Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Shitty Poppy Seeds

Tortoise

Bluelighter
Has anybody else noticed how shit the poppy seeds sold in supermarkets are at present? I've always used the same brand, mainly because that's the only brand I can find and the colour of their seeds has recently changed from dark grey to light grey and slightly brown with little bits of poppy straw. Unfortunately, the tea made from these seeds is not very psychoactive. What's a PST fiend to do?

They are being more thoughouly irradiated. The best seeds are imported.

your in astralia right?

im guessin since the section of forums you posted this in, but anyways ive heard that the poppys grown in australia for pharmaceutical companies and the seeds for the spicing companies, are grown with i think more thebaine than morphine in em to deter anybody from robbin the fields in the middle of the night.

im not sure if this is totally accurate, but im bout positive that australias poppy crops are grown specially so their not of any use to anybody who cant process them with the right knowledge or equipment.

Apparently the poppy seed thing used to work, but sometime recently it stopped doing so. I know cause I spent a LOT of time reading the entire poppy seed thread one day when I was bored, and eventually people started posting that instead of getting high, they were getting sick when they tried to make poppy seed tea.

If you know where to look online, you can still get useable poppy seeds. Some people try buying in bulk, others go to those herbal type sites that may provide uncleaned poppy seeds. Have a look around, you might find something.

Last edited:
hoyts are hit and miss...... a friend had a good dose on them two days ago.

saucy2040 said:
your in astralia right?

im guessin since the section of forums you posted this in, but anyways ive heard that the poppys grown in australia for pharmaceutical companies and the seeds for the spicing companies, are grown with i think more thebaine than morphine in em to deter anybody from robbin the fields in the middle of the night.

im not sure if this is totally accurate, but im bout positive that australias poppy crops are grown specially so their not of any use to anybody who cant process them with the right knowledge or equipment.

I think the whole thebaine strain issue is abit of a myth. I don't have the source handy atm unfortunately, but I read an article recently (edit: oops, i mean a bluelight thread) that explained how unlikely it would be for poppy seeds bought in the supermarket to contain the thebaine strain of poppies. Evidently, that particular strain is quite rare, used by a small amount of growers in tasmania.

They look similar, but the poppies from the thebaine high strain will excrete a red colored sap, whereas it is a white color from standard poppies (according to the article). From the reports on here of the people who tried growing from store bought seeds, none sounded like the thebaine specific strain.

Poppy seed tea has always been pretty hit and miss for me. A few times there's been promising results ,and other times I've thought like the whole experience is just a giant placebo effect. I guess it comes down to how well the seeds have been washed. Maybe the seed companies are starting to clean them even better now, but I suspect there are still a few brands around that might work - not that I've tried it recently.

Last edited:
I brought some from an asian supermarket, they didn't go to well... Quite a let down really.. i like my relaxing tea.

i recently bought a 3kg bag of poppy seeds from a wholesaler for quite cheap (cost of a tinny :p )

i made a "tea" using 500g and smoked some cannibus, and fuck IT IS GOOD! lasts 6hr+ and i was nearly nodding out.

thebaine isnt a myth.. unle4ss its something else in there giving toxic body feelings thinking you're gonna die with no morphine/codeine high.?

I just want to elaborate that this has happened before and eventually the quality of the seeds picked up again a month or two later. My point is that it is seasonal. At different times of the year, the same brand must use different suppliers and the supplier they are using at the moment is shit.

Regarding Tasmanian poppies and their high thebaine count; that may be true (I don't really know) but that isn't really relevant as Hoyts may be Australian owned but they don't necessarily use Australian poppy seeds.

Anyway, I found some of the darker seeds yesterday and I'm eager to try them. Will let you know how it goes.

Yeah, I bought the same ones I usually buy, come in 1 oz bags at my local supermarket. Lately they have sucked. I got sick as hell the last time, no high, ended up getting the shakes and puking. I am going to have to buy in bulk now.

i dont really know what sort of strain of poppies they grow in tasmania but they do get you pretty well on the nod.good shit.boiled up ,reduced into tar

datsunfan said:
i dont really know what sort of strain of poppies they grow in tasmania but they do get you pretty well on the nod.good shit.boiled up ,reduced into tar

I thought boiling PST destroyed the morphine?

What do you do with the tar, smoke it or eat it? I tried smoking it once but it just didn't work.

Splatt said:
thebaine isnt a myth.. unle4ss its something else in there giving toxic body feelings thinking you're gonna die with no morphine/codeine high.?

Noscapine? Oleaminde? Thebaine can cause anxiety and 'seizures' at high doses thugh apparently- pre-seizure feelings are pretty shocking :\ I guess you;d know.

I have never gotten sick or anything off dud seeds, just NOT HIGH. Good seeds have me nodding as hard as a shot of heroin or morphine- and should therefore be treated with as much respect, if not more becuae its impossible to guage your dose, except through taste and that only comes with familiarity... The best seeds I've had were Indian blue seeds- except that I felt dangerously close to passing out the entire time, and was completely and utterly fucked out of my head. I learned then to go for smaller doses, spread over a period of time to get a feel for it.

By the way, GSK do supply the poppy seeds for most australian spice companies, and they are genetically modified to be higher in thebaine not to deter theft but to create more specific opioids- oxycodone, bupe, naloxone, oxymorphone, naltrexone, etc are made largely using thebaine. Thebain is quite stimulating.

I use 500 grams of hoyts each time. i find if I am going to get a buzz off them it can take a couple of hours, prefer CWE of codeine myself

So I gave it one more try...

After a fairly long break from any opiates, I decided to give poppy seed tea another shot. In all my previous attempts, I'd only really gotten mild effects at best. So I decided to use twice the dose I'd done in the past. Usually I'd have started with a small dose to gauge strength, but this brand had been fairly consistent for me in the past, and assuming they were of similar strength, I didn't want to waste any on a smaller dose as I wouldn't have had enough left for a stronger one. They were standard, supermarket purchased seeds and given my previous experiences, I was expecting little, if any effects. As it turns out, I'd vastly underestimated the strength of them. Around an hour after dosing I was feeling very pleasant, but over the proceeding hour it continued to increase in strength to a stage I wasn't quite comfortable with.

I felt incredibly sedated, and a strong urge to fall asleep. It took all my effort not to - I wasn't sure if that was a good idea on a high dose or not, since I felt like I needed to concentrate on my breathing (otherwise I'd forget to). My pupils were also incredibly tiny, something which I don't think I've experienced from poppy seed tea before. The effects were felt strongly for at least 8 hours, during all of which I felt like I would pass out at any second. I'd planned on watching a couple movies while on the tea, but I ended up being too out of it to do anything except lay on the couch completely zoned out.

In many of the past threads about tea someone will always mention to be careful dosing due to the variance in strength, and to start out low. That's great advice, and in retrospect something I should have considered yesterday when I consumed my dose, instead of assuming they would just be weak like in the past.

^Yeah, I have been absolutely floored from PST. One memorable time, which involved indian blue seeds, I would compare in effect to heroin or morphine (at the doses I've had those drugs)...completely nodding, but slighty uncomfortable. I rather opium :)

from my experience, you can tell if the seeds are worth buying by looking closely at them. If they stick together in little clumps when tumbling down to the bottom of the packet they will create a dark, bitter tea. Which is essentially what you want.

Some great information in here! I always figured that Poppy seeds in Australia were fairly dud. Great to see I'm incorrect (for the most part)! :)

Now, I know the rule about no sources, but what about brands of the poppy seeds? If not, tell me and I'll remove this almost-request :)