservatively (only twice, only 333mg of extract), compared to many reports I've read of people who've used it much more and in larger doses, and are fine, physically and mentally. I agree that this is a plant to treat with great respect, and never abuse. More is not better, and nor is more often. Mania and psychosis are real risks with this, especially for people with family histories of either one, or people who are under great stress, I'd imagine.

I've also talked to two of my professors about this plant, and about the enzymatic cleaving of L-dopa into dopamine in general. Only one had heard of this supplement, and he said the side effect and toxicity profile wasn't as high as that of pharmaceutical L-dopa, though no one knows quite why. They both said that in most cases, few of the catecholamines stand a chance of making it to the brain at all, when taken orally.

Essentially, L-dopa crosses the blood brain barrier and gets taken up by axons. It's then cleaved inside the cells into DA, and packaged into vesicles. So it's not like there are DA receptors being bombarded willy nilly by free molecules of DA in the bloodstream, the way I'd imagined it. But what does happen when you take L-dopa (or 5-htp, if we're talking serotonin -- same enzyme!), is that your DA neurons get their neurotransmitter vesicles filled to the brim, and often spill over when the vesicles just get too full or too numerous. This is where dosing gets important, I would think. I want to keep my stocks of DA up. I do NOT want to exceed that, because the psychological and neurological symptoms of too much dopaminergic stimulation aren't fun. Also, the metabolic breakdown products of all that excess dopamine must exert some oxidative stress (my biochem chops aren't that great -- I'll need one of you ADD gurus to confirm this).

This explains why I've found this chemical to have a long-term antidepressant effect, long after the less pleasant (but in me, mild) effects wore off. I have essentially the opposite of synaptic fatigue and neurotransmitter depletion.

I think I'm only going to take this, perhaps even less than one whole cap, when I feel the symptoms of low dopaminergic tone.

asecin said:
mydoorsopen, you owe me man. i got u hooked on that shit. if it wasnt for this thread and me discussing it, u would still be doing ur average drugs.

:) Don't flatter yourself too much there, boss. I'd actually ordered this supplement before you made this thread.

I take 100 mg of l-dopa (from mucuna pruriens) every day when I wake up and 100 mg of 5-htp every night before I go to bed. I've done this for several months now. It has had a noticeably beneficial effect on my chronic depression. I have previously taken MANY different SSRI's over the years and my l-dopa/5-htp combo works at least as well if not better. The only negative side effect I have experienced from the mucuna pruriens (l-dopa) is that sometimes I used to get a mild warm flushy feeling in my face and chest. A good side effect from it is that it increased my sexdrive significantly and still does to an extent, though I think I am becoming tolerant to that great side effect (dammit!). The 5-htp does not cause major side effects for me at the dosage I am taking. Although, unlike the l-dopa, the 5-htp tends to DECREASE my sexdrive and make it more difficult to get an erection and orgasm. At larger dosages (like 300 mg or so) the 5-htp tends to make me nauseated. At my usual dosage it helps me sleep better and used to help me have more vivid dreams.

It's important to note that you should not take the l-dopa and the 5-htp at the same time as they will cancel each other out and will not be as effective. Just take the l-dopa when you wake up and the 5-htp before you go to bed. It works much better that way. By the way, I am a very small guy so my dosage may or may not be different than the dosage you need. I am only about 5'5 and weigh roughly 120 LBS. Taking the mucuna pruriens l-dopa on a full stomach (especially with a stomach full of protein-rich foods) slows it's release. Take the mucuna pruriens l-dopa about 45 mins or so before you eat in the morning.

Jamshyd, the word you're looking for is "DOPA decarboxylase inhibitor".

Incidentally, 5-htp is also best used with a dopa decarboxylase inhibitor.

I buy mucuna powdered (not concentrated) from starwest botanicals and make my own capsules.

I have noticed it does seem to help me when I am wanting to do something but finding it hard to get motivated. It also boosts sexual desire and I believe increases the intensity of orgasm. These are subjective experiences and each persons metabolism is different. I also find it has a calming effect. I have to watch the dosing carefully because too much causes dopiness ( loss of cordination and difficulty in abstract thinking).

I think very often it is better to take a plant (herbal) raw sometimes there are other chemicals in the plant which contribute to its metabolism and effects. When supplement companies concentrate and standardize the dose you wind up taking something much more strong in effects and not necessarily what the original herb/plant would have given you. I have tried L-Dopa/carbidopa and just a tiny bit sent me dopy. The mucuna is much more subtle and gentler effect.

salat

I bought some of these, not to get high, just to see if I could get more energy and feel better in general. I'm taking 700 mg of m pruriens per day. It doesn't tell me what percentage of L-dopa that is. I'm feeling more energy and motivation for sure. It's subtle but it's there. I am going to gradually up the dose and see what happens.

Is how you take this herb going to make or break it having an effect? For instance with green tea, on an empty stomach, etc?
I have a bottle of 100mg seed and 500mg stem per caplet, and it insinuates this is equivalent to 15 mg L-DOPA ~ I took these for awhile and felt more of the 'edgy adrenal stimulation' aspect. Would like to take them and enjoy them...

Ive taken it a few times with a couple times where crazy stuff happened.

Once with a bunch of poly-recetam dosing, I had a crazy dream where I flashed back to the early days of me taking X with my old group and we where watching a clock.

another time I just put shitloads of the extract into a water bottle and was just taking drinks off of it(I duno why, I think to make my self drowsey or something)
I awoke with the most insain BP like 20 or 30 minutes after I had slept, like I had woke up into an orgasm or sniffing isobutyl. I remember thinking "I might be having a heart attack." but then shrugged it off and fell back asleep or it reversed.

I duno about it I think I reallY wasnt taking it with green tea that much, but I didnt crave it as nearly as much as amphetamine at the time. It seemed to atleast always make me slightly psychotic but it might have been with the speed abuse around that time as well.