• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Overdosing on Alprazolam

slackboxed said:
It's not like we can taper her off, she just ate all of the fucking alprazolam. If she develops a super-tolerance from this, she's fucked because she actually does have panic disorders. Is there a step up on the benzo chain or any way to taper her off this shit with out having any more alprazolam? She is still prescribed valium.

ARGH THATS THE SAME GIRL THAT ATE ALL MY OC!!! Damn that girl! Glad she didn't die though lol... What up slackb0xed you know who this is. That girl needs to go to the psych ward for real. I'm sorry I don't know her very well and I don't care what kind of contributing/noncontributing member of society she might be she needs professional help on the real. Her benzo habit makes my IV opiate habit pale Antarctically in comparison.

Valium said:
poor girl...

so stop writing all of this garbage...whats the point. you know its a lie. we know it too.

what DO YOU REALLY WANT to know? and WHY ask it here? are you that,....

nevermind. je m'exscuse.

I can tell you I know both the OP and SWIM and the only nonfactual part of the story is the supposed dose of "pure" alprazolam. It most likely was really that much powder, but I doubt it was that pure.

this is obviously the same girl that asked how much valium it would take to kill her self, this is a harm reduction site, not a "hey i want to kill myself" site.

IMPOSSIBLE. That girl would be knocked out/blacked out for several days at the very least. She takes 20mg of valium per day! The story you tell is just not possible unless she is also shooting grams and grams of meth to keep her up along with it and is a walking zombie. Even then I would not believe it. Say she took 100mg of actual alprazolam instead of the 700mg that you said she would still be blacked out for a few of days.

700mg of alprazolam within a 2 day period alongside alcohol/lsd would have her on her death bed. Toxicity vs actual effect are two very different things. Although the dose may not be toxic to her body she would still have extreme effects from the huge dose including death if mixed with enough other drugs or alcohol. I believe this is a trolling attack people. lol.

Alright im not trying to say you are lying here but cmon now 200mg of pure powder alprazolam thats 100 bars then 500 mgs thats equvilant to 250 bars no way... Thats all im saying maybe 20mg and 50 mg but the other numbers nope...

Well, the story is the best I could describe it while sort of in shell shock. SWIM did vomit several times through out the course of the night while we were playing video games.

To summarize what has happened since I posted that, the girl is still sleeping since she came down from all that acid and 500mgs for whatever fucking reason she had. The girl paid dirt for the alprazolam, nobody was paying attention to her and she just fucking ate the shit! Last thursday night maybe early friday morning she consumed 200mgs for whatever reason she had. Her whole weekend was a blur and then on tuesday night she consumes 500mgs. She sipped and killed maybe a beer to herself while she was fucked up/barred outter her mind.

Oh yeah, about the powder. SWIM obtains the shit from the North. Says the shit has been reliable for years and it has a very good purity. 98-99.7% pure alprazolam. I'm not fucking stupid though, I would never fuck around with this shit.

I've seen people who buy it just stick to a couch the second they buy it till they run out and that's pretty much the only reason they ever get up unless they gotta take a piss or drop the Cosbys off at the pool.

I gotta get on the road again everyone. Laters

Last edited:
That's quite a lot of alprazolam in a short period. I had 84mg of alprazolam (1mg Xanax IR) in less than 48 hours and don't recalll much of it.

I found a study that says that alprazolam is more toxic in overdose than other benzos, it even mentions deaths from alprazolam alone, heres that abstract;

Alprazolam is relatively more toxic than other benzodiazepines in overdose

Dr Geoffrey K. Isbister, Emergency Department, Newcastle Mater Hospital, Edith St, Waratah

To describe alprazolam poisoning and the relative toxicity of alprazolam compared with other benzodiazepines.
Methods

A database of consecutive poisoning admissions to a regional toxicology service was searched to identify consecutive benzodiazepine deliberate self poisonings, which were coded as alprazolam, diazepam or other benzodiazepine. Major outcomes used were length of stay (LOS), intensive care (ICU) admission, coma (GCS < 9), flumazenil administration and requirement for mechanical ventilation. Prescription data were obtained for benzodiazepines for the study period.
Results

There were 2063 single benzodiazepine overdose admissions: 131 alprazolam overdoses, 823 diazepam overdoses and 1109 other benzodiazepine overdoses. The median LOS for alprazolam overdoses was 19 h which was 1.27 (95% CI 1.04, 1.54) times longer compared with other benzodiazepines by multiple linear regression. For patients with alprazolam overdoses, 22% were admitted to ICU which was 2.06 (95% CI 1.27, 3.33) times more likely compared with other benzodiazepines after multivariate analysis adjusting for age, dose, gender, time to ingestion and co-ingested drugs. Flumazenil was administered to 14% of alprazolam patients and 16% were ventilated, which was significantly more than for other benzodiazepine overdoses (8% and 11%, respectively). Twelve percent of alprazolam overdoses had a GCS < 9 compared with 10% for other benzodiazepines. From benzodiazepine prescription data, total alprazolam prescriptions in Australia increased from 0.13 million in 1992 to 0.41 million in 2001. Eighty five percent of prescriptions were for panic disorder, anxiety, depression or mixed anxiety/depression.
Conclusions

Alprazolam was significantly more toxic than other benzodiazepines. The increased prescription of alprazolam to groups with an increased risk of deliberate self poisoning is concerning and needs review.

Is their a ceiling effect for benzos? After all, once all those GABA receptors are full, more won't do anything...

slackboxed said:
Recently, SWIM ate about 200mgs of (pure powdered) alprazolam one night, drank with it, and then four days later she ate about 20 gel tab hits of lsd and while she was tripping she ate around 500mgs of alprazolam all at once. She is prescribed benzos so she had a little bit of a tolerance, but holy shit I have never seen anyone so fucked up on benzos before in my entire life! She actually drank beer an hour into it. I read up on erowid that it takes about ~330mgs-2000mgs to kill lab rats with alprazolam.

How much alprazolam do you think it would take to kill a 120lb girl with a slight benzo tolerance (she is prescribed 5mg valiums 4x a day)? We're talking some pure powder here, supposidely 98-99% pure unadulterated but who the hell knows now a days ya know?

Oh the dumbass girl is alright. No serious injuries occured somehow.

BULLSHIT!!! Swim is already dead. Or Swim is a liar. Or Swim is very wrong by stating she ate 200 mg's of alprazolam. Thats 100 bars. BULLSHIT!!!

haribo1 said:
Is their a ceiling effect for benzos? After all, once all those GABA receptors are full, more won't do anything...

there might be but the more you take the longer the receptors will stay full, plus there has to be some way they become toxic because there are reports on people overdosing on benzos alone. it's just very difficult to do.

mugabe said:
I found a study that says that alprazolam is more toxic in overdose than other benzos, it even mentions deaths from alprazolam alone, heres that abstract;

That study was flawed and very limited. The study below is far larger and spanned over years of data. Look at the sources of the study. Several other studies have concluded the same thing as this, including a Swedish study and an Australian study, which I have posted on here before.

Benzodiazepines have a relatively high therapeutic index. Death after admission is rare and due to respiratory depression with aspiration of gastric contents. Over 10 years in the United Kingdom, however, 1512 fatal poisonings have been attributed to benzodiazepines with or without alcohol. These were compared with prescription data to establish a fatal toxicity index (deaths per million prescriptions) for each benzodiazepine. Similar indices have been derived for antidepressants and barbiturates. There were clear differences between benzodiazepines. Of drugs frequently prescribed, temazepam by far had the highest number of deaths per million prescriptions at 11.9 (95% confidence interval 10.9 to 12.; above that of some tricyclic antidepressants. In contrast, oxazepam had an index of 2.3 (1.2 to 3.4 ), and the average index for all benzodiazepines combined was 5.7.

Although there are potential sources of error in these studies, a bias that would lead to differences between compounds was not identified. Clinical studies can adjust for potential confounders which studies that use coronial data are unable to take into account. If differences between the benzodiazepines are supported by data from clinical studies this also adds credence to the fatal toxicity index which first noted these findings.

The aim was therefore to determine if temazepam caused more sedation and oxazepam less sedation than other benzodiazepines.

During 1991-3, 542 patients with benzodiazepine poisoning presented to the hospital, 239 of these patients, however, had ingested either more than one benzodiazepine or co-ingested other sedating drugs. The drugs ingested by the remainder were temazepam (64 ), oxazepam (45 ), diazepam (113), clonazepam (24 ), flunitrazepam (21 ), nitrazepam (1, others (1.

Details of coma scores and odds ratios of the benzodiazepines ingested showed that temazepam was significantly more toxic than most other benzodiazepines. Two out of the 45 subjects (4 who ingested oxazepam were stuporous or comatose, 38 out of the 194 subjects (19 who ingested other benzodiazepines (clonazepam, diazepam, flunitrazepam, nitrazepam and others) were stuporous or comatose, while 16 out of the 64 subjects (25 who ingested temazepam were stuporous or comatose. None of the oxazepam subjects were comatose, 16 out of the 194 subjects (8 who ingested other benzodiazepines were fully comatose, and 9 out of 64 subjects (14 who ingested temazepam were fully comatose.

The results show that there are differences between temazepam, oxazepam, and other benzodiazepines in the degree of sedation they cause in overdose, and the observed differences are not due to confounding by age, sex, dose ingested, co-ingestion of alcohol, chronic benzodiazepine use, or history of drug or alcohol abuse. This provides a plausible explanation why temazepam and oxazepam have different fatal toxicity indices from other benzodiazepines.

The sedation produced by benzodiazepines in therapeutic doses and overdose has a poor correlation with measured drug concentration but is increased with rapid absorption. Temazepam is more rapidly absorbed and oxazepam is more slowly absorbed than other benzodiazepines. Further research is required to determine if the rate of absorption is different in overdose and is sufficient to explain the differences in sedation. Slowing the rate of absorption may reduce toxicity, but this would also reduce their sedative effect in therapeutic doses. Drug regulatory authorities should be aware that changes in formulation of benzodiazepines may affect toxicity in overdose.

Pharmacodynamic factors such as benzodiazepine receptor affinity and potency may also be important. Because of the wide variations in half life, adjustments for dose by conversion into defined daily doses or diazepam equivalents is imperfect. These are designed to compare use rather than potency. Though they correlate reasonably well with sizes of prescriptions and tablets, they may not account for potency per tablet taken in overdose.

SOURCES:

Gaudreault P, Guay J, Thivierge RL, Verdy I (1991). "Benzodiazepine poisoning. Clinical and pharmacological considerations and treatment". Drug Saf 6 (4): 247–65. PMID 1888441.

Höjer J, Baehrendtz S, Gustafsson L (1989). "Benzodiazepine poisoning: experience of 702 admissions to an intensive care unit during a 14-year period". J. Intern. Med 226 (2): 117–22. PMID 2769176.

Serfaty M, Masterton G (1993). "Fatal poisonings attributed to benzodiazepines in Britain during the 1980s". Br J Psychiatry 163: 386–93. PMID 8104653.

Cassidy S, Henry J (1987). "Fatal toxicity of antidepressant drugs in overdose". Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 295 (6605): 1021–4. PMID 3690249.

Johns MW (1977). "Self-poisoning with barbiturates in England and Wales during 1959-74". Br Med J 1 (6069): 1128–30. PMID 861497.

Dwyer PS, Jones IF (1984). "Fatal self-poisoning in the UK and the paracetamol/dextropropoxyphene combination". Hum Toxicol 3 Suppl: 145S–174S.

Serfaty M, Masterton G (1993). "Fatal poisonings attributed to benzodiazepines in Britain during the 1980s". Br J Psychiatry 163: 386–93.

Buckley NA, Dawson AH, Whyte IM, O'Connell DL (1995). "Relative toxicity of benzodiazepines in overdose". BMJ 310 (6974): 219–21.

Serfaty M, Masterton G (1993). "Fatal poisonings attributed to benzodiazepines in Britain during the 1980s". Br J Psychiatry 163: 386–93.

Gaudreault P, Guay J, Thivierge RL, Verdy I (1991). "Benzodiazepine poisoning. Clinical and pharmacological considerations and treatment". Drug Saf 6 (4): 247–65.

Busto U, Kaplan HL, Sellers EM (1980). "Benzodiazepine-associated emergencies in Toronto". Am J Psychiatry 137 (2): 224–7.

Fuccella LM, Bolcioni G, Tamassia V, Ferrario L, Tognoni G (1977). "Human pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of temazepam administered in soft gelatin capsules". Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol 12 (5): 383–6.

Greenblatt DJ, Harmatz JS, Engelhardt N, Shader RI (1989). "Pharmacokinetic determinants of dynamic differences among three benzodiazepine hypnotics. Flurazepam, temazepam, and triazolam". Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 46 (4): 326–32.

Gaudreault P, Guay J, Thivierge RL, Verdy I (1991). "Benzodiazepine poisoning. Clinical and pharmacological considerations and treatment". Drug Saf 6 (4): 247–65.

Busto U, Kaplan HL, Sellers EM (1980). "Benzodiazepine-associated emergencies in Toronto". Am J Psychiatry 137 (2): 224–7.

Fuccella LM, Bolcioni G, Tamassia V, Ferrario L, Tognoni G (1977). "Human pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of temazepam administered in soft gelatin capsules". Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol 12 (5): 383–6.
Greenblatt DJ, Harmatz JS, Engelhardt N, Shader RI (1989). "Pharmacokinetic determinants of dynamic differences among three benzodiazepine hypnotics. Flurazepam, temazepam, and triazolam". Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 46 (4): 326–32.

Mitler MM (1981). "Evaluation of temazepam as a hypnotic". Pharmacotherapy 1 (1): 3–13.

Alexander B, Perry PJ (1991). "Detoxification from temazepam: schedules and strategies". J Subst Abuse Treat 8 (1-2): 9–17.

Serfaty M, Masterton G (1993). "Fatal poisonings attributed to temazepam in Britain during the 1980s". Br J Psychiatry 163: 386–93.

Temazepam is a drug which is very frequently involved in drug intoxication, including overdose. Overdose of temazepam may result in excessive sedation, impairment of balance and speech. This may progress in severe overdoses to respiratory depression or coma and possibly death. The risk of overdose is increased if temazepam is taken in combination with alcohol, opiates or other CNS depressants. Temazepam overdose responds to the benzodiazepine receptor antagonist flumazenil.

Benzodiazepines were implicated in 39% of suicides by drug poisoning in Sweden, with temazepam, nitrazepam and flunitrazepam accounting for 90% of benzodiazepine implicated suicides, in the elderly over a period of 2 decades. In three quarters of cases death was due to drowning, typically in the bath. Benzodiazepines were the predominant drug class used in suicides in this review of Swedish death certificates with 72% of benzodiazepine overdoses showing that benzodiazepines were the sole drug used in deaths by overdose. Benzodiazepines and in particular temazepam, nitrazepam and flunitrazepam should therefore be prescribed with caution in the elderly. Nitrazepam, and especially temazepam were the benzodiazepines most commonly detected in overdose related drug deaths in an Australian study of drug deaths. The two benzodiazepines were found to be the sole cause of death in one third of cases.

In a retrospective study of deaths, when benzodiazepines were implicated in the deaths, the benzodiazepines flunitrazepam, temazepam and nitrazepam were the most common benzodiazepines involved. Benzodiazepines were a factor in all deaths caused by drug addiction in the study. Temazepam, nitrazepam and flunitrazepam were significantly more commonly implicated in suicide related deaths than natural deaths. In four of the cases benzodiazepines alone were the only cause of death. It was concluded that flunitrazepam, nitrazepam, and temazepam were significantly more toxic than other benzodiazepines.

From a research perspective, there are several data acquired through scientific research that suggest temazepam is more frequently involved in drug-related deaths than are all other benzodiazepines. Temazepam is also the benzodiazepine that is by far the most commonly targeted in pharmacy burglaries and prescription forgeries.

SOURCES:

Zevzikovas A, Kiliuviene G, Ivanauskas L, Dirse V (2002). "[Analysis of benzodiazepine derivative mixture by gas-liquid chromatography]" (in Lithuanian). Medicina (Kaunas) 38 (3): 316–20.

Carlsten, A; Waern M, Holmgren P, Allebeck P (2003). "The role of benzodiazepines in elderly suicides". Scand J Public Health 31 (3): 224-8.

Drummer OH; Ranson DL (Dec 1996). "Sudden death and benzodiazepines". Am J Forensic Med Pathol 17 (4): 336-42.

Ericsson HR, Holmgren P, Jakobsson SW, Lafolie P, De Rees B (1993). "[Benzodiazepine findings in autopsy material. A study shows interacting factors in fatal cases]" (in Swedish). Lakartidningen 90 (45): 3954–7.

Injecting Temazepam -- Temazepam Injection and Diversion. Victorian Governmant Health Information (29 March, 2007).

Benzodiazepines have always been regarded as remarkably non-toxic drugs. However, they are not completely safe. They are involved in up to 40% of all self poisoning incidents. Between 1980 and 1989 there were 1512 suicides attributed to benzodiazepine overdose. In 2/3 of these cases the drug was taken alone, in 1/3 with alcohol.

Temazepam, the commonest hypnotic used today, turned out to be the most toxic. The risk of a fatal outcome form benzodiazepine overdosage is greatly increased in the elderly and in people with lung disease, and benzodiazepines increase the risks of fatality if taken with many other drugs not included in this analysis. The combination of benzodiazepines with opiates causes almost 100 deaths each year among drug abusers in Glasgow alone. The cause of benzodiazepine fatalities is depression of respiration: They impair function in brain centres vital for breathing.

That's from the ultimate source on Benzos online - http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashspeech.htm

those are some hardcore doses... luckily benzos have a very high safety margin (it takes ridiculous amounts to overdose, i mean, lethally). I mean, I usually dont feel even 12mg of clonazepam while im trying to overpower a speed or mdma crash... but in the triple digits? ALPRAZOLAM!? shit. like, even with the much less potent diazepam those are insane doses...

^Temazepam is most toxic? That sucks cuz it happens to be among my favorite benzos (yeah, i know, many will disagree but something about the hypnotic benzos, they feel different, and better IMO. Flurazepam is nice too but not as nice)

But I mean, in response to this article... Is it really a surprise that temazepam is more sedating? a 60mg dose can knock me out, while 6mg of alprazolam doesnt even come close... again, I think they just work differently (the anxiety vs hypnotic benzos, not even -pam or -lam)

Her whole weekend was a blur and then on tuesday night she consumes 500mgs. She sipped and killed maybe a beer to herself while she was fucked up/barred outter her mind.

BULL-FUCKING-SHIT. Someone who has dosed a half a gram of xanax is unable to walk, speak coherently, and is almost definitely passed-the-fuck-out. There is no way she would be able to drink a beer with it.

Why do people make up stupid stories like this? I don't care what kind of tolerance you have, no one has one high enough in that it would be possible.

You are the kind of people that give fodder to the anti-drug warriors. Fuck off with this shit, you just killed my god damned buzz.

actually, i think it might be possible if you spent years building a tolerance but the point is he also said she had a low benzo tolerance so that makes it pretty unbelievable. i can recall instances of being put out like a light bulb from doses around 4 or 5 mg of xanax. i don't see how someone without a tolerance could remain awake on 500 mgs.

^ Right! He mentioned a low tolerance but even if you had one of say, 20mg (which is rather high), and you proceeded to take 25x that amount, then that is similar to a first timer taking 25 bars and there is no fucking way they will be conscious. I know it is POSSIBLE, but it would be some kind of a miracle.

haribo1 said:

A lot of benzos effects are due to their effect of potentiating GABA, and partly due to their actions as direct agonists.

It's a pretty complicated subject, but it seems unlikely.

biggerstronger said:
IMPOSSIBLE. That girl would be knocked out/blacked out for several days at the very least. She takes 20mg of valium per day! The story you tell is just not possible unless she is also shooting grams and grams of meth to keep her up along with it and is a walking zombie. Even then I would not believe it. Say she took 100mg of actual alprazolam instead of the 700mg that you said she would still be blacked out for a few of days.

700mg of alprazolam within a 2 day period alongside alcohol/lsd would have her on her death bed. Toxicity vs actual effect are two very different things. Although the dose may not be toxic to her body she would still have extreme effects from the huge dose including death if mixed with enough other drugs or alcohol. I believe this is a trolling attack people. lol.

Except that nothing you've said is based in fact. With very limited alcohol intake, it could easily be survived. The LSD would have no effect on toxicity.

Like I said earlier, with an LD50 above 1g/kg, 500mg doesn't even begin to approach a lethal dose. Assuming very little alcohol was consumed, there's no reason to believe she couldn't survive this.

To stay awake on it, however? I dunno.