• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cannabis withdrawal and Sleepless nights

strawdogg

Greenlighter
Hello all, I am new here and you people seem pretty cool so I wondered if you might have an opinion on my issues and if you care to reply.

I seem to be in a spot. After 27 years of cannabis abuse I have stopped. I stopped 7 weeks ago.

The dreaming I have become used to again, and yes, at first I was somewhat freaked.

My main issue is that I am having serious sweats at sleep time, even after 7 weeks abstinance. How long do I have to put up with this for?

As you might guess the lack of sleep makes each days experience fractured.

I know this can be usual for a previous heavy user, but can anybody share their experience if comparable please?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to reading your thoughts .

get some diphenhydramine (benadryl or any over the counter sleep aide)

hey strawdogg..

i'm suprised you're still noticing major issues after almost two months. hopefully someone will be able to give some input on their experiences since cessation is one area i'm not particularly familiar with (lol)

1. do sports until you are absolutely exhausted
2. eat lots of healthy food
3. talk to your doctor, tell him your story. i think tricyclic antidepressives like amitriptilin could maybe help you, ask your doc.
4. dont take any neuroleptics

just my opinion. good luck!

It can be really tough, I know.

Exercise (This is very important, so you will be tired at night)
Eat a lot
Smoke cigarettes?
Enjoy your newfound energy

Just ride it out man, it WILL get better. I've done it, and it's worth it.

^How is smoking ciggarettes sposed to be of any help to the him man?

Reading before going to sleep usually helps me. Its been like 6 months since I quit and most nights I still have trouble getting to sleep.

Are you sure it's pot withdrawal and not something else? I'd go to a doctor if I were you just to make sure. I've never heard of pot withdrawals lasting that long and I've known a lot of older folks who smoked for decades and then quit, with only mild psychological withdrawals. Something else might be going on here.

I get the exact same way, however I've only smoked for 3 1/2 years, and only managed to stop for a week max (every now and then) after becoming a daily smoker. I sweat profusely. However, I would hope I wouldn't be experiencing that for 7 weeks...that is really long. I'm surprised you actually haven't started smoking again. Good for you. Sorry I can't really give advice

Man, 27 years is a hell of a long time and your body has become used to it, it has become, for all intents and purposes, something your body expects each day and now your body is thrown into haywire by sudden cessation. You would've been better to reducing slowly by only doing it 3 days a week and then just at weekend and then cut it out altogether. This gives your body a chance to get used to the changes.

Going to the gym is excellent advice as it will speed your metabolism up and help pump out any 'crap' in your body, it will also help to get your mind onto something else and is a great 'swap' - providing a replacement.

Also, before stopping anything after such long term use, a visit to the Dr would have been a definite wise move. A 'good' Dr will be able to provide advice, support, ideas, possibly some form of medication to help in the short term, vitamins and mineral supplements etc. The pro's of going to see a Dr certainly are many and I'd recommend a visit as soon as possible (maybe under a false name if you are worried about it being on file OR call up some Drug Advice centre maybe they can provide some help in the form of anonymous medical advice etc or have Dr's on file that are 'understanding and helpful')

I am new here and you people seem pretty cool

Booga snooya sa! Kayayayaya koooko lo-oo-o-ooo e e e susnsusnsusn!! Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkalasnooo snoo, ffffffffffffffffflarg muns sim coo coo...coo?

Ah, the sweats- given your intake (over that long time) they will last a while- it seems when sleeping the body does a bit of repair and expulsion if neccesary (they vary in kind ;)), and if you supressed that for a long time, then it will have to take a while to regain equilibrrrium, Anyway, one good idea may be to go to a sauna and sweat out what is effectively chemicals being excreted through sweat glands weridl... There are chinese medicianla threapies that have helped friends of mine through the nightsweats; but to be hinest, I get them most nights (and I smoke heavily) so it may be something you just naturaly do. Miss Willow ends up coiled in a wrap on blanket as I bathe the bed in (yucky-ER) man-juice.

Either way, drink plenty of water to rehydrate- even get one of those electrolyte concentrates from a pharmacist- and don't be too concerned about the sweating. Its not pleasant for anyone involved, but itd a sign of your body ridding itself of something- and we'll assume, in this case, that its weed related. In time, it WILL pass.

bud pipe said:

Don't wanna totally dissagree with you, but I totally disagree with you. Seroquel is very unessecary here. Its way too potent a drug to deal with something like this, IMO. :\

brainbug said:
1. do sports until you are absolutely exhausted
2. eat lots of healthy food
3. talk to your doctor, tell him your story. i think tricyclic antidepressives like amitriptilin could maybe help you, ask your doc.
4. dont take any neuroleptics

just my opinion. good luck!
hmm...why no nuroleptics?

Well thank you all very much. The last week has been better, back doing more exercise. I have always had an abundance of energy, the spliff allowed me to sit down and relax I used to think.

As for the crazy nights, it is just a process I cannot avoid. I understand that cannabis is absorbed into the body fat. Exercise is a certain way forward. I think I shall steer clear of the pharmaceuticals mind you, stick with a beer or a tot in the cocoa last thing.

I love to read mind you so anybody got a great book to be getting on with?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

catasawrus said:
hmm...why no nuroleptics?

Um...because that would be similar to treating a stubbed toe with a shot of heroin? Too extreme I think. If withdrawals are really bad, the strongest medication should be short term benzo's, but even that I would avoid. For me nothing stops the horrible weed withdrawal except weed; fortuntely it passes pretty quickly...still sucks though.

Good books: Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds, hardcore intense sci fi stuff. :)