Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

FDA May Ease Prescription-Drug Rules

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
FDA May Ease Prescription-Drug Rules
By JENNIFER CORBETT DOOREN
WSJ
October 4, 2007

WASHINGTON -- The Food and Drug Administration may establish a "behind the counter" system allowing more drugs that currently require a prescription to be sold without one.

In a notice set to be published in today's Federal Register, the agency announced a Nov. 14 hearing to explore "the public health benefit of drugs being available without a prescription but only after intervention by a pharmacist."

Such intervention could require a pharmacist to make sure a patient meets certain criteria to get a particular drug and to instruct the patient how to properly use it.

Currently, most drugs are sold either with a prescription or over the counter in retail stores and pharmacies. The agency has carved out a few exceptions, including limiting distribution of Barr Pharmaceuticals Inc. "Plan B" emergency-contraceptive pill to pharmacies that agreed to keep it behind the counter and to require women to show a photo identification to prove they are age 18 or older.

Some groups that have called for a behind-the-counter status for drugs have said it might allow certain drugs sold with a prescription to be safely sold without one.

In 2005, an FDA panel of outside medical experts turned down a bid by Merck & Co. and Johnson & Johnson to sell Mevacor, a cholesterol-lowering drug, without a prescription. Several panel members said the FDA should consider establishing a behind-the-counter system that would allow consumers to purchase Mevacor from pharmacists much like the British are allowed to purchase Merck's Zocor, another cholesterol-lowering drug. Most panel members said that, if such a system existed in the U.S., they would have voted to allow Mevacor to be sold without a prescription.

The FDA noted that other countries with behind-the-counter status include Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Denmark, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland.

Along with a Nov. 14 meeting to solicit public comments on the issue, the FDA said it is also seeking written or electronic comments on the issue until Nov. 28.

The agency said it wants input such issues as whether there should be a behind-the-counter status for certain drugs and whether the status should be a transitional way for prescription products to eventually move to over-the-counter status, where consumers can purchase products on store shelves. Other questions include the impact on patient safety and whether it would improve access to medications.

The agency said certain logistical questions would need to be addressed, including pharmacy storage and dispensing of the medications along with questions about whether and how pharmacists might be reimbursed.

Link!

sooo.... OTC amoxacillin? I can't wait to see what, if any, they choose to make behind the counter/OTC, and what their reasoning will be!

That'd be cool. Don't get too excited about anything recreational being available, however.

^^
"Reasoning"
Probably safety and financial. Here come the lobbyists!

lol tru!

a small part of me is hoping for codeine to be in that list, despite my logical side telling me it's about as likely to be on the list as fentanyl.

^^ No doubt, though perhaps tramadol could be. Antibiotics, cholestrol drugs, insulin, and the like should all be available without a rx, its just more humane than forcing people to continue to inflate the healthcare system already bloated to the point of being based on greedly supercapitalist extortion that literally kills millions of the impoverished masses.

haha watch the wording mulberry man - ALL medicine should be available w/o an rx!

Oh, no doubt, but its not too likely, greed is stil the prevalent way of life in our society today. But for medicine that saves lives, capitalism = extortion and prohibition = genocide.

Lol dude you're jumping to conclusions. How is denying someone medication genocide? If someone has a disease, and nobody brings them medication, that's not really tantamount to genocide....

bingalpaws said:
lol tru!

a small part of me is hoping for codeine to be in that list, despite my logical side telling me it's about as likely to be on the list as fentanyl.

It probably will not help much IF codeine is "BTC". In 2000 my state NC,USA allowed codeine cough syrup to be dispensed without a script. You had to show ID and sign a form that you had not bought that week and would not share. I bought several bottles for myself.

My independent pharmacy went out of business. Several months later I went to 6 to 8 chain drug stores trying to buy a bottle for my wife (terrible cold and cough). I had assured her "honey no need to go to the doctor today (Friday). If your cough is not better tomorrow, I can buy the same thing the doc scripts." Long story short, It turned into a fucking QUEST to buy 4 oz. of codeine syrup.

I was 45 years old, gray hair, glasses. I look so straight, most people think the mere sight of a joint, would be injurious to my health. If anyone in NC looks clean cut enough to buy codeine cough syrup, it was me. They even put Turpine HCL (tastes like turpentine) in it so you get sick from 3 or 4 spoons full. I wore Kaki pants and a blue button down shirt ON A FUCKING SATURDAY TO BUY COUGH SYRUP.

I spent all Saturday trying to buy some with no luck. All the pharmacists said they did not sell it, "because it draws a bad element to their store".

It sounds great on paper, but in practice it is hard to buy codeine when "behind the counter" in my area. Not sure if it is still Schedule V in NC now or not.

I didn't even think of that but it makes sense, even if a few good ones are allowed through (which I doubt they will be...), it's unlikely it'll be very convenient for most.

What good drugs might be available OTC or BTC, which seems to make more sense here?

Codeine will definitely be. It's already legal OTC by DEA guidelines.

Lomotil, perhaps (Diphenoxylate + Atropine)

Tramadol

perhaps a low-dose benzo for panic attacks?

Marijuana (oh, that'd make sense... silly)

Suboxone? It's C5, now right? imho it should be available otc for addicts

Not much else, is there?

This is something I've been wanting for a long fucking time. It doesn't make sense that so many friggin drugs can't be purchased without a doc. Doctors exist to diagnose and treat disease. Pharmacists are there to get the right pills to the right people.

As it is under this current system, pharmacists are nothing more than educated bean counters.

hmmm, erowid's saying codeine is a schedule II or III federally depending what strength, which would be illegal by DEA guidelines.

It'd be really, really cool to see what you're listing, but I can't see it happening. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see tramadol available, and codeine, as I have such low opiate tolerance :). I just can't see it happening with *anything* in the following families, and I'm talking no exceptions: amphetamines (extending into methylphenidate/ritalin as well), benzodiazepines, and opiates. I'll be stunned silent if I can go to a pharmacy and purchase, w/o a script, anything from any of those 3 classes, regardless of how weak it is.

A lot of wishful thinking going on here. ;)

Do you guys think that the doctors will be against this?

I can't even imagine being able to buy codeine or any of the things mentioned above OTC or BTC. Most people I've encountered in parmacies will look at me strangely when I try to but Benzedrex or Robitussin, and I don't exactly fit the description of someone who might "look like a junkie," either.

Denying sick people medicine they need to prevent them from dying simply because they cannot afford it might not actually amount to genocide, per se, but it is equivalent to exterminating poor people, which the government has a real penchant for.

phrozen said:

Yeah there is! If we could some how place online bets for this, I'd put my money where my mouth is and restate - nothing from the benzo, opiate, or amphetamine families, no matter how weak, will be BTC.

I think they will be, of course! In a nutshell this is an idea to reduce doctor's visits for certain scripts, so anyone who needed (insert soon to be BTC med here) won't have to pay for a doctor's visit anymore!

That's teh thing I hate though. Certain people (*cough* me *cough) actually know sooo much about anything they put in their body, that they know more than the doctor they see, which makes having to get a permission slip from someone who's less knowledgable than you regarding said drug pretty frustrating! I was recently at the docs and I could've told the woman more about SSRI's and benzos than she knew, it was pathetic. Yet it's her pen that I need to have write for me if I want these items, which is retarded given that she barely understands them.

mulberryman said:
I can't even imagine being able to buy codeine or any of the things mentioned above OTC or BTC. Most people I've encountered in parmacies will look at me strangely when I try to but Benzedrex or Robitussin, and I don't exactly fit the description of someone who might "look like a junkie," either.

Denying sick people medicine they need to prevent them from dying simply because they cannot afford it might not actually amount to genocide, per se, but it is equivalent to exterminating poor people, which the government has a real penchant for.
Dude, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. When I hear a word 'genocide', I think of obscenities against mankind, like what's going on in certain parts of africa right now. To hear someone call our medical system something like state-sanctioned genocide is just, well, it's about as alarmist as you can get. We all hate it when reporters write such alarmist, buzz word-laden articles about our interests, and if you agree then I'd say it's kinda unfair to turn around and write in the same style.

I smell drug company lobbying, LOL. Sounds cool to me tho, lots of people waste money seeing a doctor who's guaranteed to give them what they want. Why have two middlemen (doctor + pharmacist) in cases where you only need one.

phrozen said:

Ethical doctors should be all for it. Doctors in it for the money will do anything to make sure as many drugs as possible stay rx only.

^^Right.

What about insurance companies?
They don't cover OTC meds. Are they going to cover BTC meds? I'd imagine that they won't cover them, and that they'll be for anything that'll pad their bottom line.

bingalpaws said:
haha watch the wording mulberry man - ALL medicine should be available w/o an rx!

It's because of you that it isn't.