Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 2/2/09 'Girl dies of Big Day Out drug overdose'

expothead

Bluelighter
A 17-year-old girl has died of a suspected ecstasy overdose after being rushed to hospital from the Perth Big Day Out.
Police have launched an investigation into who may have supplied the pills, after the girl's friends told investigators she had taken more than one, PerthNow reports.

The girl was attended to by paramedics after collapsing at the Big Day Out at Claremont Showgrounds. She was rushed by ambulance to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, but later died.

Seven festival-goers were hospitalised with drink and alcohol-related problems yesterday.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24995769-29277,00.html

(note the way their calling it the Big Day Out drug. nice one.)

Last edited:
I bet the drug was either a pill with PMA in it or that she took to much fanta... Either that or she just took an ordinary pill with an MDxx substance in it and she didn't drink enough water and collapsed from dehydration.

It's got to be something like that cause it is very rare that people die from plain old ecstasy, I wonder if they will release a report of what she actually took after they do the biopsy..?

Yeah my mate just texted me about this. PMA was the first thing that popped in to my head.

Still, what a fucking tragedy. Shit like this should not have to happen :(

Extreme heat any multiple pills can & will kill you plain and simple , even if its not pma.

it would be good if they told us what pills so we knew what to look for and see if others have had any problems.

just sounds like a girl who over did it on a VERY hot day ....

The heat was terrible and if you were in a crowd it was so much hotter.
The girl probably didnt want to lose her spot in the crowd, and kept dancing without water :(

Teen dead after Perth Big Day Out
2nd February 2009, 10:15 WST

A 17-year-old girl has died in hospital after collapsing at Perth’s Big Day Out yesterday afternoon.

The girl was taken to the on-site first aid tent before dying later in Sir Charles Gairdner hospital.

It is believed she died after a drug overdose at the Claremont Showgrounds event.

Organised crime squad detectives are investigating the incident, as standard procedure for suspected illicit drug overdoses.

Friends of the dead teenager told police she had taken several ecstacy pills.

It is understood the teenager collapsed about 1pm, soon after being on a ride at the festival.

The girl had reportedly been dropped at the Claremont Showgrounds by her mother.

Friends claimed she had taken a pill before she arrived and then took more as she waited in line because she was frightened that she would be searched on entry.

A St John Ambulance spokesman said officers had taken seven people to hospital with alcohol or drug-related problems.

More than 350 people received medical attention at the Big Day Out yesterday.

Drugs including methamphetamine, cannabis and dexamphetamine were seized by police, mainly as revellers tried to enter the venue.

Overall, 55 people were arrested for drug possession, three for sell and supply drugs, four for possessing drug implements and two for possessing weapons.

There were over 40 people received alcohol infringements which included underage drinking, drinking outside licensed areas and trying to smuggle alcohol inside the showgrounds.

Four people were arrested for disorderly conduct.

Fatal ecstasy overdoses are uncommon, and generally occur when the body overheats and dehydrates.

Users have also been known to die after consuming excessive amounts of water to compensate for the overheating sensation.

However, bad batches of ecstasy have caused deaths in recent years. In 2004, police and health authorities in WA were on alert after ecstasy containing paramethoxyamphetamine, or PMA, was discovered in WA.

Ecstasy containing PMA was linked to the death of a 19-year-old Sydney woman and a string of severe overdoses in the Eastern States.

The West Australian

i heard about this on the radio, her friend said to them they saw the sniffer dogs at the entrance so she freaked out and took her 3 pills at once.
thats such a load of bullshit. a crowd of 20,000 at summerdayze and they arrested 120 - a crowd of 38,000 at Big Day Out and they only arrested 70. shit when will they give upp.

we dropped all ours before because we saw a police car, got to our entrance [which wasnt the train station] and there were no sniffers. was good but wouldnt have been really really nice to been peaking for prodigy.. roll was way over by then.

Teenager dead after drug overdose at Big Day Out

* Joseph Sapienza and Aja Styles
* February 2, 2009 - 11:58AM

A 17-year-old girl who was taken to hospital after a suspected drug overdose at yesterday's Big Day Out has died overnight.

It is understood the teenager was treated at a first-aid post for a suspected ecstasy overdose before she was rushed to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.

The Police Major Crime Squad and Organised Crime Squad is now launching inquiries to find where the drugs came from and to see if someone could be charged.

A friend of the family told 6PR radio that the girl took three ecstasy tablets before entering the festival's gates after she spotted police searching for drugs.

The woman said the girl then went on a ride with friends when she began to shake and her lips turned blue.

Within moments she collapsed and was taken to hospital, where she died early this morning.

Police confirmed the girl had taken a number of pills before entering the event.

They said the death would form part of an ongoing investigation into the sale and supply of drugs in the Perth metropolitan area.

The cause of girl's death is yet to be confirmed by a post-mortem examination.

Police with sniffer dogs laid about 60 charges for drug-related offences at the Showgrounds train station in a major operation targeting festival-goers yesterday.

They charged 55 people with possession, three people with intent to sell or supply and four with possessing smoking implements.

Drugs seized included ecstasy, methamphetamine, cannabis and dexamphetamine.

Another 32 people were charged with liquor infringements and six people were charged with disorderly conduct.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/teenager-dead-after-drug-overdose-at-big-day-out-20090202-7v9v.html

This is horrible news. I hope all her friends and family are dealing ok.

Dropping three at once just to not get busted doesn't seem worth it.

new story says she downed 3 pills before even getting in the grounds... scared of getting caught out by police.

hmm...

edit: geez im slow

her lips turned blue :S and she started to shake? what do you reckon that was??

Hrm i was there the whole day and didn't even hear of this...the heat was shocking though.. i cant believe they didn't put up any shaded area's with sails.

And yes, within the crowd it was more like 43C.. i know after Pendulum i was so heatstroked that i had to go sit down, cause i was starting to feel sick.

I didnt see any dogs, i assumed they were at the actual train station, with a similar operation as they had at Summadayze.

This is the worst thing that could happen to someone who's out there to enjoy the day.

Terrible, terrible news.

Sadly I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, I've seen on several occasions people taking their whole supply when they've seen dogs approach. Not smart, but then again they're young and they shit themselves over what mum and dad is going to say, which in that split moment seems worse punishment than what can actually happen.

OMG what a tragedy. My heart goes out to her friends and family. I had a feeling before the Big Day Out that there would be a few sick pillers there because of the heat. I heard that BDO organisers put up extra mist/cool down tents because of the expected heat. Poor girl, 17 is too young to die.

Even downing 3 pills at once should not of killed her... There most definitely would of had another substance in them that should not of been their!

Also I thought that Big Day Out was an 18+ event, I could be wrong, but what was a 17 year old girl doing at the event?

It's a sad day when things like this happen, I couldn't even start to believe how her friends and family would be feeling...

The police can't say they are supriised this has happend, we and plenty others have been whineing about people eating all their drugs on sight of the dogs for ages. Have we reached a point where the police believe drugs are so morally wrong that they will hunt the users to their deaths and the deaths are acceptable? (higher up cops anyway)

Will they give them selfs a pat on their back when they catch the dealer and not feel in the slightest bit guilty, that if they wernt their, this probably wouldn't have happened?

Heck the governemnt might give them a pay rise to fight this drug problem.

Another casuality of the war on drugs, "collateral" the government might think.

Poor chick, RIP

Even downing 3 pills at once should not of killed her... There most definitely would of had another substance in them that should not of been their!
Im not sure about this, dumping 3 pills could contribute to her death though fair easu IMO. Hard to speculate until a coroners report is released. I know I got a rediciously high tolerance and when I double dump (clean mdma) pills my temperate sky rockets and I sweat like crazy, like a fountain off my face, if theyre dirty with meth it gets even worse. Seeing it was stinking hot that day (pretty sure close to 40 degrees), at that age she most likely wouldnt be very well educated/low tolerance so IMO a good chance overheating contributed to her death.

This is what we are all afraid of !!!! being molested by a police dog then strip searched and given the rough treatment from the nazi police ...

so we dump all our drugs at once when we see the nazi police ...

the fear of being in trouble with the police can be hazardous to people i.e. like this girl ...

Maybe catching someone with a pill or two should be given a caution then this would not happen..

Laws need to be changed ... I think being in posession of 2 or 3 pills is personal use but in the eyes of the law one is enough to take you to court ... its a fucking joke ...