• Words Moderators: Mysterier

The Words Contest (poll added)

contest format?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehm

Bluelight Crew
Hello. Our esteemed administrator TheLoveBandit has suggested we have a Words forum contest. The winner could be given a special title such as Words Contest Master..or something to that effect.

Now I ask you what type of contest?

Some suggestions so far are a list of characters or a specific circumstance that everyone has to use in their story. For instance, every one has to write about a child misbehaving in a classroom.

What type of length constraints would you like to see?

What are some good titles for the winner?

Will their be certain voting criteria?

Any other suggestions?

This could be fun, I hope we make it happen :)

hmmmz...this is a good idea! I like the "specific circumstance" idea, or even just modelling around the same theme so as not to come across as too gimmicky.....and then the winner could suggest the theme for the next contest maybe?

You could give everyone a timeframe to have something posted, then at the end of it make a poll with everyone's names who entered to select the winner?

I like KING OF EVERYTHING EVER as a winner's title. Failing that, Words Contest Master is okay too.. ;)

words are weird when you stop and think about it.

so you really live up a dirt road by the ocean? that's so sweet.

I just noticed this words forum (somehow I overlooked it until this point). I think a writing or words contest is a great idea. How about creating an monthly award for whoever displays the greatest writing skills?

I appreciate well-written posts and I can think of a few people I would nominate.

I think we should change it from story telling, to a gangster rap battle. Whoever humiliates his opponent into submission would be given the title: "Grand Master"

:D

totally :D SLO central Cal yo

You lucky so and so.
I love SLO, Pismo, that whole area is so damn beautiful.
I wish I lived up there. Maybe I will move there someday. I've thought about it a lot.

I feel this art is so subjective and personal, that judgment for a contest has adverse effects on the art and artist.

I think a relatively low word limit would be good to have, in order to stroke the most out of the writing and make sure that each submission gets read.

And maybe "Word Perfect", as a nice geek reference for a title.;)

I think we should change it from story telling, to a gangster rap battle. Whoever humiliates his opponent into submission would be given the title: "Grand Master"

:D

I think there's room for both.....I can't rap for shit, but I am a good writer otherwise. And we've already got the freestyle thread anyways...

I too am thinking a low word limit story or poem is best. While subjective for sure, we could have contests every month or so. This way the title rotates.

And "Word Perfect" ftw :)

I think there's room for both.....I can't rap for shit, but I am a good writer otherwise. And we've already got the freestyle thread anyways...

I was pretty much joking :p

This is a good idea. True that judgment of words is arbitrary that is lessened by having predefined criteria. Perhaps we can do a poll like SO does for their art contests. A for the people response keeps the judging arbitrary and not biased in the hands of a few selective judges.

so perhaps we should discuss the first topic and length constraint?

It should be short enough that it doesn't take forever to read, because I don't know how much time peeps have to wade through 10 or 20 novellas regularly....

As for topic, I reckon you should just spring it on us Mehm! :D

How about "walking down the street after a party". A rough length guideline is, 'not to long'. We'll take a week to write our stories and maybe a week to vote??

Does that sound about right?

I'll chime in and say a short story limited to 2,000 or so words would be fine. 'Not too long' is just too open-ended. I think rather than have a specific set of characters or circumstances it would be better that everyone have the same opening line or paragraph; that would provide a more varied pool of submissions I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.