• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Z-Drugs vs. Benzos - How are they different?

Sweet P

Bluelighter
I know z-drugs (zopiclone, zolpidem, etc.) are traditionally thought of as less addictive than benzos, but I'm wondering how much of this is true? I'm aware that z-drugs can be habit-forming like benzos, but how different is the tolerance and withdrawal effects? Better, worse, or much the same?

I've been on temazepam for the last month or so to treat insomnia, but my doc is now thinking of tapering it down and maybe switching to zopiclone instead. Probably because he sees zopiclone as a slightly safer alternative. He also said zopiclone would give me a better quality of sleep... it doesn't suppress the natural sleep stages as much as benzos do.

Thoughts? :)

The two 'z-drugs' you mentioned are hypnotics, while benzodiazepines are tranquilizers. They are also slightly less addictive than benzos. Both will increase non-rem sleep leading to unbalanced rest and therefore ideally should be used as prn medicines.

I'd switch from temazepam to diazepam for a while. Let valium be a buffer between your next hypnotic benzo - and I would suggest one of two:

midazolam, or flurazepam.

Both are extremely efficient for sleeping purposes.

I personally wouldn't mess with the Z class.

Both are also extremely addictive, at least when compared to z-drugs.

z-drugs are pretty damn addictive themselves.

I couldn't hold onto a bottle of ambien for more than two days, got switched to temazepam and they make it 3 weeks minimum every month.

so for me I would stay on the temazepam. If midazolam and flurazepam are on the menu than sure....but most people can't just tell there doctor theyd like to try halcion, nah mean?

i find Z drugs to be less physically and mentally addictive. the fact that the ambien high for me is always goes hand in hand with hallucinations makes it less desirable for me. after two-three weeks of ambien almost every night i suffered no withdrawals.

Midazolam isn't even prescribed in the US. Flurazepam and halcion are prescribed with a frequency slightly above never. I worked in a pharmacy for about a year and neither of those bottles left the shelf once.

Sweet P - if you can get the desired effects from zopliclone, I can't think of any reason not to switch. All things being equal, I'd rather be dependent on a z-drug than a benzo. :\

I was on zolpidem, then switched to temazepam

After about a month of the zolpidem, I had to start taking two. Then even after doing 15 days on 15 days off for a couple months, two wouldn't cut it. I would still get the hallucinations/loopiness and sort of uncontrollable, racing thoughts, and I wouldn't be able to fall asleep until it wore off

After being off it for two or three months, my doc prescribed it again, and my tolerance hadn't gone down at all. Was still useless

So now I alternate between 50mg Seroquel and 30mg Temazepam + 50mg Trazodone. Works great

Thanks for the replies, folks! It's given me a lot to think about.

So now I alternate between 50mg Seroquel and 30mg Temazepam + 50mg Trazodone. Works great

Yeah I also use seroquel sometimes. 50mg knocks me out pretty quickly, but it leaves me feeling like a complete zombie the next day, so it's not something I use regularly.

I'd switch from temazepam to diazepam for a while. Let valium be a buffer between your next hypnotic benzo - and I would suggest one of two:

midazolam, or flurazepam.

Both are extremely efficient for sleeping purposes.

I personally wouldn't mess with the Z class.

Depending on where the OP lives, doctors in the U.S. are not going to prescribe midazolam or flurazepam. As JC said, they are NEVER prescribed. They are legal but there are much better medications for insomnia which at this point in time U.S. doctors are taking advantage of. Temazepam has high hypnotic properties and is more commonly prescribed than valium. Ambien(zolpidem) has a short half life and is usually prescribed for people who are having trouble falling asleep. That might be an option. Another option is Lunesta(eszopiclone) with a longer half life for people who have trouble staying asleep.

There really is no need for a "buffer" between benzos and z-class drugs. A short simple taper will work depending on how long and the dose the users been on. It is just not necessary to switch to another benzo(valium) and then another drug like ambien(zolpidem).

Personally I have been on both zolpidem and eszopiclone and both worked well. I like eszopiclone better because of the longer half life, but thats just my opinion.

Yeah I also use seroquel sometimes. 50mg knocks me out pretty quickly, but it leaves me feeling like a complete zombie the next day, so it's not something I use regularly.

Yeah I see people mentioning that a lot, but as long as don't get only a really small amount of sleep I'm fine

Midazolam isn't even prescribed in the US.
I didn't know what "down the rabbit hole" meant in terms of residency.

Flurazepam and halcion are prescribed with a frequency slightly above never. I worked in a pharmacy for about a year and neither of those bottles left the shelf once.
That's sad, more people should try flurazepam. It's just splendid.

I guess I got lucky in getting to try it. It's a very potent benzo for someone without a tolerance.

Does someone know if there's cross-tolerance between benzos and Z drugs? If not switching is a good idea.

The two 'z-drugs' you mentioned are hypnotics, while benzodiazepines are tranquilizers. They are also slightly less addictive than benzos. Both will increase non-rem sleep leading to unbalanced rest and therefore ideally should be used as prn medicines.

Although benzos are sometimes referred to as 'minor tranquilizers' this is misleading because they are not pharmacologically related to the major tranquilizers (like thorazine and haloperidol). Benzos have various properties; most are some combination of anxiolytic, hypnotic, sedative, amnestic and muscle relaxant.

I don't know all the pharmacology that well but from my understanding z drugs and benzos both work on the GABA system but z drugs have a higher selectivity and that is why they are hypnotic but don't produce the other aforementioned therapeutic effects that the benzos do.

for me personally, the z-drugs were more addictive than temazepam.

not only that, the z-drugs can make you blackout and go crazy if you aren't careful...

Sonata

Oh man, sonata (aka zaleplon) capsules 10 mg are the shiiiiiit. Most docs are pretty easy-going with this particular Z-variant which is a perk. Pour out like 20 mg and snort it hard and fast and within 10 sec it hits you. It is such a crazy feeling, like being sedated and tripping at the same time. It has the definite feel of a serotonin 5Ht2A agonist like LSD and Psilocybin, but it also has a powerful anxiolytic effect like a benzo.

All in all, a very fun drug for hangin out with friends (atleast for me...I don't actually hallucinate on any Z-drugs like some ppl). It is very psychologically addictive though; you just wanna keep snorting more b/c its a short lived high.

I am not sure how it actually works via the insufflation route, b.c it is not water soluble. But I have tried oral at higher doses and it just isnt the same. Strong amnesic as well.

Don't listen to me I'm not a Doc just a Med student

That's sad, more people should try flurazepam. It's just splendid.

I guess I got lucky in getting to try it. It's a very potent benzo for someone without a tolerance.

I had flurazepam (Dalmane) in 1984 and didn't enjoy it. It definitely will put you to sleep but leaves you groggy as hell for most of the next day. Alas, they never gave me Placidyl and I came up too late to get Quaaludes.