• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Why is coke so expensive?

xxanxx

Bluelighter
I'm not really a cokehead but I do enjoy the occasional line. My question, why the fuck is it so expensive? I mean, is it because they know people will pay it? Or does it really cost that much to make? I think not!! I dunno, around here, it's $100 a gram!

Yeah, people will pay it so why should dealers go cheaper. Law enforcement effects the cost also. Do you think a cartel eats the loss when huge quantities get seized? We do. Also penalties are so extreme for coke that someone would be a fool if they didnt get every penny they could out of their product.

The cost of cocaine, as any other drug, is more the farther you are from the points of entry as well as the farther done the line from the main source. Plus, traditionally cocaine has been a very expensive drug so that plays a part also. Cocaine can run anywhere from 8-10k a kilo at the border (our side) to 20k a kilo in the upper states. And, of course, those prices fluctuate with where one is in the loop.
Monitors: If I have voilated the board rule on prices with my reply please edit this post!

Originally posted by Effigy:
...Law enforcement effects the cost also. Do you think a cartel eats the loss when huge quantities get seized? We do.
No, most of the time the cartel (if that is the word you choose) absorbs these hits. The loss of 2-3 shipments over x period of time is factored in and is an expected cost of doing business. Now, if something changed and a very significant amount of shipments started to get popped then things might be different. However, even since the 9.11.01 terror attacks and the subsequent tightening of the border, prices in the southwest have not changed. Keep in mind: there are a LOT of smaller players in the drug smuggling business and there part in the overall picture is large.
The wholesale cost of cocaine has been lower now and throughout the 90's then prices in the earlier 80's.

thats uper expensive here in Canada i pay 70-75 dollars for a gram and thats cdn currency not us. so what u are paying for 1 gram here i can get 2 for that price.

we in england pay standard £50($75). the reason coke is so expensive is because it has always been associated with rich people and has petered down into mainstream drug use but the people at the top want prices to remain high. they know people will pay them. i read a book on drug dealing(cockey warrens biography, the most famous drug importer in england.) and he paid £3000 for a kilo which works out at about $4500 a kilo which is $4.5 A gram, which is also 90% pure. we pay $75 for stuff which can be as low as %40 pure.
hasnt anyone wondered why drug dealers tend to have shit loadsa money cars and girls. because they rip us off.

Here's the real answer, short and sweet:
Coke gets you laid with the crazy h0es, so the price is high. Any dealer knows, any substance that can get the customer a parking spot for his schlong must be sold at the highest possible price.
See? Told you it was simple.

Here's the real answer, short and sweet:
Coke gets you laid with the crazy h0es, so the price is high. Any dealer knows, any substance that can get the customer a parking spot for his schlong must be sold at the highest possible price.
See? Told you it was simple.

I believe it was stated before, but the reason is because, other than heroin, it is the only drug that can't be manufactured within U.S. borders...
Peace.

Cocaine, as well as heroin, can be manufactured within U.S. borders (Cocaine is purely hypothetical, and I know heroin has been made in small amounts), it's just not done because it's not worth the money and labor that needs to be put into it. It's a lot easier to have large-scale harvests with extraordinarily cheap/slave labor
-ikarus

I think thats what he ment. And if we're going to get picky, why do you say cocaine manufacture in the united states is hypothetical? There is nothing hypothetical about it. It could be easily done, and I'm sure has, just not large scale.
[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: Deus121 ]

well i just think its because its a bit addictive and people will pay whatever it costs (a bit like crack)....plus it "can" be made in the US..so it makes it worse....

Cocaine and Heroin made in the US? Thats news to me! You would have to grow SO MANY acers of poppies or coca plants you would get busted, hell, even in countries with thousands of miles of open space, fileds are detected and destroyed.. the only story I found was about someone that had a warehouse of poppies, like racks upon racks - their electric bill gave them away..
What dictates cost? First, $100 a gram is WAY to much, even in the high-priced areas, you're getting ripped off... but it's the buyer that will sets the cost - if no one in your area would pay that much, prices would drop...
For $100 a gram move on to something else...

Wow! I could get 3.5 gr. for a $100 and i think that's to much:)
If you want cheaper drugs get some mexican friends...

Cool, thanx for the response. I didn't say I paid for it, hehe. When one of my friends buys a gram I usually do a few lines! Maybye if everyone in my area refuses to pay so much it will go down! Oh well, thanx.

PhreeX, I think the poster was refering to the fact that it is POSSIBLE to synthesize cocaine and heroin, not that it is practical. Although, pharmeceutical cocaine is synthesized not taken from the coca plant.
[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: RJW ]

also, bear in mind that coke is a short acting stimulant.
so, though something like meth might be more expansive gram for gram, that gram of meth will last you a whole lot longer than a gram of coke.

Danthemanz, you proved my point further...
Australia is a lot farther from the source, hence the more expensive product...
It also has a smaller border, which makes it more difficult to import without detection.
Peace.