Abbreviation thread?

andreas

Bluelighter
Is there a thread for all the abbreviations we use. Maybe it's just me coz this is the first internet forum I have ever been part of, but it would be a great help to other people when they first start out. The common ones are fine and most are not that hard to figure out. It is just a thought.

thank you support <3=D<3

Actually if you would like to start by listing abbreviations you use or don't understand on BL, then others join in, we would have a source thread for adding to the Common abbreviations and terminology in The Greenlighter's Guide. Looking at the list I might add ime (in my experiance),imo (in my opinion), atm (at the moment) and QFT (quoted for truth). QFT requires some internet history and context but GG might not be the place to go into it as there is always the Urban Dictionary.

sounds good I'll look for them and start, can't think of the ones I don't know...damn

i've been meaning to do some work on that, actually.

in the mean time, i've added a link to www.urbandictionary.com which will probably cover anything missing.

here is the current version before i change anything else.

ROAR? GTFO. ;)
Common abbreviations and terminology

by liquidocean
("A Guide To Bluelight Acronyms" originally posted 16 May 2000)

BLUELIGHT / NET TERMS
BL - Bluelight
PLUR - peace, love, unity, respect
FAQ - frequently asked questions
ASAP - as soon as possible
IMHO - in my honest/humble opinion
WTF? - what the fuck?
LOL - laughing out loud
LMAO - laughing my ass off
ROTFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my ass off
A/S/L - age, sex, location
S/O - significant other (boyfriend, girlfriend)
ROAR - right of admission refusal
Troll - a non-person who spends their energy disrupting the normal flow of the Bluelight community
YMMV - your mileage may vary
OP - Original Poster
SWIM - Someone who isn't me; use of this term is discouraged on BL
FOAF - Friend of a friend
tl;dr - Too long; didn't read

wtf's ROAR? i seen it but never really thought about....

They didn't have as many awesome things in May 2000 as they do now.

And has anyone seen any PLUR lately?

I've been here a while but there's still some out there that I still miss.

What's IIRC?

I'm going to look it up.

Ah, it's IF I can Remember Correctly.

It's funny the sentences IIRC and AFAIK (As Far As I Know) are in still make sense even if you omit the acronym.

oooh good one, I never even realized that I didnt know what IIRC meant!

I always thought QFT was Quote For Today (meaning; best quote I've seen today), apparently it's Quoted For Truth, I learned something today.

I also thought FTW meant For The World (as in "spread" to the world) but I've heard it means For The Win

Hey Bauer095, nice to see you. I always thought "quite fucking true" also, I think that is what it has become is a positive affirmation of someone's post. Historically it was to get something that someone said "on the record" so that they couldn't edit it out. Usually a proposition or assertion that hurt someone's credibility or case in an argument and was very likely to disappear. So it has gone from being about highlighting something as shameful or stupid to highlighting something as accurate or insightful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to think SWIM meant Someone Who I Met....

What about BTW, By The Way....?

I also thought FTW meant For The World (as in "spread" to the world) but I've heard it means For The Win

Also "fuck the world," but I don't think you find it being used that way here.
Here is will mean "for the win" 99 times out of 100.

MMT = methadone maintenance therapy
PAWS = post acute withdrawal syndrome
ROA = route of administration
DOC = drug of choice
dnftt = do not feed the trolls
p450, CYP, CYP450 = Cytochrome P450 a series of related enzymes involved in all kinds of things, usually talked about here because they are means of metabolizing many psychotropic drugs and useful for anticipating interactions or knowing how to potentiate certain drugs
cwe = cold water extraction
OD = a new comer would think overdose, which it could be, but on Bluelight OD most often means Other Drugs one of our focus forums
HR = Harm Reduction
LE = law enforcement
LEO = law enforcement officer
OC, Oxy = oxycontin
hppd = hallucinogen persisting perception disorder
oev = open eye visuals
cev = closed eye visuals
DA = dopamine
5-HT = serotonin, when followed by a number or number and letter often means a specific serotonin receptor e.g. 5HT-2A
RC = research chemical

oh the profanity!

UTFSE = use the fucking search engine
RTFG = read the fucking guidelines
GTFO = get the fuck out

UTFSE & UTFSF are discouraged these days. Its considered far better to answer someone and explain how you got the answer. A UTFSE is seen as something that makes newcomers feel unwelcome and that stifles participation more than it gets people into the habit of using the search function.

SWIM = hey law enforcement, it was definitely me who did this